Sisterly Love?

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

CagneyBT

Sisterly Love?

Post by CagneyBT »

I’m sure that this Boston Post article from June 9, 1927 has been mentioned in the forum. It’s an interview with an anonymous friend of Lizzie’s after Lizzie’s death. Although much of the article rings true to what we now know, as with all anonymous sources, it should be taken with a grain of salt.

The friend is quoted as saying: “Her sister, Miss Emma L. Borden, with whom she was never congenial, left her 20 years ago and the two never met again. Miss Emma Borden was 10 years older than Lizzie and never had they been happy together. The Borden family was not a very happy one anyway,” declared the friend.
“Both girls detested their stepmother. Emma liked her even less than Lizzie. After trying to live together for 13 years after the tragic occurrence in their home, the sisters agreed to separate.”

I next located this article in The Evening Herald, dated April 14, 1920. It’s a report of an event at Club Calumet, located in the A. J. Borden building, which Lizzie and Emma co-owned:

“Club Calumet Dedicates Its New Rooms in A.J. Borden Building on S. Main St. - Dancing Follows Reception - Hundreds of members and invited guests of Club Calumet gathered last night at the club’s new suite of rooms in the A.J. Borden building at the corner of South Main and Anawan streets for a reception and housewarming. The presence of a large number of ladies – wives, sisters and sweethearts of the members – contributed to make the event even more notable and dancing followed the reception. The Elite orchestra, John Vezina, leader, furnished the music. Each guest was presented a rose or a pink. A large basket of beautiful pinks, sent by Misses Lizzie and Emma L. Borden, graced the ladies’ palor, where the ladies of the club held an informal entertainment.”

It’s believed that the sisters had no personal contact after Emma left in 1905. Lawyers and business consultants would have handled any legal or property matters, omitting the need for the sisters to speak or write to each other.

Regarding the gift of flowers, perhaps one of the sisters took it upon herself to send them on behalf of them both. But both articles made me wonder...contrary to belief, did Lizzie and Emma have sporadic contact over the years when required to by social etiquette? Or did they always dislike each other and the story of Emma’s devotion as “little mother” was simply a myth amped up by the defense and Lizzie’s supporters?
camgarsky4

Re: Sisterly Love?

Post by camgarsky4 »

Cagney -- I really enjoy the new little tidbits you continuously find and post. I keep thinking I've scrubbed the local newspapers, but you go right on surprising me with something new! :)

I would suspect the flowers sent by the sisters were actually sent at the instruction of Charles C. Cook, business manager for the property as basically a thank you and recognition to a tenant. That is a pretty common type of thing done even today for good clients....passive participation in their celebrations.
CagneyBT

Post by CagneyBT »

Camgarsky, thank you so much for the kind feedback..much appreciated!😁

You make a great point about Cook acting on the sisters’ behalf in regard to the flowers. That’s the most likely scenario and makes perfect sense.

Based on the Boston Post article, I still wonder about Lizzie and Emma’s true relationship. I’m sure they loved each other in a familial way, but did they even like each other? Their personalities were so different, and of course, there was also a 10-year age difference. Based on what we know, they didn’t seem to have much in common.

We’ve speculated about Lizzie’s personality and possible mental disorders. Was Emma’s role more of a caregiver/companion to Lizzie than a devoted sister? Emma fulfilled her duty by supporting Lizzie during the trial. They continued to live together for 13 years. What possibly could have happened that severed their relationship forever in 1905?
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

I don't think the timing of their estrangement and Lizzie's friendship with Nance is coincidental. And the friendship was only possible because of the wealth the girls inherited because of AJB's death. Albeit many years before.

Taking that thought a bit further and purely speculating....if Lizzie did the killing and Emma knew it, perhaps Emma was appalled that gaining access to his money via his premature death was enabling a lifestyle that Emma thought degenerate and Emma felt great shame and new found repulsion with Lizzie's actions. The combination created an emotion in Emma that time didn't erase. Just tossing out possibilities.
CagneyBT

Post by CagneyBT »

"if Lizzie did the killing and Emma knew it, perhaps Emma was appalled that gaining access to his money via his premature death was enabling a lifestyle that Emma thought degenerate and Emma felt great shame and new found repulsion with Lizzie's actions. The combination created an emotion in Emma that time didn't erase. Just tossing out possibilities."

Great point, Camgarsky. Definitely food for thought.

Here’s an old thread on this topic: what made Emma leave Lizzie?
viewtopic.php?t=2642

The Boston Sunday Herald, June 3, 1905 (from the Lizzie Borden Sourcebook):

"...All sorts of reasons for the quarrel between the sisters have been afloat, but the best founded ones involve the name of Nance O’Neil, the actress, and also that of Miss Lizzie’s coachman, Joseph Tetrault...Some three or four years ago, it was said, there came near a rupture of friendliness between the sisters because of Miss Emma’s dislike for some of the doings and position of the coachman. That ended in the dismissal of the coachman, and he returned to his former trade, a barber. After a time, the talk subsided and again Tetrault became the coachman in the Borden establishment. Miss Emma is said to have still found offense in his comfortable preferment. Tetrault was a fine looking young man and reported to be very popular among the ladies, although Miss Emma took a dislike to him."

According to this article, the conflict between Emma & Lizzie concerning Tetrault started in 1901 or 1902. Emma was allegedly advised to leave Maplecroft by Rev. Buck prior to the reverend’s death in 1903. Based on the time frame, we can surmise that Rev. Buck’s advice to leave was instigated by the situation with the coachman.

Lizzie’s relationship with Tetrault could have been completely benign; she may have showed appreciation for his service with tokens or monetary gifts. Maybe it was a budding romance, a situation that would have certainly offended Fall River’s socially elite, including Emma. Did Emma suspect Tetrault of being a gigolo and confronted Lizzie about his possible intentions? Emma may even have questioned Lizzie about her own intentions toward him. Whatever the reasons, he was dismissed. Did Emma dismiss him over Lizzie’s objections?

Thinking that crisis had passed, Emma stayed at Maplecroft for another two years. Then Lizzie rehired Tetrault. This must have infuriated Emma. Meanwhile, Lizzie had met Nance O’Neil in 1904, and thus began the scandalous association with the theatrical crowd.

The San Francisco Call, June 6, 1905: SISTERS ESTRANGED OVER NANCE O'NEILL-Her Entertainment Causes Quarrel Between Lizzie and Emma Borden.
"FALL RIVER, Mass., June 6.— The separation of Lizzie and Emma Borden of this city has aroused no little attention in this community, owing to the notoriety attained by the sisters thirteen years ago, when Lizzie A. Borden was acquitted after a long and sensational trial for the murder of her father and mother. It was impossible to get a statement from Lizzie Borden regarding the quarrel with her sister, but the trouble originated from some disagreement during the winter after Lizzie Borden had given a dinner and entertainment at the Borden home to Nance O'Neill and her company. Lizzie Borden is an intimate friend of Miss O'Neill, whose friendship she is said to have formed last summer at a summer resort near Boston.
On the night of the entertainment for Miss O'Neill the company was playing at the Academy of music in this city and at the close of the performance Miss Borden's carriage was waiting at the stage door and Miss O'Neill was taken to the Borden home, where the entire company later gathered. Later in the season Miss O'Neill and her company came here again and Miss Borden again entertained the actress at her home, this time alone and quietly, as Miss O'Neill was ill at the time from overwork. Emma Borden had several times reproved her sister for her frivolity.
It is reported that Miss Lizzie Borden is to write a play for Miss O'Neill, but Miss Borden declines to either affirm or deny the rumor".

If the following article is to be believed, Lizzie’s account of the estrangement was completely contrary to what was being reported:

The Evening Herald, June 7, 1905
"A Friend of Miss Lizzie A. Borden Explains Why Sister Left Home. Blames Fall River Woman. .... A communication has been received at the Herald office from a friend of Miss Lizzie A. Borden In which the writer asks that fairness be shown to her in the matter of the reported separation between and her sister Emma. , , The writer stated that a Fall River woman and not Miss Nance O’Neil, Is the sole cause of the trouble between the sisters. According to this version, this woman had been getting money from Miss Lizzie for some time. Miss Emma objected to this woman's Intimacy with her sister on the ground that their friendship would bring trouble on Miss Lizzie. That Miss Lizzie appreciated the advice of her sister was manifested at once, this writer states, because she ceased to permit the 'Fall River woman to call on her, and has had nothing to do with her for nearly four months. These two sentences In the letter are Interesting; “But the evil had been sown and no one Is to blame, but____who makes a fool of all her friends. This came straight from Miss Lizzie and I pass it on to you for the sake of fairness.” It Is said that Miss Borden merely suggested some line on which a strong play could be written for Miss O'Neil and does not seriously consider writing a play for her."

Who is the unnamed person “who makes a fool of all her friends?” Quite a head scratcher!

Based on everything I’ve read, it’s plausible that Emma was becoming too controlling for Lizzie’s taste. It was like living with Andrew all over again. Emma may have reminded her sister that Andrew would hardly have approved of Lizzie’s lavish spending and lifestyle. Lizzie wanted to live her own life in her own way and was tired of Emma’s constant judgment. I imagine numerous arguments between the two and many years of long simmering resentments probably came to the surface.

I think Emma was trying to salvage what was left of Lizzie’s reputation, as well as her own. And by May of 1905, Emma finally heeded the late Rev. Buck’s advice and left Maplecroft for good.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

This was not just a matter of moving out of Maplecroft.

To the best of our knowledge, these two sisters, who had lived together their entire lives and were the only remaining nuclear family either had, chose to cease having any interaction or relationship for the duration of their lives. At the ages of ~55 and ~45.

To me that speaks of betrayal or a irreconcilable embarrassment.

We believe that Rev. Buck suggested that Emma remove herself from the lifestyle that was taking place at Maplecroft. However, this was a couple years before Nance O'Neil came along or Emma actually moving out. Besides hanging out with the Buck sisters, I don't recall much (if any) documentation of religious zealotry or even a strong religious bent on the part of Emma. So its pretty hard to swallow the idea that Emma ceased forever her relationship with Lizzie simply because she was partying or sleeping with men. Move out and pretend its not happening.

I think it was Emma who severed the relationship. Emma owned 50% of the French St. house. If Lizzie told her to leave....well, she couldn't. Emma might leave if Lizzie made it too uncomfortable for her, but what would be Lizzie's reason for that? Emma was a bore? Again, if that was the case, move into separate residences....but would you really sever the sisterhood?

I think it was either based on some newly awoken emotion on Andrew's death (on Emma's part) or Lizzie's relationship w/ Nance (theory presumes intimacy), which in that era was likely less 'forgivable' than sleeping with men or partying. Perhaps that created the 'irreconcilable embarrassment'. Several of the sisters long time friends remained friends w/ Emma, but it seems did not remain close to Lizzie. What stigma in 1905 might cause this type of chasm in all these long term relationships? At this point, we only have conjecture, but there are a few clues and indicators.
CagneyBT

Post by CagneyBT »

If Lizzie was having an affair or romance with a man of her own social status, it’s likely Emma wouldn’t have blinked an eye.

If Lizzie was having an affair with Joseph Tetrault... a servant...well, that’s another story altogether. That would have been scandalous, and according to the contemporary news articles, the gossip was flying.

Lesbianism wasn’t as shocking in Lizzie’s day as you may think. Many female-female relationships were attributed to “Boston Marriages,” a concept that was more acceptable to the Victorian mindset than male homosexuality (for which Oscar Wilde was imprisoned in 1895).
https://www.messynessychic.com/2021/12/ ... ntury-ago/

Personally, I don’t believe that Lizzie and Nance were lovers. Some writers believe it was a “girl crush” on Lizzie’s part. I believe it was a short-lived friendship based on common interests. Both women were famous (or infamous, in Lizzie’s case). Both were animal lovers. Nance also had an unhappy childhood due to a controlling father. Each considered Charles Dickens her favorite author. Both obviously loved theater and the arts.

Lizzie apparently spent lavishly on her parties for Nance and her theater company. She also loaned Nance considerable sums of money. Emma probably chaffed at Lizzie’s generosity and may have felt that her sister was being taken advantage of by Nance.

Nance filed for bankruptcy in 1906 and ended up selling her estate in Tygnsborough. It’s not known if Nance ever repaid Lizzie or even if their relationship survived after 1906. This is a wonderful article about Nance in The Hatchet that alludes to her time with Lizzie: http://lizzieandrewborden.com/HatchetOn ... oneil.html

In another Hatchet article, “The Divine Spark of Nance O’Neil,” Nance was asked about Lizzie at a dinner party in the 1950’s. Her response was rather cavalier:

“I won’t say I was nervous being in a house with Lizzie Borden. After all, there were a lot of us together. You can be sure we looked out for each other and made a point never to be alone with her. And to notice how sharp her dinner knife was. But there was one thing I do remember as striking me. She would often make me repeat for her at teatime Medea’s famous speech.

Often the night of thunder I have a message from the gods on high.
They ask me why I have not slept. Why in the morning I will touch no food.
Then I’d tell them of my sleepless night and why I did not sleep.
Because, I tell them, this house smells of blood.”

Nance’s answer doesn’t shed any romantic light on Lizzie, but the quote from Medea is quite enlightening...and chilling.

And what about Emma’s sexuality? In her will, she left this bequest: “I give and bequeath to my friend, Josephine Ridlon, of Somerset, Massachusetts, the sum of Two Thousand Dollars ($2,000) and all of my wearing apparel.” Josephine was obviously a dear friend of Emma’s. They were traveling companions. The Fall River Daily Evening News of June 17, 1911 reported that they were in Nova Scotia together.

Josephine was unmarried, by the way, like most of Emma and Lizzie’s friends. Can we make the same assumption about Emma that’s been made about Lizzie? And if that was the case, why would Emma be shocked by Lizzie’s relationship with Nance?

One more Hatchet article on the subject of Lizzie’s love life: https://lizzieandrewborden.com/HatchetO ... -life.html

I respect your opinion on this topic, Camgarsky. But we have to agree to disagree on this one. I stand by my last post as to the reasons for the sisters’ estrangement.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Cagney I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything with any of my posts.....I've learned my lesson on that front. Just posting my opinion mostly because typing it actually helps me bring my thoughts together.
CagneyBT

Post by CagneyBT »

Hi Camgarsky!

I didn't think you were trying to convince me. As I stated, I respect your opinion and thoroughly enjoy sharing our insights with each other.😊

There are so many unknowns. There are lots of little puzzles within the bigger puzzle of the Borden case. The cause for Lizzie and Emma’s estrangement is one of many.

Like you, I was just sharing my own personal thoughts. I reasoned out my opinion based on research and came to a conclusion, that’s all. Others may come to a different conclusion. Who’s to say who’s right and who’s wrong? I love reading others’opinions. Some I agree with, some I don’t. Nobody has to agree with mine, either. As I’ve said before, “It’s all good.” 😁