The Avon Club

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

CagneyBT

The Avon Club

Post by CagneyBT »

I came across this intriguing news item that I’d never seen before. The author is reminiscing about a Fall River literary/theater club devoted to William Shakespeare called The Avon Club:

The Fall River Daily Evening News, April 22, 1916: We once had in Fall River a Shakespeare club of redoubtable pretensions. It was called the Avon club, and it flourished in the very late '80's and ' early '90's Its promoter, manager, and, yes, the printer of its literature, was a young man who later forsook the Thespian calling for that of law, still later became a pursuivant of the warlike god, in '98 and has since divided his time rather equally between law and the health of the community, one R. P. Borden, not unknown of his fellow-citizens. The full membership of the Avon club was: R. P. Borden, William B. Hawes, Charles L Holmes, Edward B Jennings, Edward Shove, L. Elmer Wood, Miss Lizzie Borden, Miss Lizzie Brayton, Miss Jennie Flint, Miss Jessie Flint, Miss Jessie Gage, and Miss Annie Jennings. These names are taken from the cast sheet without change.

I have before me the casts of two performances: "Othello" given on Saturday evening Nov 16 1889 and "Hamlet" without date. It was the ambitious aim of the club at its inception, so a member tells me, to stage these plays elaborately. But to quote the patron of the club "if to do were as easy to know what to do — " well they would have staged them. Finally, however, it came to a point where the plays were carefully studied and rehearsed and then read (from Rolfe's edition) on the given date. That the manager had his troubles even then may be guessed" from the somewhat stern quality of the following: "Manager's Notice:" "Members are reminded — That the hour of meeting Is 7:30 p m. That a full attendance at all readings is very important. That absence without sufficient notice doubles the manager's work. That such a notice is, with rare exceptions, practiceable. That such a notice will at all times be considered a SPECIAL COURTESY. That careful preparation for every reading is a duty of every member of the club. And that neglect of this duty in a single instance will mar the beauty of a reading"

The manager was possessor of a printing press upon which, after he had formulated the rules and assigned the parts, he set and printed both, not without typographical tastes and skill, and then presumably got the literature around to the players. It must have been an arduous position and surely was one demanding an abundant versatility. Indeed, when one finds that Manager Borden played the Ghost in "Hamlet," he finds an interestingly strict comparison to the versatility of the Great Shakespeare himself, the author-manager-actor, who, history tells us, played the part of Hamlet's departed father. In this very way, Mr. Jennings was Hamlet on that occasion, and Miss Jennings, Ophelia. While in "Othello," William B. Hawes played the character part opposite Miss Gage as Desdemona (who filled in also as the First Senator), while Charles Holmes was Iago. At one and another time, the entire membership must have fulfilled the Shakespearean dictum that all of us play many parts in our day; there was the day, for instance, when Mr. Hawes was Marcellus, Guildenstern, Fortubras, 2d Clown, Sailor, Messenger, and Servant. That was a busy day for one of the prominent members of the Avon Club.

R.P. Borden, the founder of the Avon Club, was Richard P. Borden, son of Richard Baxter Borden and Ellen Plummer. His grandparents were Col. Richard Borden and Abby W. Durfee. He entered Harvard Law School in 1889 and was a temporary assistant to Andrew J. Jennings in 1890 (FRDEN, Oct. 2 1890). He was admitted to the bar in 1891.(FRDEN, May 6, 1891). Richard was also reported as a spectator at the opening of Lizzie’s preliminary trial on Aug. 25, 1892 (FREN, Aug.25, 1892).

The Lizzie Borden named in the article could be Lizzie A. Borden. However, it could also be Elizabeth M. Borden, sister of Richard, who was born in 1869 and died in Jan. 1908. Richard’s sister is referred to as “Lizzie” in the 1880 census.

I think the evidence is stronger that it’s Lizzie A. Borden.

As you can see, a few familiar names associated with Lizzie A. Borden stand out: Charles L. Holmes was the son of Charles J. & Mary Remington and brother to Anna C. and Mary L., friends and later defenders of Lizzie. Lizzie Brayton was a member of the 1890 European tour party; Edward Shove was the brother of Ellen Shove, who was also one of Lizzie’s European tour members.

Here’s another bit of evidence for the “Lizzie Borden” in the article as being our Lizzie A. Borden.

[b]Fall River Daily Evening News 01 Feb 1890: The Avon Club meets with Miss Grace Mix at 12 Underwood street this evening. "Henry the Eighth" is the play to be read.[/b]

Along with Carrie L. Borden, Grace Mix served with Lizzie on the Fruit & Flower Mission executive committee of the Central Congregational Church (FRDEN, Oct. 7, 1887). (Note: Grace Mix was the daughter of the pastor of the Central Congregational Church, Eldridge Mix, who resigned in May 1890).

I don’t own a copy of Parallel Lives, so I don’t know if the Avon Club was referenced there in relation to Lizzie. If the “Lizzie Borden” mentioned in this article is indeed Lizzie A. Borden, it gives an interesting picture of one of Lizzie’s social activities, outside of her church work, in the years preceding the murders.
camgarsky4

Re: The Avon Club

Post by camgarsky4 »

Cagney -- why do you put more weight on the indirect clues that its 'our Lizzie' vs. the direct connection that it's Richard's sister, Elizabeth?
CagneyBT

Post by CagneyBT »

That's a valid question, Camagarsky. :smile:

Both Lizzie and Elizabeth M. Borden (Richard’s sister) traveled in the same social circles. Elizabeth M. is also mentioned in news items with other names mentioned in the article (i.e. Jessie Gage, Lizzie Brayton, the Holmes). It appeared to be a very tightly knit group.

According to her obituary, Elizabeth M. had been in poor health since the age of 14. She was a member of the Central Congregational Church, treasurer of the Union and Emergency Hospital and was lauded for her charity work.

Of course, we know more about Lizzie A. than Elizabeth M., especially Lizzie’s fondness for the theater and Shakespeare. That was a factor for me in weighing the evidence, as well as the association with Grace Mix on the Fruit & Flower Mission committee. But both Lizzies were members of the same church and surely crossed paths during the same period and with the same circle of acquaintances.

That being said, I may have indeed jumped the gun in weighing the evidence.

While it can’t be totally discounted, after reassessing, it’s more likely that Elizabeth M. is the Lizzie Borden alluded to in the article.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

It is still very interesting info....I hope you keep sharing these fun little finds.....
CagneyBT

Post by CagneyBT »

As long as people are interested, I'm happy to share whatever I find :smile: