Alfred Johnson

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

CagneyBT

Alfred Johnson

Post by CagneyBT »

Alfred C. Johnson managed the Borden “Lower” farm near Gardner’s Neck in Swansea (Frank Eddy managed the “Upper” farm on Warren Road, near Luther’s Four Corners). In some accounts, Johnson is referred to as “the Swede.” Aside from working on the Borden farm, he also worked as a general handyman at Second St. and sometimes stayed there overnight. It was written that he trusted Andrew Borden explicitly, to the extent that he left his bank book at the house for safekeeping. Bridget testified that she was aware of Johnson occasionally performing chores on the property but knew him only as “Alfred.” (“I don’t know his last name. I never asked him.”) He & Frank Eddy were briefly considered suspects but were cleared of any doubt, including by Lizzie herself.

Based on his testimony as recorded in the Witness Statements, Alfred was the apparent “hatchet man” (forgive the pun): :grin:

“Have worked for Mr. Borden nine years. Have done his work at the house, cutting wood and cleaning up the yard, when not busy at the farm. Think the two last times I cut wood was early in the Spring, and again just before planting. Mr. Borden had two axes, a single hatchet, and a shop or bench hatchet. The bench hatchet has never been used much since it was sharpened. I ground it over here to the farm in the early Spring. The hatchet and axes were always kept in one place, in a box in the wood room at the left of the furnace. Never found them in any other place, and always put them back after using them, as Mr. Borden was particular about having one place for all tools. When I have been working at Mr. Borden’s, I have stayed there".

I've read elsewhere that after the trial, Alfred was hired by Lizzie and Emma as a “man of all work” at Maplecroft. The term "all work” may have included that of “coachman,” according to listings in the city directories:

Alfred Johnson, coachman, 1894, 7 French St.
Alfred Johnson, coachman, 1895, 7 French St.
Alfred C. Johnson, coachman, 1896, 306 French St.
Alfred C. Johnson, coachman, 1898, 306 French St.
Alfred C. Johnson, coachman, 1899, 306 French St.

Alfred was clearly very loyal to Lizzie, and vice-versa. Does anyone know what happened to Alfred Johnson?
camgarsky4

Re: Alfred Johnson

Post by camgarsky4 »

Frankly, if you or KGDevil can't track down Alfred's full life...not sure who can!! :grin:

Lizzie did appear to retain strong loyalty from much of her hired staff. Is that a derivative of good treatment, better pay, good hires, or a combo of all?
CagneyBT

Post by CagneyBT »

"Frankly, if you or KGDevil can't track down Alfred's full life...not sure who can!! :grin:"

I appreciate the kind comment, Camgarsky :smile:

I think it was definitely a combination of those factors that inspired loyalty between Lizzie and her servants. But according to this news item, loyalty may have finally reached a breaking point in regards to Alfred:

Fall River Daily Evening News 04 Apr 1899
: Alfred Johnson, who was employed on the farm of the late Andrew J. Borden for some ten years and who has been employed as coachman and gardener by the Misses Emma L. and Lizzie A. Borden since Mr. Borden's demise, severed his connection with the family on Saturday.

The wording is odd. "Severed his connection," rather than, say, "left their employ," implies that Alfred leaving Maplecroft was the result of some serious circumstance. It also suggests that it was Alfred's decision to leave, rather than a dismissal by the sisters.

Perhaps I'm just reading too much into this, but I wonder what the heck happened?
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

The word 'severed' is interesting and the fact that someone took the time to submit this information to the newspaper is interesting. Can't imagine Lizzie or Emma would have any reason to publish this info and they were very private folks.

I think that pretty much leaves Alfred or someone close to him. If he left amicably, can't imagine why he would bother sending a note to the paper.

If angry, I can see him (or the someone close) airing out the dirty laundry....albeit it somewhat subtly. Severed does usually equate to firm action.

Remind me when our friend Tetrault showed up as their coachman?
CagneyBT

Post by CagneyBT »

Tetrault first appears at 306 French in the 1901 directory (which can also apply to 1900). Looks like Tetrault was Alfred's replacement.

What struck me about that notice was the harshness of it. It sure didn't sound amicable to me.

Lizzie had a domestic working for her in 1898/1899 named Ida Carlson. Ida married Bennett Soderman in Fall River on Sept. 23, 1899. According to the marriage certificate, she was 24, a domestic, residence: 306 French St. Her parents were Carl A. Carlson and Anna L. Johnson. I wonder if Ida was somehow related to Alfred. I don't know if this is even relevant to Alfred's leaving...just wanted to share that tidbit.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

I actually think this is an interesting little find you've cobbled together.

Alfred Johnson, long time, good employee for the family leaves their employment and there is an indicator that it might not have been amicably. Joseph Tetrault, a barber by professional, appears to replace him as the driver. Isn't hard to speculate on what might have lead to this series of events.

Here is what we 'know':
Alfred Johnson was employed by Borden family for around 10 years. In 1899 he was the coachman/driver for the Borden sisters.
The newspapers notes that Alfred has severed his employment with the family. (term severed might be key)
Joseph Tetrault becomes the family coachman/driver in 1900, apparently backfilling Alfred.
Tetrault rumors flew and Emma did not care for him.

Pure speculation, based on playing out these tidbits, but perhaps Alfred was asked by Lizzie/Emma to do something more labor-intensive and 'important' since they wanted to hire this barber to take his role as family driver. Alfred suspects the motive by be emotion based (by Lizzie ?) and is angry to be slighted after all the years and loyalty.

And then the Tetrault era as driver commences.

If this has any bit of correctness, then it would be a kink in Lizzie's rep for being extremely kind and benevolent to her servants. Perhaps she was kind to them, but only when it suited her purposes.
CagneyBT

Post by CagneyBT »

Lizzie wanted to demote Alfred back to handyman so he could be replaced by the handsome and younger Joseph Tetrault? I imagine that loyal Alfred would have been insulted enough to “sever his connection” with the Bordens.

Studying this ship’s manifest, the Alfred situation gets even more mysterious:

Name: Alfred C Johnson
Ethnicity/ Nationality:Swedish
Birth Date:abt 1850
Departure Port: Liverpool, England
Arrival Date: 13 Sep 1899
Arrival Port:New York, New York, USA
Ship Name: Oceanic

According to the ship’s record, this Alfred was single; a laborer; # of years in U.S: 27; last place of residence: Stockholm; destination: Fall River; in possession of $2,000.

There’s no way to prove that this is the same Alfred. But $2,000 in 1899 is worth approximately $71,000 in today’s currency.

Lots of food for thought here.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

How possible to find the voyage when this gent went from the U.S. to Liverpool, England (or wherever)? That timing might put a little spicey seasoning on this 'lots of food'..... :grin:
CagneyBT

Post by CagneyBT »

I was unable to locate any relevant information about Alfred Johnson after 1899. The only one listed as living in Fall River was a lineman for the telephone company. There was a reference to a man by that name acting as a pallbearer in 1912; one of the other pallbearers was the brother of Marie Lihme, who worked as a domestic for Lizzie in 1909.

I’m pretty certain that the Alfred C. Johnson listed on the Sept. 13, 1899 manifest is Lizzie’s servant. As noted in the earlier post, Lizzie's personal maid, Ida Carlson, was married on Sept. 23, 1899. One source alleges that the ceremony was held at Maplecroft. (Lizzie was very fond of Ida and presented her with a framed photo of Lizzie’s cat, Blackie. The photo is dated 1899, and it’s the only known photo of Maplecroft’s interior taken during Lizzie’s lifetime. Lizzie even remembered Ida’s daughter, Alice, in her will).

Alfred and Ida were both employed by Lizzie between 1898-1899. They may even have been related. Given the timeline between Alfred’s arrival and Ida’s wedding, it’s a plausible reason for Alfred’s return after a sojourn to his native Sweden.

Alfred was obviously devoted to the Borden family and Lizzie to him, considering she kept him in her employ for years after the murders. According to his witness statement, he was hired by Andrew in 1883. The ship manifest of 1899 states that he had lived for 27 years in the U.S., placing his initial arrival as 1872. In the 1874 directory, there’s an Alfred Johnson listed as a laborer, “boards Ferry, cor. N. Main.”

What’s puzzling is that Alfred was apparently the #1 suspect almost immediately after the murders. John Cunningham, the newsdealer who notified the police at 11:10 a.m. about the crime, testified at the preliminary that a boy named Pierce alluded to a rumor that one of Andrew’s farm hands had committed the deed.

Fall River Globe:" Suspicion was directed early toward a Swede employee of Mr, Borden who worked on his farm at South Swansea. It was said that he came here to get some wages that were due him, but Mr. Borden said he had no money handy but would pay him when he returned from the bank. Mr. Borden went to the First National Bank this morning and returned shortly after 10 o'clock. Whether or not the Swede called again cannot be told at this writing".

Fall River Globe, 12 Aug 1892: "The cry went out from some source or other that a Swedish farm hand dubbed "the Portuguese" had done the deed. This was the first clue, and it started half a dozen policemen and the city marshal over the river to the Borden farm. The hunt ended the some afternoon and the clue was promptly exploded, for the farm hands were all in their accustomed places and it was impossible to connect any of them with this crime".

05 Aug 1892, "It was supposed that the cause of the trouble (sickness) was in the milk, and it is now thought that attempts at poisoning had been made. Dr. Dolan, medical examiner, has taken a portion of the milk delivered this morning to have it analyzed. The milk is furnished the family from the deceased’s own farm in Swansea, where he has two men employed. They are Frank Eddy and Alfred Johnson, the latter in charge—a Swede, and a servant and employee of long standing and unquestioned trust in the family. Suspicion was directed against Johnson at once, as a story became current that Mr. Borden had had an altercation with one of his tenants. Officers immediately went out on this trail and exploded the basis for suspicion, for Johnson was found to have been on his farm all the morning".

Boston Evening Transcript, 05 Aug 1892 "Other Suspects. The story that a Swede who works under James (sic) Eddy, who runs the Borden farm and comes to this city with milk, was in the house just before the murder; that he and Mr. Borden had had high words over some wages. Mr. Borden is alleged to have owed him, is proved a canard by Chief-of-Police Hilliard, who went to Swansea and found that the Swede had not been away from the farm during the day".

The source of the rumor may have been Bridget. According to Porter:

"Thorough investigation of theories advanced upon the strength of Bridget Sullivan's statement that the crime was committed by the Portuguese employed upon the farm of Andrew Borden in Somerset (sic), resulted in placing them with the other numerous opinions and possibilities which have been exploded by the authorities".

The Sun, New York, Aug. 5,1892: "The remark of the servant girl, “It must have been the Portuguese,” gave rise to a story that Marshall Hilliard says he has proved to be an idle tale, which was that a Portuguese, who had been at work on Mr. Borden’s farm in Swansea across the river, had been discharged and had come back to the house demanding his pay and murdered Mr. and Mrs. Borden.
Mr. Hilliard said that there was not any Portuguese that could be found who worked for Mr. Borden or who had recently been discharged.
Some of the neighbors saw a man whom they took for a Portuguese walking up and down in front of Mr. Borden’s house, but the man they describe as a Portuguese is a Swede, who has worked for years on Mr. Borden’s farm in Swansea and who was his foreman then, and highly trusted by all the family. He proved satisfactorily to the police that he was not and could not have been in Fall River and that he had not been out of his house. He had no quarrel with Mr. Borden, who thought very highly of him".

Fall River Herald, Aug. 12, 1892: "... C[harles]. S. Sawyer believes thoroughly in Lizzie’s innocence. Said he: "When I was on guard outside, on the day of the murder, Bridget told me of a Portuguese employee of Mr. Borden, and suggested that he might have committed the crime. Lizzie was completely prostrated by the shock she had received, but as soon as she heard of Bridget's story she sent Miss Russell out to me to deny the possibility of the story..."

We then have John V. Morse’s inquest testimony:

A: Mr. Borden, when I was over here sometime in July, that I speak of, wanted to know if I knew of a man he could get on his farm, to take charge of it, I told him I did not know, I would see. When I got back I wrote him I knew of a man I thought would suit him, I would send him over. He wrote back to me he had rather I would wait until I saw him. I have his letter in my pocket, if you want to see it.
Q. What was the date of that letter? You may refresh your memory. If you have no objections, I will see it.
(Witness produces the letter dated July 25, 1892.
…………………………………………………….
Q. You came partially in pursuance of that request?
A. Yes Sir.

Q. Was that about ten days before you came?
A. Yes Sir.
Q. So they were not expecting you that particular day, but were looking for you at any time?
A. Yes Sir.

During the trial proceedings, the purpose of Morse’s visit on August 3 was focused primarily on purchasing cattle; Morse’s inquest testimony about finding a new hired hand was glossed over at the preliminary and was not referred to again, probably because the prosecution didn’t think it relevant, and Alfred supposedly had a solid alibi.

In A Private Disgrace, Lincoln attributed the motive for the murders on Andrew’s supposed plan to place the Swansea farm in Abby’s name. Assuming that’s true, was Andrew considering replacing Alfred as manager of the lower farm as part of that plan? If so, why?

If Bridget was the source of the “Portuguese” rumor, why did she immediately suspect Alfred?
Why wasn’t Alfred ever called as a witness?

You can scroll down on this thread to find some interesting discussion about Alfred. https://lizzieandrewborden.com/LBForum/ ... hp?p=33933
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Cagney -- You have gotten me quite fascinated with Alfred. In your initial post (extract pasted below), you make a couple statements that is new intel for me and I'm hoping you can provide the sources.

1) How do we know that Johnson managed the Gardner Neck house/acreage?
2) What is the source for Johnson keeping his bank book at the Borden's home?

Cut and pasted from opening post.....
Alfred C. Johnson managed the Borden “Lower” farm near Gardner’s Neck in Swansea (Frank Eddy managed the “Upper” farm on Warren Road, near Luther’s Four Corners). It was written that he trusted Andrew Borden explicitly, to the extent that he left his bank book at the house for safekeeping.
CagneyBT

Post by CagneyBT »

Hi Camgarsky: :smile:

One source for who managed the lower farm near Gardner's Neck came from a blog devoted to the Borden case. Another is from page 34 of A Private Disgrace; Lincoln writes, “Andrew had driven to Swansea, where he had a farmhouse. He had ceased to use it as a summer home when war was declared in the household, and the girls began to vacation separately, but a Swede now ran the place for him, keeping poultry and raising vegetables.” And on page 38, she writes, “Andrew was fond of the Swansea place and did not want to sell it off. However, it did not pay for itself, the Swede’s wages were an item, and for five years (since the start of the cold war, that is, when the girls stopped vacationing with the family), it had only been used for very short stays.”

Lincoln certainly has her critics, but I couldn’t locate any other definitive answer as to who managed the Gardner’s Neck farm. All indications suggest it was Alfred. I hope someone with more knowledge can verify it.

The information about the bank book came from an article published in The Lizzie Borden Sourcebook, pg. 2: “The man who had charge of her father’s farm was held in the highest respect by Mr. Borden. His name was Alfred Johnson, and he trusted his employer so much that he left his bank book at Mr. Borden’s house for safe keeping. The young lady had not the slightest suspicion of his being connected to the crime.”

Charles Sawyer’s inquest testimony: “While I was there the story was going around with regard to a Portuguese or some foreigner that was working on the farm. Miss Alice Russell came to me and said that Miss Lizzie Borden was very anxious that that story should be suppressed, because she said he was a very nice man and a very old and tired (sic) servant in the family, and she was deeply concerned about it. Miss Russell made this talk with me. Lizzie did not say anything about it.”

If Alfred was born around 1850, give or take five years, he’d only be in his early-mid 40’s. Lizzie may have been referring to Alfred’s length of employment, not his actual age. (approx.10 years).

A couple of interesting news items pertaining to the farm:

Feb. 2, 1884, The Fall River Daily Evening News: "Mr. Andrew J. Borden has broken ground for a house which he intends to build for the use of his principal farmer. It will be situated on the east side of the Gardner’s Neck road just south of the railroad station. It will be a story and a half cottage house, 22x30 feet, with an ell 15x13. Mr. Fred Boyce of South Somerset will do the wood work". Was the house being built for Alfred?

March 27, 1884, The Fall RIver Daily Evening News: "Mr. Andrew J. Borden of this city has just finished the cellar for a new cottage farm house which he will build upon his farm just south of Swansea Station on Gardner’s Neck."

A blurb about the farmhouse in question: https://buildingsofnewengland.com/2020/ ... ouse-1795/
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Thanks! Just read the Sourcebook article.....goodly amount of background info, albeit published either the 4th or 5th when facts about the case were a bit skittish. It is frustrating that the Sourcebook doesn't provide dates for most of the articles. Thank goodness for Newspapers.com if you want to make sure you have a date correct.

I am one of the people that pretty much ignores Lincoln's book. She included so many falsehood and fabrications, that I decided early on to completely ignore the book and its contents.

For some reason, in my minds eye, the south farm was less a working farm and more a vacation home. That could be completely wrong. I'll spend some time reading up on the Swansea properties.