Andrew and Horses

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

CagneyBT

Andrew and Horses

Post by CagneyBT »

Fall River Daily Herald, May 29, 1877: Andrew J. Borden, of the firm of Borden, Almy & co., was driving a horse and wagon through Cottage street, the horse became frightened at a number of persons who were standing around another horse, started on a run, turned into Second street very short, smashing one of the wheels and throwing Mr. Borden to the ground. He was dragged a short distance, but clung to the reins and tried hard to stop the horse. Fear of being dashed against a fence caused him to let go, and the horse made quick time to Mr. Borden’s residence, Second street. We are glad to state that Mr. Borden escaped with only a few bruises.

The next item certainly sounds like our Andrew:

Aug. 2, 1888, Fall River Daily Evening News:" For Sale: The SORREL MARE which I have driven for the past seven years. She has a disagreeable ugly disposition, and I would recommend her only to those used to horses. Any such would delight to drive her and can get a good tough animal cheap. My sole reason for selling Is lack of use. Andrew Borden.
camgarsky4

Re: Andrew and Horses

Post by camgarsky4 »

Cagney - grabbing onto your "Horses" theme in the subject line.....per the Boston Globe August 9th, 1892, two Idaho farmers (also horse traders) were interviewed for their possible involvement in the crime. J.W. Cooper and John Lincoln.

Newspapers.com is my only research tool and they have basically zero Idaho papers in their archives. Using your fantastic research skills, you might find something interesting on these gents. Back in Idaho, did they have any kind of reputation or history that might have indicated they were on the violent side?

The same article is also a very informative read regarding John Morse. Farmer Davis talks in great depth about John and everything he says matches up with other information. I'll post this same message on the "John Morse" thread. I would paste the article, but after 2+ years on this forum, still haven't figured out how. :sad:
CagneyBT

Post by CagneyBT »

I couldn't locate anything in Idaho papers about Cooper & Lincoln. I did find this about Cooper from the Evening Standard, New Bedford, Monday, Aug. 8, 1892:

The Mysterious Stranger-Cooper, the Idaho Horse Dealer, the Man Who Was Suspected- It now appears that the horse trader who was shadowed by the police on suspicion of being connected with the Borden tragedy is no less a person than J.W. Cooper, who is a farmer from Idaho. As stated elsewhere, the police have abandoned work in that direction, and well they might, for it has since been learned that Mr. Cooper, who it was claimed was in Fall River on Monday, Aug. 1st, was in this city selling horses by auction in a lot at the corner of Chepachol lane and Kempton street. The police of Fall River also had him in that city last Thursday, when as a matter of fact he was in Westport all day at the house of Deputy Sheriff Kirby. Yesterday Mr. Cooper went to Fall River with the balance of the horses unsold. Those who have become acquainted with the gentleman since his arrival East speak of him as a straightforward Idaho farmer.

I also found the ad for the horse auction referred to in the above news item:
The Evening Standard, July 30, 1892: 40 Hambletonian Horses To Be Sold At Public Auction, At The Head of Court St., New Bedford, Mass, Monday, Aug. 1st, 1892 at 10:00 o’clock...They were bred in Idaho by J.W. Cooper, who can be seen at the sale.

I couldn't locate anything specific about John Lincoln, but the Globe article, published in the John Morse thread, reported that both men were at Sheriff Kirby's home in Westport the day of the murders, providing them with solid alibis.
CagneyBT

Post by CagneyBT »

Quick correction to my last post: the Globe article only mentioned that Lincoln & Cooper had been cleared of suspicion by Kirby, not that both men were at Kirby's home.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

How do you get access to the New Bedford archives? Is it a service like newspapers.com?
LizzieB_board_game

Post by LizzieB_board_game »

How interesting. Is that why they only used the barn for the storage? Or was there a carriage in the barn?
"Lizzie Borden's Ghost- The Board Game"
Learn more www.LizzieBordensGhost.com