Bowenville or Fall River Station??

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

camgarsky4

Bowenville or Fall River Station??

Post by camgarsky4 »

MB or other Fall River historians.....the Bowenville railroad station is mentioned several times in the police reports, Jennings Journal, newspapers, etc. Based on the info below I got from Wikipedia, The Bowenville station was built in 1870, with a new station (named The Fall River Station) built near the existing Bowenville Station. If the new station was built in 1892 (per article below), was the station mentioned in August, '92 actually the Fall River station and not the older Bowenville Station? Or maybe the Fall River station didn't "open" until late 1892 and the Bowenville station was in its final uses at the time of the murder. I'm trying to locate a photo of the station referenced in the Borden papers, whether that is the Bowenville or Fall River station. Does anyone know which station was in use August, '92? Bowenville or Fall River? Thanks.

Source: Wikipedia - Fall River Station
Bowenville station opened in the north part of Fall River around 1870. The railroad changed names again to become the Old Colony Railroad in 1872. The Old Colony constructed a station building at Bowenville, located on the east side of the tracks between Turner Street and Old Colony Street, in 1874. An extension of the Providence, Warren and Bristol Railroad opened over the new Slade's Ferry Bridge on December 5, 1875, connecting to the Fall River mainline north of Bowenville.

A new station designed by Bradford Gilbert opened in 1892 between Lincoln Avenue and Pearce Street, just north of the existing Bowenville station. Named Fall River, it became the main station for the city.
mbhenty

Re: Bowenville or Fall River Station??

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:
Yes:

The train station you speak of, the Bowenville Station, was the older building which was less than 200 feet away from the new train station. They were very close to each other.

The old station was referred to as the Bowenville Station. The new train station was renamed, the Fall River Train Depot. And it was probably open in 1893 when it changed hands and was sold to the New York, New Haven Company.

Although the new station was built in 1892 it was sometime in 1893 that it got off the ground.

And if reference is made to Bowenville, it is most likely to be the older building which officially carried that name.

So it is safe to say that the Bowenville Station is the old building.

Below is an 1877 map of the Bowen Station. You can see where it says "RR.Station just off center. (Click to make big) The new station was built just the other side of Old Colony Ave, but closer to Pearce Street. Today there's a street between Pearce and Old Colony, called Baylies Street.

I'll try and find you more on it. Later. Right now I'm going sailing. Cheerio!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Thanks and happy sailing!

If you can find a photo of Bowenville Station that would be icing on top!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

I don't believe any photos of the old Bowenville train station exists. I have never seen one. It is doubtful, unless the Historical Society has something stored away in their archives. I doubt it, although.

Here is some information I have uncovered. It may add to your study.

https://www.wickedlocal.com/sthttps://w ... 234323007/

Now, unrelated to Bowenville Station, here is the some information on the Old Colony RR Station at the foot of Ferry. The second and third photo is the station that Borden or his family would have used if they needed to take the train. It was 4 or 5 blocks from the Ferry Street Homestead and 9 plus blocks from the Second Street Home. The railroad station on North Main Street, Bowenville, was over a mile away to the north.

The last photo is a map showing the train station at the foot of Ferry Street. The second photo is a photo of the same station.
In the third Photo you can see a portion of the building way off to the left and off the photo. In the middle of the picture is Colombia street which runs between Broadway and South Main.

Listed first, before the photos, is the list of railroad stations in Fall River in 1892 from the city directory.

And the first photo, right under the list of railroad stations, is the apartment building that sits on the site of the old Bowenville Train Station today.

Cool, heh?

:study:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Very cool and thank you!

Interesting that the Bowenville Station isn't listed in the 1892 city directory and no photographs even though it was in use until 1892. I've googled for imagines and, as you note, nothing.

I imagine Old Colony station is where Emma and Lizzie departed for New Bedford/Fairhaven and John Morse arrived mid-day August 3rd. Having a good image of some of these locations makes the related events so much easier to recreate in the mind.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes:

What you see in the listing in the directory above are the train stations in Fall River. There are four of them. Notice that in the North Main station it says O.C.R.R. Or Old Colony Rail Road.

It is listed the same in the 1893 directory. Keeping in mind that the 93 directory reflects facts from 1892. Not 93. Results for 1893 will show up in the 1894 directory. I'm sure you know that.

Below is the 1895 directory. by then the name has changed. The notation is N.Y.N.H.&H. R.R. This stands for the New York, New Haven and Hartford Rail Road. They are the ones that occupied the NEW Bowenville Station.

Also, they added another station in the Flint or east end of the city about four of blocks away from the Weybosset Street.
CagneyBT

Post by CagneyBT »

I found this old photograph of what was identified as the Fall River/Bowenville Train Station from a Facebook page devoted to vintage Fall River images:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 2266241766
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, it may be described as the Bowenville Station but it is the new station and not the old building. And still in Bowenville, which was a designation attributed to a section or neighborhood in the city, like The Flint, Maplewood, or Steepbrook. Of course later on The Highlands.

Bird's eye view maps, as in the image below, were remarkably accurate. Right down to the shape and number of windows, doors, chimneys, etc. At one time my believe was that they must have taken a photo from a hot air balloon to gather visual information. Not the case. What they did was send out surveyors and artists who drew each building, drawing thousands upon thousands of structures. What a feat. And how interesting.

I have an original 1877 Bird's eye view map of Fall River on my wall. No, I do not live there, nor do I care what happens there, but one cannot escape his past or his roots, nor should one try to. It would be a mistake not to at least walk away with the positives and retain some pride in yourself and upbringing even if you resent the place now.

That being said, I have had it up for sale a couple of times. Plenty of other Fall River reminders hang on my walls.

Below is a blurry close up of the old Bowenville Station. You can see it is a different building from the building displayed in the link posted above—including no tower, which is on the new station. And the sheltered awning structure that surrounds much of the new building.

Last edited by mbhenty on Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

And here is what stands on the very spot of the old Fall River Train Depot in Bowenville. (99 % of Fall River residents would not know where Bowenville even stood or ever heard the name)

The old Bowenville station, pre 1892 stood somewhere near that white three decker you see off the left of the plaza. (click photo :roll: to make big.)

Behind the sign is a building that once held the Mohican Cafe. Use to have one or two there on my way home from work in the early 70s.

Funny Story.

I went in one day with a buddy of mine and I saw this attractive young lady sitting at the bar. I must have been staring at her because the barmaid said something to me, can't remember what, and spilled my beer when she placed it down. She appeared out of sorts. I had no idea what was going on until my drinking friend whispered to me. "Stop looking at the blonde at the end of the bar. That's the barmaids girlfriend."

It was a tuff saloon frequented by locals. Later by a local biker gang called the Sidewinders. One had to be careful. And after 4 or 5 beers, that was very difficult.

By the way? Is this a Lizzie Forum? :roll:

camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Thanks both of you for the images.

I agree MB that the photo Cagney posted is likely the Fall River Rail Depot that was built next to the Bowenville Station. The close up of the 'birds eye' view helps quite a bit. Thanks again!