Andrew charity work?

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

mysterium

Andrew charity work?

Post by mysterium »

Does anyone know if Andrew supported or participated in any way with any charitable organizations. I haven't been able to find anything that speaks to this. Thank you!
camgarsky4

Re: Andrew charity work?

Post by camgarsky4 »

There are a few news snippets in the 1880's telling us that AJB let his north Swansea farm be used for church related clambakes. If he allowed for free, I suppose that is some degree of charitable work. That and his reference to possibly bequeathing farm land for a home for the elderly (Morse testimony) are about all I know.
mysterium

Post by mysterium »

camgarsky4 That's why I was asking. It just seemed so out of character for Andrew to entertain that thought. The way JM said it, he was thinking about giving it to the home for the elderly, if they would have it......like lessening the value of the farm. So not what a successful businessman would do. There was a discussion on the forum a way back that discussed that JM was wanting the Swansea Farm and Abby didn't want him to have it. Don't know if that is true. It just seems weird to me that of all the business men that Andrew dealt with every day, including lawyers, plus having a family lawyer, that JM is the only person he made any comments to about final wishes.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

To my knowledge, there is zero documentation or even newspaper articles suggesting that JM wanted or pursued the Swansea Farm. He certainly didn't end up with it after the Borden deaths. Any discussions on this forum or elsewhere on that topic are 100% speculating. 100% speculation = myth for me.

AJB's lawyer's would not be able to discuss anything that AJB talked to them about, so we have no idea if he talked to them about a will. Jennings said there wasn't a new will....he didn't say a will hadn't been discussed or even that a draft was being worked on. JM seemed to be the only person we are aware that Andrew felt comfortable sitting around discussing family issues. No other "close" friend surfaced.

Also, take a look at Medley's witness statement from Charles C. Cook. Sure seems like there was some smoke on the estate planning front. Of course, he denied saying any of it when he testified at the preliminary hearing.

There is a good "Hatchet" article on this subject that you might find very interesting.

Where the Bread was Buttered: Charles C. Cook’s Loyalty to Lizzie Borden
by Tina Kate Rouse
First published in June/July, 2004, Volume 1, Issue 3, The Hatchet: Journal of Lizzie Borden Studies.
mysterium

Post by mysterium »

camgarsky4 Thanks for your response, as always! The Hatchet article was very interesting. Our Charles Cook seemed to be very self-serving indeed. Even trying to bite the hand that fed him after she was dead. Didn't JVM mention in his testimony that Andrew had indicated to him that he had a will about 10 years prior to the murders? That is very different from the information that Cook gave when first interviewed. Was Cook just trying to interject himself into the spotlight of the investigation, then thought better of it because he might be asked to supply evidence of details of that day with Andrew? Like, who's will he was working on etc. His original story seemed to have detail to it, but it does strike me as odd, since Andrew was such a private person, that he would go into someone's business office and ask them what they were working on.

As far as the Swansea Farm goes, it still seems out of character for him to be "giving away" a major piece of property that had been a big part of his life. Maybe the 3 women had mentioned that they didn't want to be burdened with overseeing the farm if he wasn't around. Who knows?

Another question, how would Lizzie have been clued in that Andrew might be working on his will, if that was what was going on?
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

mysterium wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:11 pm camgarsky4 Thanks for your response, as always! The Hatchet article was very interesting. Our Charles Cook seemed to be very self-serving indeed. Even trying to bite the hand that fed him after she was dead. Didn't JVM mention in his testimony that Andrew had indicated to him that he had a will about 10 years prior to the murders? That is very different from the information that Cook gave when first interviewed. Was Cook just trying to interject himself into the spotlight of the investigation, then thought better of it because he might be asked to supply evidence of details of that day with Andrew? Like, who's will he was working on etc. His original story seemed to have detail to it, but it does strike me as odd, since Andrew was such a private person, that he would go into someone's business office and ask them what they were working on. Why would Morse and cook both make this stuff up? Are you thinking they were in cahoots?

As far as the Swansea Farm goes, it still seems out of character for him to be "giving away" a major piece of property that had been a big part of his life. Maybe the 3 women had mentioned that they didn't want to be burdened with overseeing the farm if he wasn't around. Who knows? The sisters kept the farm for years after he died. Andrew was no non-sense real estate entrepreneur, but when planning how he wanted his properties handled upon death, bequeathing property is a different mindset. Most of us want to leave a good legacy. Do you think Morse made that piece of info up? What purpose would that serve?

Another question, how would Lizzie have been clued in that Andrew might be working on his will, if that was what was going on? In-house burglary findings; eavesdropping, Morse talked again, Cook said something, AJB said something...or a dozen other means.
mysterium

Post by mysterium »

Why would Morse and cook both make this stuff up? Are you thinking they were in cahoots?

No I don't believe Morse and Cook were in cahoots, but interesting thought. All I was saying was that Morse testified that Andrew had indicated to him that he had a will about ten years prior to the murders. Cook, in his first interview said that Andrew had told him he didn't have a will. So either Andrew lied to one of the parties or one of the parties lied to authorities.

The sisters kept the farm for years after he died. Andrew was no non-sense real estate entrepreneur, but when planning how he wanted his properties handled upon death, bequeathing property is a different mindset. Most of us want to leave a good legacy. Do you think Morse made that piece of info up? What purpose would that serve?

I think what you say is true for most of us. Andrew was a man that spent his whole life making money, accumulating properties and wealth and having these things. I can find nothing that indicates he had a generous spirit outside of the family, so for him to be considering giving away a large piece of property, seemed very out of character for him. I have no idea why Morse would make that up, but I have never trusted the guy. I think he has shown a lot of reason not to trust everything he says. Maybe Andrew was coming to terms with his own mortality and was accepting that he couldn't take it with him. I don't know.