Central Congregational Church

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

MB or others -- it was reported in June '92 that Lizzie injured her arms while serving at the Central Congregational Church. Since the original building still stands in Fall River, I was curious if anyone had toured the church and if the dumb waiter still existed? As most of you know, a dumb waiter could be a piece of furniture or a service 'lift' for moving food, etc up levels of a building. The article seems to imply the 'lift' version, but would be interesting to know if such an item exists in the church.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fall River Daily Evening News - June 16, 1892
“Miss Lizzie Borden, daughter of Mr. Andrew J. Borden, met with an accident while at work in the tearoom of the Central church, Wednesday. The dumb waiter, heavily loaded with plates, came down on both of the young lady’s arms. It was feared for a few minutes that both arms were broken, but we are glad to say that Miss Borden escaped with nothing more serious than painful bruises.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Wikipedia
History:
The church was built in 1875 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.[2] It was designed by Boston architects Hartwell & Swasey, who also designed several other notable buildings in Fall River, including the Academy Building and several city fire stations. It was well known in its early days for being the home church of Lizzie Borden and her family.

In the 1990s and 2000s, the church and abbey were renovated into the International Culinary Academy, with the Abbey Grille and classrooms in the abbey and a large function hall in the main church. The Academy and restaurant closed in March 2009.

In 2019 the church became a venue for events. Weddings and other large events. It is now called The Historic Abbey at 100 Rock Street.
camgarsky4

Re: Central Congregational Church

Post by camgarsky4 »

An interesting Central Congregational date I just came upon.....

Per Rebello....
Lizzie was confirmed into the Central Congregational Church May 1, '87.
Fourth St. was deeded to Abby Borden May 2, '87.

Five months later, 12 Ferry St. was deeded to the sisters Oct 1, '87.

So it seems that Lizzie became an active adult Christian and, almost immediately, became entangled in the the unpleasant Borden family drama that ended with the infamous residual of Lizzie no longer calling Abby Borden 'mom'....now she was Mrs. Borden.

Forgiveness is considered one of the pillars of a Christian character. Whatever Abby's perceived infraction against the sisters, they certainly don't seem to have ever forgiven her. Lizzie gets often gets credit for demonstrating Christian behaviors with her community outreach. Might have been more impressive to demonstrate forgiveness in your own home and family if one truly desired to live the Christian life and way.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Can't really say if the dumbwaiter is still there or not.

I worked inside that building several times back in the late 70s and 80s when it was still a church. It ceased being a church some time around 86 or 87. The interior was pretty much together back then. I would not be surprised if the dum waiter is still there.

Before it was a culinary school-restaurant, there was another restaurant there. I had wired their phone system at the time, also.

And here's a little trivia that most have forgotten below.

:study:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ida

Post by Ida »

I have so many questions…
What is a “Congregational Church”? I realize it’s Protestant, but is it Presbyterian or Lutheran or Methodist, or something like that?
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

From Wikipedia.....
Beliefs
Congregationalism is a Protestant movement within the Calvinist tradition that occupies a theological position between Presbyterianism on one end and the Baptists and Quakers on the other. Through the years, Congregationalists have adopted various confessional statements, including the Savoy Declaration, the Cambridge Platform and the Kansas City Statement of Faith.[3]

Unlike Presbyterians, Congregationalists practice congregational polity (from which they derive their name), which holds that the members of a local church have the right to decide their church's forms of worship and confessional statements, choose their own officers and administer their own affairs without any outside interference.[4] Congregationalist polity is rooted in a foundational tenet of Congregationalism: the priesthood of believers. According to Congregationalist minister Charles Edward Jefferson, the priesthood of believers means that "Every believer is a priest and ... every seeking child of God is given directly wisdom, guidance, power."[5]

Congregationalists have two sacraments: baptism and the Lord's Supper. Unlike Baptists, Congregationalists practice infant baptism. The Lord's Supper is normally celebrated once or twice a month. Congregationalists do not use the sign of the cross or invoke the intercession of saints.[3]
Ida

Post by Ida »

Thank you - I am wonder long about that particular congregational church and how it may have been at the time of the Borden tragedy and where did Lizzie attend after she was acquitted.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Ida, I'm not sure of I have read anything that provides insight into any unique beliefs or behaviors of this specific church.

Lizzie found herself uncomfortable/displeased with the welcome (or lack thereof) at the church upon her acquittal. It is my understanding that she attended church infrequently post-acquittal for the duration of her life. Basically she was treated at the church similar to how she was treated throughout Fall River after the trial.
Ida

Post by Ida »

Thank you - I think I do understand that. She was almost certainly tainted from her time spent in jail and even though she was acquitted, it seems that having been through the ordeal made her unpleasant to be around. So maybe her personality became even less likable. Her best friend made special effort to testify against her. It might change her disposition a little - though she must’ve been surprised since the church community was so supportive while she was on trial.

But there was more than one church, maybe? When Mr Borden stopped attending that particular church did he not go to church at all? That’s not such a big deal, now, but I would imagine that in those days, your church affiliation was important.

I seem to recall that Lizzie remained active in charitable works - and while I know that not all of the organizations she supported were religious (like animal rescue and theater), I thought she did work in church-led programs?

So I thought maybe she went to a different one.

I’m so far “behind” - I’ve only just recently been bitten by the intrigue of Lizzie’s (and Emma and everyone else) life after the ordeal.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

The best source for additional insights into Emma & Lizzie post-trial is the book Parallel Lives. If you purchase, be ready for an enormous book. Coulda/shoulda been broken into 2-3 volumes.

Anyway, you will find much of interest.
Ida

Post by Ida »

Thanks for the conversation, I’ll look for the book.
Ida

Post by Ida »

Well, a “used” copy of the book goes for $95.

Probably well worth it, but a little too spendy for me right now.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:grin:

Parallel Lives is still available from the Historical Society in Fall River.

New copies are still being sold for 50 dollars.

https://lizzieborden.org/FRHSPress/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Here's an example of "buyer beware."

One of them is from a professional book seller's site. ABE. These are book dealers who should know better. If the book is still being sold new for 50 dollars. The used price should be 35 or there and around.

The other listing below is an ebay seller. How did he arrive at that price? Most of the time they check listings from book dealers to guide them in setting an asking price. But the book is being sold, new, for 49.99 by the author as we speak. Unless it is signed the ebay copy is worth no more than 40 bucks instead of 95, 120, or the rip-off 350. As for signed copies, I am certain you could still get it for 50 dollars from the Fall River Historical Society and the curator/author would be happy to sign it.

:alcohol:
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

MB -- any chance you've heard an update on when the FRHS plans to publish the Hilliard papers? There are so many gaps that information could feasibly help fill.

Thx
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Copied this from the Fall River paper. Since many cannot see it since you need a subscription to read the Herald. So, here is what it said. Including the photos included. In the third photo you can see one of the cross's arms hanging off (broken off).

AS for the Hilliard Papers. It is the next project on the docket by the society. Right now they are working on publishing another book about the Charlton Family of Fall River. Perhaps the middle of next year or late spring for Hilliard. Although from what I have been told, there are no real revelations. Although at times one can make revenant links or read between the lines. What is it they call it these days.... oh yes, conspiracy theories. Then again, is that not what the entire Lizzie saga is about?

https://www.heraldnews.com/story/news/l ... Owou8ToFx0

The cross was removed from the former Abbey Grill steeple in Fall River. Here's why.
Jo C. Goode
The Herald News
View Comments

AD
-1:0-1
SKIP

FALL RIVER — Last weekend's high winds may have been the culprit on how the cross atop the iconic former Abbey Grill steeple was damaged. On Friday, a crew removed the iconic Rock Street cross out of concern for public safety. “The arm of the cross had collapsed as of last Saturday and the streets have been blocked off. We’ve had a police detail out there stopping pedestrians and vehicles from traveling up the street,” said Glenn Hathaway, the city’s head of inspections. Hathaway said owner Andrew Lombardi hired a crane and steeple jack company to remove the cross on his order. “This was a safety issue, no doubt. The piece was flapping in the wind and could have dislodged,” said Hathaway. The inspection department was notified of the damaged cross by police, said Hathaway. A little before 9 a.m., a giant crane arrived at the former Abbey Grill, located in the former Central Congregational Church that was built around 1875.
Soon after the crane and crew arrived, a worker was hoisted to the top of the steeple in a bucket and was seen taking the cross apart in pieces, finally unloosening the base of the piece. Hathaway said after the cross is removed, the area will be capped off to prevent water from seeping into the steeple. Steeple related road closure has happened before The broken cross on the former Abbey Grill/Central Congregational Church in Fall River is removed Friday after it was damaged by wind.

Steeple repair workRepair work underway at Fall River's Historic Abbey The former Rock Street church has undergone multiple repairs over the years, including the steeple, that perhaps is best known for the black shroud that has covered it for years to prevent brick and mortar from raining down on the street and sidewalk.

Back in September 2017, city officials were so concerned they shut down a portion of Rock and Franklin streets that lasted almost two years. It was the second time Rock Street had been closed over safety concerns. Workers remove the broken cross on Workers remove the broken cross on the Central Congregational Church in Fall River Friday.
(Photo: Colin Furze)
Making assessmentsEngineer: Abbey Grill shroud in 'good' shape, steeple in 'great' shape
The problem then was that the shroud was showing so much deterioration and repair work on the steeple had not commenced.
The black safety shroud was installed in 2008 and was supposed to last only 18 months at the time.
Our View:Our View: A beautiful piece of Fall River endures

Repair work on the steeple began in the summer of 2019, that included repointing the tower, other spot repointing, power washing, painting stones and waterproofing the now 146-year-old structure.
Lombardi had operated an Italian restaurant at the Abbey Grill, but shut it down in late 2018 and turned it into an event venue and changing the name to the Historic Abbey. Previously it had been run as a culinary arts school. The church and cloister once served the city’s wealthiest families. Lizzie Borden was once a member. The church closed in 1987.
Ida

Post by Ida »

Thanks for all of that - I’ll order from the historical society, then.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Lizzie's old Congregational Church in Fall River is for sale.

There are many photos of the property in the link below. I believe the selling price is around One million, Six hundred thousand.

:study:

https://fun107.com/fall-river-central-c ... ie-borden/
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

What an impressive structure! Thanks for posting MB.

I'm finally visiting FR in September....I'll stop by the church, checkbook in hand. Ha!