Quick clear up please....

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

LABRhush

Quick clear up please....

Post by LABRhush »

Hi everyone. I'm an author and just wanted to clear up some details with your help. Jane Gray was Abby's stepmother, correct? Making Sarah Whitehead her half sister. I believe. And was Sarah the one nicknamed Birdie? And it is Birdie, rather than Bertie, right? I've done so much research I can't find these specific details in my notes. Lol. And thanks everyone, this forum is so incredibly helpful!
To do list: Eat pears :color:
WFordII

Re: Quick clear up please....

Post by WFordII »

I believe you are correct. She also had a niece they called Little Abby. According to their own words, Abby was a frequent visitor and often brought them little gifts, like mince pies with a hint of rose water. The ill-fated Mrs. Borden may not have been the perfect stepmother, but I don't see evidence that suggest she was the hateful, monsterous glutton she's often portrayed in pop culture.
LABRhush

Post by LABRhush »

Thank you, WFordl! Love these details. Perfect ❤️ And agreed. I absolutely do not think she was a gluttonous evil stepmother. Oh the gossip. So, also, Birdie w a d not t.... right?
WFordII

Post by WFordII »

Yes, with a D. I am also a writer and a student of Lizzie Borden. I would enjoy chatting with you more indepth about this fascinating case. Please feel free to message me!
LABRhush

Post by LABRhush »

Sounds fun! Same here. Msg me anytime, WFordll. I'd love to hear your take. Lizzie is my favorite topic!
jcurrie

Post by jcurrie »

I always understood that Sarah Whitehead's nickname was Bertie, not Birdie. This information is, I believe, stated in several books
Kat

Post by Kat »

Yes, jcurrie.
The listing in Hoffman’s book, Yesterday in Old Fall River says Sarah Bertha (Gray) Whitehead, 1864-1932.
“Bertie” is short for Bertha.
Kat

Post by Kat »

And:
Jane Gray is mother of Sarah Gray, Abbie Borden’s 1/2 sister. Sarah Gray married George W. Whitehead.
Abbie Potter is their daughter. We call her "Lil Abbie".
She is Abbie Whitehead Potter.

Jane Gray is Abbie Borden’s stepmother and the one who sold her 1/2 house to Andrew and Abbie Borden that caused all the ruckus in the Borden family.
JaneGray&AbbyPotterGranddau.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.