Lizzie's childhood

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

LABRhush

Lizzie's childhood

Post by LABRhush »

Hi everyone.
I know we have a few snippets about Lizzie being depressed as a child. And a friend, I think Lulie, (sp?) writing about her in her diary, but do we have any idea about what activities Lizzie was involved with? Or maybe any depictions of her family life when she was young? Games played, vacations, any normal family things?
To do list: Eat pears :color:
WFordII

Re: Lizzie's childhood

Post by WFordII »

Hi, Becky! The Bordens had a summer cottage by the beach. Maybe she liked to collect shells and build sandcastles?
LABRhush

Post by LABRhush »

Thanks Will! I like that. I was needing something very childlike and innocent and that's great. I know she enjoyed fishing and reading and was very involved with her church, but those seem to be when she's older. I know in the Victorian Era fathers (well to do ones at least) weren't overly involved with their children, but was curious what Andrew might have done with his daughters as a way to bond. 🤔
WFordII

Post by WFordII »

Hey, Becky! I wonder if LB kept a journal? If she did, she probably burned them. While some people opine that Lizzie was always a loner, I disagree. She was involved in several church activities, like teaching English to Chinese immigrant children. No doubt, she called on Alice and other friends growing up, and they visited her. It's my opinion that Lizzie Borden had a normal childhood, albeit restricted by Victorian mores. Lizzie may have been the younger sister, but I see her as more independent and outspoken than Emma. She would have been the leader in the childhood games. Just my opinion. :)
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Parallel Lives contains almost all that we know of Lizzie throughout her life outside of the crime itself. I just skimmed the appendix and I can probably compile a decent list of comments regarding her pre-20's. I'll work on it tomorrow.

She did take piano lessons in her pre-teens, but dropped it when she felt she wasn't progressing. Will likely have a source for you on the piano lessons after I work thru what Parallel Lives offers up.

We know so little about lizzie prior to 1887 when she started her active involvement in the church and, ironically, the same year the family had their real estate blow out that resulted in Lizzie and Emma demonstrating disrespect to Abby for the remaining 5 years of their relationship. I've always found that quite contradictory' for someone who 'saw the proverbial Christian light' to simultaneously demonstrate such rudeness, spite and a strong sense of entitlement.
WFordII

Post by WFordII »

I agree! Have you read my post called Musings about Abby D. Borden? I firmly believe that poor Abby has been grossly misaligned by the popular media of our times. Although Elizabeth Montgomery is my perennial portrayal of Lizzie Borden, the 1975 cult classic took great artistic liberties with the characters of Andrew and Abby Borden...to the point of gross defamation. What say you?
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Completely agree. We know very little about Abby's personality and her life in general. There are zero indications (outside of Lizzie's comments to Ms. Gifford, Augusta Tripp, etc.) that Abby was anything less than an adequate and average stepmother and wife.

The Elizabeth Montgomery movie was entertaining and really helped publicize the case and help us all imagine aspects of it much better. But to your point, the movie converted the murder victims into some strange form of slobbering barbarians. It also completely left John Morse out of the story and retold the pigeon episode in an 'over the top' dramatic and likely fictional manner.
WFordII

Post by WFordII »

Yes! Don't you agree the Borden murders have also been turned into a "blame the victims" case? It's as if the public wants to justify the actions...if Lizzie did it. Popular myth has turned a gruesome killing of an elderly couple into justifiable homicide. As you said, there's no evidence that either of the Bordens were cruel and hateful, let alone verbally and sexually abusive. How unfortunate for their reputations as respectable folk.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Based on this forum, I think almost all folks slightly familiar with the case know that the elder Borden's were nothing like as depicted on the movie.

Both girls clearly had reasonable independence of movement (it appears they could come and go as they pleased). They had their personal space (albeit not spacious), which included a 'social gathering room' which is how they used the guest room.

As best we can tell, they both had nice lives....just may not have been as nice as they would have preferred or as nice as they achieved after the acquittal.
WFordII

Post by WFordII »

I agree! Neither sister had to work and they received monthly allowances plus cash from their rental property. They had hand-tailored dresses and shopped at an exclusive jewelry store.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Labrush --

Sorry its taken so long to post this.....

Parallel Lives page 86, the following is referenced from Lulie's diary:

"Though Lulie and Lizzie lived in neighborhoods physically separated by the bustling, center of the city, they did seem to maintain a relationship that was not restricted entirely to school. "Lizzie Borden asked me to go out and ride with her last Saturday," Lulie wrote, "but it was very stormy and we concluded to go tomorrow but she can't go now until next Saturday." It is unknown if riding, in this case, meant on horseback or in a carriage; both were commonplace pastimes of the day and available to Lizzie, as her father did maintain, for many years, a horse and carriage in his Second Street barn. Riding horseback was also a pastime that could have been enjoyed in the country, on the family farm in Swansea."
LABRhush

Post by LABRhush »

Thanks for going out of your way to get this to me Camgarsky4!