The

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

camgarsky4

The

Post by camgarsky4 »

Trial Testimony. Page 1354-55
Charles Gifford, boarder @ 29 Third Street
Q. Will you describe the man?
A. The man, I should judge, would weigh 180 to 190 pounds, and he sat there on the steps apparently asleep[, with a straw hat pulled over his face, and I took hold of his arm and shook him, and in shaking him his hat fell off on the sidewalk, and then I lit a match and held it up in front of his face to see if I knew who it was, and found that I did not, and I went into the house and left the hat on the sidewalk. A few minutes afterwards Mr. Kirby went by.

Trial Testimony. Page 1357.
Uriah Kirby, owner of house @ 29 Third Street Trial Testimony. Page 1357-1359
Q. Now, then, begin and tell us what took place there.
A. Well, sir, he was sitting , and, as I said before, I spoke to him, hollered out to him or spoke loud. He sat there dormant, as it were, on about the middle step, I should think, either the second or third. He lay back against the side of a little fence that ran there. With his hat pulled down nearly over his eye, sitting there very quietly; didn’t seem to move at all; paid no attention to my voice. Then I put my hand on his hat on top of his head and shook him and spoke to him again; no re[ply. That is all that took place,. I left him there and went into my house.
Kat

“The” Phillips History of Fall River

Post by Kat »

I believe you started the real topic as another thread and offered Admin to delete this one.
I want to use it for testing, if you don’t mind. (Admin rarely changes this site)
Download of Phillips’ chapter on the Borden case.
Starts with Sarah Cornell, then Lizzie Borden, then Bertha Manchester, all buried in Oak Grove BTW.

http://www.sailsinc.org/durfee/phillips3-12.pdf
Last edited by Kat on Wed May 24, 2023 12:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kat

Re: The

Post by Kat »

I think it worked?
It’s a download of The Phillips History of Fall River, by Arthur Sherman Phillips, Fall River, MA, privately printed , Dover Press, 1944-46
Fascicle III, Chaper XII, “Notorious Local Murders”

It also has 4 of the photos he took of the Borden case.
Remember, Phillips (one of Lizzie’s defense team) had died already and his brother-in-law (Eastman) finished the book using Phillips notes, and probably a rough draft based on the previously published news article.
Also, Phillips had already given permission for the public dissemination of anything he wrote, no copyright restriction. I hope this works. It took me a while to find the site, after 10 years.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Trying attachment on IPad
IMG_0868.png
It’s a big file.

plz click on pic to make bigger
(Still testing my IPAD)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Kat -- do you know if Phillips waiving of copyright protection applied to his unpublished photos also? Or just the contents of the book?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Don’t know, sorry. If you were to publish them in a professional way, to sell, someone should definitely find out.
So did my “test” work?
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

:salut: Your test worked perfectly! Wonderful of you to post these articles and images 😊 I’m so enjoying reading your learned posts again, Kat.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks for the feedback!
Here is the Phillips permission for his “History of Fall River.”
It’s in the very first few pages of his Fascicle I.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Also, at the bottom of the quartet of photos, the legend states they were taken at the time of the Borden Trial.
It’s possible to assume that his Third Street pictures (if indeed they are all by him), were also taken around that time which could be April/May, 1893. That would give us an idea of the leafing cycle of those trees on Chagnon property. That would be beginning of Spring, but August 1892, might be in full leaf.