Jennings' legal bill

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

jcurrie

Jennings' legal bill

Post by jcurrie »

I'm sure I read somewhere (I think it was Victoria Lincoln's book) that Jennings' legal fees to Lizzie was $27,000.00. This seems very high for the 1890s, let alone today. Can anyone confirm this sum?

Unfortunately I no longer have the Lincoln book because I've bought several more, of recent vintage.
camgarsky4

Re: Jennings' legal bill

Post by camgarsky4 »

JCurrie -- the entire defense attorney spend was ~$40k, which would be in the $000's of thousands in today's value. Basically she hired the 1890's version of the OJ legal dream team.....and it turned out to be well spent.

Ex-Governor Robinson was the big ticket item on the legal team.

The specific information is 'somewhere', I just don't handily recall where to find it. Kat might have the info.
'
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

JC -- I think I might have already mentioned this, but Lincoln, Brown, Radin, Spiering.....all these authors introduced as much or more fiction to the case than accuracy. You will almost literally need to go thru reverse brainwashing to purge your mind of what you "learned" from those fiction novels before you can accurately get your hands around the facts of the borden case. I'm Looking forward to hearing your thoughts as you read thru the Spencer book
jcurrie

Post by jcurrie »

Thank you, camgarsky4 for the information. Actually, I've just discovered in Kimbra Eberly's book "Inadmissible" that Lizzie's legal fees were: £4.5 million for Governor Robinson and $2.6 million for Andrew Jennings using the 2020 inflation calculator. Truly mind boggling.
Kat

Post by Kat »

On pg 275 of Rebello, Lizzie Borden Past and Present
Al-Zack Press, Fall River, MA, 1999, it says:
“Note: In 1996 dollars, the total cost for the trial was approximately $2.5 million.

Legal fees for Lizzie were approximately $9.5 million; $4.5 million for Att. Robinson, $2.6 million for Att. Jennings and Att. Adams.” [sic: each]

The Boston Daily Globe said Gov Robinson “received as high as $25,000.” (article dated 1896).

Same page (but not directly attributed) states “District Attorney Knowlton received $340,000, in 1996 dollars.”

Rebello goes on to state the jury’s pay was $3 per day, and in 1996 this would be about $50.
—so he is timsing by 17? in 1996. Harry and I used to times by 18 in 2002 ish.
(But it wasn’t calculated in “pounds”. Did yr author footnote their source bc it would be interesting to know…)

And yes, very expensive, and yes “Dream Team!” And I wonder what Emma felt about all the costs.
(As her father’s daughter, she might, in her deepest mind, be thinking “my money shan’t pay for this?”…) Emma was pretty much in charge of the money at time of trial.