Pail of bloody towels

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

camgarsky4

Re: Pail of bloody towels

Post by camgarsky4 »

JCurrie -- hopefully you are still reading the forum.

I think I found where Pittman got the idea about the towels being sent to Boston for testing.

Providence News August 10, 1892
On Friday there was found in the cellar of the Borden house a bundle of rags. These rags were concealed under a bucket turned up side down. They were smeared with blood, as though the blade of an axe had been wiped on them. Dr. Dolan took these rags and sent to Prof. Wood of Boston. He also sent a strip of carpet, dyed with the blood of Mrs. Borden.
Prof. Wood today said that the blood on the rags, as well as that on the carpet, was human blood. Near the spot where the rags were found the police found the axe with the stains resembling blood stains on it. These stains it is said are human blood stains.

Until today, I've never read the Providence News reporting on the case sequentially and thoroughly. I'm just through the 10th and the articles are mostly written in a style I would call "editorial". The reporter laces paragraphs with their thoughts of what he/she just wrote. At least thru August 10th, the Providence News is proving to be some of the most inaccurate reporting I have yet read on the case. The reporter & editor must not have even been reading their competition to get so many details wrong.

For anyone reading this post/thread for the first time, sworn testimony that contradicts this article is included in earlier posts on this same thread.
That said, it does provide a possible source for Ms. Pittman's book reference to Boston based blood testing for the rags.

Another interesting item from the Providence News is a headline for when the Coroners Inquest was held, referencing the event as a....."Crowners Quest". I think Kat has some educational info on why that headline really isn't misstated.
Last edited by camgarsky4 on Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kat

Re: Pail of bloody towels

Post by Kat »

https://journals.iupui.edu/index.php/in ... 573/3521/0

That was a very interesting headline-thanks! The wording kinda made sense to me the longer I stared at it- so I Googled: see link above

I read a little of that document - it’s 16 pages (PDF) but interesting on how this new Nation used the old country’s laws etc.

I love this!
And I learned something!
Cool!😎
Excerpt:
clic on pic to read
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.