"Happy" Murder Day Anniversary!

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Kat

"Happy" Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

Maybe motive for murder, and pent up dislike and distrust by Emma and Lizzie exploded years later? this lady could be the unwitting catalyst:
Jane Gray—Abbie Borden’s stepmother wanted to move and was selling her share of her house.
Rebello, Lizzie Borden Past and Present, 1999 page 564:

“Fourth Street (west side)
#45 Mrs. Sarah B. Whitehead was the half sister of Abby Borden.
Andrew Borden purchased Mrs. Whitehead's mother's (Mrs. Jane
B. Gray
) share of the house and deeded it to Abby Borden.”

—And Abbie Potter (pictured) always felt she was deprived of some fortune and it always rankled, tho she would not have been entitled.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
camgarsky4

Re: "Happy" Murder Day Anniversary!

Post by camgarsky4 »

What fortune did she think she was deprived of? Andrews? There is zero reasonable doubt that Abby died first.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Somewhere I collected Bridget's living locations.....I don't name my files very well, so might take me a little while to find it.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Oh thank you!
A few of my files were renamed by the person helping me replace all my computers when I moved.
I can’t think of a good search term that would be the shortcut to what I am wondering about.
I will check Bridget at least because I remember some phrase that he (Morse) “took her out.” Or went across the street to get her, the week after the murders.
Kat

"Happy" Murder Day Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

I wonder what life would have been like going forward at Second Street in the Andrew Borden family after 1887, if Widow Gray had not decided to sell her part of the house?
And this 1/2 house distribution of an asset transaction may be common, but it sure has the potential to divide a family!

Rebello, pg 554+
“May 2
Abby D. Borden purchased from Jane E. Gray for $1,500 one "undivided half" of a lot and house on the west side of Fourth Street in Fall River bought by the late Oliver Gray in 1857. On that same day, Jane E. Gray discharged a mortgage to the Fall River Savings Bank. (Book 128: 271)

October 1
Andrew J. Borden sold to Emma and Lizzie for $1.00+ the Ferry Street lot in Fall River, 120+ square
rods and the house on it. (Book 130: 524) This was the old Borden home on Ferry Street in Fall
River once owned by Andrew J. Borden's father.”

Lizzie
Inquest
Q. Now, tell me once more, if you please, the particulars of that trouble that you had with your mother four or five years ago.
A. Her father's house on Fourth street was for sale—
Q. Whose father's house?
A. Mrs. Borden's father's house. She had a stepmother and a half sister, Mrs. Borden did, and this house was left to the stepmother and a half sister, if I understood it right, and the house was for sale. The stepmother, Mrs. Oliver Gray, wanted to sell it, and my father brought [sic] out the Widow Gray's share. She did not tell me, and he did not tell me, but some outsiders said that he gave it to her. Put it in her name. I said if he gave that to her, he ought to give us something. Told Mrs. Borden so. She did not care anything about the house herself. She wanted it so this half sister could have a home, because she had married a man that was not doing the best he could, and she thought her sister was having a very hard time and wanted her to have a home. And we always thought she persuaded father to buy it. At any rate he did buy it, and I am quite sure she did persuade him. I said what he did for her people he ought to do for his own children. So he gave us grandfather's house. That was all the trouble we ever had.
Q. You have not stated any trouble yet between you and her?
A. I said there was feeling four or five years ago when I stopped calling her mother. I told you that yesterday.
Q. That is all there is to it then?
A. Yes, sir.
Q. You had no words with your stepmother then?
A. I talked with her about it and said what he did for her he ought to do for us; that is all the words we had.
Q. That is the occasion of his giving you the house that you sold back to him?
A. Yes, sir.
Kat

Post by Kat »

camgarsky4 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:27 pm What fortune did she think she was deprived of? Andrews? There is zero reasonable doubt that Abby died first.
Here’s what Abbie Potter thought about Andrew Borden’s fortune and the basis of her anger at Lizzie. (Partial)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Thanks Kat. Do you happen to have the newspaper and date that article was published? I'd be interested in reading the full article.

Her view is pretty much the consensus view of those that think lizzie did the murdering. I'm still 'on the fence' on whether that Lizzie (or anyone) was intentional with the sequence of the killings.
Kat

Post by Kat »

It’s been added to a post here before, but I can post the whole thing, sure. Appreciate your interest.
Ya’all know about clicking on pic
Kat

"Happy"Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

There’s not much happening with Lizzie until the 22nd, unless someone can find something…
Kat

"Happy" Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

On the 22nd Lizzie is brought back to Fall River for her Preliminary Hearing but it is then decided to delay until the 25th, and Lizzie asks to stay while waiting and officials agree.

While we’re waiting, btw, did we find Bridget’s whereabouts?
Kat

“Happy" Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

Hello!
Lizzie Borden is back in town! It’s the 22nd of August:
She has been summoned to the Preliminary Hearing back in Fall River, from Taunton. She seems to prefer the jail there, especially when she occupies the Matron Reagan’s room. It’s easier on the family, too, to visit her, and to bring her meals from home.

The Lizzie Borden Sourcebook
Kent&Flynn
Brandon Pub, 1992
(These 2 articles are from August 22, 1892, but we infer the date by the content)

”The Fall River Herald, August xx, 1892

BEFORE THE BAR!

Lizzie Borden Brought Down
from the Jail

TO ANSWER TO THE CHARGE
OF MURDER.

A Boston Lawyer Assisting
in the Defence.

TWO OUTSIDE YARNS ABOUT THE
AWFUL TRAGEDY.

Views of a Well Known Novelist on
the Question of Guilt.

The day has arrived for the beginning of the examination of Lizzie Borden for one of the most heinous of crimes. While this court has not final jurisdiction in the matter, yet if it can be shown to the Judge that there is a doubt as to the young woman's guilt she will be discharged.

The history of the crime from the time Miss Borden found her father lying dead on a sofa with his head hacked beyond recognition is well known from Maine to California. What happened behind the closed doors at the inquest the public is ignorant of. The revelations made there were the basis for the arrest of the daughter for the murder of her father. Today's proceedings will tend to show probably whether that arrest was made to satisfy a suspicious public, or that the ends of justice demanded it.

The question as to whether Judge Blaisdell should sit on the bench after hearing the evidence at the inquest has been thoroughly ventilated, and the general opinion has been in the negative. As he intends to preside, his rulings on questions of law will be watched with more than ordinary interest.

Since her commitment in Taunton jail very little is known of the accused. Outside of visits by her sister, her minister and counsel and one friend, Miss Borden has been virtually dead to the world. But a few weeks ago this young woman's society was courted. Heir to a large property, her position in life was envied by many. Today she is placed before the bar of justice to answer a charge for which the penalty is life imprisonment.

At two minutes of 2 o'clock a number of ladies walked into the court room and filled every seat. Mrs. Dr. Bowen was greatly distressed, and hid her head in her handkerchief to hide her emotion.
As the clock struck 2 Judge Blaisdell came from his office and took his place on the bench. A stillness that was distressing then followed until ten minutes of 3, when City Marshal Hilliard, Detective Seaver, District Attorney Knowlton and Lawyers Jennings and Adams entered the room.

A consultation was held by the lawyers, when District Attorney Knowlton arose and said:
"Some part of this case requires the examination of various things that have been found by the officers. These things are now in the possession of men who are expert examiners and they have not yet been able to build up or make even any progress. The examination is insufficient for them to call witnesses. My learned friends, as well as myself, are anxious that this evidence should be presented at the trial. I would suggest that the trial be adjourned until next Thursday morning at 10 o'clock.

The judge was agreeable and the crowds sadly departed.”
Last edited by Kat on Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kat

“Happy"Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

(Photo is Matron Reagan)

The Fall River Herald, August xx, 1892

MUCH CONJECTURE

As to the Reasons for the
Continuance

OF THE BORDEN HEARING
UNTIL THURSDAY.

The Accused Confined at
the Central Station.

A REPORT THAT THE POISON
THEORY WILL COUNT

Among the Points to be Urged by
the Prosecution.

There was a feeling of keen disappointment about the city Monday night when it became known that the examination of Lizzie Borden had been again deferred. People who have been unsettled in their minds as to what the verdict against the prisoner should be are anxious to have the whole evidence laid before them so that they can form an opinion for themselves. Accordingly there was more or less impatience with the prosecutors because the case did not go forward according, to the announcement, but so long as the public has only such an interest in the case as concerns justice and the care for general safety, the officials on the government side did not appear to be disturbed at the complaints.

The postponement was the theme of discussion everywhere, and plenty of men assured their friends that they knew its significance. As the reasons assigned for the government's action differed quite materially from one another, they gave rise to such energetic discussion as characterized the early days of the case.

It cannot be doubted that the majority of people believe that the delay is a manifestation of weakness on the part of the prosecution. Dist. Atty. Knowlton declined to give any reason other than that which he expressed in court, and the police are silent. The HERALD man who talked with Mr. Jennings got small satisfaction.
"Did you urge a postponement of the case'" was the question asked the lawyer.
"The suggestion came from the other side. We were ready for the trial, for you must bear in mind that the duty belongs to the government to show that Lizzie Borden is guilty and not to us to prove that she is innocent. Until she has been proved guilty, the presumption is that she is innocent.'
……________________________

Was Not Taken Back.

It was at Lizzie Borden's request that she was allowed to remain at the central station until Thursday. The accommodations are better and saves the publicity that would have to be undergone in travelling to and from Taunton.

She is looking much better than when committed and her appetite is also improved. Her meals are brought from the Second street residence and are eaten with an apparent relish. Last night she slept soundly and looked as bright as could be this morning. Most of her time is spent reclining on a cot. She is a constant reader, the books being of a light character. One of the matrons is in constant attendance in the room and is held responsible for her charge.

Post by camgarsky4 »

"Her meals are brought from the Second street residence and are eaten with an apparent relish."

With Bridget not at working at Second Street any longer, I suppose the 'chef' for these meals was Bridget's 'backfill' as Borden domestic help. I can't imagine Emma decided to learn to cook for the special occasion of Lizzie's imprisonment.

WFordIII -- do you plan to layer these dining storylines into your Lizzie cookbook?
Kat

"Happy" Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

THE EVENING STANDARD

Monday, August 22, 1892 Page 1

READY FOR THE ORDEAL.

Lizzie Borden Arrives from Fall
River This Morning.

Hearing in the Murder Case
Resumed at 2 O'Clock.

Prisoner Displays the Same
Wonderful Nerve.
[Partial headline -Illustrations from Boston Globe]

[Special Dispatch.]

Fall River, Aug. 22. --- Miss Lizzie Borden arrived here from Taunton on the 10:55 o'clock train at the Fall River station. Her departure from the jail at Taunton was a quiet one, as it was not expected that she would be taken to this city until later in the day. On the way down she talked with the officers on everyday topics, but said nothing about the murder. On the arrival of the train in this city Detective Seaver alighted first, and was followed by Rev. Mr. Buck. Then came Miss Lizzie, closely followed by City Marshal Hilliard.

The prisoner still retains her wonderful nerve. She leaned heavily on the minister's arm, and a few steps from the train Marshal Hilliard put his arm through hers and walked with her to the door where a hack with closed blinds was standing. There was not a trace of suffering on her face, not even a tear stain. She was dressed in the same blue cloth suit she wore when taken to Taunton a week ago and her face was covered by a thin blue veil. There was a great deal of interest taken in her by the crowds about the station but there was nothing in the character of a demonstration.

Officers Doherty, Harrington, Perron, Chace, and Medley kept a clear passageway. The reporters did not pay Lizzie the same attentions by gazing as they did one week ago. When she was seated in the hack with the minister and detective the city marshal gave directions to the driver to go to the Central Station by a circuitous route. The directions were followed. Ten minutes after three or four hack-loads of reporters were landed at the Central Station. The prisoner’s carriage drove down Granite street through Rock, and hauled up at the north door.

Officers Davis and McAdams cleared the passageway to the matron's room, and Mrs. Russell followed the party up stairs to again resume her duties as Miss Borden's keeper.

When the prisoner arrived at the matron's room her counsel were there awaiting her arrival, also her sister Emma and Mr. Morse.

It is currently reported that Mr. Jennings is now in possession of all Miss Borden's right in the property of her father and that he has been instructed not to spare a dollar in preparing and continuing the work of defence, even though Lizzie should be penniless at the conclusion of the trial. Therefore it is probable that the trial will be a lengthy and protracted one.

In the court-room no accommodations were made for the reporters, and they were obliged to apply to furniture stores to secure tables for their own use. As early as 11 o'clock people began to arrive in the court-room, among whom were a number of women who occupied seats where they could obtain a good view of the proceedings. They brought their knitting work with them and lunch baskets were numerous. At the head of the stairs was an officer who would only admit a few at a time and during the proceedings it is stated that only enough spectators will be allowed in the room to fill the seats.

The Prisoner's Counsel.

Col. Melvin O. Adams of Boston will assist Mr. Jennings for the defence at this hearing. When the trial comes, if the case reaches an indictment, eminent counsel from New York or Chicago, it is expected, will be called into the case.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Evening Standard
Tuesday, August 23, 1892 Page 8

KNOWLTON NOT READY.

Counsel for Defence Consents to
a Postponement.

No Evidence Presented in the
Borden Murder Trial.

Hearing Adjourned Until Thursday
of This Week.

Prisoner Not Required to Enter
the Court-Room.

Crowds of Curious Spectators Turned
Away Disappointed.

[Special Dispatch.]
Fall River, Aug. 22. --- The second district court room in this city was a continuous buzz of excited conversation in the period just preceding the trial of Lizzie Borden this afternoon. Inside the rail the entire space was filled with tables and chairs for the counsel, and newspaper men, about 35 of the latter being present. Several newspaper artists were also on hand. Among the spectators was a large predominance of ladies, doubtless due to the susceptibility of the guardian of the law at the outer portal.

​When the time for the court session to commence arrived not a seat was to be had in the room, and quantities of spectators were standing. At precisely 2 o'clock Court Officer Wyatt announced the court, and as Judge Blaisdell came into the room he was greeted ceremoniously by the large assemblage rising to its feet. Seldom does a justice of the district court in this county receive this mark of distinction from such an assemblage.

As the justice took his place on the bench a hush fell on the room and all eyes and ears anxiously riveted their attention on the entrance to the room in eager expectancy of some sign of the arrival of the much talked of prisoner and defendant. She was preceded several minutes by her counsel, Andrew J. Jennings of Fall River and Melvin O. Adams of Boston, who through weeks, perhaps, to come will put forth all their efforts to save a member of the Fall River elite from a convict’s fate.
​Their patience was in vain for she did not appear. Instead at 2:50 o'clock the bulky form of District Attorney Knowlton emerged from the judge’s room. A hush at that moment fell on the officers and spectators.

Mr. Knowlton addressed Judge Blaisdell, while all the people present craned forward and listened. He said a number of things had been taken from the Borden house which needed to be examined by experts, who were not ready at the present time to render their report. On this account he asked that the examination be postponed till Thursday next.

The Judge said it did not seem to him that the demand was unreasonable, and he therefore ordered a continuance till Thursday morning at 10 o'clock.

Among those who were present in the court room was Bridget Sullivan, who was attired in a suit of blue with hat of same color, trimmed on the front with a bow of blue ribbon. She seemed at peace with herself and all the world; had a good color and was apparently not haunted by any sad thought.

John V. Morse sat a little distance at her left, and to the ordinary observer he displayed no emotion. He sat calm and unmoved and apparently was the most indifferent of spectators.

​Lizzie's sister Emma, who has been with her at all times when she could since her arrest, was in Matron Russell's room from the time her sister arrived this morning, was a comforter to the girl, rendering every assistance in her power. Neither Lizzie or Emma was in the court room during the afternoon, but counsel for defence, A. J. Jennings of Fall River and M. O. Adams of Boston, were on hand, although they did not find any need to make any remarks or offer any objection to the course pursued by the government.

One of the most interesting events of the tedious wait preceding District Attorney Knowlton's announcement was furnished by a citizen, who announced himself as a taxpayer and a man who was entitled to sit down, getting a seat in a reporter's place and endeavoring to enforce his position, but who abandoned it when Officer Wyatt put in an appearance.

​A conversation with the District Attorney this afternoon by a Standard reporter resulted in gaining not much information. He said he knew little more of the proceedings then the various outsiders. When questioned in regard to the witnesses and the order of their precedence, he said that Dr. Dolan, the medical examiner, would be the first one called by the government, but beyond that he could say nothing.

[By Associated Press.]
Fall River, Aug. 22. --- The court room was crowded inside the rails at 2 o'clock. Back of the rail, where the strange crown of rough faces is usually seen, there were ladies in plenty and all were arrayed in fine clothes. Among the many who were present were all Aldermen Beattie, Brady and McLaughlin, Rev. John Brown, Michael Burnham, P. W. Lyman, Drs. Leary, Dwelly, William Collins of Haverhill, St. Germain, Judge Carter of Haverhill, James T. Cummin, Mr. William Durfee, Mayor Coughlin and Benjamin Cook. There were 32 newspaper workers within the rail. Three of them were ladies. Among the men were five artists who were engaged in sketching everything from the carpet to the ceiling.

​Bridget Sullivan and Mrs. Russell were on the scene early. District Attorney Knowlton appeared at 1:54 o'clock and went into the judge's private room. The judge followed shortly afterward.
​Bridget Sullivan has grown very pale since the day she was first seen by the Associated Press representative. She was dressed in a suit of blue trimmed with lace and she remained for some time in conversation with Lawyer James Cummings.

The heat in the room began to make itself felt early in the proceedings and gave evidence of weary hours to come.

​City Marshal Hilliard was present in a handsome new uniform with fine shoulder straps.
​Dr. Dolan, Dr. Bowen, superintendent Connell, Justice Lovatt, and crowds of female witnesses began to file in until standing-room was hardly obtainable.

The city hall bell had hardly ceased ringing the hour of two when Judge Blaisdell entered from his room and went up to the bench. As he walked along each of the 300 persons in the room arose and remained standing until he bowed and sat on a seat so filled with fate.

​The rising was an innovation and an unexpected honor in the district court.

John V. Morse entered the room after the judge was seated, and ex-Congressman Robert T. Davis followed him. Attorney Phillips was the first lawyer to appear at the table set apart for the defence. City Physician Kelly and his wife were shown seats occupied by other witnesses, seats usually occupied by prisoners.

As one looked around the court-room, filled as it never was before, it was noticed that the large proportion of the guests were women. Some were old, some young, but all were curious to the last degree. They strained their necks and looked nervously at each person connected with the case as they appeared.

Mrs. Dr. Bowen and Mrs. Churchill sat in the witness seats and both were crying bitterly.
​Attorney Jennings appeared at 2:18 and he was scowling, as though indignant at the curious that bent their eyes toward him.

There was a warm discussion going on in the clerk's room between District Attorney Knowlton, Attorneys Jennings and Adams regarding the admission of certain evidence to give the defendants an insight into the government's case. There was a long wait of the prisoners appearance. She was delayed in the matron's room where her attorney and her intimate friends engaged her in conversation.

William Kennedy of Broadway created a scene during the long wait. He had taken a seat of a New Bedford Standard reporter and talked loudly, when Court Officer Wyatt appeared. He moved Kennedy outside the rail and directed him to a seat on the floor.

At ten minutes of 3 District Attorney Knowlton arose and said: "If it please your honor, there are some things used as evidence in this case which are wanting at the present time. They are the clothing and various parts of the furnishings of the rooms where the murder occurred. They are in the hands of the experts and they will be here to-morrow or next day probably, or the day following. Consequently we have agreed with the defendant's counsel to adjourn this hearing until Thursday, if it meets your honor's approval." An adjournment until Thursday was then ordered. …..
Last edited by Kat on Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kat

“Happy" Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

I had no idea that the courtroom was full and everyone expectant before the delay was pronounced. I thought they just let lawyers know and they would tell their clients, and maybe put a notice in the newspaper. This is quite an inconvenience for everyone, including the public spectators!

I have read that this non-event created as much argument and new speculation as the original crimes!
Kat

"Happy" Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts vs. Lizzie A. Borden, The Knowlton Papers, 1892-1893, Michael Martins & Dennis Binette editors, FRHS press, 1994

HK019
Letter, handwritten in ink.

HARVARD MEDICAL SCHOOL.
CHEMICAL LABORATORY
Pocasset, Aug. 23d 1892
My dear Mr. Knowlton:

I rec'd your letter this P.M. on my return from Boston. I much prefer
to go to Fall River on Saturday if I can testify so as to get home Sat. night.

I have completed today a very careful analysis of both stomachs for
Prussic acid but none is present. Had death been due to that poison I
should have found it, because the stomachs have been tightly enclosed in
glass bottles, moreover I see no reason for suspecting that Mr. or Mrs.
Borden were dead before the blows were inflicted on their heads.

Mrs. Borden's stomach contained nearly 11 ounces of nearly solid
food consisting chiefly of meat & bread partly in solid lumps. There was
also considerable fat (broth & Butter) and some vegetable pulp cells
(potato or fruit, such as apple) and a few shreds of vegetable tissue (possi-
bly vegetables in the broth or apple skin)- I saw one large flake which.
looked like the skin of a red apple.

The quantity of bread & meat shows that digestion was in the early
stage at the time of death -

Mr. Borden's stomach contained about 8 ounces of very liquid con-
tents (almost all water) with but little solid matter which consisted chiefly
of vegetable pulp cells & some fat - There were only very few fibers of meat
& few starch granules (bread) remaining in the stomach. If possible it
would be well to ascertain whether he ate an apple while up town or not -
There were also a number of small flakes of vegetable cells like those of
an apple or pear skin in his stomach - The small quantity of solid food in
his stomach shows digestion in his case was far advanced - say 3 to 4 hours
if digestion went on normally. The stomachs of both Mr. & Mrs. Borden
were perfectly healthy in appearance and showed no evidence of the
action of any poison - The stomachs were neither congested nor irritated,
so that I do not consider it necessary for the purpose of your preliminary
hearing to make an analysis to prove the absence of ordinary poisons -
Prussic acid is the only ordinary poison which would kill immediately
within 15 minutes & leave no marks (either congestion or irritation)
except in very rare cases & under rare circumstances. If an indictment
should be found, it will then be time enough to prove the absence of the
other poisons. Such an analysis would require 2 or 3 weeks steady work.

I will come to Fall River on Saturday reaching there at 10, 11 A.M.
unless I hear from you to come Friday or Monday.

I would like to know the exact ingredients of the mutton broth
which they had for breakfast.

Very sincerely yours
Edward S. Wood.
Hon. H. M. Knowlton

From reading the speculation in the newspapers, it seems Dr Wood was one of the delays to the start of the Preliminary Hearing.
Kat

“Happy" Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

The Fall River Globe
Partial
…. Aug 23, 92

….. Lizzie A. Borden is a prisoner at the matron's room at the central police station. She is living on food brought from her home, and is being attended by Rev. Mr. Buck, who carries flowers to her, and gives her, also, the Christian consolation she is supposed to need at this time.
​Her church pastor, Rev. W. Walker Jubb is on vacation. Matron's Reagan and Russell are giving her unusual care by order of the authorities. A cot from the patrolmen's room, bedding from her home, friends calling on her and "speaking her praises" afterward, - who can say Miss Lizzie Borden is a prisoner?

—There was also an editorial reminding readership, ordinary thinking folks who were forming opinions prior to the legal actions and evidence, that the prisoner was to be considered innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, and should be treated that way with open minds and no slander or libel.
Kat

"Happy" Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

The 24th is noted for the debacle that occurred or didn’t occur, in the Matron’s room at the Fall River jail, the day before the Preliminary Hearing of the 25th Aug., 1892.
It’s “You’ve given me away” day: Enough controversy that caused Matron Reagan to become a witness at the trial.
Starting with the FRGlobe report (they were named as being there)- then next offering will be Jennings notes on the subject- then Matron Reagan’s truncated testimony about events on Aug 24th in her room at the jail, questioned much later at the trial itself, the following year.

Fall River Globe
Aug 25, 1892
(Excerpt)
(possibly by E. Porter, or Manning)

DID EMMA CONFESS?

"You Gave Me Away," Said Lizzie In The Matron's Room.

Yesterday, the eve of the trial of Lizzie Borden for the murder of her father, was eventful in its startling and sensational happenings. Marshal Hilliard was in New Bedford but the other local men were hurrying to and fro as if burdened with a great responsibility and at work on a most important development.

Early yesterday forenoon Mr. Jennings called at the Borden house. He had a long and earnest consultation with Miss Emma. It is reported that at this consultation Mr. Jennings demanded to know of Emma whether or not Lizzie had talked with her as to her (Lizzie's) guilt or innocence. Subsequent developments go to show that Emma felt the awful responsibility which rested upon her and that she gave Mr. Jennings some intimation of the true inwardness of this crime.

When a Globe reporter saw Mr. Jennings last night he would neither affirm nor deny that he had had a virtual confession from Emma. To go back to the morning. After Mr. Jennings had the talk with Emma he came direct to the Central Station and went to Lizzie. Mrs. Reagan, the matron, left the two in private consultation. What was said by them is not known to anyone else except possibly to Attorney Adams.

After Mr. Jennings came out he took the next train to Boston and remained there until 6 o'clock. While he was away the most tragic scene was enacted in the matron's room. When Mrs. Reagan returned at the moment Mr. Jennings left the room she found Lizzie Borden in a nervous and excited frame of mind. The hitherto wonderful composure had for the first time left this woman who has attracted the attention of the entire country.

She paced the room to and fro, and wrung her hands in the excitement of the hour. Had Mr. Jennings told her that Emma had acquainted him with the true inwardness of the situation? Did he tell Lizzie that he knew she was guilty or that he knew she was innocent?

Something had transpired which caused the steel nerves of Lizzie Borden to give way. That something was out of the ordinary in its significance.

In the afternoon Emma came to visit her sister and was received with a coolness which bespoke the mental condition of the prisoner. Mrs. Reagan witnessed the scene and heard the short conversation which followed.

As Emma entered, Lizzie turned her back upon her. To Lizzie it appeared that her sister and nearest friend had deserted her. A moment of silence passed, and then Lizzie turned face to face with Emma and said:

"You gave me away in this matter, didn't you, Emma?"

Emma replied - "No Lizzie."

Than Lizzie said - "Yes you did and I know it, but I will never give in one inch," and she illustrated her words, measuring an inch on her forefinger, by placing her thumb against it.

The conversation was dropped here and Emma was visibly overcome with sorrow. An hour after this happened a Globe reporter knocked at the door of the matron's room. It opened and Rev. Mr. Jubb, Mrs. Brigham and Lizzie could be seen. The prisoner sat with her back to the door rocking back and forth and Mr. Jubb was in front and near to her in earnest conversation.

Mrs. Reagan said that Lizzie was very much agitated and she (the matron) did not wish to be disturbed. Her talk with the Globe man was short but it confirmed the truthfulness of the conversation between the two sisters as above quoted.

At 6 o'clock Lizzie's visitors withdrew. The police were active in the guard room below. All hands were gathering in the marshal's office and that official was expected every moment. When he arrived a Globe man told him the above story in his private office, and he said: "That's news to me. I've been out of town all day and I don't know what has transpired."

"Is this in a line with what you might have expected?" he was asked.

The marshal hesitated, then said - "I have great confidence in Emma Borden, I think her an honest woman and while, if this story be true, it is a great surprise to me; I can see how, if Emma knew, she would have told her lawyer. Lizzie never would."

"Will you put Mrs. Reagan on the witness stand to prove that this conversation took place?"

"She is a government witness and as such must tell all she knows."

"Will you ask Emma about this matter?"

"Emma is also a State witness and she must either lie or tell the truth. She will be asked if she ever had a talk with Lizzie about this affair. If she has had she must tell what was said."….

……..
Last edited by Kat on Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kat

"Happy" Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

The Jennings Journals 1892-1893
“The unpublished notes and documents from the files of Lizzie Borden’s Defence Attorney, Andrew Jackson Jennings.
Michael Martins Dennis A. Binette Stefani Koorey Editors
Fall River Historical Society Press”

….…Entry Recorded by Andrew J. Jennings:

Aug 25/92 saw Matron Reagan with reporter of N Y World & she denied the story about L & E having a falling out - - & said nothing on it. ….

……..Entry recorded by Andrew J. Jennings:

[Reagan] denied story Aug 25 to John R Caldwell reporter New York World Recorder Manning of F. R. Globe & Hickey.

Matron Reagan – denied on Aug 26/92 to Mr Buck that L & E had any falling out. told in presence of E & L Borden Mrs Geo. Brigham, Mrs C J Holmes & Mr Buck that she was willing to sign certificate if Marshall would let her

………………………

………Entry Recorded by Andrew J. Jennings:

E. L.B . says she was in room in morning – AJ came & said wished to see L alone. E went away - & left me there When she came back in afternoon Mrs C. J. H. & A. H. that when they went away Mrs Brigham came & E. L. B. went away leaving Mrs Brigham there –

………………………..
Mrs Reagan – story Emma you give me away – denied story to Hickey of F. R. Globe, Manning of F. R. Globe, John R. Caldwell of N.Y. Recorder & reporter of World – Mrs Piercey of N.Y. Herald heard Marshall call Mrs N. not to sign.

E. W. Buck & C. J. H. heard paper read to her

Mrs R told Mrs Holmes not Mrs R – also said to Mrs Brigham she would signed if Marshall willing.
Kat

"Happy" Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

TRIAL
Mrs Reagan
(PARTIAL/Abbreviated-you are lucky not to have to read the full testimony. She is as literal as Bridget, and as full of “I couldn’t say," “I can’t tell," “I don’t remember.”)

MRS. HANNAH REAGAN, Sworn.

Q. (By Mr. Moody.) Won't you give me your full name?
A. Mrs. Hannah Reagan.

Q. Are you married, single, or a widow?
A. Married, sir.

Q. Are you the matron at the Police Station in Fall River?
A. Yes, sir.

Page 1213 / i234

Q. How long have you held that position?
A. Five years the 8th day of last August.

Q. My attention was diverted when you answered. How long did you say you had been matron there?
A. Five years the 8th day of last August.

Q. What are the duties of your position, Mrs. Reagan?
A. To look after the woman, sir.

Q. Those who are in custody?
A. Yes, sir.

Q. How long was the prisoner in your charge at Fall River?
A. I should say from nine to ten days; I have not kept the run of it.

Q. What part of the place of confinement did she occupy?
A. The matron's room, sir.

Q. That is, your own room?
A. Yes, sir.

Q. Were you with her during the day time?
A. Yes, sir.

Q. Every day?
A. Yes, sir.

Q. I will call your attention to the 24th of August,---was it the 24th of August?
A. Yes, sir.

Q. Did Miss Emma Borden come to see her at that time?
A. Yes, sir.

Q. About what time in the morning did she come?
A. About 20 minutes to nine.

Q. What were you doing when Miss Emma Borden came?
A. I was tidying up the room.

Q. Doing what?
A. Cleaning up the room, helping to tidy up the room.

Q. Were you in the same room with them after Miss Emma Borden (Page 1214 / i235)
came?
A. Yes, sir.

Q. Now will you go on and describe in your own way what occurred after Miss Emma came, the time that elapsed, and all that was said and done?
A. Miss Emma Borden came to my room about twenty minutes to nine on the 24th day of August, and I let her in and she spoke to her sister Lizzie, and I left the two women talking together and I went into a toilet room about four feet from where Miss Lizzie Borden was lying on a couch, and I heard very loud talk, and I came to my door and it was Miss Lizzie Borden; she was lying on her left side and her sister Emma was talking to her and bending right over her, and Lizzie says, "Emma, you have gave me away, haven't you?"' She says, "No, Lizzie, I have not." "You have," she says, "and I will let you see I won't give in one inch," and she sat right up and put up her finger, and I stood in the doorway looking at both of them.

Q. Was Miss Borden's tone loud or low?
A. I could not hear what Miss Emma said only "I did not, Lizzie," "I did not give you away, Lizzie." She says, "you have."

Q. Now what was the tone of Miss Lizzie Borden's voice?
A. Well, I am speaking kind of loud now and she spoke just as loud as I am talking.

Q. Was it louder or less loud than Miss Emma's voice?
A. Louder, some.

Q. What occurred then?
A. Lizzie Borden lay right down on the couch on her left side and faced out the window and closed her eyes, and Miss Emma got a chair, I gave her a chair, and she sat right down beside her sister, and that was in the forenoon, I should say then after nine o'clock.

Q. How long did they continue to sit together?
A. They sat there till Mr. Jennings came to my door, somewheres about eleven o'clock, or after eleven o'clock.

Q. During the time that the two sisters sat that way did Miss Lizzie speak to her sister at all?
A. No sir, not anymore that forenoon.

Q. Did she turn her face to her in any way?
A. No, sir, she did not.

Q. Then Mr. Jennings came.
A. Mr. Jennings came somewhere after eleven o'clock.

Q. When he came did you remain in the room or retire?
A. No, sir, Mr. Jennings said he wanted to talk with Miss Lizzie Borden and---

Q. You did not remain in the room?
A. No, sir.

Q. You say you were in this closet four feet away when you heard the noise first, the loud tones?
A. Yes, sir.

Q. Did you step in the room or remain in the closet?
A. No, sir, I came right to the door, the same as I am standing here now, and the two Miss Bordens were as far from me as the head of the trunk there. (Indicating trunk in front of witness).

Q. When were you first in a position where they could see you?
A. When standing in the door way.

Q. When was that in reference to the time that Miss Lizzie turned to lay on the couch?
A. Emma was standing over her when I went to the door. It was Miss Lizzie's loud talk that fetched me just where I was standing.

Q. Did you see Miss Emma when she departed from her sister that morning?
A. Yes, sir.

Q. Was there anything said between them?
A. No, sir.

Q. Any "good bye", or anything said of that kind?
A. No, sir, she never spoke to her sister anymore that forenoon.

Q. Did you see them looking at you at any time while this conversation you have described was going on?
A. Both of them see me. They turned right,---there, I suppose I was standing there (illustrating) Lizzie lay this way and her sister was standing right beside her.

MR. JENNINGS. Would your Honors like me to begin the cross examination now?
MASON, C. J. Something can be done.

CROSS-EXAMINATION.

Q. (By Mr. Jennings.) How long did Miss Emma remain that morning in the room?
A. She remained, sir, from twenty minutes of nine o'clock until you came to the door.

Q. And where did she go then?
A. She went right home, I suppose. She went out of the room and down stairs, and you asked when she was going out, "Have you told all to Lizzie?" and she says, "Yes, all I had to tell." That was the words you said to her when she was going out.

Q. I said that?
A. Yes, sir; you did. I was standing right beside you when you said it.

Q. Well, what happened after that?
[Her next answer is to Mr. Jennings about Mr. Jennings-KK]
A. Mr. Jennings went into the room and stayed there until half past twelve o'clock, and he came out and said he was all through and I could go in, and I went in.

Q. All through?
A. With Lizzie.

Q. I was all through?
A. Yes, sir.

Q. Did Miss Emma come again that day?
A. In the afternoon, sir.

Q. What time did she come in the afternoon?
A. I never kept the time of when she came. She came at all hours of the day.

Q. How came you to keep the time she came in the morning?
A. Well, I was cleaning up that morning, and it was rather early.

Q. You say she came at just twenty minutes of nine that morning, and now when I ask you what time she came in the afternoon you say you didn't keep the time?
A. Well, in the forenoon I kept more time than I did in the afternoon, because the court was going to come in, and I always had to be ready, and did my work early.

Q. Can you give us any idea of what time she came in the afternoon?
A. No, sir; I cannot.

Q. Did anybody else come in the afternoon?
A. Let me see. Why, yes, there was lots of visitors came in the afternoon.

Q. Who were they?
A. Mr. Buck came in the afternoon.

Q. Are you sure he came that same afternoon?
A. Well, I know we had visitors that afternoon and I think Mr. Buck came.

Q. Well, how sure are you of that?
A. Well, he came every day. There wasn't a day while Miss Borden was there that he hadn't come to the central police station.

Q. How do you know he didn't come in the morning?
A. No, he didn't come that time in the morning.

Q. Are you sure he came in the afternoon?
A. I couldn't say about it.

Q. Have you any recollection about it?
A. No, I was taken away with this trouble so much that it upset me, Mr. Jennings.

Q. You were so taken up with this trouble that happened in the morning that you cannot recall what took place in the afternoon?
A. Well, if I had kept a record of that, I could let you know everything about it.

Q. No, answer my question. Is that what you mean to say, that you were so taken up with this trouble that happened in the morning that you cannot recollect what happened in the afternoon?
A. Yes, I think Mr. Buck came there in the afternoon.

……………………

AFTERNOON SESSION CROSS-EXAMINATION OF HANNAH REAGAN, Continued. [by Jennings]

………….
Q. Now I will ask you, was Mrs. Charles J. Holmes there in the afternoon?
A. I don't remember, sir.

Q. Was Miss Annie Holmes there in the afternoon?

Q. Was Mrs. Brigham there in the afternoon?
A. I don't remember.

Q. Will you say they were not?

Q. Can you tell us anything that you recollect about that day except what you have already related?
A. No, sir, only that Miss Borden looked more excited---

Q. Never mind. ---What is that?
A. Only that Miss Borden was more excited when you left the room than she was before you came into it.
…………………………….
Q. Was the story of the quarrel published the next morning in the paper?
A. I don't know, sir. I didn't see it.

Q. Did you hear of it?
A. No, sir. Yes, I heard of it through Mr. Buck.

Q. No, before that.
A. No, sir, I didn't.

Q. Didn't hear of it before that?
A. No, sir. I didn't hear of it on the 24th.

Q. No, before Mr. Buck spoke to you about it?
A. Oh, yes. I heard rumors of it.

Q. Weren't you asked about it by reporters?
A. Yes, sir.

Q. Weren't you asked whether or not there was any truth in it?
A. I didn't tell them, sir, whether there was any truth in it or not.

Q. Weren't you asked whether there was any truth in the story about the quarrel between the two sisters?
A. Yes, sir, by the reporter, I was.

Q. Soon afterwards, weren't you?
A. Right away that afternoon, sir.

Q. And the next morning?
A. No, sir, not the next morning.

Q. And that evening?
A. Yes, sir, the next morning I was, but that afternoon I was asked by the reporter, and I gave it to the reporter.

Q. And the next evening and that evening?
A. Yes, sir, and asked up until now about it.

Q. Did you tell any of them that there wasn't anything to it, nothing in it?
A. No, sir, I didn't.

Q. Did you tell any reporter that it was all a lie?
A. No, sir, I didn't.

Q. That there was not a word of truth in it?
A. No, sir, I didn't.

Q. To no reporter?
A. No, sir.

Q. Did Mr. Buck come to you in the court room and ask you about it?
A. No, sir. Mr. Buck never spoke to me in the court room.

Q. Didn't Mr. Buck speak to you in the court room about it?
A. No, sir, he did not.

Q. Where did he speak to you about it?
A. In my room.

Q. Didn't you tell him that it wasn't true?
A. No, sir, I didn't.

Q. Did you ever speak to Mrs. Holmes about it?
A. No, sir.

Q. Did you ever talk with her about it at all?
A. No, sir.

Q. Never said a word to her about it?
A. No, sir, I didn't.

Q. Subsequent to that was a paper drawn up for you to sign?
A. Yes, sir.

Q. In relation to this story?
A. Yes, sir.

Q. Was it read to you?
A. Yes, sir.

Q. Can you tell us what it was?
A. No, sir, I can't.

Q. Can you tell us anything that was in it at all?
A. No, sir.

Q. Wasn't it two or three days after this alleged quarrel took place?
A. Yes, sir, some time after it, but I couldn't tell you how long.

Q. Wasn't it at the close of one of the days of the hearing, of the trial?
A. Yes, it was in the evening.

Q. Who brought it to you?
A. Mr. Buck.

Q. And you say you can't recall any part of it?
A. No, sir.

Q. Will you listen to this and see if this sounds anything like it:

"This is to certify that my attention has been called to a report said to have been made by me in regard to a quarrel between Lizzie and her sister Emma, in which Lizzie said to Emma, 'You have given me away,' etc., and that I expressly and positively deny that any such conversation took place, and I further deny that I ever heard anything that could be construed as a quarrel between the two sisters."

Does that sound anything like it?
A. No, sir. I don't remember one word that Mr. Buck said to me that evening.

Q. Will you say that that was not the substance of the paper that was presented to you?
A. I couldn't tell you, sir.

Q. Will you say that it was not?
A. I couldn't tell you, sir.

Q. Can you recollect at all whether it was or not?
A. No, sir.

Q. Did he read it to you?
A. He read it in the entry-way, and I think there was about fifty or sixty men standing around, and I couldn't tell him one word, nor I didn't understand one word that Mr. Buck said to me, but if you will let me, I will explain it to you.

Q. No, I will ask you questions and then you can explain afterwards, if it is proper. Did you then express willingness to sign it if Marshal Hilliard was willing that you should?
A. No, sir.

……………………..
A. No, sir, Miss Borden was in court when Mr. Buck came in with this paper.

Q. Was anyone with you when Mr. Buck came in with the paper?
A. No, sir.

Q. Did anyone come in with him at that time?
A. No, sir, not into my room.

Q. Did you see whether it was a typewritten paper or written out in common handwriting?
A. I never see the paper,---never see the paper.

Q. Just say what he said to you when he brought the paper?
A. The Court was going on in the afternoon and Mr. Buck came in and said, "Mrs. Reagan, there is a report going round," he says, "that there has been trouble between Miss Emma Borden and her sister." I said, "where did you hear it?" He says, "it has come from the papers." I said, "you can't believe all you read in the paper." He went away and came back again and called me out of my room on to the landing and all the reporters were standing there and he turned round and he says, "Mrs. Reagan, I want you to sign this paper." Said I, "for what, sir?" He says, "if you will sign this paper it will make everything all right between Miss Lizzie Borden and her sister." I said, "will you give me that paper and I will take it to Marshal Hilliard?" He says, "no, I can't give it to you, but I will go down stairs with you," and I went down stairs with him.

Q. Now tell us all that was said or done in the Marshal's office.
A. Mr. Buck went in and showed this paper to Marshal Hilliard, and I stood outside the rail. Marshal Hilliard said, "you go to your room and I will attend to this business; and you, Mr. Buck, attend to yours."

Q. Anything else said?
A. Not as I can remember.

Q. Anything about court?
A. If I had anything to say, I should say it in the Court.

…………………..
Q. Didn't I [Jennings] come in afterwards and say to Marshal Hilliard, "I understand that this
woman is willing to sign this paper, unless you object?"
A. I don't remember what you said.

Q. Was it not then, Mrs. Reagan, that he said that your story, whatever story you had to tell, you would tell in Court,---when I said that to him?
A. I don't remember seeing you. You might have been there among the folks, but I don't remember seeing you there with Marshal Hilliard.

Q. Didn't he say that whatever story you had to tell, you would tell in Court?
A. I don't remember about you being there.

Q. Didn't you hear me tell him that if he refused to let you sign that paper, I would publish him to the world?
A. No, sir.

—One can read the full testimony in the trial source document. It sounded like she did not like Jennings for the defense, she was only 44, and married- but if I was her boss, I would have fired her.
Kat

“Happy" Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

Dates
Kat

"Happy" Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

I never could decide if this really happened: that Lizzie said what they reported. Anyone can check testimony of Mrs Holmes to see if she confirmed anything.

I remember that Jennings had a meeting with Emma at Second Street in the morning, probably preparing his case for the start of the proceedings the next day. And then Jennings visited Lizzie, to review what Emma said, then when Emma got to the cell to spend time with her sister, Lizzie got upset at her for what she told Jennings. I would think that would be exactly something Jennings would do, so they all 3 could be on the same page, no surprises.

I also recall that Lizzie’s “Troops” who were her constant visitors (Holmes, Brigham, Buck), all pretty much rushed to the jail to calm things down. So there was some scene of some kind.
Kat

"Happy"Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

The 25th of August 1892: Preliminary Hearing starts, but in the morning..sisters reunite

Aug 25
Fall River Globe

(con’t)

THE SISTERS MEET.

Emma Comes To the Station Early and

Talks With Lizzie.

Just before 9 o'clock a hack with drawn curtains drove up to the public entrance to the court.

The spectators lining each sidewalk made a frantic rush to the door and for a moment or two they overcame the resistance of the officers and filled doorway as well as sidewalk and made locomotion impossible.

Marshal Hilliard appeared in the door, waved his arms and the police charged and pushed the crowd on the run, back to the sidewalk. The door of the car was opened and Emma Borden, the faithful sister, got out and went up stairs.

She entered the matron's room where she found Lizzie sitting in a rocker by one of the north windows. Emma went up at once and stooped over to kiss her sister, but met with no answering response. Lizzie greeted her with a cordial hand grasp, and at once commenced talking on matters probably of mutual interest.

Lizzie was calm and collected and in this she presented a marked contrast to her tearful sister. After a short personal conversation the talk became general, others present joining in till the time came for the summons to the court room.
Kat

“Happy"Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

Dr. Dolan is first on the stand.
Kat

"Happy" Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

End of Preliminary Hearing September 1, 1892, Fall River
Kat

“Happy"Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

Lizzie stands to be judged
Kat

“Happy"Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

Judge Blaisdell: “The long examination is now concluded, and there remains but for the magistrate to perform what he believes to be his duty. It would be a pleasure for him, and he would doubtless receive much sympathy if he could say ‘Lizzie, I judge you probably not guilty. You may go home.’ But upon the character of the evidence presented through the witnesses who have been so closely and thoroughly examined, there is but one thing to be done. Suppose for a single moment a man was standing there. He was found close by that guest chamber which, to Mrs. Borden, was a chamber of death. Suppose a man had been found in the vicinity of Mr. Borden; was the first to find the body, and the only account he could give of himself was the unreasonable one that he was out in the barn looking for sinkers; then he was out in the yard; then he was out for something else; would there be any question in the minds of men what should be done with such a man?
“So there is only one thing to do, painful as it may be—the judgment of the Court is that you are probably guilty, and you are ordered committed to await the action of the Superior Court.”

End of Day 7 and the Preliminary Hearing.
Kat

“Happy” Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

Goodbye Lizzie Borden

September 2, 1892
Fall River Globe
TAKEN TO JAIL.

Lizzie Left For Taunton On the
Early Afternoon Train.

Lizzie Borden was taken from the central station this afternoon about 1:15 o'clock. She was accompanied by Rev. Mr. Buck, Marshal Hilliard and Detective Seaver. The party was driven slowly to the Fall River depot to consume the time before the arrival of the 1:29 train for Taunton.
There was a large crowd around the cochere and the services of Officers Mullally, Devine, Brayley and others were needed in keeping curious sightseers from blocking the passage way. A half-dozen reporters were in waiting. Lizzie walked through the ladies room to the train which had rolled in, "just as if she was the finest lady in the land" as one strong minded woman expressed it.
There was a delay of a few seconds to allow other passengers a chance to step from the train but Lizzie Borden showed no signs of having even the smallest nerve every human being is presumably supplied with.
She entered the car at the rear of the smoker, and sat at the east side in a seat with Mr. Buck. Just as she was about to compose herself, and while the detective and marshal were crowding into the seat in the rear, Rev. Mr. Jubb hustled up to her and shook her hand warmly. A few seconds more and she passed out of sight on her way toward Taunton Jail.
Last edited by Kat on Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kat

"Happy" Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

(Edit-
Saved Space… a little out of order.)
————————————————
FRGlobe
A BOND OF $50,000.

Emma J. Borden Appointed Administratrix
Of The Borden estate.

TAUNTON, Mass., Sept. 2 - In the probate court today Emma J. Borden was appointed administratrix of the estate of Andrew J. Borden with bond of $50,000. Her sureties are Frank L. Almy, Joseph A. Bowen of Fall River, and Frank S. Stevens of Swansea.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Fall River Daily Globe, Saturday, September 3, 1892, 2

In Her Old Quarters.

Lizzie Borden arrived at Taunton with out having done anything unusual or noticeable. There was a large crowd at the depot, mostly women. The prisoner was taken in a closed hack to the jail and locked up in her old quarters.
Last edited by Kat on Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Kat, these illustrated re-plays of each phase of Lizzie’s adjudication have been terrific! They bring back the details to one’s mind, and the drawings bring them alive. By keying into today’s dates in our current year, I can get a real-time sense of the events. Lizzie’s trial next June is feeling a long way away!
Kat

"Happy" Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

Thanks! And the legal timeline, notice, is only off by one day this year!
Actually, I left out the consignment, next, to the grand jury in November-December.
We can check news for further developments, like the bonding of Morse and Sullivan.
Maybe camgarsky can tell us where Bridget has been staying thru these proceedings.
I'm also looking for the new Second Street housekeepers name :peanut16:
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Ah, that’s right…just by one day.
Bridget was at her cousin, Patrick’s, was she not? And then, working at the jail? But I don’t have the dates to hand…
Kat

“Happy"Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

Well, I have this picture saved but don’t know whose house it is.
camgarsky mentioned having notes on Bridget’s whereabouts that he would try to find.
She stayed across the street at Bowen’s or Millers right after the murders, then stayed somewhere else ( maybe the house pictured), eventually staying at a jail- which jail- after bonding.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

I used to have a pretty chromed out conspiracy theory with Bridget at the center of it and I sure seem to recall that I had her movements and locations nailed down from the day of murder until the trial. I've looked around a couple times with no luck so far. I have changed work laptops since then, so crossing fingers I saved somewhere.

I'll look more in next couple days.
Reasonwhy

Re: "Happy" Anniversary!

Post by Reasonwhy »

Kat wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:23 pm
Maybe camgarsky can tell us where Bridget has been staying thru these proceedings.
I'm also looking for the new Second Street housekeepers name :peanut16:
Kat, in the 2008 forum thread,”IT IS HERE,” you post that “Mrs. Barker” is the new housekeeper, and that that name comes from a newspaper story. You also mention that Bridget worked at the Taunton jail. Hope that helps…
Kat

"Happy" Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

Oh good, thanks, on the housekeeper.
Will still want particulars on Bridget, tho, thanks!
Added Lizzie’s *ride*/ hack, above.

The house where Bridget stayed looks like it has a storefront at sidewalk level? Did Harrington’s house have that? I guess City Directory search would be appropriate, for that.

The Fall River Globe stated that the day of the postponement of the Preliminary Hearing Knowlton as prosecutor asked the judge to set bond of $500 on each of John V. Morse and Bridget Sullivan. It was agreed. I think that is when Bridget Sullivan went to work at the jail in lieu of paying bond, which she probably couldn’t afford.
Still checking.
Kat

"Happy" Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

Oh and I have another question:
Wouldn’t Emma, as eldest, single, living descendant of Andrew J. Borden, be heir to his whole estate?
Kat

"Happy"Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

PossumPie
(Forum Topic:)
…………..
Re: Bridget
Post by PossumPie » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:06
"Bridget left the Borden home shortly after the murders to stay with her cousin, Patrick Harrington, at 95 Division Street in Fall River. Later, she was hired by Josiah A. Hunt (see Profile), the jail keeper at the Bristol County House of Correction in New Bedford. Bridget remained with the Hunt family until the Borden trial was over" (Rebello, 1999.)

—edit here to add: citation from Rebello, page 65.

—Patrick Harrington does not seem directly related to our policeman Philip Harrington,
who lived at ​Eight Rod Way Corner of Buffinton​ in 1891. So that house we see in the newspaper may be 95 Division Street.
Kat

“Happy" Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

Reasonwhy wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:09 am
Kat wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:23 pm
-Partial

Kat, in the 2008 forum thread,”IT IS HERE,” you post that “Mrs. Barker” is the new housekeeper, and that that name comes from a newspaper story. You also mention that Bridget worked at the Taunton jail. Hope that helps…
May I please ask the date or link to the topic you mention? It is hard to search the Forum using the term *It Is Here*. (Underline is mine) I’d like to go there. Thanks!
Kat

"Happy' Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

Please see Thread "IT IS HERE" where we don't find Bridget working at Taunton Jail while on bond- Thanks!:detective:
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Kat, as I wrote on the “IT IS HERE” thread, I can’t now find the location where I thought you had said Bridget had worked at the Taunton jail. I apologize for my post :oops:
Kat

"Happy"Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

It’s a typo, no problem🐱