"Happy" Murder Day Anniversary!

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

camgarsky4

"Happy" Murder Day Anniversary!

Post by camgarsky4 »

:grin:
WFordII

Re: "Happy" Murder Day Anniversary!

Post by WFordII »

Yep. I had a moment of silence in respect for Andrew and Abby Borden. It's pitiful that the law couldn't (or wouldn't) do more to find the fiend who murdered them. It makes me even angrier to see how unjustly slandered and libled the senior couple have been. It's almost as if future generations had to paint them as monsters and that their heinous murders were justified.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Yes, we here have been dedicated to hopefully finding a fair footing and giving many different theories serious attention. None of these folks can defend themselves, and there certainly has been no Justice for these victims. Cold cases are as deserving to be solved, as those still fresh in the media.

[Just wondering tho, if the $5000 reward is still active?]

(Edit here: reward was $5000 not $500 as I originally posted- sorry, anyone who repeated that error…)
Last edited by Kat on Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
WFordII

Post by WFordII »

I think the only way we could maybe solve the case is if new evidence would arise, such as a written confession or a letter from a verified eyewitness. It would need to be painstakingly authenticated by experts. Unless it was a letter written by Lizzie herself, there are still chances of it being hear
say. I doubt anything like that will ever happen. Until then, all we can do is continue to take the primary sources and make logical speculations. Hey, that $500 may still be good. Who knows? I just get frustrated when I keep seeing AJB and ADB's characters cruelly misaligned as if they deserved to be murdered.
Kat

Post by Kat »

When you mentioned a letter by Lizzie herself, it reminded me:
We, as a group, tried to petition the remainder of Robinson’s law practice for any files he had on Lizzie Borden. Their response was “privilege,” and told us there was “no smoking gun.”
Our stance was how can they know what a smoking gun looks like in this case if they had not studied it. So, yes, there is probably still a primary source to be investigated.
Even A.S.Phillips, (who worked with Jennings), in 1939, when he was gathering all he could on the case before publishing his History of Fall River, sent a letter to Robinson’s son,“Honans Robinson” asking for details.
We don’t know the outcome, but here is that plea:
Plz clic on pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Speaking of smoking guns or confession letters.

I think I have Lizzie's confession... somewhat.

In my library I have a novel dated 1908, by Mary Roberts Reinhart. it is called, The Circular Staircase.

This is not just any old book but my copy comes from Lizzie's personal library. It once belonged to Lizzie and is signed by her. (L.A.B)

Now Lizzie was in the habit of penciling passages or underlining or highlighting sentences in her books, etc. as she read.

In this volume Lizzie confesses to the murders. (at least that is how I see it, or as close as it comes.)

There is a passage which she pencils or highlights in her own hand. Giving a confession? At least that is how I see it. Brings me goosebumps every time I read it.

She penciled out this passage:

"But being an unmarried woman, (which Lizzie was) with the handicap of my sex, my first acquaintance with crime will probably be my last. Indeed, but came near enough to being my last acquaintance with anything."

Now, why would she pencil and highlight this passage? Heh?

:study:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

MB -- agree, hard to think of what is so compelling about that verse besides a potentially very personal connection.

By the way, that window silhouette looks a little like Alfred Hitchcock!! :shock: :wink:
Kat

Post by Kat »

So, somewhere in a file is a discovery document in the very handwriting of Lizzie Borden with her version of the events of August 4th, 1892, written at the request of her new defense lawyer, Robinson, who used to be the Governor of the State of Massachusetts. I think that’s something I’d really like to read, and had thought about it, off and on, for 13 years, since the 3 page letter came into our collection.
You wouldn’t really need much else!
:shock: :wink:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:scratch:

WHAT WAS THAT YOU SAY, KAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU :?:

:roll:
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Another set of documents that would be fascinating to read are the transcripts from the Grand Jury hearing in late 1892. Wonder if they still exist in some dusty box somewhere in the courthouse storage area.

I'm presuming that transcripts were taken down and kept.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Although grand juries are 🤫 secret, they do generate a report at the close of their term of service. I never thought of that as a question, before. I wonder….?
Kat

“Happy" Arrest Day Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

Today is the day! The sordid saga legally begins.

(Plz clic on pic for right side up)
Kat

"Happy" Arrest Day Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

Fake Foto
Kat

Post by Kat »

Arrest record
Plz clic on pic to make bigger
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Kat -- I haven't seen the police 'sign in' sheet before...is that kept at the FRHS? Is the giant asterisk next to Lizzie's name from 'back then' or is that something someone in more modern times has added?

What is the column header for the space that says "daughter of Andrew"?

Lastly, and a brilliantly insightful observation.....I don't see one person, male or female, that doesn't have a hat on in that drawing in front of the police station! :eek:
Kat

Post by Kat »

No
Yes, the latter
I don’t know
Oh! I didn’t notice that!

I was hoping that others on the Forum might be able to answer you.:wink:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Sorry, just fooling around…
The arrest record actually came from the police archive. It’s been floating around for so long, I apologize that I don’t remember the source. I believe Porter’s book may have a blurry photo of the crowd at the jail? I will check.
Kat

Post by Kat »

BTW: I sometimes type in “Bold” because it’s easier for me to see and read. The font color settings for the Forum on my devices are kinda light.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Fall River Tragedy, History of the Borden Murders, Illustrated by Edwin H. Porter, 1893, King Philip Publishing Co., Portland, Maine, 1985, by Robert Flynn.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Headlines

The Fall River Daily Globe, Thursday, August 11, 1892, 1+

IN SUSPENSE.

An Arrest Likely At Any
Moment.

The Testimony Given At The
Inquest.

Changes In The Story Of
Bridget Sullivan.

Lizzie Borden Sticks To Her
Original Tale.

Doctors Discover A New Wound in
Mrs. Borden's Body.

Kat

Happy "Arrest' Day Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

(Fall River Globe from Aug12, 1893) (The Complaint recorded after Inquest):

On Which Lizzie Borden Was Placed in
Custody Last Night.

Commonwealth of Massachusetts. To Augustus B. Leonard, clerk of the Second District Court of Bristol, in the county Bristol, and Justice of the peace within and for the county of Bristol, Rufus B. Hilliard, City Marshal of Fall River, on behalf of said Commonwealth, on oath, complains that Lizzie A. Borden of Fall River, in the county of Bristol, at Fall River aforesaid, in the county aforesaid, on the fourth day of August, in the year of our Lord 1892, in and upon one Andrew J. Borden, feloniously, willfully and of her malice aforethought, did make an assault; and that the said Lizzie A. Borden then and there with a certain weapon, to wit, a certain hatchet, the said Andrew J. Borden in and upon the head of the said Andrew J. Borden there and then feloniously, willfully and of her malice aforethought did strike, giving unto the said Andrew J. Borden then and there, with the hatchet aforesaid, by the strike aforesaid in the manner aforesaid, in and upon the head of the said Andrew J. Borden, one mortal wound; of which said mortal wound the said Andrew J. Borden then and there instantly died. And so the complainant aforesaid, upon his oath aforesaid, further complains and says that the said Lizzie A. Borden, the said Andrew J. Borden, in manner and form aforesaid, then and there feloniously, willfully and of her own malice aforethought did kill and murder.
(Signed) R. B. HILLIARD.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Complaint Document
Plz clic to open on separate screen
Kat

"Happy" Day After Arrest Day Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

Lizzie goes to Taunton, today. Fake Foto. I don’t think it gets any bigger
Last edited by Kat on Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kat

“Happy" Day After Arrest Day Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

Thank you for opening this topic, camgarsky! It’s very versatile :study:
Kat

"Happy" First Day in Jail Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

From Stef- found in my copy of Masterton :wink:
You can clic on pic if you like
Kat

"Happy" Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

Lizzie goes to jail in Taunton
Image 8-12-23 at 4.35 AM.jpeg
Kat

Post by Kat »

camgarsky4 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:24 am Kat -- I haven't seen the police 'sign in' sheet before...is that kept at the FRHS? Is the giant asterisk next to Lizzie's name from 'back then' or is that something someone in more modern times has added?

What is the column header for the space that says "daughter of Andrew"?

Lastly, and a brilliantly insightful observation.....I don't see one person, male or female, that doesn't have a hat on in that drawing in front of the police station! :eek:
I looked online to see the original and the star is actually in red, but the top is cut off as to headers.(We can tell you’re a newspaperman). I believe that might have been added later, and it looks like someone went over it several times making it bolder- and also notice the underlining. I don’t think the original booking had that. I did find an arrest record sheet for “Jail” 1893, and it shows first “Descriptive Record of Prisoners Arrested” and then it has headers for:
Date
Name
Height
“Marks” (looks like?)
Complexion
Hair
Eyes
—and then the page is folded and can’t read anymore.

But examining Lizzie’s arrest record more closely it didn’t seem as if they were using that column you noticed in the way it was intended.
On some of the other arrestees it almost looks like it’s recording where they were arrested(?)
It’s an interesting question - it would be a guess on my part. Any guesses here?

BTW just now found a place in my IPad where it makes the type bolder for me to read, so won’t have to do that [-b -] thing anymore!
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

You're correct, most of the notes in that column are addresses or what appear to be the persons weight. A couple, like Lizzie's, have brief random comments. Appears that column evolved into a catch all place to put comments that didn't fit into another column.

Do you think the Porter photo above is actually of Lizzie arriving at the station? If yes, do you know if anyone has identified which blurry head is hers?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Good to have feedback on that arrest book, thanks!
Yes I agree that they look like they got into a habit of recording random comments there.
I do think at least one of the pictures is Lizzie’s arrival, because of the crowds. The jail was kind of a dead end street, and not much around it.
Last edited by Kat on Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kat

Post by Kat »

It’s the 13th now, and I’m a little late (she was “received” on the 12th) but here is the paste of the newspaper of what Lizzie’s living conditions will be like in the women’s section of the jail:

Fall River Globe
Aug 13, 1892
[Taunton jail]

……One of the most touching scenes in the day's doings occurred when Lizzie entered Taunton jail, a prisoner. She was received by Sheriff Wright and his wife the latter of whom is the matron of the institution. Mrs. Wright is a pleasant faced elderly woman.

She has snow white hair, a rare complexion and a motherly appearance that would cause a frightened woman to take to her at once. She was visibly overcome when Lizzie entered on the arm of Rev. E. A. Buck, with Marshal Hilliard, Detective Seaver, Sheriff Wright and assistant keeper Granville Carrier surrounding and following her.

Mrs. Wright has a daughter about Lizzie's age and the two girls were well acquainted in their early life. Great tears sparkled behind gold-rimmed glasses as Mrs. Wright recalled her early life and acquaintances here and for the first time since the awful tragedy it seemed as if Lizzie Borden could get some motherly sympathy and guidance.

Mr. Wright is a man under medium height and now about 60 years old. His hair is very gray and his beard nearly white. In the course of a conversation he said:

"Miss Borden, the Prisoner,
for whom I have just acknowledged the receipt, will be confined in a cell on the south side of the jail, in what is known as the women's ward. It contains 10 cells, six of which will be occupied when she is locked up. The other offenders or women who are serving time for minor offences. The ward is supervised by my wife who keeps an eye upon all the inmates. If Miss Borden continues to be sick she will be treated by the jail physician, but if she desires outside advice her regular physician will be admitted to see her.

"She will be used precisely like the other inmates, and will be obliged in every way to conform to the rules of the institution. Therefore, at the present time, having been committed, she will have to take a bath before being allowed to enter a cell. I imagine she is now undergoing that rule, and it is safe to say by 5 o'clock she will be locked up. The number of the cell she will occupy I cannot give, because there is none. It is situated midway in the tier, and is well ventilated and well lighted. She will have supper tonight with the other inmates at 5:30. It will consist of tea and bread. Her breakfasts will be bread and coffee and her dinners corned beef twice a week, corned beef hash twice, soup twice and codfish and potatoes the remaining day. I have no doubt any luxuries furnished her will be admitted.

"She will see her attorney, her physician and her sister at proper intervals, and such other persons as may be designated. Breakfast in this institution is served at 7 o'clock, dinner at 11:30 and supper at 5:30 as I have previously stated. Miss Borden will not be allowed to leave her cell except once a day, when, in company with the other prisoners, she will proceed to the basement to empty the bucket in her cell. That will give her less than 10 minutes of exercise. I know the confinement is tedious, but the rules of the jail are made to be enforced."
Kat

Post by Kat »

Again, sorry a little late, might cause confusion, but this is the Power of Attorney Lizzie signed on the 12th, so Emma could handle the estate.

That page needs deciphering…

Plz clic on pic to make bigger
Kat

Post by Kat »

camgarsky4 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:05 pm You're correct, most of the notes in that column are addresses or what appear to be the persons weight. A couple, like Lizzie's, have brief random comments. Appears that column evolved into a catch all place to put comments that didn't fit into another column.

Do you think the Porter photo above is actually of Lizzie arriving at the station? If yes, do you know if anyone has identified which blurry head is hers?
You’ve got me chuckling…
Here’s a look at the old police station and jail and you can see the bottleneck area it’s in.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

I like this daily chronology of events. It gets me to go back and reread stuff I pretty much ignore.

Fall River - Taunton - New Bedford form an imperfect triangle in Bristol County.
Fall River to Taunton is ~17 miles north; Taunton to New Bedford is ~23 miles southeast and New Bedford to Fall River is ~14 miles west.

The Taunton jail rules were pretty tight.....10 minutes a day for exercise, which was basically hauling your 'bucket' down to the cellar, dumping it and taking back to the cell. To make up the remaining time, I presume they walked and loitered in the basement. In my minds eye, Lizzie kept to herself whenever there was a mixing with the other inmates.

I'm going to dig around and find what I can on Lizzie's meals....I imagine she didn't satisfy herself with what the jail offered free of charge.
I think I recall Morse delivered "Emma prepared" meals, but can't imagine he went up to Taunton every day, so need to refresh my memory.
WFordII

Post by WFordII »

I believe I read that she had her meals catered by one of her favorite restaurants. I believe Lizzie's jail stay was no more abhorrent than Martha Stewart's time in prison.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I think you’re both right, and the rules were relaxed for her eventually- we would need newspapers now for that kind of detail.

The legal time line is easier to deal with, now we’ve got her pinned down to one place.😉
Kat

Post by Kat »

Can someone decipher the handwritten words on this POA plz?
And I’m noticing it’s dated the 12th, which means Jennings and Emma would have had to meet with Lizzie in person at the Taunton jail.
Emma may also have brought Lizzie a suitcase of things she needed, possibly?
And BTW: the bodies have not been buried yet! :shock:
(Am including partial document) plz clic on pic
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

I was able to read about 70% of the handwritten words.

Seems to mostly give Emma the authority to collect rents and lease any of her properties or properties of Andrew J. Borden. And to take care of these properties.

As soon as I can convince one of my kids, I'll get one of them type the words as I read them. It is WAYYYY easier to transcribe these handwritten docs that way.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Oh good! Stef and I and Harry used to work that way when figuring out difficult handwriting.

another BTW:
This is another view of the crowd at the local jail
that I found: Evening Standard, Aug 13, 1892.
(I guess it took until the 13th to render the photo into a drawing and then printing it. This would have been on Aug 12.) plz clic on pic
Kat

Post by Kat »

Found our newspapers in my computer finally!
Boston Globe cast of characters
You can clic on pic to make bigger
Kat

Post by Kat »

Foul Murder!
Cliconpic
Kat

Post by Kat »

Abbie in her heyday
WFordII

Post by WFordII »

Oh! I have never seen any other pictures of Abby! Thank you!
Kat

"Happy" Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

Yes, in this thread I am hoping to share! That’s why I thanked camgarsky for starting such a flexible topic.

Today, for Aug 14, I found newspaper info on Lizzie’s first 3 days at Taunton, and yes, dinner was delivered!

Sunday, Aug 14

Fall River Herald
The Lizzie Borden Sourcebook
A Talk with Matron Wright.

"Miss Borden," said Matron Wright of the Taunton jail, "is remarkably calm and self-contained, even cheerful; today I allowed her to walk in the corridor after her sister came. They walked up and down for some time, talking, even conversing with one of the prisoners, who told her story, and for whom they expressed their sympathy. Miss Borden, despite her calm, did not sleep at all Friday night [12th], nor eat anything from the time she entered until noon Saturday [13th]; then she and her sister dined together, a nice dinner being sent over from the hotel, where we ordered it at their request.

"Believe her guilty?"

"No, I can't. I said so to her when she first came, and the only emotion she has shown came then. She looked up at me quickly, and said in a surprised way: "’Oh! you don't? Oh, Mrs. Wright!’ and she threw her arms about me, as if it was more than she could stand of relief to find any one who had not turned against her outside of her own sister and most intimate friends.

"It is my duty to look over whatever a woman committed here brings with her. Miss Borden had beside her clothes, a folding bag filled with books."

"What were they?"

"Her bible, her testament, and so on, everyone of them a religious work of some description. She has not felt like reading any yet, but it will help to make the time less long for her.” …..

……….

The rules of the prison say that no visitors shall be admitted on Sunday [Aug 14th, *today*]. So far as Lizzie Borden is concerned, these rules, says the sheriff, shall be adhered to on all other days, save with regard to her sister, her lawyer, her pastor and, if need be, her doctor. "I do not believe that the public has a right to know anything of this girl's life within these walls; when she gets up and when she lies down, and what she eats and drinks, and when she does either," says the sheriff. "She herself wishes not to be disturbed and I am not going to allow her to be disturbed. Nor shall I relate these petty incidents of her life here."

That the public, the right-thinking public, will commend the sheriff's stand in this regard there can be no question. Miss Borden has been made as comfortable in her quarters as is possible under the regulations. Mrs. Wright's sympathetic hand has changed the prison pillow and placed in its stead a soft one from her own bed, also a rocking chair and stool. Some bright bits of color and other things calculated to soften the abrupt contrast with the unhappy girl's own room in the desolated home at Fall River have found their way into the prison cell. Her friends may be reassured in the thought of this kindly woman's constant presence with her in the prison.

"Does not the fact that this prisoner has not been convicted of any crime as yet exempt her from the regulations that apply to others?"' was asked by the sheriff.

"She can buy what she wishes to eat and it will be brought to her, and have other little comforts that may be supplied to her; otherwise, there is no difference," he replied.

The prisoners in the Taunton jail are required to rise at 6 o'clock. Their breakfast of fish hash, bread and coffee is served at 7. On Sunday a dinner of meat, a few vegetables and water is served after 1 o'clock. Lizzie arose with the others at 6 o'clock and made her own bed. She had slept brokenly, but was still refreshed. She drank a cup of coffee and a mere bite of bread, but wanted nothing more until noon. A little after that hour an expressman brought a dinner from the bill of fare of the City hotel, some blocks away, made up of tempting dishes. Of this she partook quite heartily. She is reported not to have suffered a return of the nausea, which overtook her on the day of her arrest, and of which she stands in dread. She maintains that poise which has been the wonder of all since this tragedy and its mystery has turned so many eyes upon her.

“Happy" Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

I think the nausea might be due to her withdrawal from drugs.
And she is given special treatment, no mater how the Sheriff wants to depict it.
The worst part for Lizzie may be the withdrawal, and being made to get up so early! She’s more of a 9- 10 a.m. lady!
Kat

"Happy" Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

I believe Lizzie stayed in 3 jails, is that right?
One was Granite St police station jail, one was Taunton, and wasn’t she kept in a New Bedford jail during her trial, so they didn’t need to transport her every day?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Here are the rest of the cast of characters at lizzieandrewborden.com
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/cast-of-characters.htm
WFordII

Post by WFordII »

How interesting! Thank you, Kat!
Kat

Post by Kat »

I “found” the other picture of Abbie. These were taken probably upon her marriage to Andrew.
Kat

“Happy” Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

I’m trying to figure out for sure where Bridget has been. Anybody have that? There’s a newspaper picture I found that says where she’s been staying around Aug 12 or 13 or 14 but doesn’t say where it is! I think she was across the street at Bowen’s or Millers, until after the funeral, then went to her “cousin” Harrington? Then got bail and stayed at the jail? Can anyone help with this?
I think I remember Morse saying he went across to get her, during the day(s) after the murders.
Kat

“Happy” Anniversary!

Post by Kat »

Looking in my computer, found a pic of Sarah Borden- says it’s from a clip from TV.