Leonard Rebello's library.

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

mbhenty

Leonard Rebello's library.

Post by mbhenty »

:sad:

When the author of Lizzie Borden Past and Present, Leonard Rebello, passed away we inherited some of his books. One of the books was a Robinson Crusoe title. I have an extensive Robinson Crusoe Book Collection and found one Crusoe book that I knew Len would be interested in, so I gifted it to him.

As an occupation Len was a Speech-language pathologists. He was fascinated when I told him that during the late 19th century many books for children were written in one syllable accounts... that is, the entire story was told in one syllable words. So I gave him a copy of an 1882 Robinson Crusoe in words of one Syllable. He was enchanted by it.

Sadly it has returned to me once again. This time with extra meaning and sentiment.

Not an expensive book. I have a couple of Crusoe books told in one syllable words. Still it is a charming copy with chromolithograph colored illustrations. Inevitably it has returned to the shelf where it had sat for many years before having a short stay at the Rebello residence.

Just thought you would find it interesting. (click on photos to make large, or let your 10 year old show you how it's done. It's now I learned. :roll: )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Re: Leonard Rebello's library.

Post by Kat »

Thank you for the personal glimpse into Len Rebello- a very multifaceted guy.
Wouldn’t you know it would be through books!

Your collection is beautiful.
I can’t help noticing though, that the Title page is lots of words of more than one syllable :wink:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Thanks Kat.

You are right about the title page... including the word syllable which itself has three syllables. But if you read one of the pages I included in the photo you find that it is entirely written in one syllable words.

Here is a good portion of my Robinson Crusoe Collection. About half of them. They are all over the house. Different publications over a 200 year time period.

The other is an old photo of yours truly with Len in front of the Charles Trafton House, better known as the Borden house. Although I don't agree to leaving Mr. Trafton's name off the house since he was the one that had it built.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

So nice to see you both and I remember your book collection! :study:
Thank you for the pictures!