What is date 12 Ferry became Andrews again? july 15 or 18

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

camgarsky4

What is date 12 Ferry became Andrews again? july 15 or 18

Post by camgarsky4 »

Many years ago Kat noted in a thread that "Lizzie Borden: Past & Present" seems to provide contradictory information regarding the sale of 12 Ferry from the sisters to Andrew in the summer of 1892.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Below are the excerpts in question:
Lizzie Borden: Past and Present. Author Len Rebello
Note on page 28, where "Owners of the Ferry Street Home" names and dates are listed, there shows:
July 15, 1892 as the date of the change of ownership of the Ferry Street house.

page 556:
1892- July 18 Emma and Lizzie deeded 120.12 square rods to Andrew J. Borden on the south side of Ferry Street on which is located the old Borden home. ( Book 5: 219)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 15 or July 18...which is it?

After reading the 2 pages of the transaction (Book 5; pages 219-220), I see where both dates have a role in the transaction. The sisters signed the quick claim transferring ownership to Andrew on Friday July 15 (notarized by Charles C. Cook), but the county register (Nathan Chace ?)) received and recorded the transaction on Monday July 18.

I just googled Massachusetts real estate law, and not being a lawyer, my interpretation is that the property title does not legally change hands until recorded by the county register. So I would view July 18 as the actual date 12 Ferry became Andrew's property again.

If anyone knows real estate law better (which wouldn't take much), please correct me.
Kat

Re: What is date 12 Ferry became Andrews again? july 15 or 18

Post by Kat »

In the past we relied on Rebello for the deeds and mtg information in his section on Land Transactions.

Well, this is as good a place as any, and I’ve been waiting for Stef’s proof, but can now inform that that whole extended family of Bordens and Harringtons did not continuously live together at #12 Ferry Street. Also there were 3 addresses on Ferry Street, #11, #12 and #13. So both sides of the street were Borden property with houses, and family members moved in and out in a complicated flow.

I was very interested in her research and brainstormed with her over the phone to come to an understanding of the records she was investigating: I told her it was always assumed (and I also assumed) the family crowded together at 12 Ferry (which might have happened for a short while where records are sparse), but that as soon as she could determine the actual residents and timing, I would have to come back to the Forum and admit I was wrong, so as to clear that up for you’all.

Dr Stef has published on the FRHS website:

https://fallriverhistorical.org/online- ... ni-koorey/
camgarsky4

Re: What is date 12 Ferry became Andrews again? july 15 or 18

Post by camgarsky4 »

Wonderful research and article. I watched Stef's youtube video "Mondo Lizzie" when she reviewed this information, but I like the written version you've linked so I can read and reread certain sections.

Its these kind of 'real life' details that bring so much of this case and its people to life.