The Bordens and the Quequechan Club

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

camgarsky4

The Bordens and the Quequechan Club

Post by camgarsky4 »

Boy oh boy, it sure seems Andrew had great taste!

Source: Jennings Journals. Page 73.
Interview with William Bowers Moison Chace. Entry recorded by Arthur Phillips.
“Mr. AJB came to us when Mr. Wm. Mason died & wanted the first show at the Wm Mason estate if it came to market, said he was getting older – Then another time while walking by there he asked about it again & said he was getting old & wanted a nice place for his daughters.”

W.B.M Chace was a prominent realtor and financier in Fall River.

Accompanying the interview above, the Jennings Journals author/editor provides a biographical note identifying William Mason as a farmer in Warren, Rhode Island. I believe in this rare instance the editors identified the wrong William Mason.

I believe the William Mason referenced by W.B.M Chace was instead a big time Fall River businessman who died four months prior to the murders and owned an impressive estate at 110 North Main Street. Very near where Andrew would do his daily walks downtown.

William Mason, Fall River manufacturer, died in Fall River in 1892, at the age of 85 years, 7 months. All three Fall River newspapers published lengthy and glowing articles recognizing the passing of Mr. Mason.

The opening statement in the Fall River Daily Herald April 14, 1892 article…..
“(William Mason) started life as a cobbler in Swansey, engaged in the shoe business and made money as a manufacturer of soap and yarn – A Devoted Methodist.”

The 110 North Main Street property was sold in November, 1894, roughly two years after the Borden killings.

Source: Fall River Daily Herald November 24, 1894
The William Mason homestead on North Main Street was sold at auction at 1:30 o’clock today to F.O. Dodge for $19,750 by W.B.M Chace, auctioneer.

The property was so exquisite that F.O. Dodge wasn’t planning to live there….he had bigger plans.

The Fall River Daily Herald February 7, 1895 declares with a bold headline “The New Quequechan Club”.
Below the headline is a large drawing of the William Mason estate transformed into Fall River’s elite social club.

The building is still there today. If you want a look see, go to googlemaps.com; the address is 306 North Main Street. Use the ‘street view’ capability to get a frontal view of the William Mason homestead in 2023.

As most of you know, Fall River changed the numbering system for addresses. The 1895 Fall River City Directory lists the Mason home at 110 No. Main Street, while the 1896 Directory has the home located at 306 No. Main Street. They are one and the same building.

Andrew apparently had fine tastes and intentions, but, assuming her guilt, I bet he wishes his youngest daughter had shown a little more patience (a little taste of gallows humor).

A question and an observation:
If Lizzie knew of Andrew’s interest in the Mason estate, does that diminish the ‘greed’ motive?
If Lizzie didn’t know about his interest, sure tells us a lot about the Borden family dynamics

Depending on which of the above statements is ‘closest to the pin’, they help us navigate this case. If Andrew was looking for finer housing, but kept it to himself, that might tell us that he was EXTREMELY aware of his daughters strong discontent and had decided to do something positive to quell it. Perhaps by not acting quickly enough, he met his untimely demise.

Was there a direct correlation? That is up to each of us to determine for ourselves.

If anyone has illustration adding skills, it would be great if the drawing of the Mason/Club from the Feb 7, 1895 Daily Herald, page 4 and a ‘pic’ from googlemaps of the building today could be added to this thread.
Reasonwhy

Re: The Bordens and the Quequechan Club

Post by Reasonwhy »

You know, I have thought that even if Andrew moved them to nicer digs, it still would have galled had he plans to put a new place into Abby’s name, and therefore beyond the sisters’ control. Even if that was just their fear, any new place might therefore be too little to “solve” future dependency upon their despised stepmother.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Good point Reason.

I tend to think that Andrew wanted the extreme household tension to dissipate and was willing to do anything, including buying a more upscale home. But I think he kept his plans to himself because I think that was just his style....keeping his thoughts and considerations 'close to the vest' until others needed to know something.
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Well, but Emma testified that he was looking into purchasing another home…I think I remember her saying one house sale had fallen through. So sorry to be unable to check this for a while. I just found your research and the issue so interesting, Camgarsky, that I wanted to keep this discussion going!
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

I think you are correct about Emma's testimony. I just scrolled thru her trial and inquest testimony and didn't see it. Hopefully one of us can find that testimony and add to this thread.

So taking Emma's testimony at face value, then Andrew had let the sisters know that he 'heard their complaints' and was considering an upgrade. I suppose if Lizzie and Emma got the impression that they would be getting a house and some cash, but not the entire estate, they might still be unhappy and find that unacceptable.

I keep thinking back to how Lizzie checked with Charles C. Cook (per Cook's inquest testimony) on a couple occasions to make sure she was getting fair value from Andrew for his repurchase of 12 Ferry. A house he had given for FREE to Emma and Lizzie. On top of that, Andrew took care of all financial obligations of the household (that we know of). So why was Lizzie making sure she got 'market' value for 12 Ferry? Was it the money or was it the principal of the matter?

I tend to think it was the principal, Lizzie deserved what Lizzie felt was rightfully hers. Anything less might be unacceptable.
Kat

Post by Kat »

1913 postcard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Can clic on pic to make bigger
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

Love those postcards! The second set are from 1896, just one year after the Quequechan Club opened!

Lizzie would have looked good waving down from that second floor balcony! :wink:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Brought to you by camgarsky
can click on pic
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

Great images, Kat and Camgarsky. The club house outshines Maplecroft!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Reasonwhy wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:25 pm Well, but Emma testified that he was looking into purchasing another home…I think I remember her saying one house sale had fallen through. So sorry to be unable to check this for a while. I just found your research and the issue so interesting, Camgarsky, that I wanted to keep this discussion going!
Well, I remember something along those lines but after reading all Testimony of Emma at Inquest and Trial, the statement is not in any sworn legal venue. So not “Testimony.” It also is not part of The Witness Statements under any of the Index pages that refer to Emma.
And I don’t know what sources you use- could be newspapers- I don’t know if you use those?

I checked *Quequechan* in Rebello to see if any info was there about a default purchase, in leu of a sale that had *
fallen through* but nothing there either.

It may be referenced in Rebello- but do you have that when you’re home?
Reasonwhy

Post by Reasonwhy »

I do have Rebello, and will look through sources. Could it have been from her 1913 newspaper interview? And thanks for trying to find it, Kat!