Did Anna Morse Visit the Bordens Aug. 3?

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

CagneyBT

Did Anna Morse Visit the Bordens Aug. 3?

Post by CagneyBT »

Very interesting article I've never seen before. I'm very curious as to what everyone thinks.
AnnaMorseBordensThe_Minneapolis_Times_Fri__Sep_2__1892_.jpg

Abby was allegedly expecting company on the following Monday. Was Anna the expected guest?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
camgarsky4

Re: Did Anna Morse Visit the Bordens Aug. 3?

Post by camgarsky4 »

Good find and legit question. I dug around a little and found a story from the same paper (can't imagine Minneapolis had a Times and a Daily Times) on August 6th. They seem to have relationships a bit jumbled up, which might explain some of the comments attributed to Anna in the story you posted.

The Borden's visiting Minnesota and the Morse clan a couple of summers would be new info, but I suspect they just have some context incorrectly captured. Like they knew John was the brother of Mrs. Borden....just a different one that had died decades earlier.

click on to enable enlargement
Screenshot 2023-11-22 174523.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CagneyBT

Post by CagneyBT »

"No implements with which they could have committed suicide could be found, so they must have been murdered..." That made me LOL..the reporter was a regular Sherlock Holmes!

A few errors .. Morse identified as Abby's brother, John V as "John N" and "the servant girl, Lizzie."

Lots of misinformation floated around in the first few days after the murders.

Just a quick correction to my thread title ..the article reports that Anna said she saw & spoke to Andrew and Abby on Aug 3...maybe what was known as "a call" not a "visit. She may have stopped by for a quick hello to let them know she and her brother were in town.

Ok .stretching a bit here, but IF Abby did receive a note that someone was sick, could it have been in reference to Anna? Her illness was confirmed by both Morse, Mrs. Emery & Anna herself.
CagneyBT

Post by CagneyBT »

I also checked newspapers for any references to the Bordens ever visiting Minnetonka and came up empty.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

It is possible Anna and/or her brother stopped by the Borden's place in the days leading up to August 4th.

That might be how Andrew even knew they were in town. In the back of my mind, I've always wondered how and why Andrew would have had a clue who was or wasn't visiting the Emery's. I envision Andrews social circle to be 100% his business associates. That does not describe the Emery's.

That said, the Borden's felt quite poorly that Wednesday morning and John got to the Borden's early afternoon. But based on the articles other errors, perhaps the 'stop by' was earlier in the week when the Borden's would have taken callers.

Regarding the note, same questions we've always had.....certainly the Emery's would have spoken up about sending a note to Abby after that mystery hit the papers? By happenstance, did the note get delivered in that tiny window of time after Morse had left and Lizzie came downstairs? Why didn't Abby tell Bridget, nor apparently Andrew, but told Lizzie?

Those 3 questions pretty much eliminate any belief I could ever try to muster up that there was a note from anyone.
CagneyBT

Post by CagneyBT »

I also wondered how Andrew knew the Morse kids were in town and staying at the Emerys. According to John V's testimony, John already knew they were visiting; he had heard it from their grandmother. But John thought the Emery's were still living on North Main...where they had lived 7-8 years prior. It was Andrew who directed him to the Emery's new address at 4 Weybossett.

This strongly suggests that Anna did, in fact, see the Bordens just prior to the murders and provided them with the Emery's new address.
camgarsky4

Post by camgarsky4 »

You'll get no argument out of me. Perfectly plausible.
CagneyBT

Post by CagneyBT »

Thanks Camgarsky . I agree. Happy Thanksgiving!!
:grin:
CagneyBT

Post by CagneyBT »

Here's a mention of the Emery's move to Weybossett Street:

[attachment=0]DaneilEmerynewhomeFall_River_Daily_Evening_News_Mon__Dec_14__1891_.jpg[/attachment
CagneyBT

Post by CagneyBT »

Some more information about Anna E. Morse:

Annie was already working as a teacher at the time of her visit to the Emerys:
i]]The Star Tribune, Sept. 22, 1895, pg. 14. “Miss Annie Morse of Excelsior is beginning her fourth year as teacher in the school at Deephaven.”[/i][/i]

She visited Boston in 1895 with an unnamed niece:
AnnaMorseBostonvisitStar_Tribune_Tue__Sep_3__1895_.jpg

In 1904, she hosted a 70th birthday party for her mother. (Eva Woodworth, mentioned as co-hostess, would later marry Anna's brother, William):
anniemorsepartyThe_Minneapolis_Journal_Fri__Nov_18__1904_.jpg

It's known that Anna sued her Uncle John's estate, but she also got into some legal wrangling with her own father, William Bradford Morse, over a deed.
williambmorseannadeadcourtStar_Tribune_Sat__Mar_13__1909_.jpg

williambmorsedaughteranniedeedresolvedStar_Tribune_Fri__Apr_9__1909_.jpg
Anna's obituary from 1934. I believe it's from the Fall River Herald:
annaemorseobitfallriver.PNG