Borden Estate Settled

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

camgarsky4

Borden Estate Settled

Post by camgarsky4 »

Tossing a question out to anyone who knows the answer and would like to share. Below is one of the articles reporting that Emma had settled the estate in February 1894.

In Massachusetts, does this mean that Lizzie has access to monies (of her sole discretion) at this point, or did she have monetary discretion beforehand and the settling is more of a paperwork formality? In Missouri, I was executor of my parents will and I was able to 'dole' out money before the final settlement.

I'm presuming that she had to 'ask' Emma for funds prior to the final settlement. Is that a solid assumption? So post-settlement, she was free to spend at her sole discretion and without transparency to anyone else?
Screenshot 2024-01-20 095056.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Re: Borden Estate Settled

Post by Kat »

It looks pretty normal to me. Waiving of the inventory, especially, since there’s only
2 people involved and are family (sisters), is common.
Maybe Rebello has something on it. Will look…

Rebello, pgs 280+

An accounting of Andrew Borden's estate was filed by Emma Borden and witnessed by Andrew J. Jennings, Justice of the Peace, January 22, 1894.

"I, Emma L. Borden, Administratrix of the goods and estate of Andrew J. Borden, on oath depose and say that myself and Lizzie A. Borden are only children and heirs at law of said Andrew J. Borden late of Fall River in the said County of Bristol, deceased; that by request of and agreement with said Lizzie, I have not filed in said Court any Inventory of said estate or account of my administration; that I have duly paid all debts due from said estate and have divided and distributed the balance of the estate then remaining in my hands equally between myself and said Lizzie A. Borden the only other parties interested therein; and I request that this statement may be accepted and filed in lieu of and as a substitute for an itemized account as such Administratrix."
/signed/ Emma L. Borden

"I, Lizzie A. Borden, named in the foregoing statement of Emma L. Borden, do hereby certify that the facts stated in the foregoing affidavit are true and I request that said statement be accepted. in lieu of and as a substitute for any further or other account. I also acknowledge the receipt of my full share of the said estate of Andrew J. Borden and in the consideration of the__?__ do hereby release and discharge the said Emma L. Borden as such administratrix from any and all liability whatsoever arising from or __?__ of the administration of the estate of said Andrew J. Borden."
/ signed/ Lizzie A. Borden

Executed in the presence of Henrietta Morse.

Note: The petition was accepted by Probate Court; therefore, no inventory of Andrew's estate was filed. Henrietta and her sister Elizabeth, cousins of John V. Morse, were interviewed about Lizzie by the Fall River Daily Herald, August 11, 1892.

"The 'Divvy' Made / Lizzie Borden and Emma Have 'Whacked Up / Strange Report Made in the Probate Court Yesterday / Andrew J. Borden's Estate Now in the Hands of His Daughters," Fall River Daily Globe, February 3, 1894: 1.
"Probate Court / Andrew J. Borden Estate Equally Divided Between Sisters," Fall River Weekly News, February 7, 1894: 5.
"New Opera House / One of the Possibilities of 1893," Fall River Evening News, Monday, February, 13, 1893: 8.

Mr. Charles C. Cook, Lizzie's financial advisor, negotiated the Chapell estate on South
Main Street near the Andrew J. Borden Building. A right of way and stage entrance
Secured at the west end of the Andrew J. Borden Building.

"Real Estate / An Important Sale During the Week And Some Other Big Deals Being Contemplated / List of Transfers Recorded at the Local Registry Recently," Fall River Daily Globe, Friday February 17, 1893: 7.

This article contains a map of real estate proposal by Mr. Charles C. Cook.

"Dividing the Borden Property / More Evidence That the Matter Had Formed a Subject of Family Talk," Fall River Daily Globe, Friday, February 17, 1893: 7.

—I’m not sure what’s happening at the end of this citation. But it seems the estate is now being fully administrated and manipulation of funds and assets is now at work.
Previous to this settling, all I know is Lizzie had to sign POA over to Emma while she was in jail to act on her behalf and make money decisions.