Melvin O. Adams

This the place to have frank, but cordial, discussions of the Lizzie Borden case

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Harry

Melvin O. Adams

Post by Harry »

I was trying to figure out when Adams joined the defense team. The earliest date I can find is August 22, which if true, was only 3 days before the start of the Preliminary hearing.

Does anybody have an earlier date?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Well, maybe his hiring is what postponed the Preliminary Hearing?
Recall it was supposed to start on Monday the 22nd and they moved Lizzie back for it and then it didn't start til Thursday the 25th.
I would think you would have the best sources to estimate Adams' hire.
Do you know when Robinson was hired?
Harry

Post by Harry »

Robinson makes his first legal appearance in court on May 9, 1893 at Lizzie's arraignment. He then visits her in the Taunton jail on May 12 for 2 hours.
Kat

Post by Kat »

So that is not quite one month before the trial started.
OOO that's cutting it close.
I wonder how long it takes to prepare a case like Lizzie's and familiarize oneself with all the nuances?
It obviously was just enough time, but probably a 24/7 effort?

Do you think Adams' hire postponed the prelim.? I hadn't thought of it that way before.
Harry

Post by Harry »

According to the Evening Standard article on the 23rd, covering the day's happenings of the 22nd, it was Knowlton who asked for the delay:

"Mr. Knowlton addressed Judge Blaisdell, while all the people present craned forward and listened. He said a number of things had been taken from the Borden house which needed to be examined by experts, who were not ready at the present time to render their report. On this account he asked that the examination be postponed till Thursday next.
The Judge said it did not seem to him that the demand was unreasonable, and he therefore ordered a continuance till Thursday morning at 10 o'clock. "

I'll have to take a look at the Preliminary to see how active a part Adams took.
Harry

Post by Harry »

I looked at the Preliminary hearing from the point of view as to what attorney questioned what witnesses. When the prosecution was putting on it's case here's the breakdown:

ADAMS - Bridget Sullivan, Dr. Dolan, Eli Bence, John Fleet, Dr. Wood, Police officers - Doherty and Mullaly

JENNINGS - Caroline Kelly, J. Clegg, J. Cunningham, J. V. Morse, A. Churchill, Alice Russell, Police - Wixon and Harrington.

There were other minor figures handled by each.

When the defense was putting on it's case:

ADAMS - Dr. Bowen, Dr. Draper

JENNINGS - R. Hilliard, Dr. Handy, The Chagnons, Seaver

Again there were others handled by each.

It seems anytime there was medical testimony Adams handled it. The only doctor Jennings handled was Handy and his testimony was not for medical reasons. If I remember correctly it was the same at the trial.

It appears clear to me that Adams handled the most important witnesses. Jennings handled Morse and Russell but Morse was away from the scene when the crime happened and Russell had yet to reveal the dress burning.

So Adams with only 3 days to bone up on this case did a yeoman's job for the defense. Way to go Melvin!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Wow, the breakdown and timeline-style info presented here is really helpful.
Thanks.

Maybe Knowlton made a blanket statement about experts, which included the defense, just not mentioning the specifics.

We can check The Knowlton Papers.
diana

Post by diana »

Good stuff, Harry! Thanks.
augusta

Post by augusta »

Wow - interesting stuff, Harry & Kat! I still say that guy had a strange middle name. I wonder where that came from.