Bowen Goodies

Here is where you can discuss Fall River and Borden genealogy and family history!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Gramma

Bowen Goodies

Post by Gramma »

Now we can concentrate on all things Bowen!

Gramma
She was acquitted!
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Gramma--are you able to define the area of Fall River that was known as Bowenville?

Seeing where it was relative to the surrounding towns could be helpful.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Gramma
0.36% of total
The time here is: 10:04 pm
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject:  
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Seabury Bowen's parents were Benjamin Bowen and Sophia or Lepha Claflin:

From http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/us ... -0053.html

LEPHA6 CLAFLIN (SYLVESTER5, NEHEMIAH4, NOAH3, ANTIPAS2, ROBERT (MACKCLOTHAN)1) was born November 28, 1819 in ATTLEBOROUGH, BRISTOL CO., MASSACHUSETTS, and died December 31, 1898 in ATTLEBORO, BRISTOL CO., MASSACHUSETTS. She married BENJAMIN BOWEN February 18, 1838 in ATTLEBORO, BRISTOL CO., MASSACHUSETTS. He died February 28, 1879 in ATTLEBORO, BRISTOL CO., MASSACHUSETTS.

More About BENJAMIN BOWEN and LEPHA CLAFLIN:
Marriage: February 18, 1838, ATTLEBORO, BRISTOL CO., MASSACHUSETTS

Children of LEPHA CLAFLIN and BENJAMIN BOWEN are:
2103 i. SEABURY WARREN7 BOWEN, born July 22, 1840 in ATTLEBORO, BRISTOL CO., MASSACHUSETTS; died in RESIDES AT FALL RIVER, MASS. IN 1897.
2104 ii. HENRY CLARK BOWEN, born October 09, 1843 in ATTLEBORO, BRISTOL CO., MASSACHUSETTS.
2105 iii. ANGENETTE BOWEN, born February 22, 1848 in ATTLEBORO, BRISTOL CO., MASSACHUSETTS.
2106 iv. ELLEN ROSETTA BOWEN, born 1852 in ATTLEBORO, BRISTOL CO., MASSACHUSETTS; died October 19, 1853 in ATTLEBORO, BRISTOL CO., MASSACHUSETTS.

Attleboro was formed from a part of Rehoboth called the North Purchase.
This is about as far as I have gotten with Bowen.

Gramma

Post by Kat »

Allen
Zodiac:
5.65% of total
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject:  
There is a Henry O. Bowen that was living in Rehoboth, Bristol, Massachusetts for the 1880 census. But his parents are listed as Otis and Ruth A. Bowen. His birth year is listed as 1863, and his relationship to head of household is listed as Son. I wonder if he is a relation to the good doctor.

There is a Leafy Bowen listed in the 1880 census as living in Attleborough, Bristol, Massachusetts. She is listed as widow, her birth year is listed as 1820, and the relationship to head of household is listed as mother-in-law. But the name of the head of household is not listed? I thought it had to be listed.

Post by Kat »

My source has no 1880 census!!
Where did you get that?
So I can't verify the "Leafy" name, because it doesn't show up with that spelling in other census.
The closest I've come is to "Liefa" which is a questioned spelling, 1870.
--KAT

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Here is the part I don't understand.
There is one page here with Claflins.
Census, 1870, Attleboro.

I've cut it into 2 parts to make it bigger, but the first part has the Claflin's we are looking for from which Seabury's mother comes from.
But farther down at a different address, there are 2 Claflin's- one a servant-- and the other "Elizabeth"- is the one I'm not sure of her age? Does it say "1 year?"

Why is this 35 year old "Alice" Claflin (?) living with this man, "Lewis So&So" (Blake?), and way down below her is Elizabeth Claflin, and in between there is John Linnly? 45, "At Almshouse?"

Anyone have a guess what this means, and does it show Elizabeth as 1 year old in 1870??
--KAT

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Gramma
0.36% of total
Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject:  Bowen Goodies
Kat,
I would be delighted with Bowen Goodies!
I am having a problem with getting images though. Stef is aware but I need to let you know I did not get the last two census images although I did get your hand written tree and census list.
Seabury Bowen is in the 1880 Census as S.W.
1900 has him as Seaburg!
1880 Has the Leafy Bowen living with her daughter Angenette who apparently had married Charles H Rounds.

From http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... census.asp
Charles H. ROUNDS Self M Male W 34 RI Farmer MA MA
Angenett ROUNDS Wife M Female W 32 MA Keeping House MA MA
Arthur C. ROUNDS Son S Male W 8 MA At School RI MA
Frederick C. ROUNDS Son S Male W 6 MA At School RI MA
Henrietta F. ROUNDS Dau S Female W 1 MA RI MA
Leafy BOWEN MotherL W Female W 60 MA At Home MA MA

So Benjamin Bowen died before 1880!

Post by Kat »

I decided to dig into my papers on the (Fall River) Bowen family and create a "tree" to show the Bowen in Andrew Borden's family.

I used the book "Representative Men...of Southeastern Massachusetts"- the title is written on the "tree" I made- I usually just call the book "Southeasten."

Notice the Martha "Patty" Bowen.
She is where the old Bowen line comes into our Borden line.
The rest of her siblings whose marriages I have not shown (other than Abraham), would be found in a different chapter than the one I had copy of. Patty Bowen was included in a Bowen line out of John, but the focus is toward following her brother Abraham's descendents.

Dr. Seabury Bowen is out of Attleboro, Mass.
I would need further chapters on the John Bowen line to see if any of Patty's siblings created him.

I don't consider this finished, tho- I need more resource and more paper- and I'm not sure my power will stay on, so I'm posting this so far.

Please Click on the Boxed picture to make it bigger.
--KAT

Kat

Post by Kat »

"BOWEN, SEABURY WARREN 1840 - 1918: born in Attleboro, Massachusetts, son of Benjamin and Leafa (Clafflin) Bowen. A successful practicing physician in Fall River, Massachusetts, he was educated in Attleboro public schools and received his Bachelor of Arts from Brown University in 1864. He was graduated from Bellevue Hospital Medical College in 1867 and began his practice in Fall River later that same year. In 1871, he married Miss Phebe Vincent Miller. He held the post of city physician, was on the staff of the Fall River Hospital and held memberships in several medical societies. Having retired from practice, he died in Fall River. He was Andrew J. Borden's family physician. He was a witness at the inquest and the preliminary as well as final trial. His extensive testimony pertained to several aspects of the Borden murder investigation."-- from:

Commonwealth of Massachusetts VS. Lizzie A. Borden; The Knowlton Papers, 1892-1893. Eds. Michael Martins and Dennis A. Binette. Fall River, MA: Fall River Historical Society, 1994.
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

nbcatlover @ Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:48 pm wrote:Gramma--are you able to define the area of Fall River that was known as Bowenville?
Cynthia,
Bowenville was in the North end along the river but I had to go get a better description for you from http://homepage.mac.com/joepowers/locations.html

"Bowenville - Shore of the Taunton River, north of the Center, near the Slade's Ferry. Merchanics, Weetamoo, Naragansett, Sagamore, and the two Border City mills."

Basically it was the section between Brightman Street Bridge and north of where the Quequechan enters the Taunton River. That includes where the Slades Ferry and Railroad bridge used to be.

Gramma
She was acquitted!
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

Kat @ Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:16 pm wrote:
But farther down at a different address, there are 2 Claflin's- one a servant-- and the other "Elizabeth"- is the one I'm not sure of her age? Does it say "1 year?"

Why is this 35 year old "Alice" Claflin (?) living with this man, "Lewis So&So" (Blake?), and way down below her is Elizabeth Claflin, and in between there is John Linnly? 45, "At Almshouse?"

Anyone have a guess what this means, and does it show Elizabeth as 1 year old in 1870??
--KAT

Kat,
It looks as if Lewis' wife Abbie may have been a Claflin. I'll have to chase that but "Olive" (not Alice) may have been her sister and Elizabeth probably her neice, daughter of Olive. The Linnly I have no idea about but after having done enough families and seen many similar set-ups now it is possible he is actually the father of the one-year- old Elizabeth hired from the almshouse to work at the farm. Of course that is all speculation but a scenario that is entirely possible and has happened more than once.

Gramma
She was acquitted!
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

Kat @ Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:23 pm wrote:

Dr. Seabury Bowen is out of Attleboro, Mass.
I would need further chapters on the John Bowen line to see if any of Patty's siblings created him.
--KAT

So far, in exploring "The Descendants of John Bowen" I have not found a connection but everyone else is in the lineage, I swear! The Davis's, Bordens,
some Morses, Hathaways, Durfees, Braytons, etc, etc, etc all John Bowen descendants! It is a typewritten family record done by Fanny Corey Bowen and copyrighted by J Whitney Bowen in 1941. I am accessing it through Ancestry.com So far I found "Uncle"George Tew and last night found our family doctor, Dr Samuel Brown, who practiced at 130 Rock Street where my grandparents lived for a time. I have pictures of me as a little one in the yard there. My mother worked as a receptionist for him for years. This is the same address Dr Annie Mcrae (sp?)(I always have trouble with her name) was practicing at at one time.
I find no Claflins, though, in that source. Got to get Ben back to his folks!

Gramma
She was acquitted!
Gramma

Two Seaburys???

Post by Gramma »

In the index (I'm too cheap to pay for the census at 100 bucks a quarter!) for the 1860 census there are two Seabury Bowens listed for Bristol County. One is Seabury,age 40, and one Seabury w, age 19 (our doctor). Is it possible Benjamin Bowen, Dr Seabury's dad, had a brother Seabury??? Is that where the good Doctor's name came from?

Gramma
She was acquitted!
Kat

Post by Kat »

I have written out 1860 census in the 5th post here- on that white sheet of paper, above.
It is Ben's wife. They say she is female named Seabury.
Also note the spelling of Anginett or Angenett.

Kat

Post by Kat »

I suppose that other reference could be C Claflin C Olive, 1870, rather than Alice. Thanks. (It's written weirdly, nonetheless! That's why we need discussion and comparisons!) :smile:
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

Thanks, Kat!
Forgot they had recorded Lepha as Seabury. Wonder if that is how someone came up with Sophia?
The census handwriting is sometimes totally indecipherable. I have done a lot of transcription from original documents and it gets easier as you see more of it. There are some sites online I use for comparison if I really get stuck.
Is there anyone out there who can get a death record or obit for:
Henry COOK
Birth Date: 30 Jan 1875
Death Date: Aug 1966
Would have been Fall River and burial at Oak Grove Cemetery from the Home for the Aged on Highland Avenue.
If this is the correct one I have "Uncle" Henry's line. Goes back to Borden origins!

Gramma
She was acquitted!
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

According to Attleborough VS--Benjamin Bowen died on February 28, 1879. Leafa was a recent widow in 1880.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Gramma @ Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:11 pm wrote:Thanks, Kat!
Forgot they had recorded Lepha as Seabury. Wonder if that is how someone came up with Sophia?
The census handwriting is sometimes totally indecipherable. I have done a lot of transcription from original documents and it gets easier as you see more of it. There are some sites online I use for comparison if I really get stuck.
Is there anyone out there who can get a death record or obit for:
Henry COOK
Birth Date: 30 Jan 1875
Death Date: Aug 1966
Would have been Fall River and burial at Oak Grove Cemetery from the Home for the Aged on Highland Avenue.
If this is the correct one I have "Uncle" Henry's line. Goes back to Borden origins!

Gramma
I found a death record in the Social Security data base on a subscription site.
One would have to join Ancestry dot com to view whatever else there is on your Cook- I don't know what else, tho, because I no longer have access to Ancestry dot com.
But here is a copy of the record.
I blanked out the social security number.
If you want the #, PM me.

Allen

Post by Allen »

Kat @ Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:10 pm wrote:
My source has no 1880 census!!
Where did you get that?
So I can't verify the "Leafy" name, because it doesn't show up with that spelling in other census.
The closest I've come is to "Liefa" which is a questioned spelling, 1870.
I got that information from ancestry.com. The 1880 census is free there, so I use that for the 1880 census records. I copied and pasted the information directly from the search results, I still have what I copied and pasted on my computer, but I cannot reproduce those same results on the actual site?! It's very frustrating! I also have been using this site to gain information but thus far have not had much luck.

Attleboro Public Library Genealogy Archive
http://www.sailsinc.org/Attleboro/genie.htm

And here is an article I found on Oliver Quincy Claflin don't know if it helps.

http://www.accessgenealogy.com/scripts/ ... ID=0022705
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Allen

Post by Allen »

I don't know how helpful any of these links will be, but they are interesting.

John Bowen first of the Bowen Family to Settle in New York State
http://wesleyhardenzone.com/bowen.htm

BOWEN FROM PEMBROKE, WALES TO NICHOLS, NEW YORK, USA
http://www.geocities.com/bowenbret/

1790 Census Information
http://www.marketrends.net/mthome/censu ... ensus.html

I also got the search results to finally work on ancesty.com for Leafy Bowen.

Name: Leafy Bowen
Estimated birth year: <1820>
Birthplace: Massachusetts
Relationship to head-of-household: Mother-in-law
Home in 1880: Attleborough, Bristol, Massachusetts
Marital status: Widowed
Race: White
Father's birthplace: MA
Mother's birthplace: MA
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Allen

Post by Allen »

I know that you guys are probably far ahead of any information I posted because I've been playing catch up with this thread, and I'm not sure how helpful the links will be either, but I always find reading this stuff pretty interesting.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks for the links.
I seem to have found an ex-governor, William Claflin, of Massachusetts, born March 6, 1818.
At one point in his life he went to work for his father at the "boot, shoe and leather manufactory" in Milford, and in 1838 he went to St. Louis, Missouri "where he was active in the firm of How & Claflin..." (boot and shoe manufactory).
Is it a coincidence that these Claflin's (your Oliver, my William) were almost in the same state? Oliver at the far western edge of Missouri (Kansas City, Kansas) and William at the far eastern side of Missouri?
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Just as a point of information, I've come across a Sophia Borden who married a Bradford Bowen in my recent perusals, but I found no connection to Dr. Bowen.

Perhaps it was just someone's wishful thinking to connect a Borden to a Bowen in the doc's lineage.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Our copies of The Phillips History of Fall River have a signature of ownership that is:
Isabel C. Bowen.
I've never found her connection either.
Kat

City Directory- 1859

Post by Kat »

I will add the page for BOWEN from the 1859 Fall River City Directory, which Stef gave me.

Gramma

Post by Gramma »

Does this help us in the future, maybe?

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... _marr6.htm

Rehoboth Vital Records:
Sarah and Uriah BOWEN Jr., both of Rehoboth, married by David Perry Jr. Esq., Nov. 8, 1798....

Gramma
She was acquitted!
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

And this:
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/us ... -0066.html
Child of Dorothy Carpenter and Phanuel Carpenter is:
1628 i. Sally 202416 Carpenter, born October 20, 1769 in Rehoboth (Bristol) Massachusetts (Source: Carpenter Memorial, p267). She married Uriah Bowen November 08, 1798.
Notes for Uriah Bowen:
A farmer.

Marriage Notes for Sally Carpenter and Uriah Bowen:
Residence, Attleboro, Mass.

More About Uriah Bowen and Sally Carpenter:
Marriage: November 08, 1798 ......

The probability of this being our couple is extremely high although there is no proof yet.

Gramma
She was acquitted!
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

Fresh baked Bowen Goodies! Pass them around!

http://gaspee.org/
"Col Jabez Bowen:
Older stepbrother of Ephraim Bowen. Member of the Committee of Correspondence. The house of his father (1739), Dr. Jabez Bowen, still exists at 39 Bowen Street, named in honor of the respected physician. Owner of privateer Sally, 1778, Field..............

Dr Ephraim Bowen:
Father of the younger Ephraim Bowen, sponsor of the "Daughters of Liberty". Providence physician. See Simister p28.........

Oliver Bowen:
Master of Providence-based privateer, St. John, 1782, Field. Older Step-Brother of Gaspee raider Ephraim Bowen............

From: http://web.bryant.edu/~history/h364proj ... llhist.htm
History of the Hope Furnace 1765

Founded by the Brown Brothers (Nicholas, Joseph, John and Moses) and copartners in the business, Stephen Hopkins, Israel Wilkinson, Job Hawkins, and Caleb Arnold. This was an iron furnace producing, initially tea kettles, hollowware, nails, hinges, and iron hoops; but in 1775-1783 produced guns and canons cast for the Revolutionary War. The furnace structure was hearth and stack made of stone and located on the Pawtuxet River south of Salmon Hole. The river provided power for bellows and the surrounding woodlands were used for charcoal. Local farmers provided the stone that was heated and melted with the ore that came from the Oaklawn Avenue area in Cranston. The ore, charcoal, and limestone were carted uphill in horse-drawn wagons.

About 75 men were employed there as founders, colliers (coal miners), wood choppers, molders, firemen, carters and coalers of wood, diggers and carters of ore. These workers were paid poorly receiving about 1/4 of their pay in goods from the company store.

By 1768 the Furnace was producing pig iron which was sold in England in exchange for English goods. 76 cannons were cast for the war effort. One remains in front of the Hope Library. In 1806 the furnace mill was sold at auction to Silvanus Hopkins and Jabez Bowen and became the Hope Manufacturing Company, a cotton spinning mill.

This mill was located in the village of Hope, at the southwestern corner of Cranston with Scituate to the west, and West Warwick to the south. ....

Now here's something exciting...another of those damn unexplainable Upstate NY connections at: (I'll second that motion!!! gram)
http://www.innsite.com/inns/A000732.html

What Cheer Hall was the Newport village home built by Benjamin Bowen who came from Rhode Island with the financial backing of his brothers, Dr. William Bowen and Ephraim Bowen Esq. to establish a saw mill, a grist mill, a distillery, and the Newport Cotton Manufacturing Co. along the banks of the West Canada Creek using a dam and diversion canal.

This is Newport, New York, not Rhode Island, and is a town near Utica in upstate NY. The connection seems to be driven by locations along the Erie Canal which was being constructed in the early 19th century under the auspices of, of all people, John Brown's old apprentice Elkanah Watson (see JohnBrownRescue.htm). Of course, Ephraim Bowen could've have used his expertise in the stillery business in establishing these new enterprises with his brothers. The "Esq." is a nice touch. Was Ephraim a lawyer?...I doubt it, but he was obviously wealthy. Some of his wealth may also have come from his contacts with his sisters who married wealthy Providence merchants John Innes Clarke and Thomas Lloyd Halsey..

The RI Historical Society has a collection of some papers from Ephraim Bowen, mostly routine correspondence regarding his Quartermaster duties (Bowen Family Papers MSS 301, Box 1, Folders 7-14) . We also note he was an original member of the Society of the Cincinnati, for the Revolutionary War officer veterans.

From History of Providence County, Rhode Island, by Richard M. Bayles, New York, 1891, page 552: it appears that Ephraim Bowen was one of the original incorporators, and the first president of the Union Bank & Trust, established in 1814.

We also found reference that Ephraim Bowen was Grand Master of the Rhode Island Lodge of Masons in the early 19th Century (as was his stepbrother Jabez): <http://www.rimasons.org/pgm/past_grand_ ... 1-1839.htm> (Link broken as of 2005).........."

I had already explored What Cheer Hall as a possibility for Benjamin. It needs some more exploration.
Here is a quote from:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~nyherkim/whatcheer.html
"This historic home is the oldest remaining structure that has not been moved or incorporated into a larger structure still standing in the village of Newport. It is surrounded by homes that were built later in the 19th century when New England pioneers moved into the Kuyahoora valley area beginning in 1787. The first shelter built for Benjamin Bowen, builder and owner of What Cheer Hall, was a log cabin built by Christopher Hawkins for B. Bowen by 1807. That cabin was incorporated into the larger house of the Waterman estate. It was in this log cabin that the first town meeting was held in 1807. Benjamin Bowen ( 1760?-1824 ) originally came from Newport, Rhode Island and settled in 1787 in the Town of Fairfield. A year later Bowen purchased the water power and 25+ acres of land for the future village of Newport with his brothers, William, a doctor of Providence, Rhode Island, and Ephraim, a lawyer of Warwick, Rhode Island from David Campbell of New York City. In 1793 Bowen built a dam and a saw mill on the West Canada Creek and a year later a grist mill was built. By 1810 the Newport Cotton Manufacturing Co. had been built by Bowen on the east side of the creek."
So...would that be brother Dr Ephraim, ........did he have a brother William or is it Ephraim the younger with the stepbrothers Jabez and Oliver or neither? We need to check Newport a short hop if one is sailing!
What we need to know is if Ben, Sr left the Rehoboth/ Rhode Island area by 1787. The kids may have come back after he went to Tennesee.

Here is a reference that may prove valuable. Have you checked it yet, Cynthia?
Bowen, Richard LeBaron. Early Rehoboth: Documented Historical Studies of Families and Events in This Plymouth County Township. Vol. I. Rehoboth, MA, Privately Printed, 1945.

OK,
Run with it!

Gramma
She was acquitted!
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

See http://www.rihs.org/mssinv/Mss301.htm

It says that "Ephraim becam a physician like his father, studying medicine under his uncle, Dr. Jabez Bowen, with whom he lived (in Providence) from the age of nine." When did Ephraim's father, Thomas die. Did Uncle Dr. Jabez marry Sarah Hunt, Thomas' wife? 'cuz it says he married Huldah(Hunt) in 1729. Huldah/Sarah--relatives or just schizophrenic?

I need a road map for these people.

Benjamin Bowen of What Cheer Hall supposedly died in Tennesee (and became part of the Southern mess of Bowens with the same names). However, that doesn't mean he isn't part of this Bowen mess. Since Rehoboth/Attleboro were part of both RI and MA at different times, the same person could show up on both sides of the line.

Thanks for the Sarah/Sally Carpenter and Uriah lead--need to look more at that.

I've taking a 10-minute sanity break. Just finished a paper on palliative care + pain management. Now I have a Shift Assessment report to complete. It looks like an all-nighter tonight.

These guys are related somewhere--look at all the Hunt guys marrying Bowen girls. Notice all the Rounds--Dr. Seabury's sister Angenette married a Round. There is even an Ide--someone on Hannah Bourn's side (of Claflin side) married an Ide (name was originally Hide). This is one of several trees I haven't had time to study well.
http://www.ormsby.org/genie/Miscellaneous/Bowen.html
Kat

Post by Kat »

A Bowen marries a Whipple

Kat

Post by Kat »

A Bowen dies 1841

Kat

Post by Kat »

Here is the only Benjamin I found. You had asked for him:

Kat

Post by Kat »

I've just come across an extensive Bowen genealogy in a collection donated to us by Terence's widow.
I've not looked at it too thoroughly as yet.
I have a pretty good idea that he was looking for Dr. Seabury Bowen. But I didn't see him in there, after a quick perusal.
If Seabury cannot be found in all this Bowen pile, do you still wish to persue this *other* Bowen line?
Allen

Post by Allen »

Just some points of interest I've found in my search, which may not help, but I think the genealogy aspect is so interesting I've been spending a great deal of time trying to find information on it lately. There is an entire tree that is very detailed listed at the site below.

103. Jabez BOWEN born 23 NOV 1701, Rehoboth, Bristol, MA, JRF17-p19,
married 27 DEC 1727, in Rehoboth, Bristol, MA, Joanna SALISBURY, born
17 feb 1701, Rehoboth, Bristol, MA, (daughter of Samuel SALISBURY and
Jemima MARTIN).

Children:

+ 193. i Benjamin Salisbury BOWEN born 17 SEP 1717.

+ 194. ii Nathan BOWEN born 12 SEP 1729.

195. iii Obediah BOWEN born ca 1731.

196. iv Levi BOWEN born ca 1733, drowned.

197. v Miriam BOWEN born ca 1735, married Samuel GOFF.

198. vi Jemima BOWEN born ca 1737, married Stephen BOWEN.

199. vii Johanna BOWEN born ca 1739, married Nathan BLISS,

born ca

193. Benjamin Salisbury BOWEN born 17 SEP 1717, Providence, Providence
Co, RI, Doctor, married widow Peter SIMMONS. Benjamin died
Providence, Providence Co, RI.

Children:

+ 308. i Joseph BOWEN born 1755.

http://www.ormsby.org/genie/Miscellaneous/Bowen.html
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Looking through some genealogy forums tonight, I came across a reference from someone trying to document his family's line of Richard, Richard Jr., Uriell, Uriah, Benjamin.

Unfortunately, his relationship to Benjamin above doesn't reference a son-Benjamin who married Lepha (Seabury's parents), so this may turn out to be a dead end.

One goofy thing I came across was one sight which referenced a Mary Wright as a wife of Richard (jr.?) who was previously married to a Sabin and had a slew of Sabin kids who became Bowen stepkids. But I can't find any documentation of this. It may be wishful thinking on someone's part though it was filed with LDS.

The most interesting aspect I hope to pursue is another road trip, this time to Rehoboth's library. The Trim Room is supposed to have the Baptist church records (Seabury's a Baptist) and other rare sources.
http://www.carpentermuseum.org/genealogy.htm

It's in a cool building, too.
http://www.town.rehoboth.ma.us/library.html

The joke is Rehoboth goes back so far, but there's still so much woodland there. It's basically fox-and-hunt club area with a lot of equestrian centers and dog breeders. It's more developed than when I was a kid, but there are still a lot of sections that make you wonder how isolated some of these people were when the modes of transportation were on foot or by horse.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

This is just more interesting than really helpful right now:

http://members.cox.net/oldcolony/index.shtml

The pictures are though. Go down to Rehoboth and check out some links. I was scrolling through the cemeteries link earlier.
Allen

Post by Allen »

"The original Rehoboth settlement was in today's Rumford (part of East Providence), RI. The towns of Cumberland and Pawtucket, RI, were also part of early Rehoboth. Also parts of Swansea, MA (which was founded by Rehoboth families) are now in Bristol County, RI. The boundary changes between the two states were not finally settled until 1861. When you see that someone came from Rehoboth or Swansea before that time, he may have lived in what is now RI.

There are some numbers in Bowen's Early Rehoboth that show that Rehoboth was comparable to Providence at the time of the Gaspee Raid in 1772. The Massachusetts census of 1763-65 shows that Rehoboth had 617 families and a population of 3,637. The Rhode Island census of 1774
shows Providence with 655 heads of families and a total of 3,950 persons."

http://gaspee.org/EarlyRehoboth2.jpg

Click on the map which appears on the site above to bring up another map which is supposed to show Rehoboth when it was at it's 'largest extent'.
Allen

Post by Allen »

This is a site called 'Rehoboth Massachusetts Online'.

http://www.town.rehoboth.ma.us/
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

Cynthia,
Have you seen these posts from the Genforum Bowen messageboard?

"Re: Bowen ancestors in Rehoboth
Author: pat jones Date: 21 Apr 2003 1:41 PM GMT
Classification: Query
In Reply to: Re: Bowen ancestors in Rehoboth by: Sally Knox

Hi Sally,
Thanks for your quick reply. It would be just great if you could do a lookup for me at the library. Here is what I know.

Benjamin Bowen, born in the late 1700's. I know he married Eliza Ann Newman on March 7, 1819 in Rehoboth. They had a son Allen Bowen born in May of 1823 in Rehoboth. Allen married Sally W. Wood (2nd wife..first wife Elizabeth) from Swansey on Oct 29, 1854. I guess what I would like you to look up is a death for a Benjamin Bowen, or his wife Eliza Bowen. I can't Benjaman or Eliza on the 1850 census. I did find their son Allen in Rehoboth with his first wife Elizabeth. So I figured Ben and Eliza must have died before 1850.
So if you could find a death record for either of them, that would be great. Also a birth record for Allen Bowen (above) or any other children Ben and Eliza may have had. As I said I did see the record for possible parents, Cyrel and Anna Bowen, and another for a Joel Bowen and Susan Armitage, but can't connect either. Possibly a death record for Benjamin might list his parents. Or if I knew of any siblings for Allen, I could check those as well. Any information you could dig up would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.
Pat

Re: Bowen ancestors in Rehoboth
Author: Lori V. Date: 4 Oct 2003 1:59 PM GMT
Surnames: Bowen
In Reply to: Re: Bowen ancestors in Rehoboth by: pat jones

Just browsing through the message boards this morning and saw your ongoing research concerning Benj. Bowen of Rehoboth. Benjamin is my gr-gr-gr-gr grandfather. I am descended from Allen's daughter Emma Francis Bowen. I have quite a bit of info on the family, including Benjamin's will. He died on Nov. 14, 1848. How are you related? I have some family photos of some of Allen's children. I'll have to dig through some files, but I would be happy to share. I live in a town neighboring Rehoboth and know where many of the family are buried and the location of the family farm. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Re: Bowen ancestors in Rehoboth
Author: Pat Jones Date: 4 Oct 2003 7:36 PM GMT
Surnames: Bowen, Martin
In Reply to: Re: Bowen ancestors in Rehoboth by: Lori V.

Hi,
Wow, am I happy to hear from you. I didn't get your name though. It looks like we are definitely related !!!! Emma Frances Bowen (she married George Martin) is the sister of my great grandfather Allen George Bowen (both children of Allen Bowen). Allen also had a first wife named Elizabeth S Bowen and two children, Mary and Estella. I have a letter from my gr gr aunt Sarah Melissa Bowen with info on Estella and others. So Benjamin Bowen is my gr gr grandfather. He has been my brick wall, as I have not been able to establish who his parents were. I too have lots of information and would love to share with you. You said Benjamin died on Nov 14, 1848....I figured he had to have died before the 1850 census, as I didn't find him on it. I would love to see a copy of his will !!! I have much to share..could you contact me through my email address?? Joneschurchhill@aol.com.
I am in CT.
Hope to hear from you SOON !!
Pat Jones"

Do you think this could be our Benjamin?

Gramma
She was acquitted!
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

I believe the Bejamin who married Newman is a different Benjamin. Problem with the Bowens is Benjamin is a favorite name. You shake the Bowen family tree, you get another Benjamin.

From what I could make out in Attleboro, there were 2 or 3 Bens in town at that time. Unfortunately, the records list them so inconsistently, you can't make out which one they refer to.

I noted these:

Benajah Bowen (also called Benjamin) b. 3/5/1744-45
Benjamin Bowen b 1/27 1746-47
Benjamin Bowen b 12/20/1772
Benjamin Cranston Bowen b 8/6/1810 (I think this is son of Jonathan and Abigail)

and in the Rehoboth VS--there are some notes that may be the same people above or some new ones.

There were Benjamins married to:
Molly Pain of Rehoboth
Sally Surrell of Providence
Lois C. Smith of Brimfield
Freelove Case (2nd marriage for both)
Lydia Perry of Rehoboth (I think this is one I want)
Eliza Ann Newman of Seekonk
plus
Amanda
and
Polly (who may be Molly)

I can understand why people hit a brick wall with the Benjamins--it's like the movie title "All about the Benjamins".

Then I made the mistake of looking at some Swanzey records. They were filed by first name (not last). So if you are trying to put an entire family together, you literally have to go through every page.

Can I just scream now?
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

nbcatlover @ Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:00 pm wrote:.........
Benjamin Bowen b 12/20/1772.........Can I just scream now?
You give up too easy! It's out there.....we just have to find it!
The Ben I saved above is probably the one they were talking about since they say he was born in the "late" 1700's. Unless there is another one born in the "late" catagory we can eliminate this one.

Remember they married more than once so some may be the same Ben.

Gramma
She was acquitted!
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

Ok, now that I said that I find this!

BOWEN, Uriel
Family:

Marriage: 8 OCT 1767
Spouse: IDE, Esther
b. 17 JAN 1747/48 Rehoboth, Mass.
Parents:

Father: IDE, Timothy
Mother: BOSWORTH, Esther

Children:

BOWEN, Ephraim
b. 7 JAN 1769
BOWEN, Urial
b. 28 MAR 1771
BOWEN, Benjamin
b. 20 DEC 1772
BOWEN, Esther
b. 30 JAN 1775
BOWEN, Leaffee
b. 2 APR 1777
BOWEN, Caleb
b. 2 AUG 1779

Notice Leafee????? She could have been named for an aunt.

Gramma
She was acquitted!
Allen

Post by Allen »

I did a little checking around at the site Gramma had listed above and am going to list all of the records that show either a Benjamin or Lepha to put them all in one place.

INDEX - VITAL RECORDS OF REHOBOTH, 1642-1895
Marriages, Intentions, Births, Deaths.

with supplement containing the record of 1896,
Colonial returns, lists of the early settlers,
purchasers, freemen, inhabitants,
the soldiers seving in Philip's War
and the Revolution.

By JAMES N. ARNOLD

Providence, R.I.
Narragansett Historical Publishing Company
1897. [transcribed by Coralynn Brown]

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... _index.htm

The link for the page on this site which shows the Bowen Marriages Recorded.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... _marr4.htm

This is one of the recorded Bowen marriages:
Leapha and Esek ALLEN, both of Rehoboth, married by Rev. John Hill Jan. 20, 1808.

There are many records that list Benjamin Bowen as the groom, but no Lepha, Leefa, Leafa, Leaffee or anything of the sort as his bride.

Bowen Births listed on this page:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... a_bir2.htm
Allen

Post by Allen »

Some of the Bowen Births listed on the site above:

Benjamin, March 8, 1724

Benjamin, Jan. 27, 1746-7

Benjamin, Dec. 20, 1772

Leaffee, April 2, 1777

Benjamin, Jan. 29, 1787

Benjamin Cranston, Aug. 6, 1810

Some of the Bowen deaths listed:

Benjamin, of Uriah, 76 years, Nov. 14, 1818

Benjamin, of Jonathan and Abigail, 85 years, Dec. 23, 1891

I found these on the list of Intentions:

Benjamin of Rehoboth and Sally Surrell of Providence, March 20, 1824

Benjamin of Rehoboth and Lois C. Smith of Brimfield, Sept. 22, 1834.

Benjamin, Jr., of Rehoboth and Lepha Clafin(?) of Attleboro, Feb. 18, 1838.
Allen

Post by Allen »

Gramma, can you explain to me what was the purpose for the list of Intentions ? I'm taking this to mean that these were a list of the people who had announced their intended marriages? Does it mean that they actually went through with the service? Or just that, that they intended to be married?
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Thanks, Allen, for putting those online. I could only find partials on the internet. This is such a big help!

Gramma--I think the Urial who marries Elizabeth Perry in 1737 may be a better fit for Urial. 1767, I think, may be a little too late for Urial, unless this is meant to be his son Uriah (who I thought had married a Sarah or a Sally).

I need to print out some of the records and go over them with a fine-tooth comb.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

There are many records that list Benjamin Bowen as the groom, but no Lepha, Leefa, Leafa, Leaffee or anything of the sort as his bride.

Allen--it was listed in the Attleborough records. Unfortunately, they only had one fiche reader and it was in use, so I have no copy--just my hand-written notes for now.

It said:

"Leffa, unm. of A, and Benja. Bowen Jr. of Rehoboth, March 25, 1838."

They sure have fun with her first name and there are lots of them in the Attleborough/Rehoboth families. Makes me want to have a kid and name her Leafee, just so she can hate me when she grows up.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Allen--it was listed in the Attleborough records. Unfortunately, they only had one fiche reader and it was in use, so I have no copy--just my hand-written notes for now.

It said:

"Leffa, unm. of A, and Benja. Bowen Jr. of Rehoboth, March 25, 1838."

Her birth is in Attleborough too--Lefa, d. of Sylvester and Hannah (Bourn) November 28, 1819. Last name heading is Claflin/Clafflin/Claflen.

They sure have fun with her first name and there are lots of them in the Attleborough/Rehoboth families. Makes me want to have a kid and name her Leafee, just so she can hate me when she grows up.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Gramma--I've got to relook at Uriall/Urial because I could only find the one borne in 1709 the other day.

Right now, I still think the line runs (regardless of spelling) Urial, Uriah, Benjamin, Benjamin (married 1838) (there is a Benjamin, son of Benjamin, who dies on Feb. 28, 1879 [Pg. 92, No. 29] in Attleboro at the age of 67 years 3 mos and 19 days--have death certificate--estimated birth Nov. 1811?) , Seabury (b. 1840)

This is looking like the list of candidates from the Rehoboth birth list:

Uriall Bowen b. July 9, 1709
Urial Bowen b. June 6, 1740

Uriah Bowen b. March 28, 1771

Benjamin Bowen b. March 8, 1724
Benejah Bowen b. March 5, 1744-5
Benjamin Bowen b. January 27, 1746-7
Benjamin Bowen b. January 29, 1787
Benjamin Cranston Bowen b. August 6, 1810

Note: in births, Amanda Bowen, of Benjamin and Lydia (Perry), Feb. 25, 1808. So we know one of the Benjamins married a Lydia Perry.

In Attleborough, they made of point of telling me they only had the recorded births, and suggested I check some church records too.
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

Church records was my next suggestion, Cynthia. The other thing is are there any historical records kept by a historical society? Sometimes there are envelopes of private family records tucked away and the information is sitting there under another family surname. So you would look at families with the married names of daughters. There might be something under Clafflin in this case....or if we can find sisters of Seabury, their married names.

Gramma
She was acquitted!