The Westport Haunted House is no more

Here is where you can discuss Fall River and Borden genealogy and family history!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

nbcatlover

The Westport Haunted House is no more

Post by nbcatlover »

I took a special road trip out to Westport after our conversations about the haunted house on Old Bedford Road in Westport.

The reason I haven't heard anything about it is because it is no longer standing. I was shocked to find a pre-fabricated commercial building on the sight (commercial space available) surrounded by a black-top parking lot. When the house went down and the building went up I do not know.

The boulder on the grounds where people claimed to see ghosts has been removed. The one point of interest is that the trees and brush which used to obscure the old cemetery from view are gone. The cemetery did indeed jut into the former haunted property. Its entrance is on Sanford Road.

The graves include Alice Sampson and Everett Gifford, some barely legible stones with the name Pettey, a pair of Macombers, and the balance of the graves (a good number) are all members of the Wordell family. The last member of the family to be buried there was in 1954. The legible stones go back to the 1850s with some earlier, illegible stones.

Perhaps there were just too many spooky stories about the house to ever make it a desirable place to live...
Kat

Post by Kat »

I think the *Wordell* name is the one we were looking for! Thanks for checking!!
I think the Hampton Inn there has a bit of info they've heard about that place. :smile:
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

Cynthia!!!
This wouldn't be the Wordell cemetery in Westport where William Henry Cook, b.1841 and died 6 Jun 1919, is buried??? His wife was Elizabeth (Betsy) Wodell, daughter of Charles Wodell and Lovisa Wodell (yes, same surname!) and she died in 1911. Significance is, if I am correct, they are the parents of Henry Wilson Cook, the one I asked for a death record or obit for. I have he is buried in the Wordell cemetery in Westport.

Gramma
She was acquitted!
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Gramma--I can't say I remember seeing the name Cook, but I didn't go through every Wordell stone. It was pouring rain at the time.

I'll try to get back there to check it out.
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

Thanks Cynthia!
Need to correct an impression that may lead you astray. I said "he" is buried in the Wordell cemetery meaning William H Cook (Not Henry Wilson Cook).
these lines may lead back to Bowen lines as well as being Borden descendants.

Gramma
She was acquitted!
Kat

Post by Kat »

I'm glad you cleared that up! I was making new notes thinking I've got to go look again! :smile:
Your Cook is in Oak Grove, Fall River- as far as I recall you saying.
Whew!