Anthony Goodies

Here is where you can discuss Fall River and Borden genealogy and family history!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Kat

Anthony Goodies

Post by Kat »

That's a funny title, isn't it? :lol:
I know I suggested it- but not literally. :batman:
Hopefully, as we draw closer to Christmas, these tid-bits will seem like stocking stuffers!

Stef gave me the CD of the City Directory of Fall River for 1859. I thought I would add the Anthonys here.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

What a neat idea, Kat! Actually when I moved the Bowens I envisioned Bowen Goodies as a plate of tea cakes to go with the tea. Now the Anthonys are providing a plate of different goodies to pass around. Since the holiday season is upon us it might be delightful to pass around several goodies. Tea and cakes, anyone?

Gramma
She was acquitted!
Gramma

Mother's notes

Post by Gramma »

Last night I was rereading some of mother's notes and there happened to be a great deal of listings from the 1900 Fall River Directory. Here are some Anthony listings:

Page 1021

Anthony's Pharmacy
Prescription Druggists
Trusses Abdominal belts Crutches and all Surgical appliances carefully adjusted.
(Truss department upstairs)
A complete stock of Patent Medicine, Chemicals, Drugs, etc.
Fancy and Toilet Articles
Cigars and Tobacco
17 North Main St., Fall River, Mass.

Mother's notes: This was at corner of No. Main + Granite St.[the little St. where we went for Chow Mein at the Eagles downstairs].
Also where Local Finance was.

This was owned by Edward S Anthony who is listed as a wholesale druggist at 1 Granite St. - and lived at 355 No. Main St which would have been across the street from David Anthony, Sr's house at 368 No. Main
There was an Edward C [Anthony] listed as a salesman at 617 Davol and living at 592 No. Main.
Bert R [Anthony] listed as a clerk at 158 No. Main - boards at 579 [No. Main]
Emilia H. [Anthony] widow - house at 593 No. Main.
Enoch B. [Anthony] died 25 Jan 1899
Harold H. [Anthony] manager at 617 Davol (MN: this is the meat place) boards at 368 No. Main (MN: I believe he's a brother of David, Jr)
Howard M. [Anthony] clerk at Massasoit Mfg Co boards at 579 No. Main

Gramma
She was acquitted!
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

1900 Fall River Directory

Union Savings Bank 1869
14 So. Main St

Officers:

Jerome C. Borden, Pres
Cyrus C Rounsville + Charles M. Horton V.P.s
Melvin B Horton, Sec'y A. G. Hart, Treas
Adam W. Gifford, Clerk

Trustees:
David M. Anthony, Jerome C. Borden, Thomas Covel, Frederick O. Dodge,
Charles M. Horton, Melvin B. Horton, Andrew J. Jennings, John D Munroe,
John T Robertson, Cyrus C Rounsville, A. Homer Skinner, Marcus M. Wordell, James E. Winward, Elmer Wood and Theodore D. Wood

Gramma
She was acquitted!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thank you!

I noticed "Rounsville" in your list.

The name shows up in the notebook of Jennings which was transcribed in Proceedings.
viewtopic.php?t=37

Also, someone here was asked flat out where they had heard that Andrew had complained of trouble in his family that summer and no response was given as source.

This citation happens to address both of these matters:

"i.  Rounseville--told Phillips that Mr. Borden speaking to him about going over to his farm for the summer said his family affairs were such this summer that he would not be able to go."

--As you know, Gramma, "Phillips" refers to Lizzie's young untried legal defence team member, Arthur S. Phillips. Rounseville, in Hoffman's book, says it is the same: Cyrus Cole Rounseville.
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

Could the Cole in Cyrus's name be connected to the family Cole's River was named for?

Gramma
She was acquitted!
nbcatlover

Union Savings Bank's Board in 1892?

Post by nbcatlover »

Gramma @ Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:22 pm wrote:1900 Fall River Directory

Union Savings Bank 1869
14 So. Main St

Officers:

Jerome C. Borden, Pres
Cyrus C Rounsville + Charles M. Horton V.P.s
Melvin B Horton, Sec'y A. G. Hart, Treas
Adam W. Gifford, Clerk

Trustees:
David M. Anthony, Jerome C. Borden, Thomas Covel, Frederick O. Dodge,
Charles M. Horton, Melvin B. Horton, Andrew J. Jennings, John D Munroe,
John T Robertson, Cyrus C Rounsville, A. Homer Skinner, Marcus M. Wordell, James E. Winward, Elmer Wood and Theodore D. Wood

Gramma
Came across Gramma's post when looking for Pine Street ties. This meant nothing to me when it was first posted. David "the boyfriend" Anthony's father was on the bank's board in 1900. His uncle Charles Horton (who was married briefly to Andrew's sister before she died) was also on the board in 1900.

Were they on the board back in 1892? Many of the other names from 1900 were--like Cyrus Rounsville who testified Andrew spoke about family trouble at home.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Couldn't help but be curious if Melvin B. Horton was a relative of Charles.

Found this info at
http://tirocchi.stg.brown.edu/database/ ... record=078
Mrs. Melvin. B. Horton (Louise)
client
First Name:
Louise

Middle Name:
D.

Last Name:
Horton

Maiden Name:

Name Variants:
Mrs. Melvin. B. Horton

Relatives:

Source of Income: 1915, husband, treasurer of Mechanics (sic) Mills - cotton goods mfgers. - (not listed in directory but Mechanics' (sic) Foundry and Machine Co. was) (FRD, p. 332, 419) 1922, he is still treasurer at MM (FDR, p. 366, 465, 1029) 1931 no occupation listed for him (FDR, p.532)

Address(es):
360 Prospect Street, Fall River, MA

Transactions made by:
Mrs. Melvin. B. Horton (Louise)

Kat

Post by Kat »

When you said Charles Horton was married briefly to Andrew's before she died- what do you mean, please? Thanks!
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Sorry, I misspoke. It was Andrew's 2nd cousin (but I think they lived on Ferry St. then).
Charles was married from 1867-1869 to Hannah J. Borden, daughter of Deacon Joseph C. Borden. She, by my calculations, was Andrew Borden's second cousin once removed. They had no viable offspring.
This was posted under topic: City Hall Clock, Aug. 31,2005.

It's scary reading my own old posts. With more time and research, I can see how naive I was on some topices as a newbie. Now, without keeping up on the topics everyday, I sometimes think I've forgotten more than I remember. Thank Heavens for "Search for".
Kat

Post by Kat »

I thought you might mean Andrew Jennings' sister? He was on that list- as a Trustee.
I have not followed his tree.
(Sorry- I notice in my query I left out the word "sister!") :smile:
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Doesn't anyone think it's curious that David M. Anthony is on the board of Andrew's bank?

Does anyone know where there are more records of Union Savings' directors at the time of the murder to 1900. I don't think David was on the board at the time of the murders. Was either one of his uncles, either Charles W. Anthony or Charles Horton?
Kat

Post by Kat »

If you're out there Cynthia, this is for you!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I did not know that Cyrus Rounseville was Andrew's bank Vice-President until I re-looked at these Directory contributions.