Knowlton "goodies"

Here is where you can discuss Fall River and Borden genealogy and family history!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

nbcatlover

Knowlton "goodies"

Post by nbcatlover »

Good Knowlton article here:

Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks for providing that, Cynthia.

Yes, it was a William Emery, reporter for the New Bedford Evening Journal who collected news items and created a scrapbook. Robert Flynn acquired it. In the David Kent Preface to The Sourcebook, he mentions "more than 150 scapbook-pages" as surviving to become part of his own collection.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

At the New Bedford Public Library on Friday, I was going through the Massachusetts Vital Statistics microfiche for New Bedford births in 1892 related to another matter. This was a very tedious job, because all I had was a last name and the sex of the child. For most towns this would be simple because most have the births arranged by month for the year.

New Bedford, however, seems to have collected all the birth information at one time, recording the births for 1892 probably during census collection. Most are listed as being recorded in January, 1893, in no sorted order. You have to review every page. It was interesting to note that at the very end of the records for 1892 that the birth of a son, Benjamin, was noted for Hosea and Sylvia (I believe it was in Feb. but I need to recheck this). This birth for 1892, interestingly, was at the very end of the list because it was not recorded until 1895.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

edit
augusta

Post by augusta »

I haven't seen that picture of Knowlton before. Thanks, nbcatlover!

I've never heard of the name "Morill". Maybe that's a last name, carried down?
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Interestingly, there are several families with both Morrills and Morses in them--haven't not found any relevant ties to our cast of characters, however.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Just a note to let you know that I'm trying to restore some of the pictures that had been posted on the forum. Many got lost or damaged when I had a major computer crash.

I especially wanted to restore the above picture of Knowlton because it makes him seem a warmer and friendlier person that the popular side view with his jaw jutting out. It is easier to see from the above picture why so many of his peers found him to be a warm and jovial man.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thank you for taking the time and extra effort, Cntha.
Doug

Post by Doug »

I have been looking through some old topics and came across this one on Hosea Knowlton. His middle name was Morrill, not particularly a common name, I guess, but with historic New England associations. B & M baked beans and brown bread are familiar in this part of the country though I don't know if they are distributed throughout the United States. B & M, which is located in Portland, Maine, stands for Burnham and Morrill. Also, the author of the land-grant college act of the 1860s, which promoted the development of many state universities, was Justin Morrill, a U.S representative from Vermont.