Emery "goodies"

Here is where you can discuss Fall River and Borden genealogy and family history!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

nbcatlover

Emery "goodies"

Post by nbcatlover »

sguthmann--I know you've been looking for the Emery family, too. Here's a start.

From the Fall River City Directories, I found Daniel L. Emery showed up in 1885 and was boarding at 268 N. Main St., the home of Eliphalet P. Emery. Through Eliphalet, I was able to get more info from:

"Genealogical Records of Descendants of John and Anthony Emery, of Newbury, Mass. 1590-1890" compiled by Rev. Rufus Emery for the Emery Family Association, published by The Salem Press in 1891.

Descendants of John Emery

1 John Emery
.. +Agnes
........ 2 Anthony Emery
............ +Frances
................... 3 James Emery 1630 -
....................... +Elizabeth - 1687
............................. 4 Job Emery 1670 - 1736
................................. +Charity Nason
........................................ 5 Jabez Emery 1718 - 1790
............................................ +Elizabeth Butland
.................................................. 6 Isaac Emery 1756 - 1836
...................................................... +Eunice Perkins 1761 - 1834
............................................................. 7 Benjamin Emery 1793 - 1871
................................................................. +Sally Towne
........................................................................ 8 Eliphalet Emery 1826 -
Leaves Fall River for Warren, RI, in 1897 according to F. R. City Directory
............................................................................ +Cassandra Littlefield
.................................................................................. 9 Seth B. Emery 1850 - 1852
.................................................................................. 9 Alonzo L. Emery 1853 - 1854
.................................................................................. 9 Sarah Emery 1855 - 1858
.................................................................................. 9 Ellen A. Emery 1857 - 1857
.................................................................................. 9 Sarah Abbie Emery 1858 - 1859
.................................................................................. 9 Celia P. Emery 1860 -
...................................................................................... +Walter Chase of Warren, Rhode Island
.................................................................................. 9 Daniel L. Emery 1861 -
Leaves Fall River for Taunton in 1896 according to F. R. City Directory
.................................................................................. 9 William E. Emery 1864 -
........................................................................ 8 Benjamin F. Emery 1824 -
............................................................................ +Olive J. Bragdon
.................................................................................. 9 Daniel C. Emery 1851 - 1853
........................................................................ *2nd Wife of Benjamin F. Emery:
............................................................................ +Susan Gooch
........................................................................ 8 Isaac M. Emery
............................................................................ +Matilda M. Pinkham
........................................................................ *2nd Wife of Isaac M. Emery:
............................................................................ +Sarah E. Pike - 1882
.................................................................................. 9 Isaac M. Emery 1858 -
.................................................................................. 9 Mary Ellen Emery 1860 -
.................................................................................. 9 Benjamin F. Emery 1862 -
.................................................................................. 9 John Jabez Emery 1865 -
.................................................................................. 9 Charles H. Emery 1869 -
........................................................................ 8 John A. Emery
........................................................................ 8 William H. Emery
................... *2nd Wife of James Emery:
....................... +Elizabeth (Newcomb) Pidge
........ 2 John Emery

John Emery and Anthony Emery (brothers) and their families (generation 2 above)came from Romsey, Hampshire County, England. They arrived in 1635 in Boston on the ship, James, from London.

Anthony Emery, the American progenitor of Daniel L. Emery's branch, lived in Ipswich, then Newbury, MA. He then was an early settler in Dover, NH, then migrated to Kittery, ME. He lost his freeman standing in Kittery, ME, for consorting with strangers and Quakers, so he left for a more tolerant area, Portsmouth Colony, RI. There is some indication that he returned to Kittery later in life.

Both the branches of John Emery and Anthony Emery (generation 2 above) have many Morses and Morrisons in them (Uncle John's parents' last names) but no obvious close link. There are also Gardners, Chases, and Bowens tied to the Emerys. Also a Wing and a Cook.

This is as far as I have gotten. Maybe you can find the crucial link.

NOTE: Eliphalet Emery, father of Daniel L., was Superintendent of the Durfee Mill and responsible for its day-to-day operations.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

A couple of times, William M. Emery, of The Emery Collection owned by Robert Flyyn, has been mentioned.

He is also a descendant of the Anthony Emery branch.

His full name is William Morrell Emery, born October 2, 1866, to Edwin and Louisa F. (Wing) Emery in Brunswick, ME.

He graduated from Bowdoin College in 1889.

His career in journalism included the "Evening and Sunday Telegram" of Providence, RI; city editor of the New Bedford "Evening Journal"; and Fall River "Evening News".

His line is Edwin (9), William L. (8), Thomas S. (7), William (6), Caleb (5), Caleb (4), Daniel (3), James (2), Anthony (1).

Interestingly, according to the F. R. City Directory, he lived at 96 French Street in 1905.

Fairhaven Guy--William and his wife, Margaret, lived at 138 Main Street in Fairhaven from 1940-1948 according to the NB/Fhvn Directories.

He and his wife then move back to New Bedford in 1949, and there is no further listing for him. I need to check Vital Statistics for a death listing since he would have been 83 in in 1949.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Wow!
That's a lot of info!
That's a lot of typing!
How did you get your format so perfect?

Thanks!

I think the Morse extended family believe Dan Emery married into them, but I can't prove it.
It's just a hint.
We still need his wife's first name.
I wonder if it's in the newspaper?
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

The Emery family moves a lot, including Dan. If he "died" in Taunton, his widow would be listed in the directories. I just did that stuff today!
Kat

Post by Kat »

I checked The Boston Globe, The Evening Standard- looked through The Sourcebook, and searched The Providence Journal and only found the Emery bits we already know about.
Including that Dan worked at the Hargrave mill and them playing croquet when they got the visitors telling them of the Borden deaths, in the Fall River Globe. (items only from Aug. 4-11, 1892).
No first name for Mrs. Emery.
sguthmann

Post by sguthmann »

If I'm reading the information correctly, I take it Daniel Emery could not have been a literal "cousin" to Morse? Not that I'm especially surprised, but just want to be sure that these ol eyes are reading correctly?
Kat

Post by Kat »

I think he married into a family who were related to the Morse side thru marriage.
Probably thru the Mason line. I was just thinking about that today.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Cynthia, so Eliphalet Emery is Daniel Emery's father?

Can you find Eliphalet in the census?
sguthmann

Post by sguthmann »

bless you gals for your help and research. while perhaps not a very important fact in the scheme of things, I'd just like to know once and for all who Daniel Emery was and how he was related to Morse and the whole affair. I just wanted to say how much I appreciate your efforts!
joe

Post by joe »

This is great info! Thanks!
Joe
'97 Harley Road King with Gramma in the sidecar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. ~ Edgar A. Poe