Maps

Here is where you can discuss Fall River and Borden genealogy and family history!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Kat

Maps

Post by Kat »

There was a question about where the different areas of Fall River were located within that city.
Here is a map from Phillips History of Fall River which shows the areas known as Mechanicsville, Flint Village and Globe Village.
Bowenville is not included. Please see the arrows.

(Anyone have maps?)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Another Map

Post by Kat »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Kat

Post by Kat »

Posted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject:  Topgraphic maps
------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are into topographic maps the Univ. of New Hampshire has a great web site showing hundreds of towns (and areas) in New England and New York.
--Harry

http://docs.unh.edu/nhtopos/nhtopos.htm
Kat

Post by Kat »

I think Harry found this map ages ago.
It's a panoramic map of Fall River, c. 1877.
You can zoom in and out.

http://rs6.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?gmd: ... ammem_LGVv::
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes KAT:

Fall River was broken up into many small neighborhoods with names such as, Flint village, Newville, Mechanicsville, Steepbrook, etc. Many of these neighborhood villages were centered around existing mills. The mill would go up and a neighborhood would grow around it. As time went by many of these names were forgotten. I was born in the Flint village, which is the east end of Fall River and still known as such.

"Bowenville," was one of those small villages. Not a well known one such as Mechanicsville or Globe Village.

"Bowenville" was located along the Taunton River between The Braga Bridge and Brightman Street Bridge, just about where the Cook Borden lumber yard was located; in the area around the bottom of President Avenue, and to the south of it.

"Bowenville," center would be around where Point Gloria Apartments are located today. Still a couple of small old houses that Fall River has yet to violate. This area was devastated once RT 79 (RT 24 ext) went in.

If you look at the second map you have posted above, and you placed your thumb over the top of the map where it says "Hataway Street" and "Fall River station," you would be covering the old Fall River area known as "Bowenville".

I could not find it in any of my books, but found it on a 1840's map that hangs on my livingroom wall.

Also, on the same wall is a very large original 1877 map of Fall River, published in that year by J. Knauber and Co. (think they were in milwaukee)

Very interesting map. (1877) At the top of French Street, it shows the Hooper house, which would be No. 1 French. But after that the whole block down to Belmont Street, including Maplecroft, (which would be number 7) does not appear on the map since they were not built yet, though there are other buildings in their places, proof of how much Fall River has really changed since that time.

If you look closely at the 1877 map, you can see number 92 Second, plainly. :smile: Coul!! :smile:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Hey Kat: I am a little lost here; probably came in in the middle here somewhere? Why were we looking for Bowenville?????
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks for the native info!
Bowenville was around the area of the Bowenville RR station, was it?

Someone wanted to know where Bowenville was, I think, in the topic about Dr. Bowen and his antecedents.
I'm just collecting maps here as a resource for anyone interested. Maps seem to be a good compliment to genealogical study.

I have the 1877 Fall River map that is the panoramic map, medium sized. Stef has the giant one.
I also have the 1873 Atlas page, which section I post above.
Stefani gave them to me as gifts.
On the opposite side is Taunton! :smile:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Great KAT:
Always fascinates me how people who live in other places of the country can appreciate Fall River a lot more than those who live here. I have always believed that the destruction of Fall River's past can be contributed to it's population's lack of interest for the town they live in, which in many cases is a sad commentary on it's citizens.

So, it's great that you have a copy of the 1877 Fall River map, along with other maps. The original on my wall is very difficult to come by. Though, I think there's a company making exact duplicates. Is Stef's one of the old ones?

I was just talking about the subject at the coffee shop yesterday with a friend who was close to a city official back when they knocked down the old Fall River City Hall. He said that the employees raided the closets and cellar of the old City Hall and many things walked out the door; and one fella walked away with a large number of the original 1877 maps. Such is lore, history and rumor.

Dr. Fitton in Fall River has a copy on his waiting room wall at the Truesdale Clinic. His copy is wonderful, and in nice condition. Not sure if it's an original though. It has been hand colored. If an original, hand coloring could take away from it's value. Should have taken a better look at it when I was there.

Post by Guest »

Yes, One more thing KAT:

I'm not fimiliar with the second map you posted. But it's a much later map, since it shows the Braga Bridge which was built in the 60's. Though, I find it strange, since it shows the Fall River Train Station which would be right in the area of Bowenville. That station was long demolished when that map was printed.

When I was a kid, and well before there was a Braga Bridge, there was a supermarket on that site. If my mind serves me right, I think it was an A&P. On that spot today is a Pharmacy, an Auto Zone and a Dollar store of sorts.

The train tracks still run behind the building. The state has been making repairs to the tracks and bridges along the way, in a future plan to have a passanger train between Fall River and Boston, though this idea is being fought by small towns along the way that do not want a high speed train zooming through their streets.

If Fall River had any sense of history they would return the Train station right to that same location, which would be a great spot.

It was along these tracks, about 2 blocks north of that railroad station, that in February 1894 Texitle magnet Spencer Borden lost his son Brook, when the train hit a Snow sleigh full of high school students on thier return ride from Somerset and Swansea. Three boys were killed, all from very well-to-do families. At the time Spencer Borden had the most Opulent Mansion "INTERLACHEN," in Fall River; now part of the Fall River water works. :smile:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

OH, OH, THERE I GO AGAIN, :oops: :-? :oops:

PRESSING THE WRONG BUTTON AGAIN. THE LAST POST SHOULD READ "MBHENTY" NOT GUEST. SORRY EVERYONE. (SORRY KAT) :oops:
Kat

Post by Kat »

In the Terence Duniho Collection I came acrosss a b/w copy of an 1891 Fall River. It's too big to xerox.
I suppose I could take it in sections... hmm...

Our panoramic maps are reproductions.
Our atlas page 1873 is real.
Someone bought the atlas and sold it page by page.
I just saw it on E-bay thru a link to another site of a seller and they wanted over $100 for the same atlas page as I have.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Interesting Kat:
Back in the early 1980's I came across several Atlas's of Bristol County Maps, which Included a group of Fall River, Somerset, Swansea, Assonet, all the towns and cities in Bristol County, MA. What a fantastic find. What an amazing loss and missed opportunity. We are talking about a 1860's to 1880's printing. Not sure? But they were very early and contained many colored maps, each which sell today from 50 to 150 each. I could have purchased the Atlas complete with several hundred maps included back in the 80's for 150 dollars an Atlas...........outch!! :mad:

But could have purchased Microsoft at a couple of bucks a pop also. At the time, who knows these things??? Very few. :sad: :smile: