lizzie borden family tree

Here is where you can discuss Fall River and Borden genealogy and family history!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

snokkums

lizzie borden family tree

Post by snokkums »

Has anyone ever did lizzie's family tree? It would be interesting to see if anyone is alive that is related to lizzie and family.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I think this subject came up a few months back, Snokks, but I can't remember what was said. It would be cool if someone were to do it. Unfortunately Lizzie and Emma had no children but perhaps cousins had some lineage.

Could you imagine a little blue-eyed Lizzie running around somewhere? Or a "prim and proper" Emma? :smile:

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
myk7753

Post by myk7753 »

Hello! I'm a newbie and this is my first post. If you google "Lizzie Borden Genealogy" it should take you to Genealogy.com and a direct link to Lizzie's family tree. Here's the link:

http://www.genealogy.com/famousfolks/lizzieb/index.html

I have always been fascinated with Lizzie, and was estatic when I discovered while working on my own family tree about 8 years ago that I am a 7th cousin of Lizzie's! ( Richard Borden c.1595/96 is our common ancestor), so yes, there are cousin's alive and well... :grin I'd be happy to post this family connection if anyone is interested.

Michele King
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Welcome Michele !

Do you know why it has Lizzie listed as "Elizabeth", when according to inquest testimony(from newspaper accounts), she was christened Lizzie Andrew Borden ?

Q. (Mr. Knowlton.) Give me your full name.
A. Lizzie Andrew Borden.
Q. Is it Lizzie or Elizabeth?
A. Lizzie.
Q. You were so christened?
A. I was so christened.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
myk7753

Post by myk7753 »

No, I don't know. But...I'm a seasoned genealogist and I DO know that creative license was taken quite often with the spelling of someone's name. Could be the name "Elizabeth" was so common, any name that was a form of that, was assumed to be only a shortened version? I don't know, that's just a guess.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I am by far not an expert in the field of genealogy, but can an error like that be corrected, or does it have to be left that way ?

Tracy...
Kat

Post by Kat »

Hi myk!

That's a good question Tracy.
Also the site has her death date wrong.
2 things to fix.

Try the website, "All Things Swift" which has some Borden genealogy by Terence Duniho, and click on the tree info within the article.
http://lizzieandrewborden.com/NewResearch/Swift.htm

Also, at the website is a link to a genealogy:
http://members.aol.com/alicebeard/borden.html
(I haven't really checked it).

In The Hatchet, June/July 2004 issue, you will find a Morse tree. Any Morse relative will be closer than a Borden, thru mother Sarah and her siblings, because Andrew's siblings died without heirs as well.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Welcome aboard, Michele!

Yea, go ahead and post it if it is not any trouble. It will get added to the archieves for all of us, and future Lizzieites, to study.

Do you bear any likeness to Lizzie or Emma, Michele?

Again, welcome aboard! Have fun.

-1bigsteve (o:
myk7753

Post by myk7753 »

Whoever first posted that genealogy would have to be the one to correct it, I suppose. I'd be curious to see Lizzie's birth certificate, (if one exists) to see how her name appears on the official record. Could be another bit of "fact" that Lizzie was confused about? <smile>
myk7753

Post by myk7753 »

Hi Steve!

It's funny...after reading your question I had to stop and think about the answer. If I do have any resemblance it's to Lizzie, definately not Emma. And in some ways my life has had some commonalities. And...I have always been fascinated by her, way before I knew there was any family connection at all. Genetic memory perhaps???

I'm not quite sure how I should post my line, if you'll let me know I'd be happy to. Should I just add it to a post here?

Thanks! Michele
Kat

Post by Kat »

I believe the FRHS has the family Bible which lists births, marriages etc. if the "Lizzie" name is in question?
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Yes, you can just add it as a new topic, Michele. Maybe a heading of say "Lizzies Family Line" or something like that. Whatever you like. If it is a "picture" such as a diagram, rather than just a list of names, you could probably use the "Add Attachment" button and it's fields. I'm not an expert in adding photos and such (although I did stay in a Holiday Inn once) so maybe one of the other regulars can direct you better on that then I can.

Don't forget to list your own name. We want to see if there is any "guilt by association..." :wink:

-1bigsteve (o:
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

Just looked at the geneology for lizzie thats so cool. Now what I want to know is if there is any decendants of lizzie and emma.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Since neither Lizzie nor Emma had any children that we know of, there would be no direct (the right word ?) descendents, but there are relatives somewhere, because there were some folks several years back who refused Prof. Starr permission to disturb the graves and exhume the bodies for examination...right ?

Tracy...
Kat

Post by Kat »

I think Prof. Starrs claimed a Borden: Donald Borden of Maryland?- was one one the relatives who opposed exhuming the bodies.
I think Harry might remember the news item where that is written about.
I've looked around- didn't come across it yet.
You can do a Google search for "Prof. Starrs," Snokkums, and will eventually probably find the article on-line about this Borden.
Did you want to contect someone "Borden?"
Harry

Post by Harry »

The 1998 article Kat refers to is titled "Bone Hunter" and it appeared in the Washington City Times. The URL it was at is no longer valid.

In the article Starrs describes the various bodies he's exhumed (or tried to) which included Alferd Packer (the Colorado Cannibal), Carl Weiss, the man who shot Huey Long and Jesse James.

At the time of the 1998 writing he was also interested in exhuming Meriwether Lewis (of Lewis & Clark fame).

The portion of the article about the Bordens reads:

"Six years ago, he abandoned one of his favorite causes after receiving dozens of letters from relatives of the deceased protesting his investigation. Starrs had wanted to look into the notorious Lizzie Borden case and probe the charges that Borden had murdered her parents with a pickax. "The worst part about it," Starrs laments, years later, "was that [the relatives] also said that they liked the mystery—the mystery being that even though she was acquitted, that everybody else thought she was guilty. They liked that. They were happy with that." Starrs says he has no patience for living with mystery, even though his digs usually do little to actually resolve the debate. One of the descendants who wrote a protest letter is an Alexandria resident named Douglas Borden. Although he refuses to comment, his wife, Joan, remembers Starrs well: "He was extremely accusatory toward Douglas. He thought he was some sort of ringleader or something." Both she and her husband still want nothing to do with Starrs. "Let the dead lie in peace, regardless of who they are. Just let 'em lie," she says."

Starrs was 67 in 1998 so he would be 75 today.

Personally I agree with the relatives, "Let the dead lie in peace.."

EDIT HERE: I just located another URL for the article:

http://www.theoutlaws.com/outlaws9.htm
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Thanks for that information Kat and Harry. I agree...let the dead lie in peace.

Tracy...
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks Harry! I will always call that poor Douglas Borden from Alexandria "Donald Borden from Maryland!" Jeesh!
Thanks again.

Anyway, Snokkums, we don't know his degree of kinship but he seemed to be a sort of family spokesman.

Still, as I said earlier, a closer kin would be through the Morse line.
Cemetery Hunter

Post by Cemetery Hunter »

She later changed it too Lizbeth well not so much changed it but wanted to be called that I just read it some where I wished I had book marked it. I found it:
Without direct evidence of Lizzie Borden's part in the murder, the jury was not convinced of her guilt. Lizzie Borden was acquitted on June 20, 1893. She remained in Fall River, buying a new and bigger home she called "Maplecroft," and calling herself Lizbeth instead of Lizzie. She lived with her sister Emma until they had a falling-out in 1904 or 1905, possibly over Emma's displeasure at Lizzie's friends from the New York theater crowd. Both Lizzie and Emma also took in many pets, and left part of their estates to the Animal Rescue Leauge.
http://womenshistory.about.com/od/crimi ... borden.htm
Thefrogshateme

Re:

Post by Thefrogshateme »

myk7753 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:40 pm Hello! I'm a newbie and this is my first post. If you google "Lizzie Borden Genealogy" it should take you to Genealogy.com and a direct link to Lizzie's family tree. Here's the link:

http://www.genealogy.com/famousfolks/lizzieb/index.html

I have always been fascinated with Lizzie, and was estatic when I discovered while working on my own family tree about 8 years ago that I am a 7th cousin of Lizzie's! ( Richard Borden c.1595/96 is our common ancestor), so yes, there are cousin's alive and well... :grin I'd be happy to post this family connection if anyone is interested.

Michele King
My wife was doing her family tree yesterday and now thinks she's related to lizzy borden. Would you like to compair family trees somehow? Did you have any sprayberry's in your family?
rosiechap

Re: lizzie borden family tree

Post by rosiechap »

I have actually did a family tree on the Borden side of the family going back 10 generation.
Rdbates16

Re: lizzie borden family tree

Post by Rdbates16 »

snokkums wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:15 am Has anyone ever did lizzie's family tree? It would be interesting to see if anyone is alive that is related to lizzie and family.
My 3rd Great Grandfather was Richard Bates, married to Amanda M. Borden. She was the sister of William S. Borden (The alleged iligitimate son of Andrew J. Borden while he was married to Sarah Morse).