A relative in the Borden case?

Here is where you can discuss Fall River and Borden genealogy and family history!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Roy Nickerson

A relative in the Borden case?

Post by Roy Nickerson »

Caveat: This may be boring!
Although a resident of Colorado for the last 14 years, I was born, raised, and have lived most of my life in and around Boston.
I'm a direct descendent of William and Anne Nickerson who came from Norwich, England to Massachusetts Colony in 1637 and eventually founded the town of Chatham. Most any Nickerson in that vicinity is a relative.

In 1893 there was a Bristol County sheriff named John Nickerson, and he served as overseer to the Borden Jury (see Rebello).

I would like to find out if he was a relative, but don't quite know where to begin. Any advice from the geneologically savvy would be most appreciated.
Palma Virtuti
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

This is what I obtained by using the link below and selecting the 1880 U.S. Census, entering the name John W Nickerson and selecting state: Massachusetts.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... census.asp

Among the results:

If J. W. Nickerson was still the Deputy Sheriff, he would have been 75. Another possibility would be John W. , the law student. But you are off to a good start with the names of his 3 children.

From this point, I would begin to search the New Bedford City Directory for 1893 or years as close as possible to verify who , in the household, was still alive. If J. W. was the same Deputy Sheriff, I would check the Massachusetts Vital Statistics Birth Records for the year of his birth to see if he was born in New Bedford or elsewhere. A birth certificate would name his parents.

I would also search the directories forward to try and determine the year of his death, then verify the date through Mass. Vital Statistics Death Records for the exact date. With this, it may be possible to locate a probate, status of his children, their locations at the time of his death. Registry of Deeds transactions are sometimes helpful as well if he owned property and it stayed in the family.

I'd also be starting my own family tree, listing parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles...as much as I knew about my own line.
Kat

Post by Kat »

That's great advice and good stuff you've offered, Cynthia! Thanks!
Roy Nickerson

Post by Roy Nickerson »

It certainly is! Thank you Cynthia. I had forgotten what a great source the LDS geneological records are.
Palma Virtuti
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

The access to the 1880 U.S. Census is a god-send. I've found so many missing bits of information there.

I'd offer to check out the New Bedford Directories for you, but I am working weekends now and about ready to start classes again (already have pre-class assignments!).

If I can get some time, I'll be happy to pass it on.
Borden

family

Post by Borden »

okay so if you people really wanna know a relative of hers im one of them im an ancestor of william borden Andrew borden's(lizzies dad) brother. my dad is actually William Borden IV and william and andrew were cousins to Gail Borden
Kat

Post by Kat »

Hello!

Andrew Borden did not have a brother, and his father had no brothers named William, in case you meant Abraham.
Andrew's uncles were Thomas, Richard, Cook, Ladwick, and Zephaniah.

Do you know your tree? Maybe I can help a bit?
Borden

Post by Borden »

yes i do i go all the way back to william the conquerer my g-ma is really into the geanealogy stuff okay so maybe i forgot to say that im like twiced removed or something but i know w/o a doubt i am so maybe ur wrong lady u can talk to my grandma maybe ur just jealous that ive got famous people in my family like marylin monroe william the conquerer and mary queen of scots see i dont think 5 generations can be wrong about a family member i know most of my relatives would be happy not to be related to her but we are so im sorry to dissapoint you whoever u are
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Borden: The first rule around here is to be courteous and respectful to your elders. Kat has an enormous knowledge of both the Borden family and the case, and was kindly offering to sort out your family tree a bit. But there is no reason to respond to her (or anyone else here) with anything else than total courtesy--even if you ARE a Borden.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Yes, young Master Borden...Stuart is correct. Kat will be of enormous help to you if you let her. Also, maybe your grandparents can give us an insight to the family that we've never had before. We are all hear to share and to learn. Would they consider joining the forum ?

Everyone can learn something on this forum, whether they are already an expert on the case, or are just discovering our passion.

Have you checked out this area of lizzieandrewborden.com ??:
http://www.lizzieandrewborden.com/LizzieABorden.htm

Also, you may be interested in subscribing to The Hatchet - Journal of Lizzie Borden Studies:
http://www.lizzieandrewborden.com/LizzieABorden.htm

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Borden

Post by Borden »

im a girl and let me say first that im always respectful to my elders im just really into my family and it just is one of my peeves when people call me a liar or that im not as smart as i am all i know is that i am related to her so im sorry and heres a funny antidot ewhen i was born my mom wanted to name elizabeth but my dad stopped her so i guss it would have been interesting for u to talk to a lizzie borden hahaha
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

My apologies for thinking you were male. Your profile did not mention either way.

I don't believe anyone used the word liar. We have some folks on this forum who are not only experts on the details of this case, but who have also spent countless hours studying related geneaology. I am sure if you have some info and documentation to share, it would be welcomed

Elizabeth is a great name, but we know, it did not belong to 'our' Lizzie.

What Lizzie (case-related) books have you read ? Have you read nay of the offical trial documents ? (many available via lizzieandreborden.com for free)

What brought you to this website ?

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
snokkums

Re: A relative in the Borden case?

Post by snokkums »

Roy Nickerson @ Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:33 am wrote:Caveat: This may be boring!
Although a resident of Colorado for the last 14 years, I was born, raised, and have lived most of my life in and around Boston.
I'm a direct descendent of William and Anne Nickerson who came from Norwich, England to Massachusetts Colony in 1637 and eventually founded the town of Chatham. Most any Nickerson in that vicinity is a relative.

In 1893 there was a Bristol County sheriff named John Nickerson, and he served as overseer to the Borden Jury (see Rebello).

I would like to find out if he was a relative, but don't quite know where to begin. Any advice from the geneologically savvy would be most appreciated.
You can go to the Mormon church, or request information, and get a genelogy report. That's how I found out about my relatives and where they were at.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
MysteryReader

Re: A relative in the Borden case?

Post by MysteryReader »

Ooohhh, I love history and genealogy! Roy Nickerson, I don't think it's boring. Have you figured out HOW y'all are related? And Borden, can you share more on your end? I find it fascinating. :grin: