Rhoda (aka Rhody) Morrison

Here is where you can discuss Fall River and Borden genealogy and family history!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

nbcatlover

Rhoda (aka Rhody) Morrison

Post by nbcatlover »

Came across a genealogy of a family from Nova Scotia which included Anthony Morse and Rhoda Morrison (1800-1843). It listed Rhoda Morrison's parents as James Morrison and Mary Whitwell with no dates or detail. Has anyone come across these names before?

I did note in the archives that Joe Carlson's research on Fernando Morse in the Civil War listed his name as Fernando Whitwell Morse.

I do know that the surname Whitwell turns up in the town of Freetown, MA, but have not found anything relevant.

While both the Morrison and Whitwell surnames appear in the New England area, they are also surnames of new immigrants to the United States from the British Isles. They are also surnames that surface in many genealogies from Tennessee.

All ideas and info welcome!

Regards--Cynthia

P.S. I did find a Mary Whitwell born in 1774 in Freetown to Oliver Whitwell and Hannah Read as a possible ancestor.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

I came upon a response to a post by sguthmann on the Morse Society Anthony forum. I never realized Rhoda's sister Mary had married Anthony Morse's brother Charles.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks Cynthia!

Yes, Our Joe's newer tree does have Charles married to Mary Morrison.
His updated tree was not ready for publication at the time- Hatchet, June/July 2004, so the verified tree was published. The verification of that one, between us, took 3 months.
After that we went on to other things, but we both are still interested in the Morse tree.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Kat--please see my posts at Morse Society Anthony line.

May be duplicating Joe's work (The Hatchet date above was before my joining--I may have, though, on the disk I bought). I was just getting into genealogy when I joined.

Found James Morrison in Somerset in the 1800 and 1810 Mass. census. Couldn't find him in 1790 or 1820. (Joe, if I'm wrong, set me on the right course.)

In 1800 James Morrison's entry was 1 male between ages 26-44, 2 females under 10 and 1 female between 26-44.

IN 1810, however, the entry for James Morrison has 1 males between ages 26-44, 5 females under 10, 1 female between 26-44 and 2 females age 45 and up.

I would speculate that either Morrison or his wife lost their father, and mother (and possibly aunt) moved in. The increase in female children interested me. If they did not die in childhood but lived to marry like Rhoda/Rhody and Mary, they would not carry the Morrison name. Maybe this is my missing link to the Robinson cousins? I haven't gotten far with Bordens or Morses tied to Robinsons. Maybe my luck will change.
Kat

Re: Rhoda (aka Rhody) Morrison

Post by Kat »

nbcatlover @ Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:16 pm wrote:Came across a genealogy of a family from Nova Scotia which included Anthony Morse and Rhoda Morrison (1800-1843). It listed Rhoda Morrison's parents as James Morrison and Mary Whitwell with no dates or detail. Has anyone come across these names before?

I did note in the archives that Joe Carlson's research on Fernando Morse in the Civil War listed his name as Fernando Whitwell Morse.

All ideas and info welcome!

Regards--Cynthia

P.S. I did find a Mary Whitwell born in 1774 in Freetown to Oliver Whitwell and Hannah Read as a possible ancestor.
--partial from Cynthia

I've just spent 2 days looking to prove a connection between Mary Morrison and Rhody Morrison. Something in a genealogical book or newspaper item of birth, marriage or death. Nada.

All I "found" was thru LDS- but I always verify that. This hasn't been verified. But I did find the MARY WHITWELL, but as born 1776. Otherwise she matches your find. Same parents, etc.
I agree the "Whitwell" name is very probably passed to Fernando Morse, the last child born of Rhody Morrison Morse before she died.

But there is no proof of kinship between Mary Morrison and Rhody Morrison. And their bith dates have quite a spead of years between them, as do their marriage dates:
Rhody born 1800 and married 1822.
Mary born 1811 and married 1837.
I realize if there was a large family, it's possible, but I'm finding brick walls everywhere.
Rhody can be found but not Mary. Even that "Kinship" sheet of JVM doesn't say if they are related.

If this info is on the Family Morse site, how would they know for sure themselves?
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

I've been hitting a lot of dead ends as well. The Whitwells from Rochester seem to disappear. Several married Reads. I don't know if they were Tory sympathiers who went to Canada or if they moved west to the settlements in New York.

How did Joe Carlson arrive at the conclusion Mary was Rhoda's sister. It make sense, since many sisters married brothers in the same family.

I've been chasing a Charles Morse who lived in Fairhaven the same time George Morse (who Morse Society acknowledged as Anthony's kin). This Charles was married to Mary and they had 3 children, Betsy, Charles, and Emma. However there were several Charles Morses living in the area at the time.

The one thing we know for sure is that Charles Morse was living in Warren, Rhode Island, in 1892 because Uncle John testified he visited him.

I've been searching several Morrison lines and suspect that there were several other sisters who may have died young and a possible brother named James. But it's mostly rumor and family stories, no definitive proof as of now.

I have recently come to believe, however, that the Robinson counsins are not tield to the Morrisons but are related through the Morse-Gardner connection. Again, no proof, but I'm hitting dead ends everywhere.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks for the input. I did not check the Morse site for your note or sguthman's.

Joe didn't have Mary Morrison as Rhody's sister, he only had her as wife to Charles. I think it was Terence who made that leap, but I have lost track temporarily of his reference. That's why I'm still looking. Boy those Reads sure get around! :smile:
joe

Post by joe »

Isn't genealogy fun, Cynthia? Keep up your searching. Whenever I think I've exhausted all sources, another one shows up.
Kat was correct that I was unable to connect Mary to Rhody. I don't believe we know how Terence came to that conclusion, do we Kat?
Joe
'97 Harley Road King with Gramma in the sidecar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. ~ Edgar A. Poe
Kat

Post by Kat »

I'm still looking. Well, not actively- but keeping my eyes peeled. If I run back into Ter's reference to them as sisters I'll let ya'll know! :wink:
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

It's on the Morse Socieity site. Rhoda's Parents James and Mary amd Rhoda's sister Mary married Anthony's brother Charles.
Kat

Post by Kat »

It may be but what proof do they show, do you know? I've been looking in books, and in textual trees in (extended Morse family) handwriting etc. not finding it.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Where did you get 1811 for the birth year of Mary, Charles' wife? Her age in one Massachusetts census I found would have had her born in 1809.

Unfortunately, I've been working a lot--haven't had the time or energy to go running to Warren or Rochester to check out records there. There is next to nothing on the internet to help. One of my original sources of leads has been pulled. Even today, there are people who don't like the Morrison-Morse connections to Lizzie being examined.
joe

Post by joe »

Vital Records from Providence show marriage
1822 MORRISON MORRISON Rhoda and Anthony Morse, by John Mason, Esq., at Somerset, Nov. 10, 1822
'97 Harley Road King with Gramma in the sidecar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. ~ Edgar A. Poe
Kat

Post by Kat »

nbcatlover @ Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:23 am wrote:Where did you get 1811 for the birth year of Mary, Charles' wife? Her age in one Massachusetts census I found would have had her born in 1809.
--partial

Our Joe has it on his Vinnicum Tree. I had not verified it with him- it was a working copy he developed from somewhere, and I just recently pulled it out of my computer and printed it. I had never examined it before. I have a handwritten copy of a textual tree that I got from the folks at the FRHS in 2004, called "Record of the Descendents of John and Susannah Tripp Morse."
I wrote that title at the top. I had not used it much. There are 5 pages and I will say there are a couple of date mistakes on page 4.

In that text it also gives Mary Morrison as married to Charles.
It says "Page 7," and lists Charles as #6, born Nov. 7, 1809, married Jan. 8, 1837, Mary Morrison born Dec. 20, 1811 died July 31, 1892. (Page 7).
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

I don't know how many times I've looked at this, but I never paid attention to Mary Morrison Morse's date of death--just 4 days before the murders. I wonder if Mary's death was the so-called "trigger"which caused the murders.

We know Uncle John visited his Uncle Charles in Warren, but it is unclear to me whether Lizzie was aware that she had her mother's relatives living so close by.

The 1880 census show a Charles & Mary of appx the same age living in Cumberland, RI, and having 2 grown daughters living at home. (Cumberland was once part of Rehoboth, MA).

Household Record 1880 United States Census

Search results | Download Previous Household Next Household

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Household:

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
Charles MORSE Self M Male W 70 MA B & I Maron MA RI
Mary MORSE Wife M Female W 68 MA Keeping House MA MA
Elizabeth MORSE Dau S Female W 42 MA Housework MA MA
Henrietta MORSE Dau S Female W 37 MA Housework MA ---

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Census Place Cumberland, Providence, Rhode Island
Family History Library Film 1255214
NA Film Number T9-1214
Page Number 160D

From Rebello, pg. 230:
"Lizzie has always been a peculiar woman and...her entire life had been characterized by the calm and cool demeanor which is considered evidence of guilt by the police." Henrietta and Elizabeth Morse, cousins of John V. Morse, Fall River Daily Herald, August 11, 1892.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Descendants of Holm. Reade

1 Holm. Reade
........ 2 John Reade - 1721
............ +Hannah
................... 3 John Reade
....................... +Mary Pearce
............................. 4 Joseph Reade 1700 -
................................. +Grace Pray
........................................ 5 Hannah Reade
............................................ +Oliver Whitwell (midshipman on the sloop "Providence")
.................................................. 6 Mary Whitwell 1776-1844
...................................................... +James Morrison
............................................................. 7 Rhoda Morrison 1801-1843
................................................................. +Anthony Morse 1800 - 1878
........................................................................ 8 Sarah Anthony Morse 1823 - 1863
............................................................................ +Andrew Jackson Borden 1822 - 1892
.................................................................................. 9 Emma Lenore Borden 1851 - 1925
.................................................................................. 9 Lizzie Andrew Borden 1860 - 1927
........................................................................ 8 Unknown Morse 1825 -
........................................................................ 8 Hannah M. Morse 1827 - 1840
........................................................................ 8 Frederick A. Morse
........................................................................ 8 Mary Louisa Morrison (Morse) Morse 1831 - 1911
........................................................................ 8 William Bradford Morse
........................................................................ 8 John Vinnicum Morse
........................................................................ 8 Orin F. Morse
........................................................................ 8 Selecta Richmond Morse
........................................................................ 8 Fernando Whitwell Morse
........................................ 5 Joseph Reade 1735 - 1793
............................................ +Mary Cornell
.................................................. 6 Sarah Reade
...................................................... +Enoch French
............................. 4 Oliver Reade 1701 -
................................. +Martha Durfee
........................................ 5 Daughter Reade
............................................ +Samuel Weaver
........................................ 5 Jonathan Reade 1737 -
............................................ +Eunice Weaver
.................................................. 6 Hannah Reade
...................................................... +James Whitwell

NOTE WELL: Not verified from primary sources

I believe I have entered the right Morse children for Anthony + Rhoda, with Arabella and Alvarado being 1/2 siblings by Hannah Chase Almy.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Eureka! I found it! I had gotten exerpts of AN AMERICAN ANCESTRY from a Read/Reade genealogy site. Now I've found the actual book, and it's the mother lode.

Descendants of James Morrison

1 James Morrison
.. +Mary Whitwell 1776 - 1844
........ 2 Hannah Morrison
........ 2 Rhoda Morrison 1801 -
............ +Anthony Morse 1800 - 1878
................... 3 Sarah Anthony Morse 1823 - 1863
....................... +Andrew Jackson Borden 1822 - 1892
................................ 4 Emma Lenore Borden 1851 - 1925
................................ 4 Lizzie Andrew Borden 1860 - 1927
....................... 3 Unknown Morse 1825 -
....................... 3 Hannah M. Morse 1827 - 1840
....................... 3 Frederick A. Morse
....................... 3 Mary Louisa Morrison (Morse) Morse 1831 - 1911
....................... 3 William Bradford Morse
....................... 3 John Vinnicum Morse
....................... 3 Orin F. Morse
....................... 3 Selecta Richmond Morse
....................... 3 Fernando Whitwell Morse
........ 2 Hannah Morrison 1803 -
........ 2 Louise Morrison 1803 -
........ 2 Clarissa Morrison 1806 - 1867
............ +John Brown
........ 2 Barthana Morrison 1809 -
........ 2 Mary Morrison 1811 -
........ 2 Mary Morrison 1813 - 1891
............ +Charles Morse
........ 2 Catherine Morrison 1815 -
............ +Joseph Boodry
................... 3 Charles Boodry 1848 -
................... 3 Jerusha Boodry 1849 -
................... 3 Willis Boodry 1859 - 1859
................... 3 George F. Boodry

NOTE: MORSE SIBLINGS NOW UPDATED FOR NAMES.

The book is

AN AMERICAN ANCESTRY by Anne Warner, 1869-1913 (aka Anne Richmond Warner French)

It's located at Archives of American Libraries online.

http://www.archive.org/details/americanancestry00warn

See page 130.

Note that this books says Mary Morrison Morse died in 1891, and Aunt Boudray is spelled Boodry here, but it's got a lot of new information from my perspective. But it's like Hattie Borden Weld--everything isn't perfect.

The Boodry spelling is correct. Joseph was born in Dighton in 1815 and supposedly was living in Tiverton in the 1860s. The original Boodrys were transplanted Acadian (like Evangeline).
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks Cynthia!
I was going to ask if you verified any of this, but I see your disclaimer.

We have all the Morse siblings- do you have the Hatchet of June/July 2004 and the article is "The Elusive John Morse."

If you don't have that tree our Joe made (pgs. 20-21), let me know!

I see the Boodry and the Morrison. Thanks again!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Folks, we are talking about this connection:

Inquest
Morse
96/3
Q. The last time you were there before this murder was when?
A. I should think somewhere about the 10th of July.
Q. How long did you stay then?
A. I did not stay but a short time. I was here over night, but I went down to an Aunt’s on the Stafford Road at that time.
Q. What is her name?
A. Catherine Boudray.
Q. Before that, can you recall the last time you were there?
A. It was somewhere the last of June. I know Phebe Curry was sick at that time, she died a little afterwards, I think about the last of June.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

I have the article--I just haven't had the time to download it, sort the information, sort the Morse kids by mother....I spent most of my day looking at Morrisons.

The Morses are almost irrelevant...it was actually finding things that listed the elusive Rhoda. I've always felt that she was an intentional dead-end, where certain families didn't want the Lizzie stigma.

The source of the book was the shelves of the BPL.
I'll crack up if I find its in the NBPL Genealogy Room.

Lizzie could have been a DAR lady courtesy of Oliver Whitwell.
Kat

Post by Kat »

For some reason, Our Joe and I had been chasing Catherine Boodry. He sent me his genealogical files with the census pictures and there she was in Fall River in the 1880 census as Mother-in-law to John Shaw.

Now, that has confused me because that John Shaw is shown as born Mass. and father from R.I. and mother from R.I. That's not the confusing part: The confusing part is that Selecta Morse married Philip Shaw (b. 1838) who was out of Maine.
I have yet to connect John Shaw (b. 1847) of Fall River with the Maine Shaws. (It might be easily done but I've only gotten to this point tonight.)

So before further research- if we assume the John Shaw and the Philip Shaw are related, then Catherine Boodry would be an in-law to JVM thru his sister Selecta, to start with, at least.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Here is Catherine Boodry listing from 1850 census.
There is Mary Morrison- and there is a "Read.".

I was looking for the "Isaac Cook" Catherine picked up along the way. He is living in her household in the 1860, 1870 and 1880 census.

1850 United States Federal Census
about Catherine Boodry
Name: Catherine Boodry
Estimated birth year: abt 1814
Birth Place: Massachusetts
Home in 1850(City,County,State): Tiverton, Newport, Rhode Island
Family Number: 122
Household Members:
Name Age

Joseph Boodry 35
Catherine Boodry 36
Jerusha Anna Boodry 0
Elisa Read 16
Mary Morrison 76
Charles W Boodry 3
Kat

Post by Kat »

So is Catherine Boodry related to John V.Morse thru the Mary Morrison connection as well?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Here is Catherine Boodry~ I think Diana will like this too! :smile:

If one clicks on a picture it will open in another window, as larger. Then if you click again, it will enlarge further for easier reading.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Catherine Boodry in 1860
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Catherine Boodry in 1870, on 2 pages

Page 1 at very bottom
Kat

Post by Kat »

Catherine Boodry 1870, page 2 at very top (con't)
Kat

Post by Kat »

Catherine Boodry 1880
Kat

Post by Kat »

If one clicks on the picture, it opens in another window, as larger, of course. There also seems to be the ability to enlarge the view further by clicking again on the new version.
Kat

Post by Kat »

OK Cynthia, I've been dense! Oh blame it on the pumpkin pie! :smile:

I see you show Catherine Boodry as maiden name Catherine Morrison- so she is sister to Rhody and to Mary. She is a direct aunt of John Vinnicum Morse, his mother Rhody's sister (who was the first wife of Anthony Morse).

Whew! Good Job! Yay!
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

ID: I086928
Name: John O. Shaw
Sex: M
Name: O. John Shaw
Birth: 8 AUG 1843 in Tiverton (location obtained from his marriage record), Newport County, Rhode Island, USA
Death: AFT 1880 in of Fall River, Bristol County, Massachusetts, USA
Reference Number: SHAW86928
Note:
1880 Census Place: Fall River, Bristol, Massachusetts
Source: FHL Film 1254524 National Archives Film T9-0524 Page 357D
Relation Sex Marr Race Age Birthplace
O.John SHAW Self M M W 33 MA
Occ: Nailer Fa: RI Mo: RI
Jerusha SHAW Wife F M W 30 RI
Occ: Keep House Fa: RI Mo: RI
Catherine BOODRY MotherL F W 66 MA
Occ: At Home Fa: MA Mo: MA
Isaac M. COOK Other M W 53 RI
Occ: Farmer Fa: RI Mo: RI

Father: Peleg S. SHAW b: 17 NOV 1809 in Tiverton, Newport County, Rhode Island, USA
Mother: Amy Durfee b: 8 OCT 1808 in Tiverton, Newport County, Rhode Island, USA

Marriage 1 Jerusha Anna Boodry b: ABT 1849 in of Rhode Island, USA
Married: 21 DEC 1870 in Fall River, Bristol County, Massachusetts, USA 1
Event: Justice of the Peace 21 DEC 1870 in J. A. Mc Kenzie, Clergyman

Sources:
Title: Massachusetts Marriages, Bristol County, Fall River City Hall Vital Records, 1870
Page: Volume 226, Page 102, No. 227

This is spouse information from a search on Jerusha Boodry on RootsWeb WorldConnect.

The following is from
The Descendants of Thomas Durfee of Portsmouth, R.I. by William Field Reed.
It can be Googled.
547. Durfee, Amy (William 5th, Job 4th, Job 3d, Thomas 2d, Thomas 1st). Daughter of William and Hannah (Clark) Durfee, of Tiverton, R. I., born in Tiverton, R. I. October 8, 1808; died in Steep Brook, North Fall River, Mass., June 10, 1893; married at 1st Christian Church in Fall River, Mass., October 10, 1833, to Peleg Shaw, of Taunton, Mass., son of John Oliver Shaw; born November 17, 1809; died in Fall River, Mass., September 23, 1869.

Their children were:

I.—Amy A. Shaw, born September 6, 1835; died September 10, 1835.

II.—Anna M. Shaw, born April 14, 1837; died October 20,1838.

III.—Peleg F. Shaw, born August 27, 1839; died October 29, 1862.

IV.—Frederick J. Shaw, born September 9, 1841.

V.—John 0. Shaw, born August 8, 1843.

VI.—Joseph A. Shaw, born October 8, 1845; died November 21,1847.

VII.—William T. Shaw, born February 23, 1848. VIII.—Charles A. Shaw, born November 27, 1851.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Catherine Boodry in the Fall River City Directory, 1892
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Just as a point of information, on the
Boodry Forum at genealogy.com, one post says Catherine Morrison was Joseph Boodry's 2nd wife. He was previously married to Jerusha Manchester.

There is also another Joseph Boodry married to a Catherine in Maine.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

DELETE
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Morrison, Morrisson,Morison, Moreson, Mooreson, Moryson, Morrowson--it's so hard to find James Morrison, Lizzie's great-grandfather (and the most-likely Scottish link). It seems that the spelling of the name to Morrison wasn't standardized in Scotland until the 1800s.

Did find his marriage to Mary Whitwell while looking through a book of Freetown V.S. Their reference was based on the town of Somerset's records.

"Morrowson, James of Som. and Mary Whitwell of Freetown, January 21, 1798 by Elder Philip Stead (Somerset record)."
Allen

Post by Allen »

I'm not sure if or how this fits into your genealogy research. I'm sure you all are way ahead of me on this subject I'm only getting started. But I have a Rhoda Morse listed in both the 1860-1870 census living in the household with a Sydney L. Morse and his family. Is this your Rhoda (Morrison) Morse? Some of the handwriting is hard to make out for me. So I may have transcribed some of this incorrectly. I am attaching a copy of the original record also.

1860 Shows the following household members:

Sydney L. Morse age 41
Cementha R. (? hard to make out for me) Morse age 42
Jenetta A. Morse age 14
Charles L. Morse age looks like 1. (small loop at bottom makes me wonder if it's not age 6)
Rhoda Morse age 73

1870 shows the following household members:

Sydney L. Morse age 50 occupation (looks like) works on jewelry.
Camantha age 51 occupation keeping house.
Nettie A. age 23 listed as at home.
Charles S. Morse age 16 listed as goes to school.
Rhoda Morse age 83 listed as at home.

"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Thanks for your interest, Allen. Anthony Morse's first wife, Rhoda Morrison, only lived from 1801-1843.

Do you know where in Mass. this family is from? The jewelry work makes me think Attleboro.
Allen

Post by Allen »

Yes this family lived in Attleboro. The listing for this Rhoda Morse is also listed in the thread Wilmarth.
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Allen

Post by Allen »

This is a death certificate for a woman named Mary L. Morse born January 18, 1831 and dying on September 6, 1911. Her parents are listed as Anthony and Rhoda Morrison Morse. She was widowed at the time of her death. The informant for the certificate is listed as given by Joseph Morse. She died of cerebral apoplexy due to chronic nephritis, and is buried at Oak Grove Cemetery. I noticed you had her listed in the family tree and I thought it might be neat to add an actual vital record to the mix.
Last edited by Allen on Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allen

Post by Allen »

1850 Census records for the Anthony Morse household in Little Compton, Newport, Rhode Island:

Anthony Morse age 50 occupation Farmer.
Hannah C. Morse age 38 .
John V. Morse age 17 listed as a laborer.
Selecta R. - age 11.
Fernando W. age 9.
Arabella F. age 3.
Alvarado K. - age 9 months.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Allen wrote:1850 Census records for the Anthony Morse household in Little Compton, Newport, Rhode Island:

Anthony Morse age 50 occupation Farmer.
Hannah C. Morse age 38 .
John V. Morse age 17 listed as a laborer.
Selecta R. - age 11.
Fernando W. age 9.
Arabella F. age 3.
Alvarado K. - age 9 months.
Great find, Allen. You've been doing some good research,

Would those last three names indicate some Latin influence?
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Allen

Post by Allen »

The children I've been researching so far for Anthony Morse and Rhoda Morrison are Sarah Anthony, John V., Mary L, Selecta R., and William Bradford Morse. Anthony and Rhoda were married November 10, 1822 in Swansea, Massachusetts according to the marriage record I found. Anthony Morse married Hannah C. Almy on May 15, 1844. His parents are listed as Joseph and Sarah L. Morse. Hannah's parents are listed Benjamin and Ruth Almy. I would like to find the decedents of all the Morse children which was my aim. So far I've traced Selecta to Abingdon, Cedar Township, Knox County, Illinois, where she married a man named Phillip Shaw. The only children I've found documentation for so far are Henry L. and Emma E. I'm taking it those are the cousins who filed against Emma's will. These would've been her first cousins.
shaw.jpg
A newspaper report in Rebello that was published June 30, 1927 in the Girard Press, of Girard, Kansas.

Rebello page 342:

Henry L. Shaw, a farmer living near here, and four sisters and a brother have filed suit in Boston, Massachusetts, to break the will of their cousin Miss Emma L. Borden, by which she disposed of her estate...etc.
Last edited by Allen on Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Allen

Post by Allen »

1880 Census for the Shaw Household in Cedar Township, Knox County, Illinois.

Philip R. Shaw age 42 occupation listed as Farmer.
Selecta R. Shaw age 41, occupation keeping house.
Amy E. Shaw age 13.
Henry L. age 12.
Eva M. age 10.
Julia L. age 5.
Selecta Shaw age 3.
John W. age 1.
George Andrews age 18 occupation works on farm.
shaw3.jpg
Allen

Post by Allen »

I also found this death record for your Catherine Morrison Boodry. She died in Fall River in 1899 at age 86 of "senile debility". The estimated birth year is 1813. Her street address is listed as 1038 Stafford Rd. She is widowed, and was born in Somerset, Massachusetts. Her parent's are James who was born in Somerset, Massachusetts, and Mary Whitwell who was born in Fall River, Massachusetts. Her spouse is listed as Joseph Boodry.
death2.jpg
The actual hit itself is easier to read. This is just a summary, to read the actual record you click a link.
death.jpg
Allen

Post by Allen »

I found another child of James Morrison and Mary Whitwell. It shows up in the search as Aanasy H. Morrison Bowrn, born in Somerset, Massachusetts about 1807. Her parents are listed as James Morrison born in Somerset, and Mary Whitwell born in Fall River. She died on 09 Feb 1868, in Somerset. The handwriting on most of the record is easy to make out, but in the actual name itself it's kind of illegible. I'm wondering if it wasn't mistaken. Could the last name have been Bowen? What about the first name?
childofjamesandmary.jpg
childofjameandmary2.jpg
Matt1979

Post by Matt1979 »

I have been reading about the brothers and sisters of Sarah Anthony Morse recently and I was surprised about how little information there is online. I saw in a post on here that one of the siblings' name isn't known. Has their name since been found?

I have never seen any references to Lizzie or Emma having contact with their mother's brothers and sisters with the obvious exception of Uncle John.