To B. M. C. Durfee

Here is where you can discuss Fall River and Borden genealogy and family history!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Kat

To B. M. C. Durfee

Post by Kat »

Here is a rather complicated tree that encompasses Col. Richard Borden, his sister Phebe and his nephew Holder Borden (who died very very rich). The tree ends at B.M.C. Durfee, who Forbes calls "The Richest Boy" in 1851, at age 7.

I made this tree while checking Mr. Caplain's recent article on The History of Fall River in the current August issue of The Hatchet, called "When Cotten Was King."
I always learn so much from Mr. Caplain!
(Peck&Earl,1877)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard

Post by Richard »

B.M.C. Durfee is a fascinating character, although there is little evidence he really ever did anything in his short life span. During the tour of the Historical Society you can see his death mask made by his mother, and a few paintings from various ages of his life. Also a marble bust on the ground floor just outside the Lizzie Borden Room.
A book shall be an axe for the frozen sea within us -- Franz Kafka
Kat

Post by Kat »

Hi Richard!

I've taken the ground floor tour at the Historical Society but have not been upstairs! :wink:
Richard

Post by Richard »

It's in the upstairs (they only allow to the second floor) that you can see B.M.C. Durfee's death mask. And another painting of him.

There's also a wonderful room devoted to the history of McWhirr's department store, as well as a room devoted to the history of the Fall River Line. It's worth the hike up the stairs.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Richard (or anyone in the know)---do they still have the wonderful display of Victorian funeral items, or perhaps that was only a temporary exhibit?
Richard

Post by Richard »

I believe in the upstairs room with the death mask is some other items relatined to funerals and mourning.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

How did they make those death masks? What did they put on BMC
Durfee's to make the mask? I saw it recently and was just curious as
to how it was done.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I think it was simply just made from wax or plastic placed over the dead person's face. I was told by the tour guide at the FRHS that one of the paintings of BMC was painted from the death mask.