Chasing Trickey's Chace

Here is where you can discuss Fall River and Borden genealogy and family history!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

nbcatlover

Chasing Trickey's Chace

Post by nbcatlover »

Help me out, Fall River Folk. I believe Oliver Chace, the first member of the Chase family to spell the name with a "c", was the founder of the Chace Mills.

Oliver Chace was also involved in the founding of the Union Savings Bank along with Thomas Borden and others...the bank of which Andrew was president at the time he died.

See:
http://www.citizensunionbank.com/inner/history.asp

Perhaps "Frederick" in Trickey's article was the red herring. Perhaps it is one of Oliver's sons who was the source of Trickey's story. These Chaces' descendents were prominently tied to Berkshire Hathaway. They were prominent enough to hide their identities from the press.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Chace

I believe Oliver Chace, who died in 1852, had sons named Oliver Jr.. and Harvey, and possibly a son or grandson named Jonathan. I believe they were Quakers. I can't find a good source to verify this. Does anyone have any info they can share on Oliver's descendents who would be of an age close to Andrew Borden's?

This article doesn't help me with my question and it doesn't mention Chace Mills in Fall River, but it does show the Chace family had a lot of clout and still does.

http://www.projo.com/business/johnkostr ... efc99.html

The Chace Mills:
http://www.allposters.com/gallery.asp?a ... d%3D887046

Late edit--just found this profile of progenitor Oliver:
http://homepage.mac.com/joepowers/mill/olchace.html
Kat

Post by Kat »

At the Keeley Library online there is:
A Centennial History of Fall River, Mass. : Comprising a Record of Its Corporate Progress from 1656 to 1876, With Sketches of Its Manufacturing Industries, Local and General Characteristics, Valuable Statistical Tables, etc. / prepared under the direction of a committee of the city government, by Henry H. Earl. -- New York : Atlantic Publishing and Engraving Co., 1877.
252 p. : ill., map ; 31 cm.
ttp://www.sailsinc.org/Durfee/fulltext.htm#books

There is "Chace" in the Index, pages 15/18/21/23/136 and info on Chace Mills at 113/141.

Same link, there is this info on Chace Mills:

History of Fall River / prepared under the direction of a committee of prominent citizens appointed by His Honor Mayor John T. Coughlin by Henry M. Fenner, A. B., assisted by Benjamin Buffinton. -- New York : F. T. Smiley Publishing Co., 1906.
364 p. : ill., ports. ; 28 cm.
--Page 83 on Chace Mills with some people named Chace mentioned

There might be more references there but I am only looking in these Index- other books are full downloads.
Phillips History is well-represented with Chace(s)- I took a desktop photo of that Index for you. Same link.
Will post that next.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Here is the Index of Phillips History Of Fall River on Chace, from Keeley Library Online (see link above):

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
william

Post by william »

Kat,

As a side issue, it is interesting to note that the the Centennial History was publixhed under the auspices of the City of Fall River. Only sixty copies of the book were printed, at a total cost of three thousand dollars.

Fifty dollars a copy - pretty pricey for a book in 1877.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Yes, NBCATLOVER:

I knew I should have not visted here. Heritage is not my game and I dislike getting involved. But, here is a little History.

Oliver Chace, the first to change from an "s" to a "c", was born in 1796 and had 7 kids. One of them was named Oliver, another Harvey, along with a son named Jonathan.

Oliver Chace, s to a c, the father, was co-founder of Troy Mills in Fall River.

His son Oliver's claim to fame was as manager of the Fall River Manufacturers Mutual Insurance Company.

Now, as for the Chace Mills. It was founded in 1872 and it's first president was one Augustus Chace. But in checking the Chase Genealogy from 1630 to 1876 there is no mention or appearance of a "Augustus Chace" anywhere in the Chase/Chace Genealogy.

At this time, without any further study, I can only assume that Augustus was not born to the original Chase/Chace, or to Oliver with a "c".
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

The Centenniel History of Fall River doesn't open from the sailsinc. org link anymore. It is, however, on googlebooks at:

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id= ... 9A#PPP1,M1

I knew you would give me some leads. I had already been checking out Oliver Chace with no success in tying his family to Andrew Borden. I had done some searches on Samuel Chace as well. They were very upright and interested in human rights. His wife, Elizabeth Buffum Chace, was the noted abolitionist and also started the first kindergarten in Rhode Island.

Augustus Chace is a new name for me. Wonder if he ties to Frederick Chace from Westport?

Another interesting aside is S. Angier Chace who had severe financial problems.

See:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.h ... 8383669FDE

One of his creditors was Union Mills. They had 1/2 million dollar debt not honored by the court in 1878. This guy could not have been popular!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

When the book FALL RIVER CENTENNIAL A HISTORY OF FALL RIVER came out in 1877 it did so in two editions. One Is called by the title above and the other was called FALL RIVER AND IT'S INDUSTRIES. Both books are almost identical, same plates, binding etc. Except that FALL RIVER AND IT'S INDUSTRIES contains the genealogy and family trees of Durfee, Chase, Borden, Anthony, and I forget who else.

Why the double publication in the same year is not known to me, or which was actually published first.

:study:
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Augustus Chace was from Freetown, not Fall River, though Freetown boarders FR. This genealogy article has a great story of why the Chase/Chace name changed in this area. Now it can be blamed on the Revolutionary War. (Locally, everyone knew both spellings were still relatives--both Dartmouth & Freetown have lots of Chase/Chace references).

See:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~stubchace/quahog1.htm

There's also a factually inaccurate' but funny, Lizzie the Witch Story. I particularly liked the thought of Emma using Voodoo. It's part of Col.
Chace's "childhood memories."

See:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~stubchace/witches.htm
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

http://books.google.com/books?id=uauYBO ... wqhc&hl=en

Check out The Tecumseh Mills. Augustus Chase was in business with James W. Hartley, father of Lizzie's cousin--Grace Hartley Howe. Note the "Lincoln" factor also tied to this Chace.
Kat

Post by Kat »

mbhenty @ Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:33 pm wrote::smile:

Yes, NBCATLOVER:

I knew I should have not visted here. Heritage is not my game and I dislike getting involved. But, here is a little History.

Oliver Chace, the first to change from an "s" to a "c", was born in 1796 and had 7 kids. One of them was named Oliver, another Harvey, along with a son named Jonathan.

Oliver Chace, s to a c, the father, was co-founder of Troy Mills in Fall River.

His son Oliver's claim to fame was as manager of the Fall River Manufacturers Mutual Insurance Company.

Now, as for the Chace Mills. It was founded in 1872 and it's first president was one Augustus Chace. But in checking the Chase Genealogy from 1630 to 1876 there is no mention or appearance of a "Augustus Chace" anywhere in the Chase/Chace Genealogy.

At this time, without any further study, I can only assume that Augustus was not born to the original Chase/Chace, or to Oliver with a "c".
Thanks MB, can you give your source please? Thanks again!
(If I missed it, I'm very sleepy-sorry)
william

Post by william »

There is a memoir by James Chace about his family; "What We Had," published by Summit Books.

Also an interesting write-up about the book previously mentioned, "The Centennial History," in volume one, page 1308 of "Victorian Vistas," authored by was Phiilp T. Silvia Jr.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes William: Good to see you posting.

It would probably be wrong for me to equitably comment on James Chace's book, but there is no real history in it. That is to say, history about the Chase linage or the Chace family in Fall River.

It is a memoir of James Chace, his exploits, his contemporaries, etc. Of course, I have a love/hate assessment of the well to do in Fall River in this century and over Fall River's entire history.

Though the rich and powerful are fascinating to study, unless they are breaking most of life's rules, being reckless or uncommonly brave, they essentially bore me. Whether or not Mr. Chace was an interesting character, I will leave it up to those who read his book, though he did live a prerogative life. ( I only read a chapter or two 16 years ago when I purchased it and never finished it, as I do with tons of books.)

But, in all fairness I should try reading it again.

Scanning over it now, I find little reason for any one interested in Fall River History to acquire Chace's book, unless they love reading biographies.

There is a fair amount on Fall River and vicinity, it appears easy, no nonsense, a casual light read, with chapters such as: BURYING HOLLY AND MILDRED, REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR and LOOKING FOR BILLIE HOLIDAY.

His writing style is uncomplicated and informal and the book is not very long, only 186 pages. Basically the narrative is about life and how James Chace experienced it.

So, NOT liking and reading very few biographies in my time, I can not comment whether it is worth picking up, but there is no Fall River or Chace history as a whole.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

http://www.sailsinc.org/Durfee/fulltext.htm#books

Trying address with "h" added at front.
Sorry it was left off.

Edit here: The Centennial book downloaded for me- 303 pages of pdf.

I gave specific page numbers so that you would not need the whole book, just the chapter the pages were in.
Kat

Post by Kat »

MB you've got Chace info and facts- may we have the source? Thanks!
Kat

Post by Kat »

William- I keep fogetting about Victorian Vistas! Thanks for reminding us! I don't have them anymore.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes KAT:

FALL RIVER AND IT'S INDUSTRIES, Frederick M. Peck and Henry H. Earl, Atlantic Publishing and Engraving Co. New York; Benjamin Earl & Son, Fall River, Mass. 1877

:study:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Kat

Post by Kat »

:butterfly:
Ahhh..you showed me your books! Thanks- that is neat!