Abby's mom--Sarah Sawyer

Here is where you can discuss Fall River and Borden genealogy and family history!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

joe

Abby's mom--Sarah Sawyer

Post by joe »

Oliver Gray, Abby's dad, wed Sarah Sawyer about 1819. She was born in Little Compton, RI about 1795-1796. Does anyone know anything about Sarah's ancestors?
'97 Harley Road King with Gramma in the sidecar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. ~ Edgar A. Poe
augusta

Post by augusta »

All I got is page 23 of Rebello.

:study: Please give to the Edwin Porter Grave Site Fund.
joe

Post by joe »

I've got a little more than that, Augusta. I'll PM you later today. Wish I could find some kind soul who could get the info from the Little Compton Town Clerk.
'97 Harley Road King with Gramma in the sidecar
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. ~ Edgar A. Poe
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Hi Joe--I've been working on the Robinsons myself. While going through the Horton and Luther family genealogies, I noted a lot of Sawyers and Carpenters including a female Gray who married a Sawyer. I thought of Sarah myself.

If you want to let me know what you need I'm off on Thursday and Friday this week and could go to Little Compton for you on one of those days. It's not far from New Bedford.

Regards--Cynthia
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Since I don't have time to pursue this myself, I thought I would share these leads for others to check out in memory of Joe Carlson.

After spending 3 days checking out records for Joe in Little Compton, Westport, and Dartmouth, these are the emails I saved about the most promising information.
Thank you for all you've done, Cynthia!! And for all the helpful suggestions. I'll keep you informed if I come up with something new. And I think you're correct that Sarah was married to a Sawyer, but that wasn't her maiden name. I've checked on the first name "Sarah" from Little Compton in Ancestry , but there are so many of them. I'll investigate that more now that you found some useful info.
Kat would like you to email her, buy the way. I was on the phone with her a couple of days ago.
Joe

On Apr 19, 2008, at 1:17 PM, Cynthia Avila wrote:

Hi Joe--Ellery is listed as having died before January 19, 1839. I think you need to look for a marriage for a Prudence or a pension application in 1839 as a place to start.

I did learn that a Prudence Shaw was born in Little Compton in 1781, but no information if she survived infancy.

Regards--Cynthia
And also:
Hi Cynthia,
I found SIMMONS Capt. Gideon, of Peieg and Mary, of Hamilton, N. Y., and Mrs. Ruth Sawyer, dau. of Benjamin Stoddard and Phebe, dec., of Little Compton; m. by Rev. Mase Shepherd, April 9, 1797.
I guess this is the same family. Now to find more about a daughter, Sarah. born to Ruth and John. And when John died. Mmmmm.
Joe

On Apr 19, 2008, at 12:22 PM, Cynthia Avila wrote:

Hi Joe--you may already have this information, but it is beginning to make sense to me.

John Sawyer, son of Rev. Josiah, marries Ruth Stoddard and has 2 kids. He is MIA before April 9, 1797. Ruth Stoddard marries another man in 1797. If Ruth had a third child when her husband was missing/absent, that child might be expunged from the family records. The birth of one of Ruth's 2nd husband's kids is also being questioned--see below.

POSSIBLE PARENTS FOR SARAH SAWYER GRAY

3007. John Sawyer (Josiah Sawyer , Martha Seabury , Martha Pabodie , Elizabeth Alden , John ) was born on 19 Sep 1759 in Little Compton, Newport Co., RI. He died before 9 Apr 1797.

John married Ruth Stoddard on 3 May 1787 in Little Compton, Newport Co., RI. Ruth was born in 1759.

They had the following children:

10780 F i Phebe Sawyer was born 1 on 5 Oct 1788 in Little Compton, Newport Co., RI.

10781 M ii John Sawyer was born 1 on 22 Oct 1790 in Little Compton, Newport Co., RI.

http://www.alden.org/aldengen/pafg141.htm#26259

ONE POSSIBLE RUTH STODDARD

Re: Elijah Stoddard & Lucy Chittenden
Posted by: Roger Barber (ID *****4615) Date: December 18, 2004 at 11:51:20
In Reply to: Elijah Stoddard & Lucy Chittenden by Estella Johnson of 1545

I am writting with regard to Chester Stoddard, son of Lasmmi and Hannah Stoddard and Chester's wife Betsey SIMMONS, (all buried in Nelson twp, Kent Co MI). I am wondering if anyone has information for her father, Brownell Simmons, or more important Brownell's PARENTS who is reported on his death certificate as GIDEON AND ANNA SIMMONS. I have found a Gideon SIMMONS in NY where Brownell Simmons was born, married to a Ruth STODDARD, daughter of Benjamin and Phebe (Brownell) Stoddard. They were married in Little Compton RI in 1797, GIDEON'S second marriage. Brownell was born in NY in 1798. Brownell was married to Anna Tripp, their oldest daughter was named RUTH. Trying to prove Giddeon and Ruth are the parents of BROWNELL. A lot of names that seem to connect, but no proof. THANKS

http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bin/p ... :1310.html

Benjamin Stoddard

M

On 5 October 1752, Benjamin Stoddard married Phebe Brownell, daughter of Charles Brownell and Mary Wilbore

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... d/p104.htm
ADDRESS FOR 1790 FEDERAL CENSUS OF LITTLE COMPTON

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cenfi ... ttleco.txt

136. PHEBE8 BROWNELL (MARY (WILBOR)7 WILBER, JOSEPH (WILBOR)6, *WILLIAM (WILBOR)5, *JOHN (WILBOR)4, *JOSEPH (WILBOR)3, *NICHOLAS (WILBOR)2, *THOMAS(WILBOR)1) was born September 22, 1730 in Little Compton, Newport Co, RI, and died Unknown. She married BENJAMIN STODDARD. He was born August 23, 1725 in Little Compton, Newport Co, RI, and died Unknown.

Children of PHEBE BROWNELL and BENJAMIN STODDARD are:

i.

BROWNELL9 STODDARD, b. December 22, 1756, Little Compton, Newport Co, RI, 177919; d. June 11, 1845, Little Compton, Newport Co, RI; m. HANNAHSAWDRY, February 26, 1780, Little Compton, Newport Co, RI; d. Unknown.

More About BROWNELL STODDARD:
Burial: June 1845, Little Compton, Newport Co, RI

ii.

RUTH STODDARD, b. Abt. 1758, Little Compton, Newport Co, RI, 177919; d. Unknown; m. (1) JOHN SAWYER; d. Unknown; m. (2) GIDEON SIMMONS; d. Unknown.

iii.

PRUDENCE STODDARD, b. Abt. 1763, Little Compton, Newport Co, RI; d. Unknown.

iv.

PATIENCE STODDARD, b. Abt. 1766, Little Compton, Newport Co, RI, 177919; d. Unknown.

v.

MARY STODDARD, b. Abt. 1767, Little Compton, Newport Co, RI, 177919; d. Unknown.

vi.

PHEBE STODDARD, b. Abt. 1770, Little Compton, Newport Co, RI; d. February 15, 1804, Little Compton, Newport Co, RI.

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/us ... -0027.html

Joe--no proof but it might explain why Sarah Sawyer doesn't seem to exist...she's not really a "Sawyer." What do you think?

Regards--Cynthia
The point of the above is that both Joe and I were coming to the same conclusions. Either Sarah Sawyer was born out of wedlock (to "good" stock) or Sawyer was her married surname (and her marriage to Oliver Gray was a subsequent marriage.)

I think Joe would really enjoy having Sarah's true identity uncovered.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks for all that, Cynthia. It's hard for me to read right now- but I will get to it.
It makes me sad.

He was working on the Abbie link to the Durfee name with me. I had not done much but read his research and comment a few times before he could finish.