Lincoln Mfg. Company In Fall River

Here is where you can discuss Fall River and Borden genealogy and family history!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

GREG

Lincoln Mfg. Company In Fall River

Post by GREG »

I came across this website quite by accident and would love some help researching my great grandfather Benjamin B. Read. I came across this site while doing a google search for Leontine Lincoln. His name was mentioned several times in one of the postings and I also came across my great grandfather Benjamin Read who was the treasurer of the Lincoln Manufacturing company of Fall river. I realize that this post has nothing to do with Lizzie Borden and I apologize if this posting is misplaced. Thank you!
Harry

Post by Harry »

I don't know about finding information on your great grandfather but there are websites on the Fall River mills. According to this page the Lincoln Mfg. Co. opened in 1906 and closed in 1930:

http://homepage.mac.com/joepowers/millslst.html

That page is part of an extensive history of the mills at:

http://homepage.mac.com/joepowers/

There are references to Mr. Read at the UMass website. They may be what you have already seen on the forum messages:

http://ccbit.cs.umass.edu/lizzie/images ... 41F03.html
GREG

Post by GREG »

Thank you harry. I had not seen the umass info.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Hi GREG!
You posted in a perfect place.

Do you have genealogy info on your relative? Was he born in Fall River?

BTW: I tried your web-site address and it said I had an "error."
Kat

Post by Kat »

Is this your Read?

Name:   Benj B Read
Age in 1860:   8
Birthplace:   Massachusetts
Home in 1860:   Fall River Ward 4, Bristol, Massachusetts
Value of real estate:   View image
Post Office:   Fall River
Roll:   M653_491
Page:   262
Year:   1860
Head of Household:   Francis B Read
  Household

pleaseclickonpic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GREG

Great info!

Post by GREG »

Wow, what a find! Amazing to see a document from 1860 recording an ancestor. This information is on Benjamin Brayton Read. Do you have anything on his son, Benjamin Brayton Read Jr. born February 28, 1874 died Aug 1, 1923, married Clara Slade Cameron. They had a son (my grandfather) George Slade Read (b 1910 d. 1971). BBR Jr. seems to be a very notable character in the town of Fall River. We actually have a front page newspaper copy noting his death as "MILL AGENT PASSES AWAY"..."His unexpected death is a shock to the community" "BBR, Widely know cotton manufacturer, dies at the Union Hospital following operation (appendicitis) - organized the Lincoln Mills and was active in re-organization of Parker and Hargraves". Did the mills crumble when the town went into bankruptcy? What happened to the men of the mills when this happened? Did they pull out in time or ride them to the end? How did they survive after the Depression? We don't have much info though of George Slade Read (his son, my grandfather). Was he a part of these mills? We have references to a 'Home Depot' like establishment for George Slade. We also have reference to "The Read Corporation" and "Read & Co.". Were these "S" corporations or actual businesses?
P.S. Isn't the internet great!!!
GREG

Post by GREG »

Kat

Post by Kat »

Maybe this is your Benjamin, born 1874, in the 1910 census- Rehoboth, but still single in 1910. Since your little George was not born until 1910, it's possible:

Benjamin B Read
Age in 1910:   36
Estimated Birth Year:   1873
Birthplace:   Rhode Island
Home in 1910:   REHOBOTH, BRISTOL, Massachusetts
Race:   White
Series:   T624
Roll:   575
Part:   1
Page:   116A
Year:   1910
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Here is Clara!
1880 census, living at 5 Winter Street, Fall River, MA
The granddaughter of a Slade.

Name:   Clara CAMERON
Estimated birth year:   <1876>
Birthplace:   MASS
Relation:   GDau
Home in 1880:   Fall River, Bristol, Massachusetts
Marital status:   Single
Race:   White
Head of household:   George SLADE
Father's birthplace:   MASS
Mother's birthplace:   MASS

Image Source:   Year: 1880; Census Place: Fall River, Bristol, Massachusetts; Roll: T9_524; Family History Film: 1254524; Page: 167D; Enumeration District: 101; Image: 0334.

please click on the picture
Kat

Post by Kat »

We have a member here, "Gramma", who might be helpful in your search. She knew a "Cameron."
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

OK, I've been away very busy moving! You can imagine my surprise at this one!!!! I have no idea if Ruby's father had siblings in the area. He had served in the British Royal Navy, I believe before he came to the US. It is very possible there were other family members here or came later. This one needs to be explored!
Greg, if you are still there, email me here at the forum if you wish to discuss your family tree. I was born and brought up in Fall River and have a few resources here that may yield fruit. I'd also like to dicuss some other details with you. One of my classmates growing up was a Susan Cameron. I wonder if she ties into your line.

Gramma
She was acquitted!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Oh I was hoping Gramma would come back to this topic!
She is very helpful and good at this stuff!
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

It is nice to see Gramma back!

I hope your move was trouble free...

I HATE moving.

When we moved from Boston to Omaha was the first (of 4) time I ever heard my husband swear in the 20 years I have known him!
Gramma

Post by Gramma »

Thanks for the welcome back, guys!
Still moving and will be for at least the next hundred years I think! You are right.....moving is a pain, drag, and everything else unpleasant but the house we got is a Lizzie contemporary! It even came with blood on the floor (someone had broken the glass on the door to get in to see the place!). It is marked as 1862 on the town record but it is on an 1858 map so I think the first addition was done in 1862. I have identified the original fieldstone foundation and the actual part of the house that existed then. There are original pumpkin pine floor boards ranging in size from 12" to one a whopping 17" wide in one room. The glass beside the front door is original or close to it with all the inclusions and bubbles. There are some original doors, etc. On the other hand there have been some updates to that make life a little more comfortable like running water, a bathroom, and mid 1970's kitchen that I found out cost $10,000 way back then!.
I have the deeds back to the Civil War veteran who sold it to the Methodist Episcopal Church Campground to use as a parsonage in 1890 and they retained it until 1947 so it was a parsonage for almost 60 years!

I wish Greg would get hold of me on this Benjamin Read thing! I haven't had a chance but I think there is some Read genealogy in Mom's notebooks.

Gramma
She was acquitted!
GregR

Long time no see

Post by GregR »

Hi Gramma/Kat, it's Greg Read. Great, Great grandson of Benjamin Brayton Read. It's been quite some time since I've been on here. Time goes by too quickly these days. Busy with business and raising a family. I lost/forgot my password and went on with life for a while. Thank you all again for your help with my family. I should be on here more now that the administrator has issued me a new username and password. I look forward to speaking with you all again. Greg
Kat

Post by Kat »

Four Years??

Sorry- just had to razz you! :smile:

So you've raised a family huh? Then you've accomplished a lot!
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

http://books.google.com/books?id=GHIWAA ... -PA1407,M2

pages 1407-1408 are all about the Reads

Representative Men and Old Families of Southeastern Massachusetts: Containing Historical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families
By J.H. Beers & Co, J.H. Beers & Co
Published by J.H. Beers, 1912
Item notes: v.3
Original from Harvard University
Digitized Mar 4, 2008
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thank you for the title, vol. III.
Now I'm looking for vol.s I & II !! :smile:
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Hi Harry, This is the first that I've seen this thread. I've tried the two sites that you have listed on the mills and I get that the page can't be found. Of course then I looked at the date of that post. I've collected & taken many pictures of the mills around here where I live and now that I've been to Fall River the history sounds fascinating. Are these two sites available somewhere else or is there any books on the mills that you can recommend? Thanks
Harry

Post by Harry »

Nadzieja @ Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:19 am wrote:Hi Harry, This is the first that I've seen this thread. I've tried the two sites that you have listed on the mills and I get that the page can't be found. Of course then I looked at the date of that post. I've collected & taken many pictures of the mills around here where I live and now that I've been to Fall River the history sounds fascinating. Are these two sites available somewhere else or is there any books on the mills that you can recommend? Thanks
Lorraine, it looks like he altered the URL slightly and it now reads:

http://homepage.mac.com/joepowers/mill/index.html

This should work.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Thanks Harry, I was able to get to the site. I haven't read it all yet but found it quite interesting. I didn't realize that Fall River went through so many hard times.