Elijah Borden and Sarah Parker

Here is where you can discuss Fall River and Borden genealogy and family history!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

ahntbarbie

Elijah Borden and Sarah Parker

Post by ahntbarbie »

Elijah b. Fall River 29 May 1737, d. Pompey, Onandaga NY 25 Nat 1822, son of Joseph and Susannah Reed. Has anyone been able to locate the parents of his wife, Sarah Parker, who was born, per her gravestone, abt 1740 and d. Pompey 11 Oct 1816?

Thanks for your help.
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

No parents for Sarah, but another Borden genealogy places her birth in Tiverton, Newport, Rhode Island, same time period (no source listed).

Is Elijah Sarah's 2nd husband? There are references to her as Sarah Baker, but the marriage certficate lists her as Sarah Parker. Does the DAR have more info? Elijah was in the Revolutionary War.
ahntbarbie

Post by ahntbarbie »

As far as "Baker" is concerned, I've always held the sneaking suspicion that the contributor to the DAR might have somehow taken her data from Hattie Borden Weld! Certainly, the clerk's hand in Freetown was clear enough in writing Parker. Though I can't put my finger on it right now, I have found one other error in DAR records.

I've never found a previous marriage for Elijah - if he had one, it must have been quite short-lived as he was only 22 when he married Sarah Parker.
ahntbarbie

Post by ahntbarbie »

Just went back into the DAR records - looks like I spoke too quickly. He was married twice, it seems. It reads:
Gr.-gr.-granddaughter of ...... Elijah Borden and Sarah Baker, his wife, m. 1757. Elijah married Sarah Parker in 1759.
DAR 1944 ID# 43578
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Wow! That's 2 Sarahs in 2 years. But it 's understandable why people would think Sarah Baker had married a Parker before Elijah.
SonOfSoule

Re: Elijah Borden and Sarah Parker

Post by SonOfSoule »

Sarah Parker, daughter of Martha Barker, daughter of Susannah West, daughter of Susannah Soule, daughter of George Soule (35th signer of the Mayflower Compact). I am descendant of Sarah Borden-Parker living in Ohio where the family came via purchased land in the Western Reserve from the Connecticut Land Company (headed by Moses Cleaveland). Sarah had a daughter Mary who married Clothier Hathaway and they moved to present-day Ohio. We are still here :)