Coughlin Coughlin-Who's Got the Coughlin?

Here is where you can discuss Fall River and Borden genealogy and family history!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Kat

Coughlin Coughlin-Who's Got the Coughlin?

Post by Kat »

Did you guys know there are TWO Mayor Coughlins?

The difference is the middle initial that one may not notice at midnight after a few hours of other research. The OTHER Coughlin, John T., was actually the brother-in-law of Patrick Doherty and lived with his sister and her policeman Captain husband, and never married.

Are these John Coughlin's related, does anyone know?

(His bio material is in Fenner, which you can download from the Keeley Library online.)
Kat

Post by Kat »

http://www.sailsinc.org/durfee/fulltext.htm

History of Fall River / prepared under the direction of a committee of prominent citizens appointed by His Honor Mayor John T. Coughlin by Henry M. Fenner, A. B., assisted by Benjamin Buffinton. -- New York : F. T. Smiley Publishing Co., 1906.
364 p. : ill., ports. ; 28 cm.

See:
Chapter XVIII. Biographical Sketches of Well-Known Fall River Men, Past and Present, p. 160-258. (18,743K)

The download of the chapter is 18 MB
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

Here's the old link on Dr. John W. Coughlin. He looks more like a cleric than a doctor or a politician. I never really noticed before that he had worked in the drug store of Lizzie's neighbor, Dr. Chagnon.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~ussnei/JWCoughlin.htm

Dr. Coughlin was born June 9, 1861 to William & Abbie Coughlin. (Source: Massachusetts of Today by Daniel P. Toomey, 1893)

According to your own New Research on Patrick Doherty, John T. Coughlin and his sister Nora E. (who married Patrick) were the children of Thomas Coughlin & Margaret Foley Coughlin.

I guess we need to find out if William Coughlin & Thomas Coughlin were related. There were at least 3 Coughlin families listed in FR in the1840s and they were all supposed to be related. On a genealogy forum, the FR Coughlins were referred to as "a large brood."
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thank you so much, Cynthia! It's much appreciated!
If I have that family in *Southeast Men* I suppose I could look further there!