Florence cared for Lizzie's dogs

Here is where you can discuss Fall River and Borden genealogy and family history!

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

nbcatlover

Florence cared for Lizzie's dogs

Post by nbcatlover »

Was thinking about the Mystery Woman from the Parallel Lives tidbits when I came across this genealogy. Could it be a clew?
The second child of Hannah and Levi Pemberton was Florence Pemberton, who, like her brother, was born in the United States. Florence was born on February 9, 1891. Florence worked in Fall River, Massachusetts, caring for the dogs of Lizzie Borden from 1922 until Lizzie's death in 1927. In accordance with Lizzie's will, Florence received $2,854.47. Florence married James Metcalf, and they had one son, Sheldon Hayes Metcalf, who was born in New Bedford on June 7, 1934. Florence lived most of her life in the New Bedford area, and died at a nursing home there in May 1986, at the age of 95. She was buried at Acushnet Cemetery. Her son Sheldon, also of New Bedford, died on May 10, 2001, and was buried beside his mother at Acushnet Cemetery.
Source: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... hayes.html

Notice that Florence only died in 1986. I wonder if anyone got to interview her about her time with Lizzie. I've never seen one.
diana

Re: Florence cared for Lizzie's dogs

Post by diana »

According to Rebello, Florence Pemberton was not named in Lizzie's will but she, along with the chauffeur Ernest Terry and Matilda Johnson petitioned Probate Court under Section 2 of Lizzie's will which provided: "To my housekeeper and to each one of the servants who shall have been with me for five years and shall be in my employ at the time of my death the sum of three thousand dollars."

The three were ruled legatees by the Probate Court, but Charles Cook, Helen Leighton, and Grace Howe hired a Boston lawyer who appealed to the Supreme Judicial court which held that the three petitioners were entitled their due under Section 2 of the will. (Source: Rebello, p.327)
nbcatlover

Re: Florence cared for Lizzie's dogs

Post by nbcatlover »

Haven't been on the forum much lately. My point, from the genealogy, was Florence was still in this area and alive in 1986. Now, her family members are getting on in years and personal items/photos etc. get passed out of families. Do you think Florence could be the lady in FHS 'teaser' photo promoting Parallel Lives?