Tours in Fairhaven

Meet up, connect, make travel plans, and organize face-to-face get togethers in Fall River.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

FairhavenGuy

Tours in Fairhaven

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Well, folks, my tours began last week in Fairhaven and continue from now through the end of September.

These tours are free and last 90 minutes. They're sponsored by the Fairhaven Office of Tourism and guided by the town's Director of Tourism Chris Richard (aka FairhavenGuy).

The Henry H. Rogers tour is held Thursday mornings beginning at 10:00 a.m. at the Fairhaven Visitors Center, 43 Center Street. It deals with Standard Oil Co. millionaire H.H. Rogers and the magnificent public buildings he gave to his hometown.

In the picture, you see me (in what I call my Uncle John Morse costume) standing in front of two of the buildings Rogers gave Fairhaven. This photo was taken roughly three blocks from where Emma stayed in 1892.

My other tour is the Fort Phoenix Minuteman Tour, given each Friday morning at 10:00, starting at the Hurricane Barrier at Fort Phoenix, Fort Street. On this tour a colonial era militia man discussed the 99 year history of our fort (1777-1876). Other member of our Fairhaven Village Militia are usually on hand, too. There's a demo of loading and firing a flintlock musket and a general discussion of colonial life.

Additionally, I'm at the fort in period clothing, usually with my wife and daughter, on Thursday and Sunday afternoons with the Fairhaven Village Militia.

So. . . anybody traveling my way from now through September, stop by and take a tour.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
Allen

Post by Allen »

If I get to take a trip back to that area during the summer, I will definitely be interested in taking one of the tours. But it seems each time I make plans to go back something happens to stall them. I love the picture. :cool:
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Kat

Post by Kat »

Great picture Christopher!
Thank Gawd someone does what you do!

The first Thursday in August at 10 might be a little busy elsewhere...:wink:
beckygoddess

Post by beckygoddess »

Very nice picture, Mr. Richard. And we've been to Fairhaven, so aptly named as it is just absolutely enchanting. Beautiful little town. I was impressed with the cleanliness and peaceful feel of the place. And the few people we encountered were all so nice. And so near one of my favorite antique malls in New Bedford right off the highway.
"We wanted her so and her life was just thrown away." - LAB letter to Amanda dated 8/8/1908
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Melissa...did your plans get messed up for your trip this month ? I hope there's a way for you to still be able to go.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Allen

Post by Allen »

theebmonique @ Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:50 pm wrote:Melissa...did your plans get messed up for your trip this month ? I hope there's a way for you to still be able to go.

Tracy...
Yes, unfortunately they did get stalled again for this month. I am taking my summer class because it was cancelled for the Fall, and my husband's work schedule was a big interference as well. I am not sure when I will be able to make it back up now.
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Kat @ Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:14 pm wrote:
The first Thursday in August at 10 might be a little busy elsewhere...
I'd love to show up around noon and munch on a pear in the back yard.

But my morning tour ends at 11:30 and my afternoon stint at the fort begins at 1:00 (with a costume change and lunch in between.)

Besides, if I took the train via Weir Junction in Taunton, it would take me forever to get there.
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Beautiful building! Frankly, methinks you could give JVM lessons on how to dress...
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
Kat

Post by Kat »

FairhavenGuy @ Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:36 pm wrote:
Kat @ Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:14 pm wrote:
The first Thursday in August at 10 might be a little busy elsewhere...
I'd love to show up around noon and munch on a pear in the back yard.

But my morning tour ends at 11:30 and my afternoon stint at the fort begins at 1:00 (with a costume change and lunch in between.)

Besides, if I took the train via Weir Junction in Taunton, it would take me forever to get there.
Oh Crikey!
That would be cool if you showed up like that!! :cool:
I love it!
LBFallRiver7

Post by LBFallRiver7 »

Sounds great!!! Hopefully on our next trip.
augusta

Post by augusta »

I'll have to write those days and hours down. I'd like to do both this summer. Love that costume! I have been wanting to explore more of Fairhaven, just for the fun of it. I didn't spend nearly enough time there when I last went, and told myself I would go back. Thanks for posting the info, Fairhaven Guy!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Received today a really cool "Visitors Guide To Fairhaven" and the newsletter on "Summer/Fall Events, 2005."

Is this your publication, Christopher?
It's very well done.
Thank you for sending these information sources on your town!
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

I got one too!

It really is very well done and you should be very proud of it Chris!
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

I'm glad you got them so quickly. I was waiting for the latest edition to be delivered by the printer so I would't have to send outdated ones.

Tracy got one of the older ones last year, but it arrived after she'd already left for Fall River.

Virtually everything you see there is my own work, the writing, art, photgraphy, layout. . .also any and all typographical errors. . . I'm the first and so far only Director of Tourism for Fairhaven, so I had to create the whole thing from scratch.

If anyone else wants one, you can email my office.

FairhavenTours@aol.com
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Chris,

Will Audrey and I be allowed to go on the same tour at the same time.......pleeeeeeease ?

Tracy...
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

Gee Tracy give Auds some space, she may want
to meet others and be independent to do as she
pleases!
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Nancie, I think Tracy is Audrey's chaperone.

I'm HOPING she'd Audrey's chaperone.
Audrey

Post by Audrey »

She needs a Chaperon, not me!
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Gee Tracy give Auds some space, she may want
to meet others and be independent to do as she
pleases!
Nancie, you don't have all the facts. Let me help you out a bit here. Audrey and I are traveling together, same flight, same hotels. But I do thank you ever so much for your concern.

Tracy...

p.s. Audrey will be a very good girl, or I won't let her bring her tiara.