You Can't "Go" In Fall River

Meet up, connect, make travel plans, and organize face-to-face get togethers in Fall River.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Kat

You Can't "Go" In Fall River

Post by Kat »

I found out you can't pee in Fall River! If you are a menopausal woman from Florida who daily drinks about a gallon of water a day, beware!

A really nice-looking place, like a clean, well-lighted pharmacy, will turn you away. A Mobile station which has a convenience store, will deny you your right to pee. I KNOW they have a bathroom for the girls who work there- but they won't let you use it!

New Bedford wasn't much better.

I was telling Len Rebello this story and he started laughing. He told me one better and I remarked that I had to post this!

He said in all his antiquing travels with Shelly (of the B&B), they found you couldn't pee in Mystic, Conn., or in Wickford, R.I. They couldn't understand this, because the town wanted and needed the Tourist Dollar but wouldn't allow a tourist to pee! Finally after years of letters from tourists, Wickford opened a public toilet! They actually had a Grand Opening - a real Grand Opening, like Ta-Da! They now have a public building that is only to "Go" in. They made a big to-do about it. :smile:
See what letters can accomplish?

Anyway, it's not like that in Florida. We know which side our bread is buttered on!

Len says, if you visit up there, think Restaurant or Hospital!
Nancie

Post by Nancie »

very funny Kat, i guess it is no longer acceptable
(as we did as teenagers) to pee on the side of the
road and use leaves as toilet paper.
Haulover

Post by Haulover »

***I found out you can't pee in Fall River! If you are a menopausal woman from Florida who daily drinks about a gallon of water a day, beware!***

i guess that criteria lets me off the hook. i did, in fact, do it at the church after stefani's talk.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Thats one of my biggest pet peeves when traveling, places that won't let you do your business (pee) unless you do business with them (buy something)! One other place I've learned to look for when the need arises and I don't need or want to make a purchase is public libraries.
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Kat

Post by Kat »

YES! The library we went to had a very nice and LOCKED bathroom. It felt safe and was clean.

My pet peeve is that this became an issue in the car from my back-seat perspective. I was always worrying about the next chance to "go."

Consequently my car-mates probably felt extra pressure to stop more often.

The church was fine- I met up with a friend there in the corridor. The Historical Society was fine too because I actually have a favorite bathroom there in a foyer. The B&B was fine as well.
Just everyplace else!
I wonder if I had carried some tip money the Mobile station people would have given me the key? :smile:
stuartwsa

For Employees Only!

Post by stuartwsa »

As a retail merchant, may I offer "our" side of the story?
I let VERY few people use the facilities in my antique shop. First of all, it is very small and cramped, and filled with many things including merchandise and layaway items. I do let regular customers and friends use it. But I can get up to five and six requests a day, and most of them are from people walking in off the street that have no intention of buying anything. In that case, I do refuse, but I direct them to the nearby Starbucks, or the public library. (I also spend a lot of time picking up empty Starbucks cups, but don't get me started on that! :evil: )
I actually had a lady come in a couple of summers ago who went in and used it without even asking. (It is in a hidden spot that most people don't even notice, but somehow she knew where it was.) When she came out I confronted her, and she the gall to tell me that there was no sign saying it was private, and therefore it wasn't! Suddenly channeling Julia Sugarbaker, I replied that MOST folks had at least a few manners in that they asked permission before they barged into it, and that hopefully she would learn a bit of etiquette before she stepped into the store again. (And, a sign immediately went up that said "PRIVATE".)
PS: Any forum members are welcome to use the facilities at Reruns at any time! :grin:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Oh thankyouthankyou! I appreciate it.
I don't think I would think to use an antique store's restroom- that's a new one on me.
I was headed for places that served food or sold food products, as well as gas stations.
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

I've found that most larger supermarkets have public restrooms, as do shopping malls, libraries and other public buildings (City Hall, Fereral Buildings, etc.). Visitors Centers usually do, too.

Fast food places have restrooms and you generally don't have to purchase anything to use them.

Smaller retail establishments often do not have public restrooms, maybe because they prefer not to have members of the public out of their sight.
(The places Kat mentions--convenience stores/gas stations--have rather high risks of robbery. They are most distrustful of the public. Gas stations' restrooms are usually accessible only from the outside with a key for reasons of security.)

I was once at a First Night celebration in Boston on New Year's Eve and several friends had to go quite badly. A rather classy hotel wouldn't let them use a restroom, so they went around to the side alley and peed against the side of the building. . .
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
Edisto

Post by Edisto »

I always use the restrooms in fast food establishments (e. g., McDonald's). They're usually reasonably clean and well lighted and have enough traffic that you're unlikely to be mugged. I've never been asked if I intended to make a purchase (which I almost never do).

I'm not plumbed quite right to do it against the side of a building, though it sounds like fun. Maybe in my next incarnation...
"To lose one parent...may be regarded as misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."
-Oscar Wilde ("The Importance
of Being Earnest," 1895)
augusta

Post by augusta »

During one of my trips to Marion, every gas station told me theirs was "out of order", not looking me in the eye. It was dumb. It wasn't just Marion, it was like every one in the towns we got to as we progressed our drive. I hate using a gas station anyway - they are so filthy. You'd think they'd encourage public toilet use. An extra flush here and there could only help the bowl.

I finally understood that I needed to be a customer. So what'd I get? The first thing I saw - a bottle of cold Pepsi. As you can imagine, I was looking for another place again soon. :peanut19:
Kashesan

Post by Kashesan »

Is the privy in the basement at Second Street still operational? Hope so-that's where I went last time I went sneaking around the house on my own. Loved the old Harpers' Bazaar's.
(Just kidding Lee-Ann..I know two Virgos like you and Andrew would not have approved. I went out in back of the barn, like everybody else)

K.
"It seemed friendly enough, but it had sharp claws and a great many teeth. Alice thought it best to treat it with respect"
Lewis Carroll
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

Thats just too funny. I guess I better be ware, cuz I drink alot of water, because I am a diabetic. Thanks for the warning!!
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
Kashesan

Post by Kashesan »

I drink a lot of beer-watch out if you and I visit the place!! Flood! (Newsflash:"Lizzie Borden Drowned Father And Step Mother. New Proof Arises!")

:smiliecolors: k
"It seemed friendly enough, but it had sharp claws and a great many teeth. Alice thought it best to treat it with respect"
Lewis Carroll
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Well folks, the next time you are refused a restroom just grab yourself, tell them it's an emergency, ask them if the have a bucket and then tell them you have D I A R R H E A!!! I'm sure they will find you a restroom. Beats having a mud puddle on the floor.

Or you can carry one of those Lady Johns they have for women. I use a coke cup myself. Of course that is only good for pee.

-1bigsteve (o:
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

The magic word here is Depends. They help you mind your pees and queues.
Kat

Post by Kat »

That's Purrr-fect!
:smile:
snokkums

Re: You Can't "Go" In Fall River

Post by snokkums »

Kat @ Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:14 pm wrote:I found out you can't pee in Fall River! If you are a menopausal woman from Florida who daily drinks about a gallon of water a day, beware!

A really nice-looking place, like a clean, well-lighted pharmacy, will turn you away. A Mobile station which has a convenience store, will deny you your right to pee. I KNOW they have a bathroom for the girls who work there- but they won't let you use it!

New Bedford wasn't much better.

I was telling Len Rebello this story and he started laughing. He told me one better and I remarked that I had to post this!

He said in all his antiquing travels with Shelly (of the B&B), they found you couldn't pee in Mystic, Conn., or in Wickford, R.I. They couldn't understand this, because the town wanted and needed the Tourist Dollar but wouldn't allow a tourist to pee! Finally after years of letters from tourists, Wickford opened a public toilet! They actually had a Grand Opening - a real Grand Opening, like Ta-Da! They now have a public building that is only to "Go" in. They made a big to-do about it. :smile:
See what letters can accomplish?

Anyway, it's not like that in Florida. We know which side our bread is buttered on!

Len says, if you visit up there, think Restaurant or Hospital!
Thats wild. If I go to Fall River I'll make sure I go to the bathroom before I leave the room.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.