Have you been to the house poll?

Meet up, connect, make travel plans, and organize face-to-face get togethers in Fall River.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Have you been to the B&B?

Yes, and stayed overnight
24%
Yes, but just for the tour
38%
No, but plan to visit and stay over night
27%
No, but plan to visit just for the tour
4%
No, I don't plan on visiting Fall River
7%

Total votes: 45

Harry

Have you been to the house poll?

Post by Harry »

Just to satisfy curiosity please answer this poll.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Yes...I have been there AND stayed overnight. Once in Lizzie's room, and twice in the guest room. The experience of a lifetime. I highly recommend it.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
diana

Post by diana »

I've been in the house twice, but haven't stayed overnight.
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

I went once maybe seven years ago. (If I were at work I could find a more exact date.) I was touring Fall River with the city's Tourism Director and New Bedford's Tourism Director. The three of us were shown around the house by the owner, but it wasn't really "the tour." I think I was the only one of the three of us who knew enough about the case to understand what we were seeing. (To the other guys, it was a "tourist attraction/bed & breakfast.") For me, it was a fascinating experience. After having seen little black and white diagrams of the room layout in books over the years, being there was pretty amazing.

I would like to return sometime and take the official tour.
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
Allen

Post by Allen »

I've been there twice, and stayed overnight both times. I slept in the guestroom on both occassions. I'm planning to go back again this Spring and stay the night in Bridget's room.
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Elizabelle

Post by Elizabelle »

My husband and I plan on visiting and staying the night sometime in the next two years.
LIZZIE BORDEN'S THEME SONG
(to the tune of Green Acres)

Fall River is the place to be,
city living is the life for me.
Bought a nicer house,
so big and wide!
Forget 92 Second Street,
that's where I was charged with homicide!
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

For my next stay, I would like to try the Knowlton romm...the one on the north side of Bridget's room (?). Eleanor said there tends to be a LOT of activity in that room.

Tracy...
DWilly

Post by DWilly »

I visited the house last August. I only did the tour. I'd like to go again and this time stay in Lizzie's room. Another thing I'd like to do is walk around Fall Rivers and get more of an idea of what it's like. From what I saw it doesn't look like any of the homes that were near Lizzie's house are still there. But I would still like to get an idea of how far it was from Alice's house to Lizzie's etc. I'd also like to see the church Lizzie went to. It's my understanding the building is still there. Is that true? I would love to go inside Maplecroft. I just drove by it. Actually, I think I'd like a whole Lizzie tour. The jail, the court house, Swansea etc.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I think our group just passed you by one day or so! Small world!

Who voted they are not going to Fall River? :batman: :?:
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

I would love to visit but from California it's a bit far to walk. I'd love to stay over night in all bedrooms and take tons of pictures. Do they serve Johnny Cakes for breakfast? I have a receipe for them. It would be nice to stay and visit.

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

keim

Post by keim »

We spent the night in the parent's bedroom. Actually, we slept in Abby's dressing room, which is attached to the main bedroom.
Kat

Post by Kat »

To go off topic for a sec- hey Keim- your sites been updated? :shock:
keim

Post by keim »

Hey Kat, I'm always updating it! :)
I try to add one or two entries per week in my "Observer" section, and I am usually in the process of documenting some project, which right now is the design of my newest haunted mansion paper model kit.

But I'm glad you noticed!
Kat

Post by Kat »

I always check out your site when you come on!
It's so cool!

BTW: I just posted to your reply to Harry in the Lizzie Andrew Borden section here.
Maybe you don't have the pic I posted?

viewtopic.php?t=1698&start=25
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, have been to 92 Second street but back in 1971 when no one lived there. I had a wiring job in the building for the Leary press at the time. The door you see in photos on the South side of the house was the access between the Leary press building and the Borden house.

The owner of the Press gave me a tour of the house. My interest in the case was only superficial so don't remember much today. But, I remember it was very unchanged and ancient inside, quite, dark and spooky. I remember just wanting to get out. Of course taking my interest in in the case today, I would have spent hours in there and would have loved to stay over night, but back then if I could....
KT72

Post by KT72 »

I went for the tour very shortly after the house first opened to the public. It was a big moment for me, as I'd wanted to get into that house since I was a kid. I was very impressed with the way it was done - so much attention to detail, really an obvious effort to restore the appearance exactly as it was in the Bordens' day. I heard some people criticized it for looking "too new", but if you think about it that's how it would have looked back then! I plan to return soon.

I'd like to stay the night, but I think I might be too chicken :shock:
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Staying the night is EASY. I had no trouble sleeping any of the 3 nights, even when I got shut in the cellar with the lights out...accidentally. I stayed once in Lizzie's room, and twice in the guest room. Eleanor is a delightful tour guide. Ed and Dave are wonderful breakfast hosts. I would very highly recommend for anyone to give it a try.

Tracy...
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Kt72....., I too think they have done a nice job with the place. Concerning the complaints about it being to modern, well there's not much you can to about bathrooms, unless you have the guests make nightly visits to the cellar. :lol: Also, the character of the old kitchen has long vanished, but still there must be an eerie, haunting air staying overnight.

But the house does look out of place as you drive up to it. :sad: Most of the neighborhoood has been destroyed. But, it was intacted not to long ago, and I remember when 2nd street continued down along the side of the Academy Building to Pleasant street; now not Pleasant street. Streets have been removed, diverted, a highrise elderly appartment house built behind 92, an ugly Bus station and very unsuccessful mall accross the street, where Bowen's house once stood. Now there is talk that the Bus station and Mall is to be demolished to make way for a Court house. :mad:

Fall River has never really been intouch with it's rich Historical Past. As in all large cities Fall River has always suffered from an image problem, and unlike many other aging towns, always trying to reinvent itself, and in doing so, embracing the wrecking ball; and building new age buildings or multiple level parking garages. To this day the City still allows all sorts of historical property to be demolished, never really realizing that it's future lies in it's past. I know there was not much it could do about the highway (Rt 195) that cut through the center of the city, spliting it in half like a live pulsing scar. But in doing so, it destoryed one of the city's most valued features, the Quequechan River, it's flow and it's water falls.

On the other hand, we are lucky to have people with vision and respect for bygone values such as the clan that is running 92 Second street. It is a labor of love, and the investment on a monetary scale not to be realized anytime soon. It's not about profit, it's about the love of that that came before us, and learning from it, whether it be good or bad.

I think it is great that they have restored the old barn to the property. To bad that the yard couldn't be made whole, pear trees, stacked lumber and all, but than again where would be put all the cars. Some things you just have to let go. :smile: Good luck to everyone at 92, in keeping the past alive. :grin:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Good post, mbhenty!

It reminds me:
Does anyone have any idea how long that lumber pile might have lain by the back fence in Andrew's day?
It doesn't look old and weathered in the picture.
Maybe it's from when the house was painted in the spring of 1892?
Anyone ever hear why Andrew collected that lumber?
Any guesses?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Other than a very convenient foot stool for the killer to easily scale the fence, I remember reading nothing about the use of the lumber stored out back.

I remember growing up in Fall River and as little boys we were always playing somewhere we were not suppose to be. Many tenement houses stored small stacks of lumber in the back yard for odd repairs. The frugal landlord saved every scrap of lumber, never knowing when it could come in handy. For some reason I don't see that to the same extent any more. Why, when there's a Home Depot down the road.

In Andrew's time things were probably not that different. Off course, frugal as he was, you can easily see Andrew Borden picking up the lumber somewhere, probably for free, and storing it in his yard.

Many times my friends and I used such a pile to make our escape, whether we were just taking a short cut through someone's yard or in their garden picking their tomato's. Every other tenement house seem to have a small lumber pile in the back yard.
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

There wasn't a line for " No, but would really like to someday", so I submitted the entry closest to it.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

I want to spend the night there and meet Andrew, if possible.
To do is to be. ~Socrates
To be is to do. ~Kant
Do be do be do. ~Sinatra
myk7753

Post by myk7753 »

I WILL make it there...not sure when...but I WILL make it...and I plan on staying over when I do. Just haven't decided which room I'd prefer.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Oh Michele...you NEED to go for sure ! It is the trip of a lifetime...one every lover of this beguiling mystery should experience...AT LEAST once !!!

Tracy...
myk7753

Post by myk7753 »

As soon as finances permit, I'm going to go. Not a question of IF, just of WHEN. And...I think I'd like to sleep in Lizzie's room....not that I'd actually waste a moment sleeping...lol.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

The first night I stayed there, I was in Lizzie's room. The other two nights, I stayed in the guest room...I even slept on the side of the bed closest to where Abby was killed. I have no complaints about getting a good night's sleep in either room. A little noise from the bus station across the street, but not bad.

Tracy...
myk7753

Post by myk7753 »

Did you get a sense of Lizzie in her room? I don't think I'd have any trouble sleeping in any room of that house, I don't spook easily...but I wouldn't want to waste the time sleeping, I'd rather stay up and "take it all in".
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I should say when I said "a good night's sleep", that I really meant a few hours sleep. I did exactly waht you say...staying awake as long as possible to "take it all in". There were all kinds of vibes in the house. I felt a very strong sense of Lizzie when I stood in front of Maplecroft and at Oak Grove. Oh...and at the courthouse in the courtroom too.

Tracy...
myk7753

Post by myk7753 »

I was just reading a post on here about the Ghosthunter's Season Fanale...I think they did a very poor job when they stayed at the B&B...what self respecting spirit would have popped up during all that turmoil??? LOL...

but seriously, I think, given the chance, I'd rather experience the essence of what Lizzie was about more than I would the fallout of any residual negativity of the murders itself. If I could, I feel that would answer more questions (in my mind, at least) than anything else would.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Just going to/staying at the house will give you a major new perspective on the whole story. It is intense, and nearly unexplainable. You will understand the moment you arrive.

Tracy...
myk7753

Post by myk7753 »

I'm looking forward to the experience.

There's no place like Lizzie's <click>

....There's no place like Lizzie's <click>

........There's no place like Lizzie's <click>

*Smile*
kindee

Post by kindee »

Oh thank you so much for your experiences folks. We'll be in Lizzie's room this coming Friday night. I'm hoping for some action---and I do mean of the paranormal kind :oops:

With all the wet weather New England has been having I am wondering if it might not be "a dark and stormy night"--- :shock:
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Kindee,

Congratulations on making your first trip to "THE scene of the crime" ! Here's a link to the 10-day forecast for Fall River...it looks like Thursday and Friday will be decent, and Saturday a little "iffy":

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/U ... undeclared

Tracy...
Kat

Post by Kat »

I think maybe Lizzie's *essence* would more likely be at Maplecroft.
I wish that house was accessible.
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

kindee @ Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:41 pm wrote:Oh thank you so much for your experiences folks. We'll be in Lizzie's room this coming Friday night. I'm hoping for some action---and I do mean of the paranormal kind :oops:

With all the wet weather New England has been having I am wondering if it might not be "a dark and stormy night"--- :shock:

I think the only paranormal stuff going on in Lizzie's house is probably in the imagination of the persons staying there. People like to scare themselves and every creak of the old floor boards is a ghost.

However, if you do see a big lumbering ghost coming at you with a hatchet in his hand, Linda, just ignore it. It'll just be little 'ol me! That reminds me, I better sharpen my hatchet... :wink:

Don't forget to bring your camera, plenty of film and a note book to record your thoughts, impressions, feelings and ideas. Don't rely on your memory. I'm getting excited for you. Have a lot of fun and enjoy your stay! :grin:

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
kindee

Post by kindee »

(found the quote button but how do you post after quoting? TIA!)

Wow all this and a weather report too! Amazing!

Thanks for the warnings and advice and all---I once lived in a house (for 3 years) where 3 people had been brutally murdered (stabbed scored of times each) so I'm not petrified of the possibility of "spirits" but I really don't want or need to meet one at Lizzie's---however, if one makes an appearance I'll be ready with my camera as I plan to do little or no sleeping Friday night! :grin:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

I agree Kat: Lizzie's apparition would most likely be at Maplecorft. She hated 92, can't understand why she would be there. :-? But on the other hand number 92 was the location of two murders of two people who were not ready to depart this world and who's spirit could linger or be lost and trapped at 92, which would make it the most probable place for a haunting.

Also spirits sort out spiritual people, and I do not mean that in a religious sense. No matter how much interest you may have in spirits, spirits may have no interest in showing themselves to you.

Can't believe I'm talking about this............... :shock: what was that noise?

:smile:
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

For me there was most definitely a stronger feeling of peace and of Lizzie surrounding Maplecroft. I also had a strong feeling of peace while visiting the Borden family plot at Oak Grove.

Tracy...
kindee

Post by kindee »

monique, I am extremely happy I found your observations here before I had MY adventure. My sister has long thought Lizzie was innocent and I think "there but for the grace of God go I" about the Lizzie situation---

Have you been inside Maplecroft? I'm sorry if I missed that part of your story. But I well imagine you are correct.

IF there are restless spirits still at #92 they probably aren't Lizzie but Abby or Andrew or someone else.

I know like all you LizziPhiles you go to the Borden house to see if you might find ANY answers there---I am thoroughly hoping Lizzie comes in and sits on the bed and tells me what REALLY happened in that house. I'll be wearing my brown jammies but I won't run away! Having said that, :shock: . Do they provide wine at the B&B or do we have to smuggle it in?
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I have not been inside of Maplecroft...not many have had that experience. I have only been on the sidewalk in front of it and across the street from it.

You don't have to smuggle the wine in. It is allowed. They do have coffee (and punch ?) and some cake/cookies that they serve after the tour, and then of course there is the delicious "Borden's Last Breakfast" served the morning after your stay.

Tracy...
kindee

Post by kindee »

Excellent to know! I don't think I can make it through the night without a toast or 3! And I have to be out of there by 6 a.m. to make my flight at Manchester. Dangit---I didn't know until a few days ago we were going to be spending the night. Next time I'll plan for the whole experience!
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Whew...out by 6 a.m. ? If I remember right...they don't start serving breakfast until 8 a.m. Maybe they will do an early one for you though...it's worth asking anyway.

Tracy...
Kat

Post by Kat »

The first time I was at Andrew's grave at Oak Grove I felt a sort of message from him saying he didn't want us there.
So I said right back, why then have such a huge monument?
Come to find out later that the girls bought and put up that monument.
kindee

Post by kindee »

That's pretty eerie stuff kat. SO Emma and Lizzie erected a giant monument? I guess under the circumstances it just wouldn't do to put up a piddly little headstone for him. :sad:
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Here are spme photos of the family plot. The big monument stone would be to the right of the smaller headstones as they are shown.

Tracy...
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks Tracy!
Did you clean off Lizbeth's stone? It looks so nice!
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Well, I didn' take a bucket of soap and water with me, but I did wipe it off with my shirt tale while I was there. I picked up leaves and stuff too. I just wanted to somehow pay my respects more than when I had been there previously.

Tracy...
Kat

Post by Kat »

I can tell.
Thank you. That was nice.