Touring Fall River

Meet up, connect, make travel plans, and organize face-to-face get togethers in Fall River.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Wordweaver

Touring Fall River

Post by Wordweaver »

In two short weeks I'll be there. I'm planning on spending Wednesday, May 31, seeing the house and town, and Thursday, June 1, at the Fall River Historical Society.

Is there a tourist map that will give me directions to Oak Grove and the Swansea house? I should be able to find the Congregational church myself.

What else should I visit?

Anybody up for lunch on Wednesday? Any good (cheap) restaurant recommendations?

I'm getting very excited about this trip!

Lynn
There is science, logic, reason; there is thought verified by experience. And then there is California. --Edward Abbey

http://unnaturalhistory.blogspot.com
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

They have maps at the B & B. If I remember right, the maps show the B&B, Maplecroft, Oak, Grove and various other Lizzie-related places.

I believed the FRHS is closed for whatever it is they do for the summer ? mbhenty has a post about it somewhere. My niece and I visited a few years ago at the first of May, and the FRHS was closed for a month for summer cleaning. I hope for your sake I am very wrong.

I would HIGHLY recommend the Abbey Grille. Par excellance ! This is right by/part of the church
http://www.iicaculinary.com/abbey.htm

I also highly recommend the Portuguese place just a few blocks from the B&B...I wish I could remember the name. We loved it. Is it Caldeira's maybe ?
http://dinesite.com/info/rstrnt-87613/metro/

Another lovely place is Magoni's:
http://dinesite.com/info/rstrnt-87613/metro/

Fairhaven guy can possibly help you with the Fairhaven/New Bedford area (the courthouse, and the homes of some of the other players in this story).

Someone will surely be able to direct you to the Swansea home, and the house where Emmma's wake was held (Riverby).

You will have a WONERFUL adventure in Fall River !

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Kat

Post by Kat »

viewtopic.php?t=66

Directions to the Farmhouse.

You might check all the topics in this section here and you may find lots of interesting info!
Lucky Duck!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Tracy, I went to the FRHS yesterday to visit the Gift Shop. As I mentioned on a post else where, the Gift shop was closed until the second week in June. It was completly empty and the staff was painting the walls. But I'm sure that the rest of the building and attractions are open. I would call to make sure.

Yes Lynn, Oak Grove Cemetery is easy to find once you leave the FRHS. The Historical Society is at the corner of Rock and Maple Streets. If you were to come out the front door of the FRHS and walk north one block, you will come to Prospect street. You take a right on prospect street, heading east, and Porspect Street runs right into the gate at Oak Grove about 7 blocks away.

Now if you walk out the front door of the FRHS, and again, head north, past prospect street, (then past Michael Martins home) the next street you come to is French Street. Take a right on French street and Maplecroft is 2 and a half blocks away.

Eating, you can't beat the Abbey Grille, (Culinary School) but prices are up there. Two blocks down towards number 92 and across from the post office is Giorgio's Steak House. Giorgio's is owned by the same person who runs the Abbey Grille. Don't eat out much but have a friend who does. I will ask him. Not sure if the Eagle Resturant is still in business. They are listed in the phone book, but I think someone said they closed their doors last year. They were located at 35 North Main Street a short block from the library and City Hall.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Where are you staying? I just found out today that the 2 other B&B's, other than #92, in Fall River are closed!
The 1873 House is for sale and the Highland B&B house is no longer one.
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

I'll give a a couple of addresses that you can punch into MapQuest or a similar service to provide you with maps and directions.

NEW BEDFORD

New Bedford Superior Court, 435 County Street, New Bedford, MA 02740
(NOTE: This address is actually the Masonic Building next door. I couldn't find an actual street address for the Court house in the phone book.)

Bristol County House of Correction/Ash Street Jail, 108 Court Street, New Bedford, MA 02740 (The courthouse is on the corner of County and Court Streets. The jail is just a few blocks up Court Street from the courthouse.)

Hosea M. Knowlton House, 350 Union Street, New Bedford, MA 02740 (Union Street is one street south of Court Street and also leads past the jail. Knowlton conveniently lived between the courthouse and the jail. Even today, most of the city's law offices around in this general area.)

FAIRHAVEN

Delano/Brownell House, 132 Green Street, Fairhaven, MA 02719 (This is just a short distance from my office. It's the house with the front steps falling off.)

Office of Tourism/Visitors Center, 43 Center Street, Fairhaven, MA 02719
(Wednesday is my day off and Thursday, June 1, is the first day of my morning walking tours and afternoon duties at Fort Phoenix, with a quick costume change in between. If it's raining I'll be in the office, but if it's nice I'll be out all day. The Visitors Center is still open on Thursdays, but Mrs. Monk, who is my summer employee, knows virtually nothing about Lizzie Borden.)
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
Kat

Post by Kat »

But don't go to the jail or try to take pictures or you might get arrested! :peanut7:
augusta

Post by augusta »

I find it hard to get around in Fall River. A city map is a great idea. I found one online for like $6.95 that is laminated and has deep folds so it is a cinch to open up and close. Where did I get it from??? Travel Warehouse.com? I bought one of New Bedford, too.

There's all kinds of fast food places over the bridge into Somerset/Swansea. There are a LOT of Dunkin' Donuts every place out there. It's almost weird.

LePage's seafood is really good and medium priced, depending what you order. It's on a canal or some kind of water.

Chad's Chowder House is a family favorite now. Their chowder has won several awards. They are at 1160 G.A.R. Highway (Route 6) in Somerset. Phone 672-5505. Fabulous chowder, and good seafood. Not bad pricing.

Roger's bar has two dining rooms in it, I think. We've eaten there a lot. Very good food. A little 'spensive, but worth it. That's located at an intersection - if you are in Somerset heading toward Fall River on the main road, you will run into it. (You can probably find it online or in the phone book.)

I find that Massachusetts is the place to get the best clam chowders. Every restaurant makes theirs different. And I find that Maine is the better place to get lobster. I've found it too pricey and not as good in Massachusetts.

Oh - the Bagel Car is okay. It's on the Somerset side over the Taunton River. You can't miss it. It's a railroad car, or two. Lots of interesting knick knacks to look at in there. One thing they sold that was really good was a cellophane wrapped snack cake called "Whoopie Pie". It was like a buck for one. Very much like the Suzy-Q. I had heard of those before but never tasted one. They are good.

It sounds like you reserved the archive room at the FRHS. I researched there before when they were officially closed to the public.

They have the nicest things in their gift shop. I don't know who selects the items, but they are real good. I hope you get to look at the stuff for sale and it isn't all packed away till they're done painting. But if the museum is closed, they probably did box all the stuff up.

A good place to stay is the Quality Inn Somerset/Fall River. Rooms are roomy and pleasant. It's a quiet place. You get free breakfast in the mornings. I'm an insomniac, but I rest good and sleep good there.

This would be a good time of year to see the mansions in Newport, RI. It's about 25 minutes from Fall River. You may be beating the tourist season. They have bus tours, that take in several mansion tours. Or you can just drive around the roads the mansions are on - it's incredible.

The Sanford-Covell B & B is totally gorgeous on the inside and is on the Naragansett (sp?) Bay. I have to stay there some time. That can be found easily online.

The house Lizzie stayed at for a couple of weeks after her trial is not far from the Sanford-Covell B & B. It's on Farewell Street, and is a B & B now. It's all Victorian inside. What the heck is the name of it? I'm sorry. I have a real bad cold and am not functioning at my best here. I'm used to referring to it as 'the house on Farewell Street'. Anyway, if you want more info on it, please PM me and I can look it up. It'd be neat (maybe a little scary) to stay there. It's real pretty inside.

Providence RI is gorgeous. But it's so crowded, lots of traffic during rush hours, and parking spots for us out-of-towners are tough to find. They say the restaurants are superb.

Take me in your trunk!
Wordweaver

Post by Wordweaver »

theebmonique @ Fri May 19, 2006 10:41 am wrote:They have maps at the B & B. If I remember right, the maps show the B&B, Maplecroft, Oak, Grove and various other Lizzie-related places.

I believed the FRHS is closed for whatever it is they do for the summer ? mbhenty has a post about it somewhere. My niece and I visited a few years ago at the first of May, and the FRHS was closed for a month for summer cleaning. I hope for your sake I am very wrong...
Thanks for all the suggestions.

As for the FRHS. . . their website says nothing about being closed. At least, not anywhere I could find it. I am *really* not happy about this. I've called but just got the voice mail. The message for the museum shop gives the same hours of operation as the web site.

I carefully planned my trip around various museums' and archives' hours of operation, as advertised on their websites. I've already discovered that another place I'd counted on to be open will have exceedingly limited hours on fewer days per week -- and it's a good way away from the other stuff I'm planning to visit.

Has Massachusetts cut its support to museums?

I will prevail! I will even break an egg, if necessary!

Lynn
There is science, logic, reason; there is thought verified by experience. And then there is California. --Edward Abbey

Wordweaver

Post by Wordweaver »

Kat @ Sat May 20, 2006 12:40 am wrote:Where are you staying? I just found out today that the 2 other B&B's, other than #92, in Fall River are closed!
The 1873 House is for sale and the Highland B&B house is no longer one.
I'm not staying in Fall River. I'm staying with my partner Alan at Foxwoods, where he'll play poker and I'll work on my research. It's a somewhat unusual way to handle things, but then we have an unusual relationship. :wink: It worked for us last year (no, two years ago), when we went to Las Vegas. He played poker, I worked on the laptop. We'd take a walk together every day, have meals together, and do occasional touristy things.

This trip, we'll probably go see Concord, Mass., together, since he spent some of his childhood there, and I love the place. And I'm introducing him to my family. That should be interesting.

Lynn

theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

In Boston...in addition to the historical stuff, there is a bakery that has cannoli's that are to die for. They have other sinfully delicious goodies too. My fav's, along with any of their cannoli's, are the pink coconut cookies. Whew...my mouth is watering. Anyway...the place is called Mike's Pastry and is at 300 Hanover St...in the North End.

http://www.mikespastry.com/

Tracy...
Kat

Post by Kat »

The place Lizzie stayed after the trial for some R&R is called officially :
Covell Guest House

9 Thames Street
Newport RI 02840
USA
Phone: +1-401-847-8872

I called there on Friday and got voice mail message which I couldn't understand. It was someone saying somehing like hello this is maisy leave a message. As far as I could tell they did not identify themselves as a B&B or a business. Very unusual. I read a review online from 2005 and the rooms were around $170.

I also contacted the Washinfgton Street B&B where the Covell's moved to.
That is a gorgeous place. Sherry found it first and Stef/Harry/Me drove by there on one trip. It's fantastic. I phoned there and prices were $165- 325. It's the Sanford-Covell B&B.
72 Washington Street
Newport, R.I.
401-847-0206
http://www.sanford-covell.com/
Kat

Post by Kat »

I will e-mail Dennis and ask him when the shop will re-open.
We spoke to them 3 times last week but never asked when the painting would be finished! Sorry!
augusta

Post by augusta »

Kat - where did you get "9 Thames Street" from? It's on Farewell Street. Unless ... the front of the house is technically on 'Thames Street'?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Wordweaver- from Dennis at the Fall River Historical Society:

The shop grand re-opening is tentatively set for the second week of the month [June]. Tours are being conducted even though we are under renovation...

The tours are hourly on Tuesday through Friday from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m., excepting the noon hour. Weekend hours begin the first weekend of June with tours beginning on the hour from 1 to 4 p.m. But, as I said, the museum shop in the early part of June will still be under renovation. This work, by the way, in no way impacts the Borden exhibit. Admission is $6.00 for adults, $4.00 for children ages 6 to 14, and free for members (who may be accompanied by one guest).

Archive hours for the public are from 9 to 12 noon and 1 to 4 p.m. on Thursdays and Fridays. Use of the archive is by appointment. There is no charge.

The Fall River Historical Society • 451 Rock Street • Fall River, Massachusetts 02720 • (508) 679-1071

Directions are at their web page:
http://lizzieborden.org/directions.htm
Kat

Post by Kat »

Lynn, please let me know you read the message from the Historical Society. I've been worried that you were worried.
Thanks!
-Kat
Wordweaver

Post by Wordweaver »

Kat @ Tue May 23, 2006 7:42 pm wrote:Lynn, please let me know you read the message from the Historical Society. I've been worried that you were worried.
Thanks!
-Kat
Thanks -- I just saw it this minute, and I am profoundly relieved.

You're the best. Now, if only we could spirit you up to Fall River next week, think what fun we could have!

Again, my most profound gratitude for checking this. I am so grateful.

Lynn

theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Lynn,

I am glad you get to go too ! I could not get into the place when I was there...TWICE ! So...YEA for you ! Have fun !
We will want pictures and details !

Tracy...
Kat

Post by Kat »

Whew! Thanks for responding, Lynn.
You're going to Love your trip!
Thanks for inviting me!!! :smile:
Richard

Staying Over Night

Post by Richard »

When I first arrived at the house, I was very pleased at how light and pleasant it was. I roamed the rooms, finding it very easy to stand anywhere without feeling creeped out. It was only after night began to fall and the caretakers were telling their ghost stories, and the clock struck midnight, and people took to their rooms in the floors above and the sounds of laughter and coughing and footsteps started emerging from behind every locked door, that I started to feel kind of weird.

Oddly enough, I found Andrew's bedroom to be the room with the most amount of "dense dark" energy. When I was going up the stairs to the attic room (I was in the Knowlton room), I had to pass by that locked door on the second floor and when I did (at 2 in the morning while staring at the dark window at the far end of the landing) the sound of a man's laughter came bellowing out of the bedroom. Of course it was a guest, but it made me jump out of my shoes and hit the ceiling.

I did feel very freaky for the rest of the night and I think I only slept four hours.
A book shall be an axe for the frozen sea within us -- Franz Kafka
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Lynn, when is it that you will be leaving ? Are you flying into Providence ?

Tracy...
Kat

Re: Staying Over Night

Post by Kat »

Richard @ Fri May 26, 2006 1:12 pm wrote:When I first arrived at the house, I was very pleased at how light and pleasant it was. I roamed the rooms, finding it very easy to stand anywhere without feeling creeped out. It was only after night began to fall and the caretakers were telling their ghost stories, and the clock struck midnight, and people took to their rooms in the floors above and the sounds of laughter and coughing and footsteps started emerging from behind every locked door, that I started to feel kind of weird.

Oddly enough, I found Andrew's bedroom to be the room with the most amount of "dense dark" energy. When I was going up the stairs to the attic room (I was in the Knowlton room), I had to pass by that locked door on the second floor and when I did (at 2 in the morning while staring at the dark window at the far end of the landing) the sound of a man's laughter came bellowing out of the bedroom. Of course it was a guest, but it made me jump out of my shoes and hit the ceiling.

I did feel very freaky for the rest of the night and I think I only slept four hours.
Have you seen the video where Miss McGinn says that window at the stairs on Andrew's floor would slam open and closed by itself?
I wondered how much you might have been affected by past *ghost stories* at the house?
Those "Most Haunted" crew on TV get really scared in the dark and they are there specifically to record anthing unusual. :shock:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Yes Kat: As you know Lizzie must have walked in and out of every room in my apartment........probably sat in a chair right in the spot where I am sitting now. (Ahhh! what's the weight in my lap.....Oh just my Scottie dog, Henty, :roll: phew!)

At times one of my dogs will stand and stare into one of the rooms for the longest time like he's watching something or someone. I remember reading somewhere that dogs can see ghosts. He spooks me out when he does that. :-?
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

There will be a formal walking tour of the Historic Oak Grove Cemetary on Sunday June 4th from noon to 4p.m.

The walking tour will concentrate on 8 notables in Fall River history, including Col. Richard Borden, Emma Borden and Abby Durfee Gray Borden, along with Mary Macomber, a famous Fall River Artist.

Tickets are 12 dollars and can be purchased at the Historical Society. (508 679-1071)

Just in case anyone happens to be in Fall River at that time. Just came across this, otherwise I would have posted earlier. :oops:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks!
I just heard about it a few days ago but didn't know when it started. ooops.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

As noted above in one of my earlier posts.

Though I did not attend the walk, this is a newspaper photo of the folks, players, who participated in the Oak Grove Cemetary walk this past Sunday. Don't know any of the players and not sure if anyone on the forum does?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wordweaver

Post by Wordweaver »

What a wonderful trip!

I enjoyed a warm welcome from the excellent people at the FRHS, an exciting tour of the house, and hours of research at the FRHS archives.

There's nothing quite like the chill of seeing the spots on the bedspread.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. I would love to go again -- and that's a real possibility, given that Alan looooved the poker games at Foxwoods.

Kat

Post by Kat »

Hi!
Did he win?
I'm hoping for a poker game when family comes to visit next month!

Oh! And glad you enjoyed your trip!! :smile:
Wordweaver

Post by Wordweaver »

Kat @ Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:52 pm wrote:Hi!
Did he win?
Oh yes. He called it the Happy Hunting Grounds. He was exceedingly reluctant to tear himself away. We're talking about maybe coming east next year to Atlantic City, where there's good poker for him and proximity to many old friends in Philly for me.

Lynn

Kat

Post by Kat »

We had extended family who lived near Atlantic City and they loved to go there. They said they went there to make their periodic "deposits." :smile:

What was your favorite thing in Fall River and had you been there before?
Harry

Post by Harry »

Glad you had a great trip, Lynn. Going there and seeing and touching the real thing gives one a new perspective.

What's your opinion of the house? Bigger or smaller than you thought?

Now the important question - did you solve the case? :grin:
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find