Stefani's Lecture in FALL RIVER

Meet up, connect, make travel plans, and organize face-to-face get togethers in Fall River.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

mbhenty

Stefani's Lecture in FALL RIVER

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

Just got back from Stefani's Lecture on "Lizzie Borden in Popular Culture" at the Fall River Public Library and must admit to still being on a high. I was very impressed with her Briliant Presentation. What a wonderful speaker. "The Kid's got it." She can really work a crowd, and though it was not a full house the audience's appreciation more than made up for it.

(the reason it was not a full house was because someone in charge, screwed up and did not advertise or make public to everyone in the area that there was a talk. Don't expect anyone in the public sector in Fall River to get it right, and I find it reprehensible and inexcusable. Though the Library announced that the error was not theirs, I still find it shameful.

But that does not matter to me. The Lecture was Brilliant, witty and very informative. What a stylish presentation of a subject that can come across glum at times; but instead was light and captivating. Had a great time and only regret that it was so short and only happens once a year.....

Wish everyone was there to see the master administer her Opus. :grin: :grin: :grin:
lydiapinkham

Post by lydiapinkham »

Hi, Mike!

You're right, it really was a treat and quite a shame that the lecture was so ill publicized. I found on our trip yesterday that Fall River people either embrace the case as part of the town's history, or they want to shun it altogether. The woman at the Historical Society was so disdainful about the Borden room that she remained out in the hall most of the time we were looking through it. The younger guide was very pleasant, and the reference librarian was both friendly and helpful. I suppose we should be grateful for what support we get. At one time no one wanted to discuss the case. BTW, does anyone no who put up the "Welcome lizzieandrewborden.com" sign in the yard next to Maplecroft. That was pretty nice and unexpected!

--Lyddie/Mary
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Thank you Lyddie/Mary:

Yes, though many think it was just a mistake, and that someone just overlooked the notice to the paper, I find it reckless and irresponsible; but almost predictable. But you know, I think I feel worst than Stefani did, only because I know how things function here in Fall River. Someone else said that the same problem happened with them. But that rolled off Stefani's shoulders and she did not give it a second thought. The kid's a class act.

Yes, I think that it was true at one time, that there were many who would shun the Lizzie, but I think what may be mistaken as rejection today may be just ignorrance. That is to say, many are ignorrant of the facts of the case and pretend not to care. Now if you are talking about the Old Bitties at the Historical, you are right. Lizzie Borden probably brings 80 percent of the customers and visitors to the Historical, but they really don't like relating to her. That is my impression, though Michael Martins has been very kind and receptive everytime I have spoken to him on the case or all things Lizzie.

Yes, the young lady at the Library was somewhat pleasant. But I was very embarrased the way they tried to push everyone out the door after the talk was done.

Yes Lyddie/Mary, was that not cool. :cool: :roll:
RayS

Post by RayS »

Those interested in a 114-year old unsolved murder are a tiny minority.
I wouldn't mention this to your neighbors.
After all, the unsolved murder of JFK is much more important, but harder to handle knowledge-wise. IMO
It was Farmer William in the Bedroom with the Hatchet.
RayS

Post by RayS »

Any locality that has an infamous crime will not bring it up in living memory. IMO I did read something about a famous crime in Geneva NY (?) that inspired Theodore Dreiser's "American Tragedy".
Do not imagine that such crimes are unknown in Europe! Human nature, if not culture, is the same world wide. Or so I believe.
It was Farmer William in the Bedroom with the Hatchet.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Edit: For good reason, since it had nothing to do with anyone on this forum.
Angel

Post by Angel »

This is all getting entirely too weird.
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Maybe it's just me, but I have to ask: To whom are your comments above directed, mb?
lydiapinkham

Post by lydiapinkham »

Thanks for clearing that up, Mike.

--Lyddie
Smudgeman

Post by Smudgeman »

doug65oh @ Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:24 pm wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I have to ask: To whom are your comments above directed, mb?

It's not just you! Not sure to whom the comments were directed towards? :roll:
"I'd luv to kiss ya, but I just washed my hair"
Bette Davis
SallyG

Post by SallyG »

Whoa!! I'd love to know what that's all about....
Allen

Post by Allen »

I must say I'm scratching my head and I am also very curious as to who Michael is referring to. :?: It's none of my business but with a post like that it's hard not to be curious. :lol:
"He who cannot put his thoughts on ice should not enter into the head of dispute." - Friedrich Nietzsche
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Sorry everyone, not directed to anyone on the forum. My sincere apology if I stessed anyone out. Sorry.... So no one need wonder. Bunch of wonderful people on this site. Cool site, cool people. Sorry about the confusion.

But I'm going sailing. Bye. :wink:
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

I'm beginning to think that lead has contaminated everyone's food supply around here...
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Ok, how can I explain this? Hmmmm? Nope I can't. Oh well.

I edit the narrative above because it made some nervous. Of course I was in character, it was not directed to anyone on this forum and perhaps the wrong place to write it, whether it was meant for a novel or personally directed at anyone specifically.

I wrote it in the form, it was taught in my writing courses at school, free form, "as fast as you can, with as much feeling you can muster." Of course I confused everyone. That was not my intention.

Reading it I realized that many would think it was directed at Stefani or the Group from the forum that visited Fall River. Did not look good. So I removed it. It was not.

If I told you why I wrote it, it would become very clear, even humorous, but I understand that would open a Pandora's box and in reflection I have decided not to. It was a personal matter and should have not been placed here.

But being very descriptive and somewhat obscene, along with the fact that no one knows why I wrote it, I removed it. Sorry.

For anyone I may have confussed or offended you may PM me and I will render you a public apology.

Though I must add, and with shame, that the response to the post was at the least interesting. I could feel the concern in the words. That was not the intent. Sorry if I stirred concern. It was not a nice thing to do to friends. I pray no one here is angry with me.

Many of you comment on Brown's book; think it fiction. As you can see, It's not just Brown that can write fiction.

What say you RaYs?
Mark A.

Post by Mark A. »

Once again Stefani and CO. put on a great show. I've been to all 3 of her lectures here in FR and must say that they get better each time.
It was nice to see all the "Usual Suspects", Kat, Kash, Harry, Doug and his wife, and it was nice to meet Mike (Mbhenty) & Mary (Lydia). I also ran into Len Rebello and a host of others.
SteF's presentation was right on the money. She has a way of keeping the audience's eyes and ears and her. The material she used was interesting. I don't know where she digs this stuff up but I'm sure that Kat and Harry have a hand in it.
Another fabulous show.
I knew it was a hit when I was leaving with my 8 year old Hannah and before we made it to the car she said " That was cool, when is the next lecture?".
I enjoyed it and I'm sure everyone else in attendence did too.
Stef & Co. can pat themselves on the back for a job well done.
Mark A.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Mark, was that not a great performance, or what? So, so diffferent from what I thought it would be. I thought Stef was this real stiff scholarly type, "Ok everybody, listen up: you in the back, SIT DOWN, I'm trying to work here." instead I came away with the feeling that she was my own personal tutor, performing just for me and that I was part of it. Sure everyone there felt the same way.

And Hannah is very wise, Cool, Coul, Kewl, no matter how you say it. I could see what she saw. Of course looking at things I have many prespectives and one of them is the eyes of a child. When you see things that way some times you can not help but see them as "CouL"

And yes, it was a pleasure meeting you Mark>
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Thanks everyone, for your kind and generous words! I have to admit I was nervous doing the talk as this was a new venue for me. I had just gotten used to the quirks of the First CC space and then the switch this time to the Library---I am never nervous speaking in public, just the space can so affect my show that I never know until I do it just once.

And I have to say the Library was wonderful! They arranged everything just right! They even had the amazing foresight to have two entrances, one for before the show which was near the front and one in the middle/rear for late comers. I was totally impressed with all the thinking that went into that!

Paula Costa Cullen, the Assistant Library Administrator, was truly gracious to me and I thank her publicly for all her hard work in making this event shine. Keith Stavely, Library Administrator, showed me how to hook everything up and even climbed a tall ladder for me on Tuesday to set the projector just right! Thanks Keith!

The Friends of the Library sponsored the event so three cheers to Eleanor Mayo for the support! The refreshments were an unexpected surprise! And I heard nothing but kudos for their warm welcome.

It was great to see so many familiar faces and to meet so many new people as well. It had been a whole year since I had seen Kashesan and Doug and Marylou and Bill Pavao and Len Rebello and Shelley Dziedzic and Lee-ann Wilber and Mark Amarantes and Hannah and even Harry! And it was fabulous to meet Mary Naugle and her husband and Michael B! And then, just when I thought it couldn't get any better, in walked Neilson Caplain! I was in 7th heaven. He is a true gentleman and a sweetie pie to come and say hello!

The talk went overtime by a bit but everyone was nice about that. I had problems in the days before with my voice, so I drank tons of water, tried not to gab too much that morning and it worked out fine.

Now, after I am home, my voice is all back! Wonder if the humidity in FR does that to me?

Thank you all again for your kind words and I am so sorry I couldn't live blog as I had wanted to do. I was completely comsumed by the doings of the trip, and never had a moment alone the entire 5 days. We were out each day by 8 and our heads didn't hit the pillows until 1 or 2 AM. I never found a minute to sum up anything as I was having so many experiences!

I took over 600 photos and some video and plan on sharing lots of stories in the coming days on MondoLizzie. I hope you all will forgive me for my silence while away. I hate to promise something and then not come through.

It was great to be in Fall River but it also wonderful to be home again. I slept 10 hours last night!
Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
Kashesan

Post by Kashesan »

The pleasure was all ours Stef!
Next year I am going to plan it better, maybe book a room in FR too!

:smiliecolors: kash
"It seemed friendly enough, but it had sharp claws and a great many teeth. Alice thought it best to treat it with respect"
Lewis Carroll
Harry

Post by Harry »

This trip to FR will be memorable in a lot of ways.

First, Stefani's talk was superb, probably the best of the 3 I have attended. The woman has it when it comes to putting on a talk. Bravo, Stef.

And what can be better than traveling with Stefani and Kat. Folks, it doesn't get any better. Lucky me!

There were quite a few forum members at the talk. Seeing Kash, Doug, Marylou, Dee and Mark A. again is always a treat. What a shame it's only once a year.

Meeting other members for the first time is also great fun. Mary Naugle is as bright and wonderful a person as she is on the forum. It was nice to meet her husband as well. Michael (MBHenty) is a generous, bright and honest person, a pleasure to be with. Meeting Neilson Caplain at the talk was a personal high for me as I have been a long time admirer of his writings.

Chatting with Michael Martins and Dennis at the Historical Society is always a treat. Just wish we had more time to spend and do research there.

It was my first over-night stay at the B&B and I had Bridget's room. Lee-ann was more than kind and gracious as our host and Shelly was simply terrific in looking after us. She is a very charming and warm person and I'm glad I had the opportunity just to chat with her. Dave Quigley is a friendly fellow and cooks a mean johnny cake. Thanks Dave for a great breakfast. Sorry we missed Ben at the house.

Lee-ann was kind enough to let us into the loft of the new barn and while looking out the window facing Second St., Shelly surprised me by bringing in 3 pears from the trees on the property. Stefani went down to the parking lot and took some photos of me in the window with the pears. How cool is that!

The people at the FR library were fantastic, generous with their time and willingness to help us in all ways. Paula was especially gracious.

No trip to FR would be half as good without seeing Len Rebello. And this trip we were joined by Bill Pavao. Talk about having fun and picking up a few nuggets of Bordenia knowledge at the same time. What a blast even though I was having back pains at the time.

Can't wait for the next trip.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Mark A.

Post by Mark A. »

I do have to add that thanks to the presentation I had that "You can't chop your poppa up in Massachusetts" song stuck in my head for 3 days now!
Mark A.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Me Tooo! I thought I was the only one! As long as Hannah forgets that song you'll be OK! :smile:
lydiapinkham

Post by lydiapinkham »

That video was so wonderfully funny we are actually considering the video purchase just so we can watch the Fall River Hoedown. The good time gal Lizzie is indescribable. :lol:

--Lyddie

P.S. For those of you who want your own, Stef told me that the clip of the Fall River Hoedown is included on the DVD New Faces of 1954, available from Amazon for about 10 bucks.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Better hurry and order it. They list 3 copies in stock (and I just ordered one) with "more on the way".

I bought the DVD for $5.98 and a $2.98 S/H charge for a total of $8.96. The DVD covers the whole show not just the Borden hoedown scene.

One reviewer said this about the hoedown:

"The big highlight of the show is the production number of Fall River Hoedown, with Virginia DeLuce, a long-legged, lush blond who can kick the derby off your head, as Lizzie Borden. It's a great song, with music and lyrics by Michael Brown."

She is hilarious as Lizzie!
lydiapinkham

Post by lydiapinkham »

I think I got the last one, Harry. When I went online for it, just the one was listed. Btw, everyone, it's under "New Faces (1954)"--"New Faces of 1954" will come up empty. Can't wait for our copy to get here!

--Lyddie
Harry

Post by Harry »

Got the DVD in the mail yesterday. I'll probably wear it out showing the Hoedown portion.

The quality is not all that great and for some reason (maybe it's me) I can't jump right to the song. I'm using the Windows Media Player v10.0 and I probably need a dedicated DVD player.

I love the trial which consisted of the following:

"Attorney: Did you do it, Liz?
Lizzie: Dear me, no.
Judge: That's good enough for me. That good enough for you, folks?
Crowd: Yes
Judge: Then Lizzie, you're free."

:grin:
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Quick, go to MondoLizzie and see the clip! I posted it today. Enjoy ya'll.
Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good grief - what a riot that is!! :lol: :lol:
Elizabelle

Post by Elizabelle »

That is so funny! Thanks for posting that, Stefani! :lol:
LIZZIE BORDEN'S THEME SONG
(to the tune of Green Acres)

Fall River is the place to be,
city living is the life for me.
Bought a nicer house,
so big and wide!
Forget 92 Second Street,
that's where I was charged with homicide!
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

I want that red dress !

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Harry

Post by Harry »

That is one hilarious number. The actress who played Lizzie is credited as Virginia DeLuce (aka Virginia Wilson). There are a few entries for her in the movie data base.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0934270/

I located this cheesecake photo of her.

Doug

Post by Doug »

I want to add my "better late than never" kudos to Stefani for an interesting and entertaining presentation at the Fall River Public Library a couple of weeks ago. Marilou and I, too, have been to all three lectures in Fall River and all have been thoughtfully prepared and well-executed.

And, it was great to see everyone from the Forum who was able to attend, both old friends and new!
lydiapinkham

Post by lydiapinkham »

Hey, Harry, my dvd came this week. According to Amazon they still have just one copy left. That's what they claimed when I ordered mine. :lol: :lol: I don't care. I still love having it. Plus you get Eartha Kitt doing "Santa Baby"! Such a deal!

--Lyddie
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I wish I knew about the lecture. I would have loved to have gone it!
I heard it was very good and informative!
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes. the talk by Stefani in Fall River was a treat. Not only was it a great presentation but an entertaining performance on the part of the speaker, one who appeared to be in her element, doing something she enjoyed and obviously very good at.

Sadly, someone screwed up or else there would have been over twice the audience. The library, without pointing fingers or taking the blame, apologized about the missed add placed in the Herald News and gave no explanation to why it was never posted.

But, having experience this sort of thing many times in Fall River, I can not understand why a person or establishment would post an event in the newspaper two weeks ahead and not check the paper to see if it was there. They had two weeks. They should have checked the paper the day of the add. After all, they are a library. Is it possible that the library does not recieve the printed word, or is it that being schooled in Fall River no one there reads? :-?
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The same thing happened a few months before for a wonderful lecture on Fall River artist Mary Macomber presented by Len Rebello. Yes, it is puzzling and unfortunate as many who had wished to hear these presentations did not get the word.
bobarth

Post by bobarth »

Too bad it could not be taped and sold for those of us who desperately want to be there and can't.
The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mohandas Gandhi
Kat

Post by Kat »

The people at the Library were wonderful to us and it was a bit unfortunate.
I don't speak for Stefani, but I do know her whole philosophy of speaking is that she doesn't care how many are in the audience.
Micheal Martins once told me he could speak to 50 or 500, it made not much difference to him.

The Library told us they did not Not want people to come. They wouldn't have brought in a speaker if they did not want an audience. Makes sense to me.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes Kat: I hope my views here are not offensive to you or Stefani. It would pain me to think that it was the ultimate result.

Before going on here please allow me to note that any opinion I have about the Fall River Library is mine and mine alone. I have lived in the area for 55 years and my experience with the common unprofessional behavior of all city politics wears on one after a while.

My assertions do not embody the sentimets of Stefani Koorey, Michael Martin or anyone on this site. They are mine and mine alone.

To anyone in Fall River, on this site, or at the Fall River library aside, it is my right and I feel strongly that it is essential that I express them. I render Ms S. Koorey my apology if my statements here have injured, compromised or diminished any chances she may have to appear at the library again. This was not my intention. I have lived in the area and have seen this sort of incompetence over and over again. Again, these are my words, no one elses.

My point about the Library was not to reflect the feelings of Miss Koorey or Mr. Martins but those of the "public", the "potential audience" of which I am included. The injury was not to Ms Koorey but to me, the public. It has less to do with Stefani's impression and more to do with friends and others who have expressed their regrets in missing the talk. In principal the real loss here was to the countless Lizzie Borden enthusiasts and the community who experienced a missed opportunity.

Again, it has nothing to do with how the Library feels about the matter, but how they performed. And the fact is clear. Someone dropped the ball. As I said many times before, "One does not advertise or announce an event in the paper two weeks ahead of the date and "not" check to see if it was posted". It may not have been their fault, but the fact is clear; they dropped the ball, they get the paper, someone should have checked to make sure all the library's adds were posted. It's called professional ethic. Performing your job. Caring!

This is a behavior that is common in today's world. No one wants to take resposibility. All people do these days is throw their arms in the air and say, "no idea how that happened, not my fault".

Again, my apology to Ms Koorey. I am sure that if it is as it has been posted above, that the library were very nice, they will see the error of their ways, take my criticism as just punishment, and not fail to see that the statements I have made are mine and mine alone.

Sorry if I sound so harsh Kat. Please understand, this talk is not directed at you or anyone in particular, and as far as I am concerned I find this issue now closed. :oops: :oops: :oops: :!:
Kat

Post by Kat »

I can only add that I invited many people who did not come and I don't think it reflects on them, the Library or Stefani either. :smile: