Trip

Meet up, connect, make travel plans, and organize face-to-face get togethers in Fall River.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Kat

Trip

Post by Kat »

We usually seem to go directly to The House from the airport. Just to look and orientate ourselves. This time the map reader, who shall not be named, thought to direct us first to French Street. :smile:
What was so neat about that fluke was there was a Welcome sign out for us at French Street!. No, not at Maplecroft, but close! :smile:

What a wonderful surprise!

Then I noticed people congregating near the Maplecroft driveway at the garage and thought, in my usual naive way- "Oh there's a garage sale!"

I must admit I was encouraged by my cohorts to check it out.
I am always willing to walk into the lion's den- in all innocence.

So we met Mr. Dube finally.
He looks to be in good shape after that health concern he had a couple of years ago when his son was posting here.

Met his daughter who was charming and patient and hospitable.

Chatted a while. Left.
Went next door to where Lizbeth's servants used to live and met with a fine and welcoming reception. That is Michael B.

We whisked him off to see some sights.
We ended up at Westport Point which photo you can see at Stefani's Blog. Also we went to Horseneck Beach. We had stayed in Westport 3 years running and I had recently found out how close it was to where we were staying. We walked out to the water. The water was warm! The wind was fierce! There went my hairdo for the whole trip! Ah me! The sacrifice to have my feet in the Atlantic Ocean again! It was lovely!

According to Helen Pierce, Eleanor Roosevelt used to walk that beach when the Howes were in residence.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I have to add- that on deplane on the way UP (not Down- as New Englanders' call it) Stefani and I were chatting with her seat-mate on the aisle. She was from Taunton- grew up there- went to all her schooling there- yet now lives in Florida. I said "Hmmm...What do I know about Taunton- having never been there. I know! Your insane asylum burned down!" and "There was a big flood and people evacuated- was your family OK?"
They were.

Then I asked where she lived in Florida now. Then come to find out she had used to live on Sundown Drive- the same street we had lived on in Cocoa Beach!!! Different decades.
It's a smallsmallworld!
Kat

Post by Kat »

More later :smile:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Here is the sign Michael B. made.
It was so funny to see my name up there in foot-high lettering!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kat

Post by Kat »

We also visited Alice Russel that first day. The others' walked nearly the whole cemetery while I followed with the car. Eventually she was found. Poor Alice.
BTW: I actually have Alice in my current portable phone/address book!

While in the car, Stef's phone rang and I answered. I gave Stef her phone. It was Kash- all excited and contributing an idea to a future magazine article!

At Alice Russell's grave!
Wow!

Later, we ate at Highland Pizza and my stomach just growled when I wrote the name! Pavlov's Dogs.
It was tied in the top 2 pizza places I have ever been!
When you are in Fall River You Must Eat There if you like pizza!
Kat

Post by Kat »

I'll bet we went to Oak Grove that night. We don't just retire to our hotel when it gets dark. We hit Oak Grove. At Stef's Blog there are a couple of cool night photos of that. I didn't take any there. My camera only sees blacknightnolightforgetitdon'tbother. That's my old Kodak. :smile:

http://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/
Kat

Post by Kat »

OHMYGOSH the next day was Newport!
We had stopped by the Fall River Historical Society to say Hello and saw Anna and Dennis. The other ladies there were so pleased we had such a nice day for Newport- I could see they were yearning to come.

It was gorgeous out. We had brought great weather with us!

We picked up Michael B.- he of the French Street Welcome banner- and went to the White Horse Inn. The reason we went there first was because I had just finished 2 20oz. bottles of water if you get my drift... :smile:

On the way into Newport, there is maybe one chance to stop for a restroom. I think it's the Creamery. On the right that is. There are Plenty of places on the Left! :sad:

I went into the Inn which had a very pretty garden and asked if this is where they filmed the ghost segment from that show "Haunted New England" that had played about 12 times this year already. The staff said it was and that we could look around all we wanted. So Harry, Stef and Michael B. all wandered around while I used the facility. (I like to keep my carmates occupied in interesting things so they don't notice how often I need a facility- I drink a LOT of water :smile: )

The place was very cool and very picturesque and the staff was very nice. I can't recall the date of the building, but I think it was 17something.

Then we got lost in the little streets of the old town which was fascinating. Everyone had a favorite cottage. Then we found our destination which was the Washington Street house called Villa Marina- The Sanford -Covell house. It was visited and written about by the beautiful and witty Sherry Chapman and is also in the book The Two Williams.

We were invited in to tour and were shown every room that was not occupied. You have to go. It was outstanding.
You know my topic here called "Marianna Holmes?" Mrs. Holmes was sister to the mistress of this house, which is right on the water in Newport. There is family lore that Lizzie had stayed there when she wanted a nearby get-away.

It's #72 Washington Street, Newport. I called ahead to ask if we could tour.

Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Here Kat.

Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
Kat

Post by Kat »

WoW

Kat

Post by Kat »

WoW
This is from the same porch but looking the other way.

Kat

Post by Kat »

Bay View from B&B

Kat

Post by Kat »

WoW

Kat

Post by Kat »

WoW
Others got much better photos than me.

Kat

Post by Kat »

Oh Good! Stef gave the White Horse Inn a proper date! Thanks!! :smile:

Got a good pic of the Washington Street house?
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

tons, but may use them for the Hatchet, so I might not share them for a while yet.
Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Stef's pics are outstanding. Almost any one could be a "Cover."
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Wow, wow, wow, Kat. Great shots, came out real nice. What a place, the way some people live Huh? Just a cottage you know!! :lol:
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

You know what was wrong with that place Kat. A million rooms, but no library........... :lol: :lol:
Susan

Post by Susan »

Thanks for sharing all the gorgeous pics! Sounds like you guys had a wonderful time, so many things to do and people to meet! :grin:
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Harry

Re: Trip

Post by Harry »

Kat @ Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:15 am wrote:We usually seem to go directly to The House from the airport. Just to look and orientate ourselves. This time the map reader, who shall not be named, thought to direct us first to French Street. :smile:

----------------------------

We ended up at Westport Point which photo you can see at Stefani's Blog. Also we went to Horseneck Beach. We had stayed in Westport 3 years running and I had recently found out how close it was to where we were staying. We walked out to the water. The water was warm! The wind was fierce! There went my hairdo for the whole trip! Ah me! The sacrifice to have my feet in the Atlantic Ocean again! It was lovely!. ....
Here's a photo of our Kat getting her toes wet. The water was rough and it was WINDY!

BTW, the map reader knew exactly where he wasn't. :smile:
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Kat

Post by Kat »

:peanut19:
That's pretty funny Harry-the-map-reader!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I have a friend who never leaves home without his picture of Vasco Da Gama in the glove compartment. And he never gets lost! The great navigator was even Portuguese and would probably feel right at home in Fall River!
Kat

Post by Kat »

:peanut19:

~~~~~~

We went on to drive around the mansions and looped around the coastline, got back to Newport and were trying to find the Sunny Von Bulow place- 4 people could not recall the name of her residence!
I called Len from the car and he gave directions from the Tennis Hall Of Fame forward but we turned too soon I think and still missed it!
So we invited him to dinner.
We all went to Len's favorite restaurant in Fall River and the fettuccini with scallops and shrimp and lobster was fantastic- but there was too much food! I think 3 of us could have shared one meal.
That was a full moon- we were the last to leave. We lingered in the parking lot discussing Medicare, insurance, retirement benefits, prescription prices- you'd think we'd be trying to solve the Borden case! :smile:

Here's a pic of the last of Newport.
That was Day 2, Tuesday.

SuFiDC18

Post by SuFiDC18 »

Nice pictures Kat! It looks like the stars were aligned when you visited Horseneck. We've had a seemingly incessant Portuguese man-of-war infestation here this summer. I don't know what has brought them all in from the sea, but they've been washing up in record numbers. A few people have been badly stung by them and on one or two occasions, they shut the beach down to clean up and make sure there weren't any more.

The last few weeks have been more or less quiet, so hopefully we've seen the last of the buggers. :) Horseneck (as well as the Point) has some great views of Westport Harbor and the ocean. I hope you enjoyed your time there. Now you know where to go for a nice breeze and some relaxation next time you're in the area.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Oh good! We are back to Day 1.
I can show you'all the only *boat picture* I took at WestportPoint! :smile:
Thanks for bringing that up!

lydiapinkham

Post by lydiapinkham »

Beautiful pictures, Kat! Much posher than Second St., huh? :smile:

--Lyddie
Kat

Post by Kat »

I think Day 3 started at the Cemetery. It seems we were always in a cemetery. We had a map but guess what? It doesn't work. You can't tell the difference between a path and a road. We are learning tho. Harry was that map-man until he wanted to go 'awandering. Then I inherited it and was asked to guide us to a plot. I couldn't. I got frustrated and threw the map out the window. We weren't moving so it sort of just went <plop> on the ground. Very unsatisfying!

Next I know everyone headed off in different directions and I had followd Harry too slowly (he has long legs)- so then the next thing I know, I am *lost* in Oak Grove- thoroughly alone, turning in circles at a crossroads.

Sounds like my idea of a nightmare. Abandoned in a cemetery. :cry:

Just as I was about to feel sorry for myself, I heard the car purr up and it was Stefani! YAY!

Harry was in heaven- I think he could walk around there all day.
It was gorgeous weather BTW.

I had not taken any pictures. I relied on Har's photos. He sent me a disc that I received today so here is Harry's pic of Hiram & Lurana Harrington, and their little boy, George.

BTW2: The people in the office were wonderful and helpful!

Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Great photos Kat, I've been wanting to visit Newport, but never seem to have time when I'm in New England. I've always wanted to visit Seaview Terrace, the mansion used for the original Dark Shadows series.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

It's quite a place. Hard to believe it was moved stone by stone from Dupont Circle in Washington D.C. in 1924. Salve Regina leases it the last I heard, and when you all get back up here Kat, I'd love to give you a tour of Newport. We were stationed there a few times -no wonder Lizzie liked it and Bridget even gave it a whirl!

Belcourt Castle is another one not to miss. There's also a great ghost and vampire tour on Friday nights.

Seaview Terrace
qtpiegurl77

Post by qtpiegurl77 »

Oh, how beautiul! I haven't been to Newport in years. My mom used to work at Belcourt castle. Some of you may have heard about it on true crime shows, there was a big scandal with the Tinneys!
Just be yourself!
Kat

Post by Kat »

What's the name of the Sunny Von Bulow estate?
She's still alive, right?

Oh yes your article in the recent Hatchet (which was Wonderful by the way! :smile: ) says you had been stationed there! I forgot! Oops!
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Shelly, Thanks for the photo of Seaview Terrace. BTW: Dark Shadows actress, Alexandra Moltke, who played the Victoria Winters character, was the misstress of Klaus Von Bulow, when he tried to kill his wife, and had testified at his trial.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Clarendon Court-right on Bellevue- small by Newport standards. Sunny is still among us as far as I know, poor old thing. Oh the Tinneys! A scandal? I missed it. I used to do flowers for Mrs. Tinney when I worked in Newport at The Water's Edge florist. Do tell! I had just moved to Newport when the Von Bulow thing was in full swing- we all raced home to watch the trial on TV. Reversal of Fortune was superb and Jeremy Irons was perfect as Claus. Alexandra's testimony, if memory serves, did not help her lover.

Kat

Post by Kat »

Thank you very much Shelley. 5 people could not recall the name- 4 in the car and 1 on the phone! :smile:

Also, Oscar, I did not know that odd fact. Very interesting!
Kat

Post by Kat »

After all that time in the cemetery- where Harry found his most favorite stone BTW- and made me promise he'd get one just like it- :smile: I think we dropped Michael B. off at his house, stopped at the hotel for some R&R- got a good rest- and proceeded to the FRPL for the *lecture*.

It's kind of not the right word to describe what Stefani does- it's a media presentation where she also performs.
Being a college professor, she is used to performing, keeping the kid's interest.

I think it was described as like someone throws a switch.
All of a sudden she is *On.* Oh man- it's unbelievable.
The audience loved it, and everyone had a great time. It was neat to have Forum members there and have a sort of reunion. I was hugging everybody. It's always so exciting to see everyone. I can hardly stand it! I want to spend time with everyone but am mingling.
We had a special guest drop by- our new Hatchet contributor, Neilson Caplain. I kissed his hand. I asked him first, of course. I was overwhelmed. He is such a courtly gentleman. He came specifically to wish Stef well.

I met the *first Lizzie* and the Cook Borden lady who was a joy. Actually, I hit it off with them both later at dinner.

I met our Lyddie/Mary and her hubby for the first time. Our other members had come last time and have been described in other's accounts here. we thank them so much for their support! It is absolutely priceless!
Mark A. and Hannah! Kash from Boston area! Doug & Marilou Parkhurst!
And we missed our *absent friends,* Cynthia and Christopher!

Let's see... after the Show, we went outside and talked a while to Paula from the Library who organized the lecture. Even tho it might have seemed to some that we were ushered out- they did need to lock the building and let the staff go home at a decent time. But we all did stay and I got to meet her and her husband who is very interested in local history- and we must have talked for another 20 minutes! Very interesting couple. Very nice! Very helpful! In fact, I hope to correspond with them in future!

Then I hear Len is waiting for dinner! Ooops. I'd better get going! I need these kinds of reminders!
Len was great about it. Not impatient at all. Just waiting for us. I chat too much. :smile:
Another Gentleman!

So some of us collected at that Mill restaurant. I was along for the ride. I had no idea there were plans.

There were Bill Pavao and Len and Shelley and Michael B. and Harry, Stef, myself and the Cook Borden lady and the "First Lizzie"- Debby.
I was seated in the group I had traveled with for 3 days so I switched seats and went over to the *girls.* We had a wonderful conversation and I felt like I had always known them.
I'm sorry to keep calling her the Cook Borden" lady, but she was in Shelley's Hatchet article, in the last photo. She was in at the beginning when Shelley and them were running around filming their Borden Case movie. Please read Shelley's article about that in the current issue.

"The First Lizzie" was incredible! She was also wonderful, beautiful and caught a piece of my heart. It was great talking to her.

It's a really nice restaurant, and so far we have been taken there 5 times? A lot, anyway.
I was so giddy after Stef's performance that I only had a grilled cheese sandwhich. :smile:

Did we go back to the hotel after that? I can't recall at this point. :smile: I know we had an early day the next day- we were going out of town to Bill's, for one thing.

No pictures at the venue! We thought Richard would be there. There was a guy filming who I thought was Richard and I tapped him on the leg as he was standing next to me- and asked him if he was Richard? He said no he was from Comcast. I understand that is a local TV station? Other than that, I don't know what they did with the filming.

Anyway, that's why there are no pictures, at least from me! :smile:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Here's a token picture of Moi, to entertain you.
:smile:
Unretouched!
Harry took it (Probably Friday morning). "My back seat!"

Thursday we were out of town and then that Thursday night we stayed at the B&B. My first time!

Kat

Post by Kat »

Well, I guess everyone was underwhelmed by my big 'ole photo! :batman:
Yes Diana, that is my $5 velvet jacket!
Anyway, I have sent e-mails to people appearing in the next round of pictures and am awaiting their OK.
That would be *staying-at-the-B&B* pictures. :smile:
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Kat: Love the photo and the $5 velvet jacket! Could those be leg-o-mutton sleeves? ;-)
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

You know how much I loved that velvet jacket- Victorian fabric of choice! Actually the Cook Borden lady was Barbara Morrissey,and she has played Abby at the house on the 4th about 4 years ago but was not in my homemade drama- that was Barb Macdonald. Abby's a much easier roler than Lizzie (except for the falling down part). It's alwas good for us older gals to have something to "grow old into" when we hang up the hatchet as Lizzie!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks for explaining that to me, Shelley!

~ ~ ~

We were coming back from out-of-town Thursday and we did go to the Pet Cemetery in Dedham to see the Borden doggies' headstone, which was a really pretty place. Len found it right off the bat! Which was good because I only wanted to see that and nothing else. I went straight to the site then straight back to the car. I had my hands around my eyes like blinders on a racehorse, because I did not want to see any of the headstones. So what does everyone do?
They split up, wandered around and called out interesting inscriptions. One was for Polly the parrot! I was moaning by then. I got in the car and tried not to listen. Poor Bill Pavao was pretty much the same way, except he could take it. We were both cringing tho.

A whole graveyard for pets with wonderfully sweet inscriptions. My idea of not my favorite place. I thought I was going to cry. I told Bill about my dog and the pretty box I have his ashes in.

We met with a huge traffic jam outside of Boston of course, beng 4:30 pm by then. I called Shelley at the B&B and kept her apprised of our ETA, in case any Forum members came to see us there. We were very late but Doug and Marilou were there waiting, with sugar cookies made from Lizzie's receipe! YUM! Shelley had taken good care of them. When we arrived at the House I was exhausted! But seeing our friends rejuvenated me! Also talking to the other guests was giving me extra energy. It was refreshing to talk about the crime with these strangers who cared enough about the case to pay to stay at the B&B. I did get a new perspective on the autopsy photos of Abby. Mainly because we were in person.
Speaking in person was a luxury. I know if our members gathered in person, I bet we'd solve the case!

I wonder if that reward is still open!

Our *group* gathered in the sitting room with Len while the guests were in the parlour doing who knows what. When they came out we moved to the parlour. After that, I only remember talking to everyone and eating cookies. I forgot to go up the front stairs!
I forgot to go into the guest room! I forgot to go into Lizzie's room or Andrew's!
I can hardly believe that I stayed in the House overnight and never visited the second floor rooms.
I suppose Bridget was like that. It was like an invisible dimension of which I was unaware. My concentration, since we had attic rooms, was the first floor, celler and attics! A lot of stairs, too! There was no reason, as with Bridget, to ever stop at the second floor once I got going on the back stairs. The back stairs were my stairs and that was it!
Interesting experience.

Well, we had a great time talking. About all kinds of things.
And right after Len left Lee-ann took us out to the barn. We went upstairs to the office area so we could look out the new west window there. It seemed pretty high up. And it had quite a view!
In fact, Bridget's room was pretty high up as well and had quite a view! Bridget, if not napping, could see a heck of a lot out back on Thursday! Especially the barn and the yards behind- trees or no trees. Think how high the first floor is off the ground to begin with. Add that Bridget was in the attic and that's at least 3.5 stories, if not quite 4 stories!

Kat

Post by Kat »

Len and Michael in the Sitting Room

Kat

Post by Kat »

Beautiful Shelley on the attic stairs.
Her face is lit like an angel!
Harry took this pic.

Kat

Post by Kat »

Shelley and myself at the new west window in the barn loft- with pears!

Kat

Post by Kat »

Stefani has contributed 2 great photos of our Doug!

This is in Andrew's spot in the sitting room- with Cookies!

Kat

Post by Kat »

This is in the parlour- Michael, and Doug P and me.
Not seen are Lee-ann, Len, Harry and Marilou.

Susan

Post by Susan »

Great pictures, Kat! You look so pretty in that color, $5 dollar jacket or not! So, what is your new perspective on Abby's autopsy photos or will you be writing a Hatchet article on it? Thats so interesting about the back stairs and not going on the second floor, seems like you tapped into Bridget's vibe.
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Kat

Post by Kat »

Yes I have a note to myself to put that together and post it.
In the near future- not on this topic tho.

I've spent a looong time tonight looking at Stefani's trip photos! She gave me a DVD today.
Wow!
I hope to post a couple.
Susan

Post by Susan »

Great! I look forward to reading your new thread and seeing more of the great trip pics, I feel like I was there in spirit at least. :grin:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Harry at the West window of the barn loft. With pears. Shelley gave him pears! Stefani took the picture. Notice the full moon?
(If you click on the picture in the box, you will see the full photo)

Kat

Post by Kat »

Marilou and Doug in the sitting room. Not pictured are Harry, Stefani, Michael B, me and Len Rebello. Pic taken by Moi. Len was describing the interior..and changes made. BTW: the *new* sofa in the sitting room has not casters. The *old* sofa with casters is in the gift shop in the barn.