I'm off to Lizzie's!

Meet up, connect, make travel plans, and organize face-to-face get togethers in Fall River.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Richard

I'm off to Lizzie's!

Post by Richard »

In about five minutes I'm hitting the road for Fall River. I'll be staying at the Best Western but I'll certainly swing by the house tomorrow morning and take the tour (probably more than once). I'll try to get a few pictures to post here.

This is my second visit. The last time I stayed in the Hosea Knowlton Room in the attic. This time I'll be chilling in a jacuzzi at the Best Western! But I'm going to see Fall River in greater depth that I did last time, including the Historical Society.

The last time I was there, I couldn't tear myself away from 92 2nd, so I didn't have the pleasure of walking the streets and seeing the town (although I did try to do the Andrew Borden Death Walk).

Also, you all may be interested in that Weird NJ has asked me to write something about Lizzie for their upcoming Weird MA Part 2 book. There's no guarantee they'll publish it, but they did publish my article about Bethlehem Steel in their last Weird NJ issue and they seem to like my journalism. So I'll try to do Fall River and Lizzie justice. No doubt I'll post it here first so everyone can vet it and tell me what they think before I commit it to print.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.
A book shall be an axe for the frozen sea within us -- Franz Kafka
bobarth

Post by bobarth »

Have big fun Richard!!!!

I am so jealous!!!!

Cant wait to see your pictures.
The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mohandas Gandhi
shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

Have fun!! Wish I was going!!!
Richard

Post by Richard »

I'm here! It was really exciting to be coming over the bridge and to see the billboard for the Factory of Terror down by the river side just like when I was here four October's ago. If I feel up to it, I may take a Halloween tour through the haunted warehouse tomorrow night!

I was tempted to drive over to see Lizzie's By Moonlight but I just wanted to crash at the hotel.

Tomorrow I'm going to see French St., 92 2nd, the Swansea Farmhouse, walk around downtown and possibly hit the Historical Society.

Sunday morning I'm going to visit the Bordens at the cemetary.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Yes have fun! I want to be there too!!!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Richard, stop by the house after 4 if you get a chance. A monsoon is raging today in Fall River which began about 2 a.m. this morning. The 8 guests enjoyed the special effects! I spent my first night in the dark in Andrew and Abby's room and am feeling brave!

The wind and rain are incredible so we are all holed up in the gift shop wondering if there will be tours today. Jeff- I had hope to meet you in the cemetery today but that's out! :grin:
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

Have a good time! I am going to try to get up there around the first of the year, after I get my tax return.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I had a call last night from our own Bobbie Barth who is coming for four days in April with her friend. It was nice to talk to you! I wish we could get a Forum group together to rent the whole house (which can hold up to 20) . For 1200$, it would be very reasonable per person, it includes breakfast too, and I am sure Len would come give us a lecture, a tour of the city and Oak Grove notables.
Could be fun!
Richard

Post by Richard »

I made the tour and cemetary despite the winds and rain. I just didn't get to do my walking tour of the downtown area.

Shelly, I think I had just missed you but I got to talk to Dee, Lee Ann and Colleen who gave the tour.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I have cool pictures which I'll post when I have the chance.
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Looking forward to your pictures Richard ! This making me think hard about a third trip to Fall River...

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Richard- I was so disappointed in not meeting you-I was at the bank, and running a few errands. I thought you'd be here later in the day. Maybe I can catch you tomorrow morning? I usually have my little painted ladies walk around 9:30 or so, visit the cemetery, and take a few photos. Come on over to the barn if you get a chance around 9:30. I am in the hayloft tonight as the house is full- and everyone is still awake and going strong at 1 a.m.- I am glad we turned the clocks back. Strong strong winds tonight and it is a little creepy up here all alone-but the view is spectacular- and yes- I actually am eating a pear! :grin: :lol:
Richard

Post by Richard »

hi Shelley,
I don't know if I can make it to the house by 9:30 but I'll be at the grave about noon time for one more visit before I start driving home.

But I am planning to come back up shortly for an actual stay in the house. This visit was just exploratory to break the ice. Next time I think I'm going to rent a room at 92 2nd. Perhaps we can synchronize it so I can be there on an evening that your working so we can meet and chat.

If I don't see you at Lizbeth's resting place at noon, I'll see you next time I come to the house.
bobarth

Post by bobarth »

Shelley

Was great getting to talk to you too. Love the accents. That would be too kewl to have a group of forum members rent out the house, oh what fun we would have. Cheaper too!!!!
I took pictures of my little Lizzie house, cant get them to post on the forum though and the camera is new and I dont know how to use it so the pictures really dont do the little Lizzie house justice. Operator malfunction!!!!!!

Richard- Looking forward to seeing your pictures. I think my heart skips a beat everytime I read where someone is going to Lizzies.

theebmonique- Third time is a charm, would be a lot of fun to meet you and explore the house.
The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mohandas Gandhi
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Richard- just let me know when you are coming and I can request work that night. Usually I am there Friday and Saturday. It would be wonderful to coordinate a Forum night or weekend. The house rents out as I mentioned for $1200, so if 12 Forum Friends all could agree on a night -what a great time we could have and I could arrange some special events for us. You may wish to coordinate it for when the FRHS is open. December is a wonderful month as the FRHS has teas and the house is decorated. The tourist trade is down too, and things are quiet for exploration and discussions. August is always WILD as is Halloween. Food for thought. Hey, we're not getting any younger! :grin:
Richard

Post by Richard »

I love the idea of having Forum members do a block booking at the house. We really all should have a face to face meeting in the Sitting Room during the evening to meet, greet, discuss, hang out, recreate and take turns lying on the couch like Andrew. And then in the morning, devour some Johnny Cakes and go visit the Highlands and the Graveyard.

I can make it within a week's notice. If no Forum group develops, I'll plan to be up there in late November or early December.

Thanks for the invite Shelley.