New photos of Second Street

Meet up, connect, make travel plans, and organize face-to-face get togethers in Fall River.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Richard

New photos of Second Street

Post by Richard »

I took a walk towards the house from the north and took some photographs. I'm not a very good photographer and the lighting wasn't so hot...but thought you guys might enjoy these.

Here's a sign near the parking lot in front of Borden Place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A book shall be an axe for the frozen sea within us -- Franz Kafka
Richard

Post by Richard »

Here's a few approaches on Second Street from the North rounding the corner to the side of Borden place
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Getting closer
Richard

Post by Richard »

Getting closer.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Note the significant absence of a print shop.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Here's a detail of the bus station across the street. At first I was intrigued by the letters RDEN that are visible in the sign that's been removed. After taking the photo and examining it, I realize it really reads GARDEN. Does anyone know whether there was once a chinese take-out across the street from the Borden house?
Kat

Post by Kat »

Nope But I think there was a Pub! :smile:

Whereabouts was the "Lizzies" sign? That is or is not Lizzie Borden B&B property?

I'd say you take good pictures!

I hadn't realized how far back the barn is on the property.

Thanks for the pictures!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi Kat, thanks for the compliments on my photographic skills. A friend of mine who is a professional photographer is going to give me lessons and I'm slowly learning what to look for when I look through a lens. Hopefully over time I can supply more quality photos for the Forum. With these photos I wasn't thinking "artsy," I was just thinking "Oh cool, look at that!"

Lee Ann told me they had to push the barn back further than the actual barn was so they can accomodate the parking lot. It was a compromise. But it's so cool to be in the barn. They even have a prop box full of pieces of iron and old tools! And of course the display of items from the privvy excavation. Next time I'm there I'll take a few close ups of those.

The Lizzies sign is north of Borden Place apartments. If you expand the photo for detail and look behind the mail trucks (facing South), you'll see the BP apartment building and the hedge lettering. Of course the House is behind that. Next time I'm there, I'll get a photo of the Lizzie's building.

Shortly to the right of this photo, the road starts bending around towards our favorite Bed and Breakfast.
shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

Thanks for sharing the pictures! I love seeing the pictures!!! Is there a park where Mrs. Churchills house stood??
Richard

Post by Richard »

I don't think that's a park. I believe it's the side lawns for Borden Place, the apartment complex.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

It was a very nice little sitting area with gazebo for Borden Place which finally had to be removed because too many drug addicts were congregating there at night. I will be very glad when the bus station comes down. Removing the gazebo took care of the problem.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The Lizzie's sign is the parking sign on Third Street for the Lizzie Professional Building which years ago was also the Lizzie Delicatessen.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Richard, I found a reference to the Chinese restaurant across from #92 Second Street, in the Fall River Daily Herald of August, 1992. Sorry, no day. But probably within the 1st thru the 5th, sometime during the Conference.

It was called :
Pearl Garden (Chinese Restaurant).
Richard

Post by Richard »

I wonder if Lizzie would have requested "no MSG"!

Thanks. I'm happy I snapped the picture. It's an odd footnote.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Around 3 a.m. Sunday morning I was grateful that the sleazy bar in that complex is also gone now. One could hear the Last Call Gang partying on the street in the wee hours. Now it's mostly seagulls and sirens to contend with when the windows in the house are open and it was so warm this weekend, they were.
StevenB

COOL PICS!

Post by StevenB »

Now, maybe the next project will be to buy the Dr. Kelly house and restore that eyesore! Borden INN annex???

Steven

[quote="Richard @ Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:15 pm"]Here's a few approaches on Second Street from the North rounding the corner to the side of Borden place[/quote]
StevenB

Bus Station!!??

Post by StevenB »

The bus station is coming down!!??

Steven

[quote="Shelley @ Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:00 pm"]It [i]was [/i]a very nice little sitting area with gazebo for Borden Place which finally had to be removed because too many drug addicts were congregating there at night. I will be very glad when the bus station comes down. Removing the gazebo took care of the problem.[/quote]
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Scheduled, as I mentioned on another thread, for 2 weeks from now- the mailbox was moved this week.
StevenB

Bus station

Post by StevenB »

What Post? you mean its moving from that location? Too bad all those historic homes were torn down.

Steven

[quote="Shelley @ Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:01 pm"]Scheduled, as I mentioned on another thread, for 2 weeks from now- the mailbox was moved this week.[/quote]
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

SteveB I agree it is a shame those wonderful homes were torn down. I love the look of the Bowen/Miller house. I can't believe such a home would be torn down. Thankfully Lizzie's home is still there.
Does any one know why the Bowen/Miller home was destroyed? Did it fall into such disrepair it had to be torn down or was it just a casualty of modern development?
Ad

Post by Ad »

[quote=They even have a prop box full of pieces of iron and old tools! And of course the display of items from the privvy excavation. Next time I'm there I'll take a few close ups of those.
quote]

Harry, did you ever take photos of the privvy excavation?
It's nice to have someone close at hand to take photos for us who aren't anywhere nere the site.

I would love to see the inside of the barn plus displays
Ad

Post by Ad »

Sorry everyone, I'm still trying to figure out how to use the quote function
Harry

Post by Harry »

Ad @ Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:50 pm wrote:[quote=Harry, did you ever take photos of the privvy excavation?
It's nice to have someone close at hand to take photos for us who aren't anywhere nere the site.

I would love to see the inside of the barn plus displays

Sorry, Ad, I don't have any photos at all. I live in South Carolina and wasn't there when the "dig" occurred. I know there were some posted to the forum at the time. Lee-ann displayed several of the items found. They now display some of them in the new barn. Alas, no hatchet was found.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Richard

Post by Richard »

When you stay at the house, there is a scrapbook in the living room with tons of photographs taken during the renovation and the privvy excavation, and the items dug up during the dig are on display in the barn.
Shell73

Post by Shell73 »

Richard @ Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:18 pm wrote:Here's a detail of the bus station across the street. At first I was intrigued by the letters RDEN that are visible in the sign that's been removed. After taking the photo and examining it, I realize it really reads GARDEN. Does anyone know whether there was once a chinese take-out across the street from the Borden house?
Actually I think there was a chinese restaurant across there near the bus station at South Main Place. It was circa early 90s I will research the name of the actual restaurant.

Great pics btw!!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Hello!
Would you like to introduce yourself? Thanks!

Are you thinking of another restaurant other than Pearl Garden after all?

And a question- what is South Main Place?