planning trip to FR

Meet up, connect, make travel plans, and organize face-to-face get togethers in Fall River.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

terrie

planning trip to FR

Post by terrie »

I originally posted in the Privy, but can't get in there anymore(?) so I am opening it up here.

My niece and I will be going to THE house in June... any suggestions would be welcome... we'll go to Salem and Boston, too.

I can't wait!!!
Adminlizzieborden
Site Admin

Post by Adminlizzieborden »

Terrie, the reason why you can't get into the Privy is that for some reason when you joined you were given access when you shouldn't have. I instituted usergroups that offer levels of involvement with the forum. For a certain number of posts you acquire more access to the forum, i.e. privy, PM, email privileges. It was a glitch in the system. Sorry for the confusion.
terrie

Post by terrie »

Ooooh I see.... thanks for the explanation :)
terrie

Post by terrie »

Well...as long as we are here... I would still love suggestions, and have some questions:

what is scrod? I know it is fish -- lol --- but is it mild or strong?

who has the best crab cakes/seafood?

does Mr Martens still work at the Historical Society? I'd love to meet him.

does Mr Rebello live in FR? I'd love to meet him.

how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
Lee-ann

Post by Lee-ann »

Hi Terrie,

A scrod is a young cod fish.
Best seafood? That one is tough....Depends on how you want it cooked. Crabcakes? The West Deck in Newport. Go to Newport RI...they have it all.
Yes, Michael is stll at the F.R. Historical Society.
Len lives in Fall River.
About 8 cords before passing out.

When are you visiting us?
Lee-ann

Post by Lee-ann »

Oh...Cod is verryyyy mild.
terrie

Post by terrie »

lol --- thank you Lee Ann --- even answered the woodchuck question
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

Scrod is that good old fashioned New England Cod fish. It is very mild and for me, very delicious. I will never get used to eating catfish here YUCK!!!! I always thought the best seafood in the Fall River area was at LePages Seafood Restaurant on rt. 6 in Westport just barely outside Fall River at the narrows. Also Magoni's Restaurant just over the Brightman St. Bridge in Somerset is a very good well priced family restaurant as well as McGoverns Restaurant on Shove St. in the south end of Fall River. There are some excellent portuguese food restaurants near the B&B and I'm sure Shelley and gang can point them out to you when you are there and to me there will never be anything like a Fall River chow mein sandwich at Mee Sums Restaurant on South Main Street but of course you have to eat it with vinegar :grin:
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
twinsrwe

Re: planning trip to FR

Post by twinsrwe »

Partial quote by terrie @ Sun May 13, 2007 4:36 pm wrote:I originally posted in the Privy, but can't get in there anymore(?)...
Terrie,

Please click on the following link in order to obtain the current criteria for each usergroup:

viewtopic.php?t=2235

I hope this is helpful to you.
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
terrie

Post by terrie »

Thanks SteveS for the insider info.... that helps alot! I told my niece a year ago to start saving money...she's 18.... well... guess what? She has hardly saved any....lol. She says she didn't think a trip (from Ky to Mass) would be that expensive! So --it helps to know some nicely priced places too.

Thanks twinsrwe --- gives me something to which to aspire :)
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

You're welcome, Terrie. :smile:

BTW: Hope you and your niece have a great time in Fall River!
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

You are very welcome terrie. If I can be of any further assistance feel free to pm me.
In memory of....Laddie Miller, Royal Nelson and Donald Stewart, Lizzie Borden's dogs. "Sleeping Awhile."
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Chow mein sandwich Steve! Oh that was my chuckle for the morning. I had never heard of that before until I went to Mee Sum's. I am afraid I was not brave enough to try it. There is a chinese noodle place in Fall River which has been churning out noodles (a factory) for decades. Can't recall the name.

Mak You on Pleasant St has great Chinese too. My favorite is Sagres for portuguese kale soup, grilled octopus and paella. The flan is to die for. Terra Nostra has great saffron rice with shrimp, and I have never been to Estoril but I hear it is fabulous. Tony's bakery is a must on Columbia St. for sweet bread and linguas del gatos. I like the Eagle for lunch on North Main- great decor inside, and also on North Main, Roger's Coney Island dogs with meat sauce. Natives will also know about St. John's on Friday nights- family style plain cooking, Manilla Jade for crepes on Linden Street, Harry's for breakfast on South Main, and on and on- Fall River eats well! Can't forget Almac's diner on President's Ave either for meatloaf. mashed spuds and an ocean of brown gravy! Okay, time for breakfast :lol:
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

I'm glad I made you chuckle this morning Shelley :grin: I keep forgetting how typical Fall River a chow mein sandwich is. I love them though and Mee Sum's is the best. That chinese noodle factory you mentioned is The Oriental Chow Mein Company at 42 eighth st. in Fall River. They are owned by the Wong family and make the original Hoo-Mee chow mein mix that I thankfully get here in Texas via the internet at this link
http://www.famousfoods.com/
they have available via the internet, New England and Portuguese foods that arent available anywhere else. I get all my Fall River chow mein and chourico through that sight. It's a piece of home for me here in Texas.

Unfortunately Shelley, Mark You on Pleasant St. closed its doors recently. :cry: That place was a Friday night family tradition for my family since I was a kid and I'm at fast approaching that 1/2 century mark now LOL . Tony's bakery on Columbia St. is by far the best. All those restaurants you mentioned are excellent in their own right and you are making me crave my Fall River foods BIGTIME :grin: . It's funny you mentioned Roger's Coney Island hotdogs (gaggers, to Fall Riverites) :grin: because they are also unique to fall River I believe...well the coney island meat sauce that they use is anyways as far as I can tell. I had posted elsewhere on this forum that I always thought it was weird that you had Roger's Coney Island Hotdogs on 1 side of the street and directly across the street you had Roger's Funeral Home. Things that kind of make you go hmmmmmmmm!!! :twisted:
I also miss Almacs and Earnshaws dinners wyhich I think are also a part of a typical Fall Riverites upbringing and don't even mention brown gravy. I love brown gravy and all they seem to eat here is white gravy which I detest. They look at me like (gasp..a northerner) when I ask if they have brown gravy. Ok...now Im hungry too :roll:
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

PS: Shelley...don't be afraid to try the chow mein sandwich and make sure you put lots of vinegar on it. :grin:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Okay- I may just give it a try for tomorrow's lunch.
Am not so sure about the vinegar though.
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

That a Girl! I think you will like it. The vinegar of course is optional, but is a must for any Fall Riverite of French descent.
terrie

Post by terrie »

great suggestions all...thanks!

I, too, have some reservations about....a chow mein snadwich (or, as we say around here, sammich).
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Well, I chickened out on the chow mein sandwich but I did go to Terra Nostra on Rodman St, after all these years sending guests at the house there. It has been such a wet, windy and raw few days, I needed some hot kale soup. The I decided to give the bif portuguesa a shot. First a big basket of hot bread came out, the famous portuguese bread that is sort of cresent shape with litte twists on each end, then I got a great surprise. The "bif" arrived with an egg on top and a mountain of heavenly thick fried potato chips. The waitress said to pick them up and dunk 'em in the warm egg- YUM!! I am now an addict. The "bif- beef steak" was fork tender and as Len says "swimming". Which means a spicy brown au jus lake is underneath the steak, oozing garlic, red pepper and olive essence. Thought I had died and gone to heaven. Then you get to dunk dunk the bread in that savory juice. All around were happy Portuguese families chattering madly in the native tongue. They are so warm and family-oriented- great to see. Then the owner Gus, came over and thanked me for the thousand guests we have sent him from Lizzie's. I thought I might be getting a free flan- but - no- out of flan that day. Flan, for the uninitiated, is the lightest, creamiest egg custard with caramel syrup on top- forget cheesecake- this is just the best. Now- I am starving!
SteveS.

Post by SteveS. »

Your meal sounds awesome Shelley. Made me hungry reading it. But you really should try the chow mein sandwich sometime. It might surprise you.
terrie

Post by terrie »

OMG--- we leave tomorrow morning! I cannot believe it! I am a bundle of nerves (I am very anal retentive and have to triple confirm everything... I drive my own self crazy!)

Anyway --- we (my niece and I) could use some *good travel* vibes in the coming week!

I can't wait!!!!!

We'll do Boston first, then Salem, the Fall River ---our last night (so to speak) will be at the B&B..... looking for orbs and axes.

Who knows---maybe we'll stumble across a long hidden confession ;)
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Will you be there Friday night Terrie? Hope to see you then.
terrie

Post by terrie »

I'll be there Friday June 8 :)
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Great! I will be sitting on the front steps waiting for you and rolling out the red carpet :grin:
terrie

Post by terrie »

oh my goodness ---- you must live there..or nearby. That is so cool!

I am bringing my niece...she is 18 and just finished high school :)

How very nice of you! Thanks!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Actually I live an hour away but am happy to commute on weekends for the past nine years, and oftener in July and August. I am so glad you are coming now the historical society is open. We can visit there on Saturday, There is a great deal to see the first time around.
terrie

Post by terrie »

Ohhh that would be lovely --- but we need to be back in Providence Saturday morning, after we leave the B&B, to catch our flight back. WIll it be open Friday? I have no idea what we will do with our luggage until the B&B opens... unless they would let us take it on over.
terrie

Post by terrie »

sheesh --- I am sorry --- I probably sound confusing.... we'll stay in Somerset for a couple days and check out Fall River, spend the night there on the 8th, and then fly home on the 9th :)

That way we'll have time to look around and all.
terrie

Post by terrie »

Off we go----into the wild blue yonder!