Lizzie Borden Conference 2008 at BCC

Meet up, connect, make travel plans, and organize face-to-face get togethers in Fall River.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Shelley

Lizzie Borden Conference 2008 at BCC

Post by Shelley »

Since last summer, the thought of another large academic gathering in Fall River seemed long over-due. After approaching Jules Rykenbush, the centennial chairman of Lizzie Borden, a Century of Fascination, Jules seemed to agree the time was ripe indeed. With the proliferation of so many new forensics television programs, interest in the paranormal, true crimes, and opening of #92 Second Street etc. there is a whole new generation of Borden scholars out there who missed out in 1992.

My favorite Mother's Day gift this year was this website promoting the conference, which was presented to me at midnight last night by my youngest daughter. At last that college degree in Fine Arts paid off! :lol: , She is a graphic designer for a magazine in Rhode Island- and of course, I am very proud and very appreciative.

There will be constant updating on the site, with many exciting announcements to come. I do hope many of the Lizzie Friends here will be able to come out for, and participate in the conference This seemed to be the place to first announce the conference as the friendship and interest in our favorite subject is so abundantly genuine here on the Forum.

http://www.lizziebordenconference2008.com/
william

Post by william »

SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN, SHELLEY - GREAT IDEA!
bobarth

Post by bobarth »

AWESOME!!!!!

Look forward to seeing you and Faye again.

BARB Roadtrip???????????
The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mohandas Gandhi
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Am hoping this means we can add you and Barb to Team Lizzie. :lol: Now- HOW can we get that great house model out here to the BCC art gallery? Original Lizzie and Fall River -inspired artwork, sculpture and photography will be an exciting new feature this time around and the BCC gallery is a beautiful space.
bobarth

Post by bobarth »

As long as I dont have to drive!!!!

Mohandas Gandhi
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Naw Bobbie- you know I always drive the getaway car!
bobarth

Post by bobarth »

Now you all wont be picking on Lizzie will ya?

Mohandas Gandhi
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

What a thought! She will be the toast of the town- as usual.
BaAz5

Post by BaAz5 »

Bobbie, I would love to go, start checking the airlines!

Um Shelley, I don't remember you driving EITHER of our getaways LOL

:wink:
Michael

Post by Michael »

I'll be there with bells on, and I look forward to meeting many of the people on this forum there. (Well, maybe I'll leave the bells at home. : )

My wife's comment was priceless: "So what am I going to do all weekend?"
Q. "You have been on pleasant terms with your stepmother since then?"
A. "Yes sir."
Q "Cordial?"
A. "It depends upon one's idea of cordiality, perhaps."
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

"So what am I going to do all weekend?"

That's why there is the area attraction nav button on the website-for spouses of Lizziephiles! My husband has scheduled his annual fishing trip that week. I used to go with him to the wilds of the trout streams until the second time I fell into the water and he continued casting downstream, unconcerned about anything except rainbow trout. :lol:

And Fall River has plenty of OUTLETS in those old mills- shop till ya drop!
Michael

Post by Michael »

Thank you, Shelley. In fact, I'm going to mention your suggestions to my wife right now. Thanks again. (Missed you at the B&B the last weekend of April, but Lee Ann told us that you said "Hi". So here's a "Hi" back to ya.) We will be visiting the B&B again the weekend before Labor Day. Hope to see you then.) : )
A. "Yes sir."
Q "Cordial?"
bobarth

Post by bobarth »

[quote="Michael @ Mon May 14, 2007 7:47 pm"]I'll be there with bells on, and I look forward to meeting many of the people on this forum there. (Well, maybe I'll leave the bells at home. : )quote]

Michael: Bells? We get to wear bells? Awesome :razz:

Cant wait to meet you, this is just going to be the best.

Barb: I guess the only question is whether we want fish or steak for the gala dinner?

WHERE IS EVERYONE???

It would be great to meet up with everyone!!!!!

I am so excited!!!! This is just so cool.

Mohandas Gandhi
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

It is 14 months away, but it is exciting to think about it coming soon, and being a planning detail freak, the planning phase for me is the most fun.

Jules Rykenbush told me the last confernce in 1992 took him 3 years to put together with the help of the faculty and friends. The internet will be the biggest difference I think this time around as the news and conference site is posted to various Lizzie and True Crime sites and blogs. The response has been very encouraging and registrations on the early bird rates have begun. Two new items will be going up soon on the website, What's New, and Fun Facts which will change daily and include some of the more obscure and fascinating tidbits of Lizzielore.

The well-wishing here on the forum is very much-appreciated, and hopefully some of the folks here will consider presenting papers and programs. It will be three packed days of non-stop activity and exhibits and events throughout the city and on the BCC campus and hopefully everything you ever wanted to see and hear about the case and Fall River can be covered. There will be some of the very first Borden case scholars aboard as well as some of the newest , which should make for some lively discussions. Some of us old timers agreed last summer that we'd better get hopping soon while we still had some energy left and before the orthopedic shoes and walkers were required! So for us, this will be our last big hurrah on the case-and younger and peppier people can take care of the 150th anniversary, because by 2042, at age 91, I am planning to slow down a little. :grin:
bobarth

Post by bobarth »

Any chance of getting in Maplecroft? Or is it way to early yet to be asking for specifics?

Shelley when you get old and in a wheelchair or whatever, we shall still be pushing you around to all the favorite Lizzie sites. I promise we wont push you out onto a busy intersection or anything.

Mohandas Gandhi
Michael

Post by Michael »

Wow, Shelley, you guys are really serious about this. I just checked out the Web site. I'm planning to attend - with or without my wife, who is hedging. Sounds like a lot of fun. And, yes, Bob, Maplecroft would be great. By the way, there is an interior tour of Maplecroft posted on YouTube.
A. "Yes sir."
Q "Cordial?"
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Hi Michael, am excited you are coming next year. With enough advance warning, people can plan for these things. I always need a year to get my act together! There are many more enticing announcements to come over the next few weeks as speakers are made public.

I do hope Mr. Dube will participate. Yes, I gave the tape for the YouTube. It was produced by a Providence channel -sadly rather heavily edited.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I’m just getting back home and situated, as you guys know. My cats are just now finally able to forgive me. :-)
There were 2 storms while I was gone and they were scared. They made me show ID before they would come out from behind the curtain! Also I was catching up on my favorite shows I missed and baking chocolate chip oatmeal cookies to send to Harry in thanks for doing all the driving and being such a gentleman to pick up my dinner checks. :smile:

I did find it curious when I arrived in Fall River to be asked about this Conference. I had not been online since Sunday afternoon the day before my departure, and did not have any details, nor any personal knowledge whatsoever about this. As far as I knew, I had not been invited, had not seen any declarations of intent to hold a Conference, saw no announcement here and saw no website for it. It was confusing to me to be asked because I didn’t know anything.

It wasn’t until Shelley came over to the B&B on Thursday to be our hostess on our last night in town that I was made aware of the details firsthand, as she graciously served hatchet cookies and hot cocoa. :grin:

Since I work for the magazine, The Hatchet, all my efforts are in that regard and playtime is spent here at the Forum, as you all know! :smile: So anything I produce by way of writing or researching would be dedicated to that publication. Also, I have not ever given a lecture or spoken in public, other than at a family wedding. :smile: I have no experience in that.

In checking my e-mail, late the night of my return, I finally got to a “Forward” from a friend of mine here who was sent an invitation by e-mail. I did not get one of those myself and so I was even more curious. Then I was sent, as a “Forward” a second e-mail that was received that corrected the first. Personally I had received neither and still would not have known about this e-mail invite if my friend had not shown me it.

What I noticed was that the first invitation had our web address at the bottom for contact info! LizzieAndrewBorden.com
Curiouser and curiouser.
We had been approached last year, and Stefani more recently, by several different people who thought it might be time for another Conference, but after discussing it in detail, and over time, Stefani and myself decided that we were too busy with the magazine and other activities to be involved with any Conference.

I think what happened is that the first announcement by e-mail to people about the event had our website address, and that is why I was asked by everyone if I was involved! I was beginning to think my opinion was worth something as it was sought out so often- but come to find the question arose most probably due to this error by the sender in using our web address. Now it makes sense. (My head was beginning to swell after these queries) :smile:
Oh well. :smile:
At least that mystery has been cleared!

My best wishes, and positive thoughts, go to those who will be presenting, organizing, and attending the event and remember The Hatchet is ready to consider submissions someone might wish to send us, who writes about their experiences after it is over!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Yes, it is always good to make sure the facts are straight. I had asked Stefani last August to help me plan a conference for 2007, and then asked again in December. Due to a full personal life and the distance between FR and Florida, the decision was to decline. I am not aware of any other person suggesting a conference, but the idea has been kicking around in Fall River since the last Lizzie Expos- the Expos, were only moderately successfully at the beginning and did not offer any academic setting or presentations or call for papers.

In January of this year, I called Jules Rykebusch at his home in New Bedford and asked his opinion on the desirability of another conference. He was more than enthusiastic. I approached the Fall River Historical Society as well, and they echoed the sentiments of Jules. I then discussed some details with the owners of #92 , Donald Woods and LeeAnn Wilber how that property might fit into an offsite venue for a conference . Both were hoping for a confernece this year- but with all the construction across the street going on, plus the time needed to pull something like this together (it took Jules three years for the Centennial planning), I opted for the cushion of an extra year and aimed for 2008.

There were at first difficulties in obtaining the Jackson Theatre Arts building. The building which houses the 700 seat auditiorium, classrooms and spaces for rental is closed during the month of August and always has been, Jules obtained a very special waiver back in 1992 as t was the centennial, and had to be on August 4. He was also on the faculty, as were many of the speakers, and it was hosted by BCC- so naturally there was heavy support from everything from stationery for the event, to volunteers on campus.

After many phone calls and visits to the campus, Dean Kenyon interceded with Mr. Elliot at the art center and convinced the Powers that Be to back up the opening from August 28th of the Art Center to August 21st- the soonest possible date which was offered for the conference. During these discussions over the months of Jan- April- none of these details were made public to anyone except the few people and institutions named above. Why? Because if anything fell through it would have been a disappointment to many people,

Understandably this is a monumental load of work for one person, even with the loyal assistance of old friends, and I was particularly needing someone with experience with issuing call for papers, financial expertise and large event planning. I have personally organized six large scale conventions for Titanic International, but was very appreciative when Faye volunteered to assist with co-chairing and managing these areas, which could be done at a distance. With all of this finally in place, and with the support of the library, police department, and Second Street staff, Chamber of Commerce and other factions in the city, it looked like a green light by the end of April.

It only remained to see how to go about the announcement, and that was to design and launch a website. What was lacking in 1992 was today's easy access and outreach of the Internet. It seemed the Internet was the way to go. All good plans of mice and men often go astray, and as a Mother's Day surprise for me, my daughter, a graphic designer, and website creator, uploaded the surprise site for me and it went "live" before I knew it on Mother's Day. Immediately emails came in, asking about the conference, and from the handful of Fall Riverites who had been approached for advice who had been told a website would be shortly forthcoming and had been given the web address.

And so, on Monday, I sent out all the press releases, and notices to crime blogs, including Mondo Lizzie that a website was available for viewing. I then posted to the Forum, and I would guess Harry and Kat were in the air on their way to Fall River by then and missed the announcement. If one had visited either the FR Historical Society or the public library, staff there would have been in the know as they had been approached several months ago for advice, and had been advised of a website to come.

But the important thing is that we are ALL going to get a wonderful opportunity to revisit this case, with a lot of the original Lizzie people who have worked on the case for 40 plus years as well as NEW people and new presentations, and it will be good for the city, fun for all of us, and frankly, as some of us are ageing and tiring in strength and mobility- this will probably be our last big Lizzie hurrah. The younger set can think about Lizzie for the 150th- I plan to be in Adams Nursing Home on Highland Ave. by then.

I do hope as many who can come from the Forum will come- and that coverage will appear in the Hatchet after the event, and many submissions for papers and presentations will come from our ranks here.

Someone had to come forward, make the overtures, and make the moves to make this happen. It is a lot of work, as you can imagine-and more friends than I can mention said I shouldn't try to go forward, that it would be non-stop effort of dealing with details and personalities, etc. But we are off and running, excitement is building, lovely things are beginning to fall into place-so let's DO IT! :lol:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Oh my goodness- I also want to add THANK YOU Kat and and everyone for the good wishes! :grin:
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

The idea of a conference is wonderful ! Thank you Shelley for taking on such a project !

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
Kat

Post by Kat »

One of the most exciting things is meeting other Bordenites!
Forum members should really try to get to Fall River for a meet-up!
Harry

Post by Harry »

Kat @ Sun May 20, 2007 11:34 am wrote:One of the most exciting things is meeting other Bordenites!
Forum members should really try to get to Fall River for a meet-up!
I very much agree with that, Kat. Meeting other members in person is a lot of fun. I support Shelley's effort in every way possible and urge members to consider making the trip.

BTW, Shelley is equal to at least 3 people in energy. They should replace the energizer bunny with her. She's non-stop in her efforts to try to make you feel at home. THANKS again Shelley.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Kat

Post by Kat »

Agreed that the idea *was in the air* last year. No one knew another had mentioned such a thing. When that happens, you have a feeling the time has come. If anyone can pull it off, it's Shelley.
bobarth

Post by bobarth »

I am really enjoying reading the Daily Fun Fact on the conference website and am cutting and pasting them for my collection in a word document. I save everything and there is some great tidbits in there!!!
Since they aren't strung together and change daily, when they're gone, they're gone. This is really interesting stuff, I would not have known otherwise."

Mohandas Gandhi
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Thanks, Bobbie- I've decided to leave them on for one week and start over with new fun facts on Monday morning. "What's New" will debut Monday.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The new feature and blog are now live
http://shelleydziedzic.livejournal.com/
bobarth

Post by bobarth »

Shelley @ Sat May 26, 2007 3:14 pm wrote:Thanks, Bobbie- I've decided to leave them on for one week and start over with new fun facts on Monday morning. "What's New" will debut Monday.
That sounds like an excellent idea. My home computer crashed over the weekend and I was afraid I was going to miss all the fun facts.

Mohandas Gandhi
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

An update on speakers committed to appear to date at the conference 2008

http://shelleydziedzic.livejournal.com/

Many will recall Mr. Fletcher at the centennial conference as the charming gentleman who organized the call for papers. Boy, can this man talk Lizzie for hours! Along with his good friend and fellow faculty member at the Bristol Community College, Ray LaVertue, the pair make for an entertaining and informative duo on the topic dear to our hearts.
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I am sorry to announce that as of today, the decision was made to cancel the planned conference at BCC next August. If you forgot to refresh your browser today, this will be news. Although there was much enthusiam for a conference in the city, there were some difficulties with academics managing to attend as schools in some states would have started in late August and the campus was unavailable any earlier in the month. I have enjoyed hearing from Lizzie people, and had truly hoped a wonderful event would have been realized. Perhaps in 2017 some energetic souls will shoot for a 125th anniversary. I am sorrier than I can say to disappoint people who were looking forward to this, but it would be more than I can manage to undertake alone, without the backing of an institution. I am also very sad to disappoint my daughter, who designed the website for the conference, a lovely logo, and other graphics for her old Ma. Kids are wonderful, and I am blessed with these two great daughters who have rallied around all of my unusual hobbies over the years in any way they could help.

Such an enterprise takes a lot of work, many volunteers, and financial backing of course. I plan to keep up Warps and Wefts as a fun blog which I have enjoyed doing for Lizzie friends everywhere.
I sort of feel like the kid whose ice cream has fallen out of the cone, but perhaps in the future some smaller scale projects will be managed. Thanks for all the PM's and emails and calls over the past month since the website debuted on Mother's Day. One thing comes with age- the knowledge of one's own limitations.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks Shell. You must be sad.
You work so hard anyway all the time.

Well, maybe with the experience your daughter gleaned from creating a website, she migfht go on to bigger things in that regard as well!
twinsrwe

Post by twinsrwe »

Shelly, I am so sorry that the conference at BCC has been cancelled - what a bummer! I really fell bad for you, as I am sure you have put a lot of work into the planning of this conference. :cry:
In remembrance of my beloved son:
"Vaya Con Dios" (Spanish for: "Go with God"), by Anne Murray ( https://tinyurl.com/y8nvqqx9 )
“God has you in heaven, but I have you in my heart.” ~ TobyMac (https://tinyurl.com/rakc5nd )
Harry

Post by Harry »

Sorry to hear that, Shelley. I know how hard you work at everything you do. You have always been generous with your time and knowledge and you make the visitors at the house feel right at home.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Yes, a lot does go into the planning. When I first called Jules Rykebusch, organizer of the 1992 conference, he said it took him three years and the staff of BCC! The gang at the house on Second Street has been great, but of course they would have been badly needed at the house during the conference to cover extra tours, later hours and sales. It does "take a village" to put on a 4 day event which goes from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. everyday, and although I have a lot of energy, even that stretches my limits. People have been very kind, especially around the city, doing and donating what they could. I have a feeling this will be revisited someday, with a larger staff, and perhaps sponsored by a city business or institution.

My daughter currently works as a magazine graphic designer and has the conference site up on her resume website now along with many others she has done for clients, so it was not all in vain for her :grin: So, when you all come to Fall River, I am still able to give you "the abbreviated" Grand Tour, and plan to go forward with some small publication projects which are Fall River- related. There is always a silver lining.
kfactor

Post by kfactor »

So sorry to hear the conference is canceled, Shelley. It was sure to be a rich experience for all. The decision was based on your wisdom, no doubt, and that is important.

Besides, I feel like this forum is like a mini-conference of sorts each day.

Peace,

Kristin
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:sad:

Great effort on your part Shelley!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!:

I wouldn't worry too much, besides, Lizzie couldn't make it, Emma said she wouldn't speak, and Bridget was afraid to come and pass out the mutton sandwichs. The only others that could make it were Sawyer and Lubinsky. And now that they are dating each other you wouldn't get much out of those two anyway.

Attempt is 60 percent of success.......... :wink: :oops:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Yes, Emma had her Wheaton Ladies' Seminary Alumnae Reunion to attend (Class of 1868's 140th) so it would have been a squeeze for her timewise. And you know Lubinsky, he never could get his times just right! :lol:
theebmonique

Post by theebmonique »

Shelley,

I am so sorry the conference had to be canceled. I was so looking forward to the wonderous experience and adventure. Thank you for all you do for us.

Tracy...
I'm defying gravity and you can't pull me down.
terrie

Post by terrie »

I am sorry Shelley, I know you were working hard on this and had so much anticiaption for it. I appreciate your hard work!
bobarth

Post by bobarth »

I am bummed out, was so looking forward to the conference. I am fetching my mourning clothes and will be wearing black for months. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Mohandas Gandhi
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Thanks for kind words, everyone. I too am more disappointed than I can say. I am thinking about trying to do something on a smaller scale, maybe a one-day series of smaller venues and events at the cemetery, library, historical society and #92- but not for awhile!!! October is a great time to do something like this- around Halloween.:lol:
kfactor

Post by kfactor »

Shelley @ Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:25 pm wrote:Thanks for kind words, everyone. I too am more disappointed than I can say. I am thinking about trying to do something on a smaller scale, maybe a one-day series of smaller venues and events at the cemetery, library, historical society and #92- but not for awhile!!! October is a great time to do something like this- around Halloween.:lol:

That would be great!! I would definitely be interested in something like that!! But, only do it if/when you are ready - no pressure :smile:
Angel

Post by Angel »

That would be great, Shelley. And don't feel you have to do it on an anniversary or special day. Just do it when it is best for you. I'm sure many people would be interested, no matter when it would be held. I know I would.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I am encouraged! I once went to a great day event put on by the Graven Images Society which studies and preserves historic cemeteries. We had a great day of lectures in the cemeteries on Victorian funeral symbolism (a topic dear to my heart) and a great gal from North Attelboro arrived in full mourning regalia with her huge collection of memento mouri and gave a fabulous lecture on the customs of mourning of the Victorian period. I have approached the FRHS society once before to do a House Of Mourning in the old Brayton mansion with all the trappings which would have been typical of the period. This is why Halloween week is ideally suited. Then we could all do a lantern tour of the city after dark and finish up in the barn on Second Street for cider and doughnuts and a lantern light house tour. Well, it may just be a plan after all- if not for this year, maybe for next. The wheels are turning, and each institution would be responsible for collecting tickets, staffing etc. Maybe the Little Theatre could even put on a play in the evening. :cheers: