Lizzie Borden Lecture Announced!

Meet up, connect, make travel plans, and organize face-to-face get togethers in Fall River.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Stefani

Lizzie Borden Lecture Announced!

Post by Stefani »

Yours truly will be speaking in Fall River at the Fall River Public Library on Wednesday, August 15, 2007, at 6:30 PM. I am the invited speaker of the Friends of the Library. The topic of my talk will be “Lizzie Borden in Cyberspace.”

The event is free and open to the public. Seating is limited and no reservations are accepted, so please mark your calendars now! The address is 104 North Main Street, Fall River, MA 02720.

Ya'll come!

stefani :peanut19:
Read Mondo Lizzie!
https://lizzieandrewborden.com/MondoLizzie/

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
Mark A.

Post by Mark A. »

Stef in Fall River talking about Lizzie Borden.
What more could a Borden buff ask for?
I'll be there as will Hannah. I'll be sure to arrive early as the seats are sure to fill up quickly like your last lecture.
Mark A.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I'll be there too Stef. I wouldn't miss it.
A book shall be an axe for the frozen sea within us -- Franz Kafka
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

I have to work that day! Bummer. I want to go to.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
shakiboo

Post by shakiboo »

Wish I was closer!!! Break a leg, Stephani!!
diana

Post by diana »

I'll be there in spirit, Stef!!
snokkums

Post by snokkums »

I'll be there in spirit too, since I have to work. I am trying to save my vacation time so I can go to lizzie's next year, too.
Suicide is painless It brings on many changes and I will take my leave when I please.
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Stefani, I was talking to a historically-minded friend tonight about your lecture and bemoaning the fact that I can't be there.
She inquired whether your lectures (both past and present) are being videotaped for the archives. She also suggested that if they are, you might consider making copies available to members, who (like me) cannot attend, and sell them for a nominal fee to cover costs.
Sounds like a great idea to me! Is there any chance?
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

A large contigent from The House is coming, including Dee, Cemetery Jeff, LeeAnn and myself. Also Barbara Morrisey is coming down from Billerica, and All the Usual Suspects. Should be a fun evening!
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I laughed at the "I have to work that day" post. It was sweet of you to say that.

This is my fourth year speaking in Fall River but I still get very nervous about my presentations. I am used to talking to groups and don't even give teaching huge classrooms full of people a second thought, but speaking to a group of Lizzie Borden experts is another story! Imagine talking Lizzie in front of Len Rebello and Shelley Dziedzic and Kat and Harry Widdows and Michael Brimbau! And then those who work at and own the house on 92, who live Lizzie every day . . . . that is what gives me butterflies!

I wanted to tell you all that the publicity this year is tremendous! I was driving past the library yesterday and flipped out! There on their marquee sign (the one where they change the letters on the right of the door in the small park area), was a notice of the talk. It named the talk and me! That was so nice and surprising. I stopped the truck and gasped out loud! I will take a photo and show you tomorrow. Silly me forgot my phone has a camera now. Not used to using a phone that way!

I just got wind of several newspaper mentions: the Providence Journal, SouthCoastToday.com and the local Fall River Daily Herald. That one was a real great piece. I am deeply flattered and totally excited about this!

Stuart, good question. I have a movie camera but didn't even think to set it up. The darn tapes are only one hour and one would have to change tapes, which is a pain, plus you have to change the battery after one hour too. I will have to consider it. For sure, but don't hold your breath cuz it might be too much for me to think about this late in the game. But maybe . . .

Here is the paper. Thanks again all.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Read Mondo Lizzie!

Michael

Post by Michael »

Steph, did you consider publishing your talk online (assuming you have anything written down to publish and it's not too much trouble)?
Q. "You have been on pleasant terms with your stepmother since then?"
A. "Yes sir."
Q "Cordial?"
A. "It depends upon one's idea of cordiality, perhaps."
terrie

Borden Lecture

Post by terrie »

Oooooh I am jealous! I am sure it will be fascinating!
nbcatlover

Post by nbcatlover »

I'm so sorry to have to miss your lecture, Stefani. One of my tenants had electrical problems and my day was "eaten" by electricians. I'm really disappointed not to have made it to your lecture. I'm sure it was wonderful!

Best Regards--Cynthia
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

There was an excellent turn out- all chairs were filled. I recognized quite a few faces from Bill Pavao, Len Rebello, Barbara Morrissey and her sister Ellen Borden, Cemetery Jeff, Dee, LeeAnn, Dr. Mel Yoken, Richard Behrens, Kat and Harry of course, to folks from Boston and local Lizzie fans.
The event received excellent press and publicity well in advance which was a great help in getting the word out. Photos are coming soon. I left an appreciative crowd munching eclairs and punch and mingling happily. The news of Emma at Wheaton was enthusiastically received, Kristin, and the new Hatchet was passed around for inspection. Very nice evening all around.
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Wish I could have been there. I hope we get pictures!
“I am innocent. I leave it to my counsel to speak for me.”
—Lizzie A. Borden, June 20, 1893
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

Well, the talk went great and everyone was fantastic. The library outdid themselves---thanks to Paula Costa-Cullen and the Friends of the Library, especially Eleanor Mayo.

I met so many new lovely people, including RJR, Cemetery Jeff, and Isabelle from the Friends. And of course, the wonderful friends Len Rebello, Bill Pavao, Shelley Dziedzic, Kathleen Carbone, Harry Widdows, Michael Brimbau, Lee-Ann, Dee, Doug Parkhurst and Marylou, and so many others.

I didn't take any photos of me talking :lol: so those images will have to come from others. However, I did take a shot at that marquee. Sorry for appearing a bit proud, but this was such an amazing thing to see that I had to share it with you.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Read Mondo Lizzie!

Susan

Post by Susan »

You have every right to be proud, Stefani, and toot your own horn! Its not every day that one gets to see one's own name up in lights or on a marquee. It sounds like it was a great presentation, I'm sorry I missed it and all the gang that showed for it. Kudos to you. :grin:
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

It was a great presentation!

Not quite what I expected but truthfully with a title of Lizzie in Cyberspace, I wasn't sure what to expect.

The presentation makes very good use of computer slide presentation. It's very slick..I'm not sure what the Apple equivalent of Power Point is but Stefani is very good with it. The presentation itself is sort of a combination of Using the Web 101 and an examination of Lizzie Borden's presence on the web. A lot of amusing clips and in person Stefani is very energetic, engaging and humorous.

I think there was a pretty good turnout, although I would have liked to see more! I'm not sure how big the Libraries meeting room is but I would say it has to be able to seat at least 75 (actually I think it must be bigger than that) and it was fairly full, but I'm a big fan of utilizing the Libraries resources so MORE would always be better. What's nice is that the room is small enough where there was still an intimate feeling. I wonder why the Library didn't do this during the anniversary weekend?

I was lucky that this was held on a day I didn't work and right in Fall River and was glad to be able to attend. Originally I was going to just leave at the end (I guess I'm shy!) but was glad to have the chance to talk to Stefani, Kat, Richard, Len and everyone else.

As far as taping it goes. Perhaps if you come to Fall River again next year you could have local access cable tape it and they could provide you with a copy to put on youtube. Just a thought.

A side note, I would love to see Stefani hold a lecture in Fall River, outlining the different prominent theories, pros and cons and then have a Q&A! I would think that would be very, very interesting!
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

RJR, The lecture was done in Keynote, apple's presentation software. It is slicker than powerpoint by miles, and has killer transitions and special effects.

I always try to stay away from giving lectures where the theories are presented. I would rather talk about side issues and more interesting topics (to me). I think that I should leave theory lectures to those who have theories. I can't prove anything I think is true with this case and with all the authorities that attend my shows, I would also feel silly preaching to that auspicious bunch of Bordenites.

I would rather bring to the table a more unique look at the story or Lizzie or our understanding of the case. PLUS, this was a Library lecture and I really wanted to tout the use of libraries in the talk and focus some on that. I was a Librarian for 8 years and feel very strongly that people are relying far too heavily on the Web for their information, instead of using the public library portals or services. Nothing beats a good visit to the library to do research---handling documents and books sure beats typing on a keyboard any day.

I knew the audience would be a wide mix, from experts to novices, from seniors to young people, all with varying degrees of expertise with a computer. So the first part of the story was to get us all on the same page with regards to using the computer before we head into what you can find out there on Lizzie on a computer.

I appreciate all of your comments but I was wondering what you meant by "not quite what you expected." My students sometimes say that to me about me, that I am not what they expected, but then they never tell me what that means. Now that I have you here, please share you expectations and how they were or were not met. I am totally into criticism, both constructive and otherwise. How else am I to get better? This was a new lecture and I am sure it could use some tweaking!

I couldn't make it during the anniversary weekend, which is why we decided on the 15th of August. One time I gave a lecture on the evening of the 3rd, which was really cool. The FRPL schedules talks only on Wednesday nights, as far as I know.

BTW, are you somebody's "intrepid reporter"? If so, is that why you asked me questions about subcriber numbers and such at the talk at the library?
Read Mondo Lizzie!

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Is there anything worst than typing a lengthy reply and then accidentally hitting the wrong key and deleting it? Here goes my second stab at it.

I fear that my previous comment, which was meant to be nothing but praise may have read differently.

I enjoyed the presentation so please do not take the fact that I was unable to envision it before hand as criticism. I simply did not know what to expect, had some preconceived notions that it would revolve around a review of the case. The fact that it didn't and that I was wrong do not take away from your presentation in the least.

I think I described it pretty well when I said it was part Web Savvy 101 and part Lizzie Borden's presence in cyberspace. I consider myself pretty computer literate so a lot of the first 1/3 was on a topic that I'm pretty comfortable. My motto in such cases is, 'if I don't know it I'm learning and if I do, it's review' and there were some tidbits in there of things that I learned.

Now we get to Lizzie's presence in cyberspace and I found it fun and amusing, (particularly the silent film clip!) and you were engaging and humorous and really made the presentation.

Now we get to the Q&A section and I did find this a bit awkward because I thought the questions should focus on the presentation and not all things Borden. I'm not sure if everyone felt this way, but since you asked I'll mention it. Now for the questions I did ask, well I am no one's intrepid reporter. I use Google reader to keep up on a dozen different blogs and read a recent post on a 'Lizzie' blog that mentioned the forum and the Hatchet. I have a real issue with 'facts' because valid facts used in the 'right' way can pretty much be used to make any argument. So I was curious, how busy is the forum? how big is the magazine enrollment. I think your answers show more of an interest than what the blogger would conclude.

As far as your ability to lecture on theories in a room full of experts, well we are not all experts but I would certainly put you in that grouping and I think listening to you discuss various theories, or the Borden family tree, or a dozen other angles would be incredibly interesting. You better believe that if you held a lecture on Lizzie Borden's Fall River, I would want to attend.

I can't tell you how much typing this has pained me because I am very sincere in everything I've said and it would really bother me to have you doubt me for any reason.
Stefani

Post by Stefani »

I was serious when I asked for feedback and criticism! I always want to know how people expereinced my talks. When I was a storyteller, mothers of kids would praise my shows (20 min in length) and claim I was wonderful and would make a wonderful mother! I couldn't understand how they could tell this after such short meeting. But hey, they were heartfelt expressions of thanks.

I alwaysed wished that just one mom would take me aside and tell me how to do it better next time. Seriously! I don't think I can grow as an artist or as a speaker if I only get praise. So when you said I hadn't met your expectations I took it as a perfect opportunity to explore that with you.

Thanks for going into it more in your last post. That is exactly what I wanted to hear. Ways to be better next time!
Read Mondo Lizzie!

mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

:smile:

As expected, Stefani's lecture was a delight.

The library did an excellent job for promoting and advertising. Kudos to the staff and Paula Cullen at the Fall River Public library.

It was a nice comfortable evening and almost every seat in the house was full. (60 to 70 in attendance)

This is the second talk about Lizzie that I have attended, both given by Stefani.

As she did the first time, Stefani's approach and delivery was complete and captivating. The subject matter, Cyberspace, which holds little interest for me, since I hate computers, was presented as only a seasoned lecturer could deliver. If you have ever witnessed Stefani speak, you know what I mean. She holds your interest----period. Subject matter is diced and served as only a professional orator could deliver.

Though the subject matter at the beginning was a little dry for me, about computers etc., the Lizzie portion of the talk was mesmerizing and captivating, not to mention entertaining and witty. All in all a pleasant and informative evening. Even to the hard core Borden scholar there was plenty of knowledge to acquire. I had a very informative time, well worth attending------but then again, I'm sure I am not telling you anything you do not already know.

Awesome talk Stefani. Congrats on your success.

:sunny: :smile:

1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

What did the public think of your presentation, Stefani? Was it a packed house? It sounds like you had a lot of fun. I like Michael's suggestion of having your talk presented online so we all can read it. That would be the coolest! :smile:

Years ago a friend taught me a technique of dealing with butterflies. An hour or two before my speech I would walk around the stage and get familiar with it and the podium as well as the people behind the scenes. When I was called up I felt like I was among friends on turf I was already familiar with. I can still remember my first public speech at age 12. I thought I would wet my pants.

I wish I lived closer to Fall River. I would have loved being there.

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
1bigsteve

Post by 1bigsteve »

Thank you for the insight, Michael. I'm glad to hear it went well. :grin:

-1bigsteve (o:
"All of your tomorrows begin today. Move it!" -Susan Hayward 1973
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Yes, 1bigsteve. Stefani's a wonderful speaker. I could never, never stand in a room full of people and dish it out as effortless as she did, so I know what you mean. Yes, I'm glad it went well for her as well. :smile:
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

mbhenty @ Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:59 pm wrote::smile:

As expected, Stefani's lecture was a delight.

The library did an excellent job for promoting and advertising. Kudos to the staff and Paula Cullen at the Fall River Public library.

It was a nice comfortable evening and almost every seat in the house was full. (60 to 70 in attendance)

This is the second talk about Lizzie that I have attended, both given by Stefani.

As she did the first time, Stefani's approach and delivery was complete and captivating. The subject matter, Cyberspace, which holds little interest for me, since I hate computers, was presented as only a seasoned lecturer could deliver. If you have ever witnessed Stefani speak, you know what I mean. She holds your interest----period. Subject matter is diced and served as only a professional orator could deliver.

Though the subject matter at the beginning was a little dry for me, about computers etc., the Lizzie portion of the talk was mesmerizing and captivating, not to mention entertaining and witty. All in all a pleasant and informative evening. Even to the hard core Borden scholar there was plenty of knowledge to acquire. I had a very informative time, well worth attending------but then again, I'm sure I am not telling you anything you do not already know.

Awesome talk Stefani. Congrats on your success.
I wholeheartedly agree, that is exactly what I was trying to convey, I think mbhenty might have done a better job of it though!

I have to ask, mbhenty what type of camera did you use and how come you have not submitted any photos to my blog! I'm desperate for SouthCoast photo contributions!
Harry

Post by Harry »

Hame, Hame in my own countrie!

I went to FR to hear Stefani's talk and it was every bit as good as all of her previous ones. Her presentations are simply marvelous. Just the right amount of facts and humor that hold your interest. Kudos again, Stef!

These events are great fun as you not only get to hear a great lecture but sit with people you've come to know as friends. I'll let others list their names as being absent minded at times I'm more than likely to miss a few.

I will say it was great finally meeting Richard Behrens, "Cemetery" Jeff, and "Fairhavenguy" Chistopher Richards. Putting a face and a handshake with a name is always good.

The flight up was easy but I can't say that for the flight back. Suffice to say it was LONG due to weather conditions.

More later.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
mbhenty

Post by mbhenty »

Thanks RJR, I became interested in photography just after high school when I took a night course at Durfee when they had such classes. Must have been the early 70s. Soon after I had a minolta, a canon and a couple of olympus's. It was not until just recently, past two years or so, that I started taking photos again.

I have always had trouble taking photos of people though. Pointing a camera at someone is almost paramount to pointing a gun. Or at least that's the way I feel, though having a camera pointed at me is no problem. So most of my photos in the past were nature photos, boats, buildings, landscapes. Did one wedding once. That was a horror. Didn't like that at all. So people are not my best subject. I'm sure that Stefani would have loved it if I worked the room. Unfortunately she had to settle for a shot or two.

Since I live in Fall River, Stefani has asked me to take some shots for her, thus my involvement with the Hatchet magazine. Though I gave her a ride to the Library for her talk, I told her I was not comfortable with a camera and a crowd, so she said she would be happy with having me take a one or two shots. (think there was 10 or 11) The ones I displayed on the forum of Stefani's talk were the two I liked best.

I had an expensive Kodak last year, paid about 350$ but I dropped in in a pool of saltwater in my dinghy. That was that.

So I bit the bullet and purchased an entry level digital 35-mm Canon. It's a Canon EOS Rebel XTi. It came with a 28 to 55-mm lens. The cost was around 800$. The lens was very limited, so I purchased a Canon Macro Zoom lens. (Lens: 35 to 135-mm). That lens alone was almost 500$.

So, this arrangement I have with the Hatchet holds no promises and is something I just found myself getting involved in, so I never thought of submitting any of my photos to anyone else, but will consider it. Been finding that it's fun once again.

Thanks for the post RJR......

Richard

Post by Richard »

Here's a nice photo at the B&B taken after the library lecture. This is a subset of the Forum crowd who attended the lecture. Harry W. who was camera shy took the photo. I'm the guy at the top at the stairs.

Just for the record, NO ONE was in the room when the photo was taken [cue in Twilight Zone music!]
A book shall be an axe for the frozen sea within us -- Franz Kafka
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

mbhenty, I didn't know you were you, but I do remember seeing someone in the front row, near the coffee station and taking notice of their very nice digital SLR.

I have no background in photography but I do enjoy using my digital camera and sometimes find myself admiring more upscale ones. The Canon Rebel is certainly a great camera!

And Richard, I love the shot on the staircase, a great keepsake photo.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Great Photo Richard! Good idea you had, too!
That is Richard, Stefani, Michael, Kat, Doug, and Marilou- all members- Yay! And as Richard explains, Harry as well. I think they call that "not seen." :smile: August 15th, 2007
Kat

Post by Kat »

I've found out that Arnold Brown spoke at the Fall River Public Library- and also Frank Spiering! :grin: