Lizzie Borden Society Fall River Weekend

Meet up, connect, make travel plans, and organize face-to-face get togethers in Fall River.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Just to make this perfectly clear, as there seems to be some confusion, the gathering on November 9th is for LB Forum Members, and constitutes a private house rental function. I am the host for the function and am making the reservations for the rooms. The activities I have organized for Friday and Saturday are for my guests. Word of this planned function has been leaked to the public at large and circulated to non-forum members with some interesting results. It would be really helpful for all those who have emailed me privately to call me at the house tonight and arrange for your room, so I can be sure you get the room you want. As I mentioned before, the 10th is booked for another private party so our group has only the Friday night with Friday and Saturday day activities. Thanks! This should clear up a lot of misconceptions. The number to call is 508-675-7333 and I will pick up the phone from 4 p.m. until midnight.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks for clearing that up Shelley.
A book shall be an axe for the frozen sea within us -- Franz Kafka
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Today I was visited by two more forum members: Shelley (!) and "Cemetery" Jeff. When I took them inside the Fairhaven Town Hall and the library (both of which were being built during the summer of 1892), Shelley decided that they have to be part of her Saturday tour for the upcoming Forum Weekend.

I've got a key to Town Hall, so I'll be seeing those of you who come on the tour with Shelley on November 9. I promised to be in period costume.

I think she's planning both breakfast and lunch in Fairhaven that day.

I'll get to add more names to my signature line :grin:
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Thanks Chris for taking Shelley and myself into the Town and and library.
They are incredible buildings!
I really enjoyed seeing Mark Twains speech. That was something else :grin:
Thanks again
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Can't thank our "Fairhaven Guy"enough for a lovely afternoon of Victorian architecture and Fairhaven history. It was an enchanted interlude.

Plans have been finalized for the 9th, there is plenty of space on Friday and Saturday on the day trips, and a couple rooms left on the third floor for overnighters. Some local forum members are also dropping by but not all are staying at the house. I will be contacting everyone who called and emailed privately about the daytime agenda for both days, and rooms for Friday night. I hope this will be the first of many forum get togethers- we are all excited about finally meeting. The next one is scheduled for April- more on that later. :lol:
Harry

Post by Harry »

I'd be a little bit worried about the predictability of April weather. We came up last May and we had a cold day down in Newport when it was 49 degrees. They actually had a forecast of 80 for that day.

Personally I would prefer May at the earliest. If I did come up I'd be staying more than just the two days so the weather would be important to me.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

May is good- especially when school is out. We should come up with a few dates for May.
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Harry, in New England 49 is pretty balmy. . .

Actually, we can have snow (rarely) in early April and a hard frost until Memorial Day, which is why we don't plant our tomatoes or geraniums until after then.
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Frost date for annuals is May 15th, but I always give it another 10 days to be sure the petunias don't get nipped. The only thing which can take the chill is pansies and they are the first plant on the stands in New England in the early spring. Lizzie might approve.
Michael

Post by Michael »

The wife and I can't wait to meet everyone in November. I'm excited about this already!
Q. "You have been on pleasant terms with your stepmother since then?"
A. "Yes sir."
Q "Cordial?"
A. "It depends upon one's idea of cordiality, perhaps."
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Glad to hear you will be able to make it Michael! I think we will have to give you the prize for coming the farthest. The house is now full to the seams, but of course there is always room for the day trips and meals- so let me know if you can drop by the house Friday night for the Forum gathering or can make any other of the functions. November will be here before you know it.
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

My husband Ted officially got Sat. Nov. 10th off, so we will be coming down on that day. Can't wait to finally meet all of you.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Looking forward to meeting you and your hubby. I wish MY husband had some interest in Lizzie! But then again, I have NO interest in trout-fishing or fly-tying so I guess we are even.

The blog is up for the November get together for the forum. So far Ohio is the farthest distance anyone is traveling, with New Jersey coming in second! The plans for some May fun are posted as a possibility on the blog-, I hope we can manage 2-3 little outings a year.

http://secondstreetirregulars.wordpress.com/
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Shelley, does hubby know Lizzie claimed to be an angler? :wink:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Oh! Now there's an "angle" I had not considered. Maybe Lizzie was his kind of gal after all. Maybe I should take hubby up to Marion. You don't need sinkers for fly fishing!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Future Second Street Irregular, Kfactor has come up with a snappy emblem for the Fall River Muttoneaters made on a cool site called Seal Generator.

http://www.says-it.com/seal/pentagon.php

Warning: It is addictive. We can't do anything in a minute comes out in Latin something like
Nos non proficio quisquam in brevis vicis.
Unfortunately that doesn't fit on the official seal but it sure sounds impressive, like we know what we're doing. Maybe that can go on the membership card! Here are the choices to date:

ImageImage
Angel

Post by Angel »

Oh Poop!!! I wish I could come in Nov.
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Me too Angel, I just love all the animal photos that you've sent!!
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

That Muttoneaters seal needs a hatchet on it, doesn't it? You can't eat a sheep without giving it forty whacks first. . .
JoAnne

Second Street Irregulars Seal

Post by JoAnne »

I'm with you, Fairhaven Guy. I also think the seal needs a hatchet. But I really think the sheep needs a nice blue bedford cord dress!
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

What about something...oh, like this? :wink:

You'll need some sort of song too... Ewe Are My Sunshine, maybe? :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I staid the night for shelter at a farm behind the mountains, with a mother and son - two "old-believers." They did all the talking...
- Robert Frost
Barbara

Official seal

Post by Barbara »

I think a hatchet in its' head would be a nice touch. Will we need to pledge our undying support in blood? How about a pledge ceremony in Oak Grove,near Lizzie? The possibilities are endless.
Angel

Post by Angel »

No hatchets in the head, please! We animal lovers would protest.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Do we get to sing the Whiffenpoof song?

"We're poor little lambs who have lost our way
Baa, baa, baa
We're little black sheep who have gone astray
Baa, baa, baa"

I like Barbara's idea of a ceremony (at midnight of course) in Oak Grove.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

duplicate post
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Oh midnight in Oak Grove is part of the grisly initiation rites! I thought of the Whiffenpoo song too Harry! Well, England has its Beefeaters, Harry Potter has his Deatheaters, Las Vegas has its fireaters- and Fall River must have its Muttoneaters. :grin:

Yes, indeed we need a song to rally around. I'm open to suggestions here, other than You Can't Chop Yer Pappa Up in Massachusetts. We have a "secret handshake", a password, a mascot and a coat of arms, funny hats, a clubhouse, membership cards and pins and a decoder ring- what else do a bunch of kids need?

Ooo- Doug- nice hatchet over that sheep! I wonder if we need a hatchet- or a spoon on the shield? Not a deadly weapon of course, but helpful when slurping mutton broth. I can't recall anyone being spooned to death. But there's always a first time.
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Something like a cartoonish bowl and soup spoon, perhaps - or just a spoon would do. (Agreed on the hatchet, too.)

Ditto on the Whiffenpoof - I never thought of that one!

All I can think of so far songwise is...hmmm...I dunno...."Ewe Send Me"?? Nahhh!!! :lol: :wink:
I staid the night for shelter at a farm behind the mountains, with a mother and son - two "old-believers." They did all the talking...
- Robert Frost
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Okay, here's one with a spoon. :lol: See what ya think. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Robert Frost
Angel

Post by Angel »

doug65oh @ Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:08 am wrote:Something like a cartoonish bowl and soup spoon, perhaps - or just a spoon would do. (Agreed on the hatchet, too.)

Ditto on the Whiffenpoof - I never thought of that one!

All I can think of so far songwise is...hmmm...I dunno...."Ewe Send Me"?? Nahhh!!! :lol: :wink:

How about "Ewe-nited we stand, divided we fall------------"
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Hmmm…something with...a light ragtime feel to it, like:

Oh baby – you love of my life,
Let me tell you one thing that be true:
If it’s cold or if it’s hot
(Don’t really matter what we got)
I can’t sheep at night without Ewweeee!

Yathink? Maybe? :wink: :lol:
- Robert Frost
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

A crossed spoon & hatchet might make a nice balance on the shield.

:grin:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Yes! I love the crossed spoon and hatchet- just the thing! Behind the sheep? Kfactor can we make one of these? Oh my, Doug- if I didn't know better I would think you had been in the cooking sherry! :grin:

How about "I only have eyes for ewe"or
" Who put the chop in the chop-de-chop-de-chop, Who put the the ram in the ram-a-lama-ding-dong? (okay, so you have to be over 50 to get that one) :lol:
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

:lol: Shelley!! Yes, actually we could do a crossed spoon and hatchet I think. I'll see what I can work up. :wink:

You forgot a couple, too I think:

Ewe Send Me (by Sam Cooke) and...the other has just slipped my mind! :lol:

(You don't either have to be over 50 to get that song reference, hehe. Wasn't that the...the Dovells, same group that did "The Bristol Stomp"??) :wink:
- Robert Frost
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

"Mutton from Mutton Leaves Mutton" :shock:

(Nothing from Nothing lyrics---Billy Preston, 1970s)

or, my personal fav mentioned quite some time ago on the board---

"Pease mutton hot,
Pease mutton cold,
Pease mutton in the pot
9 days old..."
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Oh boy- we're on a roll now. By the time I get back from FR tomorrow night, my mind boggles just thinking what's coming next!
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Okay, here's the roughest idea of a "crossed implements" seal image. (It's more of a "V" actually but isn't bad, really.) The sheep is slightly smaller here, but not much. :wink:
- Robert Frost
JoAnne

Post by JoAnne »

I like the sheep on the seal but I think an upside down bowl jauntily perched on it's head would make a cute hat.The spoon could be stuck in the hat like a feather and an axe around the neck on a ribbon as if it was a bell .
You can all see ,I am bound and determined to dress up this sheep. Oh, where are my paper dolls!

How about the Beatles song"Do You Want to Know A Secret"

"Listen do you want to know a secret.
Do you promise not to tell.woh woh woh
Closer, let me whisper in your ear
say the words you want to hear
I DID IT WITH THE HATCHET woh woh woh"
Susan

Post by Susan »

Wow, what a great idea! :lol: I love it. There is a group called the Mutton Birds that have a few interesting songs, I've heard their Don't Fear The Reaper before.

http://www.lyricsandsongs.com/lyrics/MUTTON_BIRDS.html

Then there is an old traditional song called Green Peas, Mutton Pies:

Green Peas, Mutton Pies

Green peas, mutton pies, tell me where my Maggie lies,
I'll be there before she dies, green peas, mutton pies.
Three pairs of blankets and four pairs of sheets,
One yard of cotton to mend my Johnny's breeks.
Green peas, mutton pies, tell me where my Johnny lies,
I'll be there before he dies and cuddle in his bosom.
Baby in the cradle, playing with the keys,
Maggie in the pea park, picking up peas.

From this site:

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/folk- ... n_Pies.htm
“Sometimes when we are generous in small, barely detectable ways it can change someone else's life forever.”-Margaret Cho comedienne
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

Okay, now I'm scared - I could almost swear I've heard the tune that "Green Peas, Mutton Pies" is sung to! :lol:
- Robert Frost
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Ok, I'll admit I'm not good at graphics on the computer but how about the crossed spoon & hatchet. Then in the middle on top of both of them, then the bowl? It might look cute obove the sheep. Like I said don't know what I'm asking because I don't know the work involved.
kfactor

Post by kfactor »

Shelley @ Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:16 am wrote:Yes! I love the crossed spoon and hatchet- just the thing! Behind the sheep? Kfactor can we make one of these?
Whoa - I've been away from the forum for a couple of days because of pressing work stuff, and so much has happened! I will see about adding the hatchet and spoon to the coat of arms - there's got to be a way!!! What a bunch of creative, fun people there are here...
Michael

Post by Michael »

Hello, Everyone,

I've been enjoying the discussion of our "Coat of Arms", but I really have nothing else to add to it.

Also, kfactor, by the photo on your post, you must b a really young-looking 40, kind of like Harry is a slightly older-looking 16. : )

Just joking, everyone.

Anyway, the reason I am writing in is to say that I think we all owe a debt of gratitude to Shelley for arranging the Fall River excursion in November. I know how much work goes into setting up things like this, and I want to publicly thank Shelley for taking this on. So: Thank you, Shelley.

I've tended to shy away from online forums in the past, because of the bickering that goes on and the type of people they tend to attract. But I really do enjoy most of the posts on this forum, and I enjoy being a part of it. I read the forum practically every day, but I only participate when I feel I have something concrete to add to the discussion. Anyway: Thank you, friends.

My wife and I are traveling to Fall River from Ohio, and we look forward to meeting everyone. We always have a good time when we visit, which is a good thing, because my wife is not much of a Bordenphile. She goes to meet, and speak with, the people we meet.

Just wanted to say my part.

Hope to see as many of you as possible in November.

Michael
Q. "You have been on pleasant terms with your stepmother since then?"
A. "Yes sir."
Q "Cordial?"
A. "It depends upon one's idea of cordiality, perhaps."
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

I totally agree, Shelley-thank you from the bottom of our hearts. Can't wait to see all of you on that Saturday. My hubby listens about Lizzie but isn't as into it as me. He just want to meet everybody & loves talking to people also.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I have more fun than anyone- and love to plan things. I was so disappointed that the conference did not happen, and having this to look forward to really makes me smile! It was a great weekend in Fall River in spite of the rain, and I was able to get out and about with my new and improved digital camera, plotting and scheming for the November bunfight. Second Street is being "fluffed and folded" and polished with TLC for the grand arrival, and what will be, I hope the first of many forum gatherings at the house. I was happy to see one of the original six Second Street Irregulars Friday night, Deborah Shannon Valentine, -I had not seen her in years- and she and as many as can come from the original bunch will stop in to wish us well at the Muttoneaters bash on the 9th. Yes, it IS the people who make it all so much fun.
kfactor

Post by kfactor »

Michael @ Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:35 pm wrote:Hello, Everyone,

Also, kfactor, by the photo on your post, you must b a really young-looking 40, kind of like Harry is a slightly older-looking 16. : )

Michael
Well, Michael, as you can see by this picture of my cousin, that youthful appearance runs in my family:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

This weekend the Mystery Gourmet and I had a sampling of the clam "chowdah" planned for our Fairhaven lunch stop on Saturday the 10th of November- and it got ***** FIVE stars. 25 days and counting! :smiliecolors:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

As the weekend of Nov. 9th grows closer, a few emails have arrived about who the Second Street Irregulars are (Mutton Eaters) and who is coming to Fall River. This group is just an informal extension of people who have met here on the forum and like to get together to finally meet in person. Although the rooms at the house are filled, some local forum members are dropping by for the gathering at the house at 7:30 p.m. and a couple may be staying at a Westport hotel and joining us on day trips and other activities. If you are a forum member and wish to meet some of the posters here, please stop by and say hello Friday evening and share some pear crumble and mutton broth. With space limitations an issue, we can only accommodate a limited number of people at the house (fire codes) and so this is a gathering not open to the general public. A little blog (sometimes silly) devoted to the doings of this group is found at the second link below as well as photos of adventures. Warps and Wefts does not carry any info on these meetings. The May 23-24 get together is sold out at #92 but nearby lodging arrangements are being made to house the overflow. Kids aren't the only ones having fun. :peanut19:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Some of the forum gang are heading out tomorrow to join up for our little Second Street Irregulars gathering this weekend. We will be thinking of everyone and taking many photos of the adventures afoot. Our next get together will be December 16th, Sunday for the FR Preservation Society's Victorian House Tour which was such a big hit last Christmas. Second Street will be on the house tour again and we all will be in our best 1890's attire.
Harry

Post by Harry »

I'll be looking forward to hearing your adventures and seeing your photos.

To all - Have a GREAT time and enjoy! Just don't dare solve the case.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Hey, where's the photos and stories? Come on, give. :smile: