Lizzie Borden Society Fall River Weekend

Meet up, connect, make travel plans, and organize face-to-face get togethers in Fall River.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Shelley

Lizzie Borden Society Fall River Weekend

Post by Shelley »

On another thread we have been discussing the possibility of having forum friends meet for a weekend to meet each other and share our mutual obsession. I, as an innkeeper at the house, am delighted to facilitate this gathering, and organize outings and meals at the best possible rate for the group.
The house accommodates 12-16 people comfortably.
DATES AVAILABLE: October -no availability

Nov. 9 & 10
Nov. 23 & 24 (after Thanksgiving)

Deposit PER PERSON (using 12 people as a basis) (less if more book) TAX INCLUDED 115.19 per person
Balance of 115.19 payable upon checkout.

Harry, can you modify the poll with these 2 dates? Or maybe another poll? I need to act fast to pin this down. I can arrange suppers on Friday night and Saturday at a discount with the Abbey Grille (Lizzie's former church), outings to Fairhaven, New Bedford and a city tour of Fall River and Oak Grove, and a special guest speaker and house tour on Friday and Sat. nights, special "goodie bags", and extras. November will be a good time as it is a quiet month, the bad weather has not yet arrived, and photography, without all the foliage, is great in revealing views of houses and landmarks.
Let's do this thing!
Angel

Post by Angel »

Shelley, what airline would I take? And what airport would it go to? I could take off from Dulles, Reagan or BWI.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

You want T.F. Green Airport , Providence, Rhode Island. There is taxi service to Fall River, or I can probably, if enough people arrive around the same time, pick up 3 people in my car. Amtrak goes into Providence also.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Here is the Green Airport homepage which will answer a lot of questions: http://www.pvdairport.com/

Here are the main carriers http://www.pvdairport.com/main.aspx?sec_id=12

Taxis, limos, car rentals at this link http://www.pvdairport.com/main.aspx?sec_id=59
I do think we can carpool, share or arrange a pickup for many people attending.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

BUS TRANSPORT by Peter Pan/ Bonanza (one company)

Peter Pan has merged with Bonanza and the drop off is on Borden Street in Fall River, just around the corner from the house. Here is the November Schedule:

Friday getting there

Boston Logan Airport Bus Departure to Fall River

Leaving Boston to Fall River FRIDAY at:
9:30 a.m., 11:30, 1:30, 3:30, 4:30, 5:30, 7:30 Fare $22 one way, $40 round trip

T.F. Green Providence Bus schedule for FRIDAY to Fall River10 a.m., 12, 2, 4, 6:55 p.m. $20 one way, $39 round trip

SUNDAY RETURN

Fall River to Logan Boston Airport
6:40 a.m., 12:05, 1:10, 2:05, 2:40, 6:50, 8:10

Fall River to TF Green Providence
7:45 A.M., 10, 12:05, 2:05, 5:05 P.M.

WEBSITE http://www.peterpanbus.com/
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Just to check it out, I looked at fares between Toronto & Providence. All are in the range of $500 US. :shock: I've been on cheapie flights to England for around the same price. I do not understand airfare pricing. I mean, I'm not that far away!

My other option would be the bus, which is about $300. Been there, done that & not an experience I care to repeat.

Oh well---I'm still waiting to hear whether the publisher wants my book...

Perhaps next year...
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Canada- US airfare has ALWAYS been ungodly expensive and I don't know why. I suggested cheapseats.com. expedia.com, orbitz.com, travelocity.com, or other cheap airfare ticketing options. Yes, I would not want to be on a bus all the way from Toronto. :grin:
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

I shudder every time I think about my 4+ hour stop-over in Albany, NY.

:shock:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Even Hotwire.com is showing 534 dollars- wow- getting here is more than twice what it would cost to stay at the house for two nights with dinners included!!
Harry

Post by Harry »

Shelley, since you and others may want to do additional polls I posted a message on "How To Do A Poll".

Holler if you need help with it. I don't think you will though.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find
stuartwsa

Post by stuartwsa »

Tina-Kate, I live thirty miles north of Albany, and I shudder too when I think of going there! ;-)
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The good news is round trip from Albany International with taxes included is $250, about half of the Toronto ticket price! :lol:

Hotwire.com
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Before this gets too much further down the menu, I have heard from a few Massachusetts LB Forum people who would like to at least plan a DAYTRIP on a Saturday. I can't expect LeeAnn to hold the house indefinitely for our gathering, so please contact me if you want to put this together for Nov 9-10 or Nov 23-24. My email is Revdma@aol.com if you would rather not post on the forum. Nearly 100 people have checked this thread out, but so far only 2 have committed to the weekend of Nov 9-10-11.

If Spring would be better, maybe March or April, we can do that instead. Mostly, I just need to know something pretty soon about Nov. 9-11. A one-day function could include a tour of the house, trip to Lizzie-related sites around town, Oak Grove tour, lunch at the Abbey Grille, and if there is time, Fairhaven and New Bedford at the end of the day with supper. I expect this would be good for Massachusetts, CT, RI and New Hampshire Forum folks. The one day outing could be any Saturday. I am delighted to facilitate and coordinate this, I just need some feedback as to when. :wink:
Angel

Post by Angel »

Spring would be so much better for me.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Thanks Ellen! I need 12 people to make the house rental a good deal for all. So, if I could get an idea how many are wanting to go forward with the November weekend, or one day affair, it would help a lot. If we want the Spring, I will check into some dates for - April- May.
Kat

Post by Kat »

If you desire input, I cannot come back so soon.
3 trips up since last August is quite a lot coming from Florida- Kat
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Thanks Kat- I will put you on the Spring Preferred List! Yay! This is helping a lot- sound off everybody. :lol:

So far- 4 for a day trip in October, 2 for a spring weekend and 2 for Nov 9-10 weekend. I need to get 12 to rent the house at $100 per night per person.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I'm coming up in November regardless of whether we can get the whole house or not.

I know its bad timing...you have to book the house as soon as possible, but people may not respond to these postings for a few days, or even weeks.

I hope you can fill up the quota. But I'm coming in Novemer!!!
A book shall be an axe for the frozen sea within us -- Franz Kafka
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

That's great Richard, and I will be surely able to put together a Saturday jam-packed Lizzie day for local Forum folks at the very least. If only 6 come out to join us, we'll still have some fun. I will try to keep the dates open as long as I can without jeopardizing bookings for the house.
Harry

Post by Harry »

I too would prefer the May 2008 time frame. Have a ton of bills to pay the next few months.

Dental cleaning bill.
Veterinary bill for the cat.
Car property tax and license tag. (ouch)
Car 6 month insurance. (double ouch)
Everything but the air fare from the last trip.

My poor bank account! :cry:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Well, I know Kat and Harry and Richard have been to the house oodles of times. Maybe I should try to do a day event or a one-night for the Massachusetts area folks who have never been to the house or Fall River. For old timers, I suspect visiting the same old ground yet again may not be too thrilling. The fun part of getting Forum folks together is meeting each other. So we will see if any more want to still shoot for November, either all weekend or one day/nite, -and then try to aim for a Spring house rental. How's that?
Michael

Post by Michael »

Shelley,

I vote for November, BUT I want to do what's convenient for everyone.

Michael
Q. "You have been on pleasant terms with your stepmother since then?"
A. "Yes sir."
Q "Cordial?"
A. "It depends upon one's idea of cordiality, perhaps."
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Well, we have 2- only need 6 more to have one person per room, of course that drives the whole house rental price up a little bit frpm 12 guests , although I believe in November the rates do go down automatically. I have heard from a few forum folks who would like to join us on the Saturday for the day excursion to Fairhaven, New Bedford and around town. and for lunch and supper at the Grille. I would love to have a couple of special guest lectures for us too. Gee Michael- you were just there last weekend- ready for MORE!? :grin:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Has Richard been to the House ooodles of times? I didn't know that!

Personally I love staying at the House- it is very comfortable! I have to remind myself where I am- the site of an unsolved double murder!

Well, you certainly can plan stuff, Shelley- good for you!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Am thinking how many times you have stayed at the house, Richard- last year and this year, I know you have visited more than twice without spending the night. The day tours last 40-60 minutes and are great, but there's nothing quite like really living in the space to soak up the nuances of the place and to get a feeling for what daily life must have been like.

As far as any special planning, I enjoy putting together these mini-events for true Borden case enthusiasts-it is pretty much what I have done for the past nine years every weekend. From trips to the New Bedford bookstore to moonlight ramblings in Oak Grove! So it is not much extra work for me, although for Forum members, I would like to put out a few more extras!
When I stopped teaching, I was determined to do something I really enjoyed-and when you do that, it is never work, but more like fun. I have collected photos over the years of guests at the house as we have been locked in Oak Grove, snowed in the house for 2 days, celebrating holidays, etc. etc.- and these are all great memories for me.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Hi, Shelley, et al.,

Yes, I was just there last weekend, but I guess I just can't get enough. I am also interested in any of the day trips on Saturday. Let's see how it all pans out.

Michael
A. "Yes sir."
Q "Cordial?"
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The thing is to get a list going soon- whatever the plan. I have four so far interested in a day trip on an autumn Saturday. This would be a tour of the house, Oak Grove, Lizzie sites in town, Swansea, Fairhaven and New Bedford (if time permits) with lunch and dinner. Two of these four who have responded would spend a night. So, I need 6 -10 more for a whole house rental. I think by the time we do this ambitious day trip, one would want to spend the night from sheer exhaustion!

I would also provide stone rubbing supplies and techniques, hot and cold cider from a nearby cidermill, with cider donuts, and I would love to get one or two special guest lecturers. If we have at least one night in the house, I believe it would be a more leisurely experience and enjoyable for all. So, over the holiday weekend, give it some thought- and we can make it a fun Saturday from say 9 a.m. to supper at 5 p.m. at the Grille. OR a one nighter in November, or a 2 nighter in November or Spring. Or both. :lol:
Richard

Post by Richard »

If Forum folk are going to be in town and want to stay at the house, and if the rooms are filled, I'm more than willing to go to a nearbye motel. I would like to hang out as long as possible and see the special speaker, etc. and talk to everyone. I don't have to physically sleep there. But I would like to be part of the tours. Either way, I'm coming in November!
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Hi Shelley, Just had to check to see where the weekend plans were at!!! I have to work every other weekend but the two weekends you picked were fine. It will be a day trip seeing we aren't that far away from you. The only thing is that when the date is solid my husband has to ask for that day off, so the sooner the better. If this goes through I can't wait to meet other people from the forum. Because of no pictures & just screen names it should be interesting. Also want to thank you for doing all the footwork for this, I know planning for a group of people isn't easy. If it doesn't work out for Nov. will keep checking back for the spring dates.
Barbara

Lizzie weekend

Post by Barbara »

I am a new member to the forum and I would love to participate in a Lizzie weekend. I have a very close affinity to Lizzie and her house,having grownup in Swansea and having a last name of Borden.Thanks Shelley,you are always so willing to do whatever it takes to keep Lizzie alive.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I think what we need to do most is just firm up the date. I have been receiving private emails, and it seems as if some want to get together in the Fall, and another group in the Spring. Well, we can do this- we will just have two different groups of Forum Folks, which is okay. After Halloween, things will calm down a bit so I think we need to pick the 9-10 November weekend. This is a Friday, Friday night, and Saturday check out at 10 for daytripping.
November 9 is the Friday. It will be possible to meet early in the day and do some items before check in at 3:30 p.m. I think perhaps a tour of Lizzie -related people in Oak Grove before dark- maybe some stone rubbings, photo session, a visit to Sarah Cornell, then back to the house for a south end tour of the city and third and fourth street, check into the house, some hot cider and snack, then unpack and relax before a great dinner at Lizzie's old church, now the Abbey Grille. I can call to get group prices and we can probably get the balcony for our private party. Afterward we can see the interior of the church.

We have Friday evening for a thorough tour of the house, mega photo session in the house, a special guest speaker, then still have plenty of chitchat time. I think the chitchat is what we are really looking forward to.
After breakfast on Saturday morning, we can visit Fairhaven and New Bedford (only a short distance away) , stop by the two big antique mills which have books, postcards, and other great old stuff, then have lunch in Fairhaven (visit Mr. Eli Bence if you like and 19 Green Street and the New Bedford courthouse), then head back to Fall River. Another Saturday side trip could be Luther's Corners, the Swansea Farm, a North end tour around the Hill section of FR and some of the Lizzie-related houses still standing there, Battleship Cove, visit some of the great old mills for photographs, Weybosset Street, and maybe a meal at Sagres or Terra Nostra. You simply must have flan and kale soup. Across the street from Sagres is Tony's bakery and I think we need a loaf of Portuguese sweet bread too.

Mostly I want to leave plenty of time to talk, compare notes, take loads of photos and sample some Fall River cuisine. Maybe even a chow mein sandwich! So, can we start a list? I know Richard, JoAnne and Barbara, and Michael have expressed interest for this date. Shall we try to firm this up? I am at the house Thursday night (3:30- until Friday morning at 11). I really think if we are going to need at least the one night at the house, we should not wait too much longer to book Friday, November 9th. I'm excited! It should be fun.

In 1993, a group of FR locals plus me from CT started the Second Street Irregulars comprised of Ken Souza, Barb MacDonald, Len Rebello, Eddie Thibaut, and Debbie Valentine. We all used to meet at Eddie's house . Over the years some of us have drifted away, some of us work at the house, and some have moved. I think it would be fabulous to resurrect the old Second Street Irregulars once again and have a LB Forum chapter. What do you think? :lol:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I was looking back for some of those old meeting photos. This was our first meeting at Ed's house, summer of 1993, most of us had met at the centennial conference. Len Rebello and Ken Souza are on the sofa, Ed on the left side with Barb MacDonald. Barb was a elementary school teacher, who went on to become a lawyer. She was determined to get into those sealed trial files by going to work for the firm in Springfield!
Some shots of Ed's downstairs' Lizzie Chamber"
ImageImage
One of my favorite photos of Ed wearing my Sherlock cap taken at the Borden dog stone in Dedham- it was Ken Souza's 26th birthday party
ImageAnd here is Ken cutting his cake. Uh, with a hatchet of course.
Ed made a surprise appearance at my high school for my annual "Lizzie Day" which I had until I retired in 1998. The Irregulars had a lot of adventures Image
Another trip out to the Swansea Farm to hatchet hunt in the old well
Friends who share the same hobbies are friends indeed.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I had to look to find a photo of Deborah Shannon Valentine who most will know from so many Lizzie documentaries. Debbie was one of the few women Borden scholars of the 90's, and a lovely gal. I was happy to learn she will be coming to the house soon for her birthday- I have not seen her in so many years. These photos of Debbie were at my house when we shot our own Lizzie movie. Debbie was playing Bridget as you can see- oh, if I could only see Ken Souza's outtakes! Keeping a straight face was not easy.
ImageImage
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

And this is another classic of Ed and Len with Miss Lizzie on her way to the Lizzie Expo. The Down Under Cafe hosted the event and this dressmaker's dummy was decked out for the lobby. She was abducted holding her pear, and being a slow news day, it made the front pages of the Herald two days running. A reward was offered for her and she mysteriously returned, somewhat the worse for wear. We called her "Eddie's new girl" as he loved riding around with her in the front seat with her seatbelt on and getting "looks" from the locals! Those were fun days when we were younger and had more energy and more hair. :lol:
Harry

Post by Harry »

Thanks for the great pictures, Shelley. Looks like you all had a lot of fun.

I wish I lived nearer but will definitely try to make it up there for the spring-fling.

And welcome to new member Barbara!
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Glad to hear it Harry! I have been thinking up some "initiation rites" for the new LBForum Second Street Irregulars! Hmm... locked in Oak Grove after dark? 10 minutes alone in the cellar at the house at midnight? Hiding from all the other members in the house for 90 minutes without being seen while wearing a corset , leg o' muttons and 2 large petticoats? :lol:
Having to actually swallow mutton broth?- Oho! The mind boggles with possibilities. :peanut19:
doug65oh

Post by doug65oh »

"Having to actually swallow mutton broth?- Oho! The mind boggles with possibilities."

Eeeeeeeek!!! (You're an evil woman Shelley, ya know that??) :lol:
I staid the night for shelter at a farm behind the mountains, with a mother and son - two "old-believers." They did all the talking...
- Robert Frost
Harry

Post by Harry »

Ooh - the mutton broth will keep membership down. Better rethink that one. :lol:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Just got a call from Dee at the house and the last weekend in November after Thanksgiving which we had been pondering about for a get together is now GONE - a full house rental. So we are now looking at November 9-10.

I think it is fair to say December is too busy to consider. January-March is a quiet time, but weather may be an issue. So, can we nail down Nov. 9th this week?
Richard

Post by Richard »

Count me in for early November.
Barbara

Lizzie House get together

Post by Barbara »

Shelley,your schedule of events sound great. Nov.9-10 is good for me. I would enjoy meeting everyone. I have never been to the Fairhaven site,is it being demolished? We will have a good ,honest Lizzie discussion,no hocus-pocus. All the paranormal stuff can be left at the door. The more Lizzie addicts the better. I will prepare the mutton soup,an old family recipe.
JoAnne

Post by JoAnne »

Hi Shelly and all the other Lizzie Addicts,
This is my first posting. I am a new member. Thanks to Stephani for allowing me into the inner sanctum.
Shelly,you know Barbara and I have been to the house"oodles"of times. We feel like family by now. We always have a ball. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you . The November stay sounds marvelous! I can hardly wait. Let Barbara and I know what we can do to help.
Michael

Post by Michael »

November 9-10 is good with me (and wife).
A. "Yes sir."
Q "Cordial?"
Richard

Post by Richard »

Originally wrote:

Shelley, I got two of my friends to agree to come on Nov 9. And I'm getting one more party interested in well.

Clarification:

There was only one non-Forum person I spoke to and he said he would let me talk to Shelley first.

This was not an attempt to open this to the public.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

This is great- and welcome aboard Barb and JoAnne (aka Emma and Mrs. Churchill). Well, this date sounds pretty good to me, I will talk to Dee and LeeAnn tomorrow and I will get us on the calendar. Just call the house to reserve your room for the Friday night.

I will be in touch with the Nov. 9th gang via email by this weekend, I should be back from FR by Friday night. I agree, no matter how many times -even oodles- you stay at the house, it is the people who make it fun and different every time. There's still room for more new recruits! So, the First of Many Second Street Irregulars Meetings is officially called for Nov. 9th . Harry, even though you will be M.I.A., you get my vote for The Great High Poombah of #92 and can wear the funny hat with the tassel. I think this will be a lot of fun for everyone and I am hoping to get everyone togged out in 1892 attire for the group photo. By Spring we will have it all down to a science for the Second Wave of SSI's! :lol: It will be a busy 24 hours.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Great photos Shell! Thanks!
My gosh you are multitalented!

I love that word "oodles!" :smile:

Hi Barbara! It's so nice to see you here!
A big WELCOME to you and JoAnne!
kfactor

Post by kfactor »

If there is still room, I can come on Nov. 9 & 10th, but I have to leave early on Sat. the 10th to be back in Western MA to teach at 1:30. However, I am willing to make the trip, since this sounds like a fantastic event! And at least I would get to experience the Friday stuff....
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Great news Kristin ! Yes, do call today and make the reservation. The SSI's will be presenting you with the Golden Order of Sleuth Superlative for the Emma revelation! :lol: I am getting in touch with all the old Second Street Irregulars to stop by on that Friday night- Kenny Souza , if you are out there, call me! Over the weekend, I will be making some plans and times, and will send this info on as to when and where we will meet on Friday to kick off a non-stop whirlwind of activities. I am thinking 10 a.m. could be the start time to squeeze it all in.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Shelley,

Just to clarify, what is the special price for both Friday and Saturday night?

Or is this only for Friday night?

Richard
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Saturday night, the 10th is booked- whole house for a birthday party. I will talk to Dee and LeeAnn in about 2 hours at the house about our rates for Friday night. I called this morning and asked Dee to pencil in Friday the ninth for us to make sure we did not lose out while people got around to calling for their reservations. We talked about a whole weekend but in the interim while we were discussing it, Saturday the 10th booked -only two days ago. So- he who hesitates is lost!