May 2008 Fall River Forum Gathering

Meet up, connect, make travel plans, and organize face-to-face get togethers in Fall River.

Moderator: Adminlizzieborden

Shelley

May 2008 Fall River Forum Gathering

Post by Shelley »

I thought I had already started a thread for this but can't seem to find it now. The 23-24th of May was selected as the weekend everyone seemed to be able to get to Fall River for one of our "Mutton Eater's, Second Street Irregulars" get togethers that weekend. Currently Lizzie and Emma suite, and Abby and Andrew's suite with private bath are available both nights and John Morse room for Friday (am working on freeing it up for Saturday as well). I can also recommend nearby places to stay, and some folks who live close just drop in for the evening open house for the forum members. So, If you think you might want to attend this one, let me know so I can book accommodations at the house for you or help find something very nearby so the day trips and evening open house can be open for you. :lol:
Kat

Post by Kat »

Is there no attic available on the May dates?
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

There are a couple of nice B&Bs in Fairhaven, too.

The Delano Homestead B&B is a block from "the Green Street House" and was the home of President FDR's grandfather Warren Delano.

DELANO HOMESTEAD

The Briar Rose B&B is just off Route 6 and overlooks the harbor.

BRIAR ROSE

I'd suggest booking anywhere early. Late May is getting into wedding season and early summer travel. It's harder to find rooms then that it is for November. . .
I've met Kat and Harry and Stef, oh my!
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Hi Kat- I put aside Jennings for you and Knowlton for Harry already! :lol:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Morse room and Lizzie and Emma have just filled for the May weekend, Abby and Andrew's room have one double bed and one queen bed. It is also possible to put a roll away in rooms. Let me know if you plan to come soon! Our guest list to date includes "Cemetery Jeff," Angel, Tracey, Kat, Harry, Stef, Constantine, and local forum visitors who are coming for adventures and social time at the house Friday and Saturday night. The Hampton Inn in Westport is nearby
53 Old Bedford Road, Westport, Massachusetts, USA 02790
Tel: +1-508-675-8500 Fax: +1-508-675-0075
I think LeeAnn and Donald will have to add on an addition for the Second Street Irregulars! :lol: I do hope one fine day we will be able to recreate August 4th moment by moment with the gang taking the parts of all the major characters, where they were and what they were doing. Or what they SAY they were doing! I think Harry already has the part of Dr. Bowen all sewed up! :wink:
Tina-Kate

Post by Tina-Kate »

Shelley @ Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:04 am wrote:I think LeeAnn and Donald will have to add on an addition for the Second Street Irregulars! :lol:
May I suggest "The Maplecroft Annex"?

:cool:
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Great! We can carve that in the top step!
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks a bunch Shell!
I can't promise members now that I will be there in May.
That decision will have to come up closer to the turn of the year.
I want to come- but don't wish to influence anyone's reservations right now.

You are so sweet!
Angel

Post by Angel »

No, Kat- that's not acceptable! You have to come. :sad:
Kat

Post by Kat »

You guys are great! :smile: I'd love to come. Meeting members is my favorite thing in the whole world! I may not know my schedule by Spring, but I Will Try!
Michael

Post by Michael »

Shelley,

Wife and I are very interested in attending once again (even though the November event is not here yet)! Any rooms in the B&B left ?

Michael (mshogi@windstream.net)
Q. "You have been on pleasant terms with your stepmother since then?"
A. "Yes sir."
Q "Cordial?"
A. "It depends upon one's idea of cordiality, perhaps."
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Hi Michael! Well, it was very heartening to see the May function fill up so fast. I think we can just get the two of you in and now I am looking into some Fairhaven B&B's and other places in Westport for the spillover. The house has only 6 bedrooms, - 2 with an extra bed (Emma and Abby) so it does not take long to get a full house. And we have one or two rollaway beds too.

I was thinking twice a year would be enough for the "Second Street Irregulars" but we may have to go for a third gathering! We will be doing some things in May which we will not get to this time around as in May we have two full days and two full nights, so we are going further afield. As time is now getting close for the November meeting, there will be more on the "Mutton Eaters" site and more details sent to those coming in PMs and emails. Of course many photos will be taken of all the doings to share with forum friends here - and I hope one day we can get EVERYONE on the forum together for a weekend.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Thanks, Shelley. I'll have to mark this on my calendar, now. I'm looking forward to both gatherings - November and May. I can't wait!
A. "Yes sir."
Q "Cordial?"
Angel

Post by Angel »

Shelley, did you get my private message?
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Hi Angel- yes- just got it- I've been in Fall River (freezing to death by the way) and just got home. Yes, I will reserve a cot for Morse in May! :grin:
Our first big snow is on the way tomorrow with 8 degree lows in the morning!
Angel

Post by Angel »

Shelley, I have a big prob. I managed to get a room for Thursday, May 22 at an inn in Westport because I'm coming that eve, and I will be staying at Lizzie's on Friday night. But I still need a place for Saturday and Sunday. Can you recommend anything else? Another B and B or motel?
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I will get right on that Angel. I should be able to come up with something with 13 weeks to go!
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Shelley,

Email me if you need help.

Chris
(And Diana, Richard, nbcatlover, Doug Parkhurst and Marilou, Shelley, "Cemetery" Jeff, Nadzieja, kfactor, Barbara, JoAnne, Michael, Katrina and my 255 character limit is up.)
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

You read my mind Chris! I was going to ask you about a nice B&B in the New Bedford-Fairhaven area. I'd love some suggestions.
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

I've emailed you a list of Fairhaven places with links.

It's probably best if we keep specific members' arrangements off the forum for the sake of privacy.
kfactor

Post by kfactor »

I plan to be there in May, with Muttoneater's buddies Barbara and Jo Anne. I can't wait! I believe we have the Lizzie & Emma Suite... It's sure to be another memorable adventure...

Kristin
Michael

Post by Michael »

I have the Jennings Room for both nights. I'm willing to switch to Lizzie's room with someone, if they so desire. The reason is that I've never stayed in Lizzie's room, and someone asked if the attic is available. Just let me know. : )
A. "Yes sir."
Q "Cordial?"
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Ah! Too late Michael, I am afraid Kristin, Barbara and Joanne booked it back in November! The gals are FAST!
JoAnne

Post by JoAnne »

Miss Shelly,
It is with great haste that I felt obliged to respond to your careless remark concerning the good name of not only myself but also that of Misses Kristin and Barbara. Fast....indeed. How insensitive. You should know how important it is that one retains an unblemished reputation.
I'm so sorry to have to discuss this unpleasantness. I trust it will not happen again and we shall never pass another moment speaking of it.

Sincerely,
Addie(Jo Anne)
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

I hang my head in shame. Of course anyone who had ever enjoyed the honor of meeting you three exemplary LADIES would know that you were not FAST, LOOSE or saucy-but pillars of respectability worthy of the Women's Temperance Union ! I should have said 'QUICK, PROMPT, or EFFICIENT. Mrs. Manners rests her case. One look at the two of you speaks volumes.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

The lady on the left looks like she might be packing a hatchet!
To do is to be. ~Socrates
To be is to do. ~Kant
Do be do be do. ~Sinatra
Michael

Post by Michael »

FYI: I spoke with Lee-Ann and Donald yesterday and gave them my deposit for May. Getting excited, can't wait! Wooo! Hoooo!
A. "Yes sir."
Q "Cordial?"
JoAnne

Post by JoAnne »

Dear Miss Shelly,
Damn Tootin'. We're ladies right down to our pantaloons.
Ofcourse, I am the impeccably dressed lady on the right. I see Barbara is sporting her favorite watch fob around her neck again. She appears much chunckier than in person!

Yooper, you are very observant, just as Mrs. Churchill was as Lizzie's neighbor. I'm sure a hatchet is tucked in her skirt folds.

looking forward to seeing you all in May.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Tsk Tsk Miss Jo, is that a four letter word I spy!?? Get the soap!
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

Back on the subject of the May weekend. I know Shelley is planning lots of adventures, but I wanted to let folks know that if you're free on Sunday, May 25, there will be a free walking tour of Riverside Cemetery at 2:00 p.m., sponsored by my office. (Fairhaven Office of Tourism)

Sandy Main, a volunteer who guides this tour twice a year, has been doing this for several years now and presents a very interesting tour of this lovely rural-style cemetery. Memorial Day weekend is one of the times when the cemetery is at its most beautiful, with lovely flowering trees and shrubs.

I'm pretty sure that Sandy points out the grave site of Eli Bence as part of this tour. (And recently I told her about Richard's mini-film of Shelley at the grave last fall.)

The tour is about 90 minutes long and covers some uneven ground. Comfortable walking shoes are recommended.

The cemetery is very easy to reach from Exit 16 on Rte. 195. Email me if you want directions.

Chris
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Sounds good! Some of the Second Street Irregulars are staying over Sunday and I had planned to bring them to New Bedford and Fairhaven- this sounds like just the ticket!
Michael

Post by Michael »

I personally am up for anything the group decides. I know I am going to enjoy whatever we do. (By the way, guess who just bought plane tickets into Providence, RI, for May 22-25? I had to mention it. With 18 inches of snow on the ground here now, I need to look forward to something.) : )
A. "Yes sir."
Q "Cordial?"
FairhavenGuy

Post by FairhavenGuy »

It's really nice around here in late May. One of my favorite times of year.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Wish I could say the same for Cleveland, Chris. The good news is that, by late May, our snow should change to rain. : )
A. "Yes sir."
Q "Cordial?"
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

A Sunday morning addition to the schedule will include a visit to the First Congregational Church on Rock St. for a service. This should be a glimpse of what Sunday church life may have been like for Lizzie. I've never been to a Congregationalist service.
Kat

Post by Kat »

I've only ever been in the lecture hall, with Stefani as guest lecturer. That would be nice to go to service in the Church.
I doubt I'll be able to come up in May tho.
Michael

Post by Michael »

FYI, everyone: I am starting a new job on April 21. As a condition of employment, I successfully negotiated that I would receive time off for our May gathering. Thought everyone would get a kick out of this.

Actually, we are staying at the B&B in May (for the Forum's gathering) and over July 4 weekend. Pretty cool, huh? : )
A. "Yes sir."
Q "Cordial?"
kfactor

Post by kfactor »

Michael, that is so great! Did you tell the people at your new job *exactly* what the May gathering is about?? Sounds like you found a good work environment. :lol:

Congratulations on the new job, and I look forward to seeing you and Katrina in May.

Kristin
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

Love that avatar kfactor!
Michael

Post by Michael »

Actually, I just told them I had a pre-planned trip for May that I absolutely cannot miss. I left Lizzie out of it. :)
A. "Yes sir."
Q "Cordial?"
Michael

Post by Michael »

Shelley/Kristin,

Come to think of it, I think everyone should put a "Lizzie Clause" in their contract when they negotiate a new job. I might have to write a book about this. : )

Michael
A. "Yes sir."
Q "Cordial?"
kfactor

Post by kfactor »

Good idea, Michael! It is important to have one's priorities in order when negotiating a job. These Lizzie events are very important and cannot be missed for things like full-time employment!
kfactor

Post by kfactor »

Shelley @ Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:17 pm wrote:Love that avatar kfactor!
Thanks! It was time to give Wednesday Addams a break...
Nadzieja

Post by Nadzieja »

Hey Kristin, I like the new Avatar too!!! especially with the hat. Ted & I will be there also, we are staying overnight on Sat. at a motel nearby so we won't miss anything or anybody. We will be arriving early Sat. morning, I couldn't get out of work on Friday. Ted has to work on Mon. so it's up to him how long we're going to stay on Sunday. You're absolutely right--these events are just too important to miss. It's so good to get together with everybody who just want to share our similiar interest. We both can't wait to see everybody again. :grin:
kfactor

Post by kfactor »

Great!! I so enjoyed meeting you and Ted in November!
I am looking forward to meeting up with you both again in May. We had some good laughs...

In the meantime, I had better reacquaint myself with Photobucket so I can get any photos from the May gathering posted much more quickly than it took the last time...

See you soon!

Kristin
JoAnne

Post by JoAnne »

Kristin,
I've been telling you for months that you need to get your priorities straight and move back home. Your job puts a dent in our" Lizzie "fun.

Hi everyone...can't wait to see you in May. Barbara ,Kristin and I are planning a new cheesecake to celebrate the second gathering of the
muttoneaters.
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

The first one was a culinary masterpiece. I had better practice cooking on the old black stove- that oven is murder to calibrate just right. Dave has put an oven thermometer in it to keep track of the real temperature. LeeAnn does really well with it and has yet to burn one hatchet cookie in nearly 4 years! Don't want the mutton broth and roast mutton to burn Saturday night.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Katrina and I, as well, are looking forward to seeing everyone again. We're almost there!
A. "Yes sir."
Q "Cordial?"
Shelley

Post by Shelley »

A Mutton Eater's Newsletter is going out tonight. I have been in the hospital yet AGAIN this week with more kidney stones so I am a bit late with the updates. Our Friday morning venues have been confirmed today, with a visit to see the new portraits at the Swansea Library, and some stops at the Borden points of interest on the other side of the Taunton River. Two weeks and counting!
Harry

Post by Harry »

Ouch on the kidney stones, Shelley. Hope you are feeling better.
I know I ask perfection of a quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's what I'll find